News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Which is the best weapon for a character?  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
Which is the best weapon for a character?
« on: September 5, 2012, 11:12:44 AM »
Hammer, halerd and sword; what's the best give your character in your squads?

For PAGK the halerd seems to be the best choice because it will almost always give the character a chance to strike before being taken out. Sword is okay if you are short on points.  Hammer seems to be a waste because its easier to hide.

For Terminators the choice isn't as clear.  Halerds are good for the quick strike.  Swords give you more staying power against nastier foes.  And the TAGK will probably live long enough to use the hammer.  The rod might be good to tar pit the enemy character.

Thoughts? Comments?
« Last Edit: September 5, 2012, 11:30:54 AM by Halollet »
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
Re: Which is the best weapon for a character?
« Reply #1 on: September 6, 2012, 02:37:57 AM »
If you were going to take a warding stave anyway, give it to the character. As noted, there is nothing like a 2++ save challenger to annoy character monstrous creatures (wraithlord, tervigon, bloodthirster et al).

As far as the free stuff goes...the standard argument in favour of power fists is that whilst you run the risk of being killed before you strike in a challenge, if you do hit you'll flatten most 'normal' multiwound HQ characters - in a single blow, whilst a guy with a power sword will only likely do one wound, which isn't enough. The problem with this theory is that it doesn't work for knights - since everything's a force weapon, one wound is enough, it doesn't matter what weapon it's from.

The halberd is probably the best general-purpose weapon for duels. The extra invulnerable save for the sword only matters in close combat, and only matters against AP2 weapons, and  - whilst an improved invulnerable is nice, even a 4++ still only works half the time. The best protection is for your opponent to be dead before it's their go, and hence (for me) halberds are the way to go for terminator justicars as well if you don't want to take a stave.

That choice depends largely on how many AP2 close combat weapons you expect and whether you have the points. Versus a marine army, probably okay. Versus tyranids, for example, think very carefully (especially since they have stuff that will strike even before a guy with a halberd).

Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #2 on: September 6, 2012, 08:37:27 AM »
That's what I figured for the most part.

But there does seem to be a bunch of Daemon Princes, which I can't force gib, and hive tyrants with biomancy flying around.

I'm guessing it would just be best to deny the challenge then?  Its not like you need their leadership or anything.
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline cannon1fodder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: September 6, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »
Disregard what I posted before I edited this message, forgot to check the Grey Knight faq on force weapons.

Just a small note; against Daemon Princes and Hive Tyrants you CAN insta-gib them with the Daemonbane special rule regardless of whether or not they have Eternal Warrior. As long as its a psyker or a daemon you can insta-gib them without the usual psychic test to do so.

Edit: Now I'm confused about Nemesis thunder hammers, in the rules it says they use the rules for regular thunder hammers and the GW faq has also listed them as unusual force weapons, so do Nemesis thunder hammers count as AP 2 or AP 3?

With that said though unless you are facing Bjorn or some other vehicle character model yet to be made by GW, its best to go for another weapon other than the Nemesis thunder hammer. You already have hammerhand to boost strength of your Grey Knight/Inquisitor character.
« Last Edit: September 6, 2012, 05:40:22 PM by cannon1fodder »

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #4 on: September 9, 2012, 04:43:29 AM »
True, but Daemonbane isn't as good - it relies on them failing leadership tests, not you passing them, and they're generally Ld 10.

Not sure about the hammer. I'd argue AP2 but concerningly, if the FAQ says 'unusual force weapon' there's a good argument for only AP3.

EDIT - no, correction, it's ap2. Statline is now in the FAQ.

Depends. You do need a strike squad justicar's leadership for psychic tests.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2012, 04:47:09 AM by Locarno »
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #5 on: September 9, 2012, 09:56:54 AM »
I'd say for PAGKs, the Halberd. If your opponent comes along with a 2+ save character, opt to back out of the challenge and let your grunts with Hammers do the work in their pile-in step. If it's something with a lesser save it could be worth it to accept and hope that you can off them with a lucky force-kersplat.

Terminators, I find any is fine (yes, I like Falchions). For the most part they can weather it now, so a Hammer could be a good option. I personally don't like Staves unless they're on Paladins, but in a unit with an Apothecary using one in a challenge could be an amazing way to hold the line against anything less than Carnifex/ Bloodthirster levels of muscle. Probably the best use for it in the Codex right now.

Offline Grand Master Rex Nihilo

• Victory is one part planning and nine parts Faith
« Reply #6 on: September 9, 2012, 02:44:55 PM »
GKSS - Justicar I give him nothing as they are a shooty unit that once in CC are not shooting and not good enough in CC to get out and still be effective therefor not cost effective.
                       Daemon Hammer isn't worth it either on him as he can be picked out and will be dead before he can go and a sword is won't help as he has no invul.
                       Falchions are an option just an expensive one!

Purifiers - Knight of the Flame gets a halberd like everyone else in a Purifier unit, no DH and NFS for the same reason as above.

GKT - Here is where a NF Sword can be handy for cheap defense but not as much offense, Halberd/DH pros and cons are same as well with Falchions

Independent Characters are a whole other discussion.
7000 points of Grey Knights
6000 points of Fire Drakes Space Marines