News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Is it a good idea to equipt my guardsmen with grenades?  (Read 322 times)

Offline Kogrim

• Newest
  • I'm a llama!
Is it a good idea to equipt my guardsmen with grenades?
« on: January 3, 2004, 09:24:32 AM »
  Just starting to collect my IG army, haven't played any games with what I have yet. I was wondering if its a good idea to use points on equipting my guardsmen with grenades and if so, how many of them etc.  :) Thanks

Painting them in an 'Iron Warriors' scheme, I think they are coming along nicely, specially the tanks  ;)

Offline Koonitz

• Ignorance is your greatest enemy
  • Ancient
Re: Is it a good idea to equipt my guardsmen with grenades?
« Reply #1 on: January 3, 2004, 11:23:23 AM »
Usually? No. For every six squads you give Frag grenades, that's another 10 infantry you could have. The only benefit of Frag is if YOU are assaulting the enemy in cover. That should NEVER BE HAPPENING UNLESS YOU BUILD A SPECIFICALLY ASSAULT ORIENTED GUARD ARMY. If you plan to stand and shoot, use your guns to destroy the enemy infantry and vehicles at range, don't rely on grenades.

That being said, if you ARE planning on designing an assault oriented guard army that plans on assaulting enemy in cover, by all means, equip them with grenades.
I find it's cool to model the actual models with grenades, but not actually pay for them.
"I like to think of this lovely place as my home. Now you wouldn't even think about upsetting me in my home, would you? Of course you wouldn't. So do what I say, when I say, and I won't get upset. I do bad things when I'm upset."
-Drill Instructor, MechWarrior 2

"It is not my responsibility to prove you are wrong. It is your responsibility to prove you are right."
-Koonitz

"The next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face."
- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

TN

Re: Is it a good idea to equipt my guardsmen with grenades?
« Reply #2 on: January 3, 2004, 11:48:56 AM »
I disargee, I tend to give frags to the elements of my army that are likely to assault. Like a command squad with commissar and preist in tow. It's alot cheaper to tool out a platoon command squad for an assault/counter-charge role than a whole platoon.