News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Infantry Assault army 1500  (Read 328 times)

Offline Elysian Soldier

• For The Greater Good!!!!
Infantry Assault army 1500
« on: May 20, 2003, 06:55:10 PM »
First I broke down waht jobs will need to be done in the army. I will need a strong leadership base due to the losses that are sure to be taken. A Colonel with a standard bearer and a few grenade launchers should work well as the HQ can be mobile enough to keep up with the advancing infantry and stil give both leadership and fire support. I'll also need loads of heavy weapons to cover the advance and I can't have entire squads holding still to fire their weapons. Therefore I'll have to go with support squads attached to the HQ. I know it gets pricey but I need the cover fire and the mobility of my platoons. I Also decided that sentinels would probably be my best bet for some heavy fire moving with my advancing platoons. I really like this list and I am very excited to play it. Any suggestions are welcome, just be constructive.

-HQ-
Colonel /w Power sword, bolt pistol, carapace armor
4 guardsmen /w 3 grenade launchers, 1 standard bearer
=116

Anti Tank support team
/w 2 rocket launchers, 1 lascannon
=105

Anti Tank support team
/w 2 rocket launchers, 1 lascannon
=105

Anti infantry support team
/w 3 heavy bolters
=80

Anti infantry support team
/w 3 heavy bolters
=80

-Troops-
1st Platoon Command section
Lt /w power fist
4 guardsmen /w 2 melta guns
=66

Squad 1, 10 guardsmen /w 1 grenade launcher =68
Squad 2, 10 guardsmen /w 1 grenade launcher =68
Squad 3, 10 guardsmen /w 1 grenade launcher =68
Squad 4, 10 guardsmen /w 1 grenade launcher =68
Squad 5, 10 guardsmen /w 1 grenade launcher =68

2nd Platoon Command section
Lt /w power fist
4 guardsmen /w 2 melta guns
=66

Squad 1, 10 guardsmen /w 1 grenade launcher =68
Squad 2, 10 guardsmen /w 1 grenade launcher =68
Squad 3, 10 guardsmen /w 1 grenade launcher =68
Squad 4, 10 guardsmen /w 1 grenade launcher =68

Sentinel Squadron Alpha (2)
/w 2 multi lasers
=90

Sentinel Squadron Bravo (2)
/w 2 multi lasers
=90

Sentinel Squadron Charlie (2)
/w 2 multi lasers
=90

TOTAL = 1500

I know it goes against the mantra "anti tank support teams are a waste" but I need them as my squads will be marching towards the enemy and unable to use any heavy weapons the squads would normally have. I also didn't take any tanks as I want to go for "Walker" feel. Meaning, all my troops walk, including my sentinels. The sentinels should be able to lend support to the troops both in the shooting and assault area as my infantry can help cover my sentinels and keep them from being overwhelmed. Let me know what you think.

Tank you for reading this far!!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2003, 07:06:44 PM by Elysian Soldier »

Offline fortune

• i am important.......
Re:Infantry Assault army 1500
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 06:59:35 PM »
I dont know too much about guard, but it mught be better if you split the 6 sentinals into squads of 2. this will give them more versitility in general.
oh no! not again

Offline Elysian Soldier

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 07:05:17 PM »
Ya i'll do that. It also keep me from losing too many to massed fire as damage is distrubuted through squadrons. I put them into 2 squads in a rush to write the army list. Tanks for pointing that out.

Offline d_brierton

• QQ more plz. kkty
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 07:41:19 PM »
i'd make them 4 squads, as you can have 1 extra sentinal squad for the hq. So you have squad of 2, 2, 1, 1.

-Dan
What the hell do we write down here?

Offline Sr. Commissar Gribb

• Senior Commissar
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Whoa! What's this guy doing on here?
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 07:45:35 PM »
or you could add a hellhound and move it in behind the sentinels using them to give it hull down :)
"The Old Guard" of 40kO

The most dangerous thing on the battlefield is a junior officer with a compass and a map.

Offline Elysian Soldier

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2003, 08:16:35 PM »
But do you thing the overall army can be effective, what changes would you make besides sentinel squadron size?

Offline DarkArchite

• My future ex-wife
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 10:34:36 PM »
I am a big fan of the sentinel also, so good choice there.  Maybe drop a 1 sqd of troops and upgrade them to Lascannons.  An investment that has done great things for me.  A second question is why do you have soo many
'nade launchers??  I do realize that it is an assualt weapon w/dual roles, but it isn't that effective.  Consider the fact that you will be fighting against mostly  3+ Sv folks, so go with more bang for the buck.  I would suggest taking Melta's or Plasma for that matter.  That way it gives you the Option of killing dudes outright, and tankbusting capabilities also.  It will make your units a more multi-dimensional threat which will give your opponents more to chew on.
The 2 most abundant resources in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity!!

Offline PT Warrior

• "But why's the rum gone?"
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 11:12:09 PM »
Whats this, someone else who believes in a tank free guard army.  Kudos to you m'lad.   Not many believe it can work- but it can.  Looks to me like you have a pretty sound army- 100 infantry of the line.  Your weapons squads will provide you with alot more cover than you think they will. As stated above maybe try some variation in your spec weapons.  Possibly 1 squad with a flamer and another with a melta/plasma (though if your playing Mordians or Praetorians plasmas are hard to do).  I field an all infantry army so if you have any questions about tactics and strategy ask away.  Your army looks pretty sound.  By the by which regiment do you field?
"Correcting mistakes in a world full of hate never changes anything."

Offline Elysian Soldier

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2003, 12:53:27 AM »
I use the steel legion models for my infantry hence my large amount of grenade launchers. I believe an all infantry army can work but I want to get even more challenging. I want a mobile force that attacks the enemy and forces them onto the defensive. I want sentinels blasting apart rhinos while multi lasers and grenades blast apart their cargo. I see waves of men swarming the survivors with their wall of bayonetts. I see the Imperial Guard standing victorous over the beaten and battered corpses of all those who sta nd against us.

I.E. I want to march into the enemy guns blazing and bayonetts shinning. I want to smile myt devilish smile as i assault 10 marines with 40 guardsmen.

Know back to the actual strategy. My friend wants me to field armored comapny and I might have if not for their inability to take sentinels. Ok ya they get the power lifter guys but they can't have normal sentinels and that just plain pisses me off. I love my little sentinels and I just gotta field atleast 6 ir not more.

As for tactics what type of attack is most promising for a infantry/sentinel force? A short front with waves of men with proper consildation zones or perhaps something different. Any tips you can give me are truly welcome.