News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: BattleTech  (Read 11512 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: BattleTech
« Reply #40 on: May 9, 2018, 05:02:08 PM »
Many missions have "oh look, reinforcements" or "good place for an ambush" so here come more bad guys. Generally just fodder for your death machines though.

I think some of the missions are a bit broken, as the reinforcements are already on the map and are often showing up at the same time as the core group. Facing 7 mechs at once is not fun.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #41 on: May 9, 2018, 05:25:59 PM »
I just found out the hard way that I'd you start a story mission, you can't withdraw.  And if you lose the mission it loads a save point... qhuchbia the loading screen for the mission.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #42 on: May 9, 2018, 05:28:51 PM »
I think some of the missions are a bit broken, as the reinforcements are already on the map and are often showing up at the same time as the core group. Facing 7 mechs at once is not fun.

That's usually when you go up the middle. If you flank to one side and try not to activate both groups at once you'll often get a few turns defeating them in detail.

The story mission where you're blowing up the drop ship becomes dead simple when you avoid triggering the reinforcements till you're standing in perfect range for your mechs with their arrival point dead in your sights.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 9, 2018, 08:51:35 PM »
The story mission where you're blowing up the drop ship becomes dead simple when you avoid triggering the reinforcements till you're standing in perfect range for your mechs with their arrival point dead in your sights.
especially after you clean out the lance and turrets before they arrive.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: May 9, 2018, 09:25:25 PM »
That one's an easy button as they put the two turret generators right in easy LOS.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2018, 08:37:24 AM »
The story mission where you go to Artru was a nail biter!  I got penned on a corner and slammed with LRMs.

I had two mech get knocked down, then their CTs get taken out by called shots.

It was brutal!
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2018, 12:07:33 AM »
The story mission where you go to Artru was a nail biter!  I got penned on a corner and slammed with LRMs.

That's the one I've been avoiding. Had one quick stab at it tonight and had our chosen guest wiped out by the turrets in the second act. So tomorrows try means keeping her in the backfield while the other mechs take the punches.
Drink
Knights Tippler

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2018, 12:12:52 AM »
For me, the turrets went down faster than cheerleaders on prom night.  It was the drones that followed up afterwards that forced me to run her in circles near the doors. 

But once you get past that, the following mission you get to play with some REALLY fun toys!
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2018, 12:14:59 AM »
Ah, but of course I'd split my forces to deal with the first wave of drones like a complete tool.So the next time we'll stay together and at least share the hurt.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2018, 07:27:05 PM »
So how are impressions for those who have played it for a good while? Killersquid, have you had any luck getting the crashes to stop? I imagine at least some of the technical difficulties have been resolved through the game's patching.

I'll probably pick up Battletech the week after next ;D.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2018, 08:38:13 PM »
But once you get past that, the following mission you get to play with some REALLY fun toys!

Calling bullamphetamine parrot on the second part. Sure, great mechs and then you have a series of waves including assault mechs of their own while you *still* only have four to get through the whole thing. Tedious bullamphetamine parrot.

Edit: Heh, went all Leeroy Jenkins and killed them all. Lost one mech and one warrior from the first phase, in the LAST turn. Still, mission accomplished with acceptable losses.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:34:33 PM by The GrimSqueaker »
Drink
Knights Tippler

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2018, 10:00:55 PM »
I loved the LRM20++ that you got on the Highlander (I think).  That extra stability damage is HUGE!!!

I have to say, though, I was disappointed with the looks of the Battlemaster.  It might not be the top mech, but it definitely is my favourite.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2018, 10:56:23 PM »
With proper positioning we murdered the Battlemaster. It has so little heat capability. It's like the Madcat attempt from the dropshop mission. It was always overheating and the best thing you could do was let it keep shooting.

Edit: My mechwarrior's stats: Deployments -30 Injuries - 31. Says it all really. Been in the medbay more often than the cockpit.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 01:45:29 PM by The GrimSqueaker »
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2018, 06:23:43 PM »
So, currently running a Battlemaster, Highlander, Blacknight, and Orion as the primary lance. Really hating vehicle LRM carriers as I lost a mechwarrior to head hits due to their sheer proliferation of firepower but not like they take much of a smacking in return. Argo fully upgraded (not like you ever need the third mechbay but, you know, completion.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2018, 05:00:05 PM »
Any one else take on the optional mission Heart of darkness, where you have to take out the king crab and load of other mechs?

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2018, 02:36:12 PM »
Haven't seen that one so far. Had a random Cataphract turn up during a mission.
Drink
Knights Tippler

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2018, 03:57:45 PM »
Guess which mech I was able to fully salvage from one battle?   ;D

I have to say that I keep laughing at this game because of the comments the pilots make when they get hit and how juvenile my mind is.

I have never felt the need to say "That's what she said" for a video game more than I have with this.  All because of these voice files:

"My internals are taking a beating!"
"My internals are taking a pounding!"

Best shot I've ever had happen.

Called a head amphetamine parrotbin a heavy mech, PLC with +5 dmg destroys the head. Mech down in a single hit!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 01:53:14 PM by Battle Master Lomandalis »
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2018, 11:28:59 PM »
Ordinary mission - then a wild Atlas and Banshee turn up. Unfortunately they started with low armour and even sniping their legs meant a lot of transferred damage. Only got 2/3 of each.

GML - Took out an Orion's head with an AC20, there's an achievement for it!

Edit: Reminder - for the final story missions you do need multiple lances and mechwarriors so keep that training up.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:56:57 PM by The GrimSqueaker »
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2018, 11:24:38 PM »
After *much* faffing about as it's fun to go mech hunting about the place I bothered to finish the story line. The last mission is two in a row. They've patched it as previously if a first story mech got any internal damage it couldn't be used in the second mission. Now you're good to go (my Highlander had *1* arm internal and passed through). Last mission you've got what's her name so only get three mechs. It's a gladiatorial event so an in your face kill'em all. My last lance was a King Crab, two Highlanders, and a Stalker (King Penis with LRM+++ beslubber offs). Just waltzed through the two missions due to before said faffing around and having 10/10/10/10 mechwarriors and good tech. After the story finishes it's open play with no further travel restrictions.

Damn good game, well worth the wait, would play again.
Drink
Knights Tippler

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2018, 09:47:57 AM »
The heavy lifter of my lance so far has definitely been the highlander.  That Gauss you get is just devastating!

That being said, the story mission where you have to defend Panzyr caught me off guard.  I lost on round two because I split my fire and didn't kill one of the APCs first.  Those little beslubberers move fast!

I also found out on the second time through that mission that if you use DFA twice without leg upgrades, you will blow both legs off a Grasshopper lol
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:48:59 AM by Battle Master Lomandalis »
I knew I had fans!!!