News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: March local 2000 pt tourny, 3 bat reps  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
March local 2000 pt tourny, 3 bat reps
« on: March 6, 2011, 11:58:57 PM »
So, had out usual bi-monthly touny yesterday.  Finished with 2 wins and a tie, which put me in a three way tie for first.  There was a tie-breaker, but payout happened to be the same for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd this time around, so we didn't bother to figure out which of us actually won via the tie-breaker.

I ran the following list for all three games: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=211619.0 with a couple minor tweaks -- basically just dropped some upgrades for a min-sized unit of gretchin.

Game 1:

The Enemy: Went up against space marines.  He fielded a 3 man bike squad, 2 tac squads (1 in a rhino, the other on foot), an auto-cannon predator, a heavy bolter land speeder, an assault squad, a jump pack chaplin, a land raider with a 5 man assault termie squad, an 8 man regular termie squad, and a drop-poded ironclad.

The Board:  Played on an ash wastes board, fair amount of terrain, but only two pieces really came into play, an oil slick in the middle of the board that we both had to detour around at one point and some skeletal trees that were between his pred and my stuff most of the game, giving me cover saves.

The Rules: Dawn of War/Annihilation

Deployment: He won the role and chose to place and go first.  He setup a tac squad in a rhino (we've always counted a dt for at troop choice as one of the two things you can deploy -- don't know if thats correct officially or not, never worried about it much as long as everyone does it the same!) pretty much in the middle of the board, about 12" in and hide his chappy behind it.  I setup a battlewagon and nob squad exactly opposite the rhino and as close as possible (18" away) and tucked a warboss in behind the wagon.  Didn't steal the initiative.

Enemy 1: The rest of his stuff rolled onto the board.  Going from my left to right was his pred, the other tac squad, bikes, the assault squad, the raider, the rhino that was already on the board, his non-assault termies, and the land speeder.  The chappy popped over and joined the assault marines.  His iron clad podded in to the left of my wagon.  A bad scatter put him a fair way out from the wagon, but it turned out he was JUST at 12", allowing the melta shot... which missed.  But he had hunter-killer missiles on it as well and fired one of those, which got lucky and blew the wagon.  Assorted shooting from the rest of his army, but it accomplished nothing. Kills: 0-1

My 1: Other wagon deffrolla'ed straight onto the board and into the drop-pod!  Kaboom! (and first time I've ever managed to use a deffrolla on turn 1!).  Unfortunately, didn't quite have the range to deffrolla the dread as well, but was close enough to plank him if needed.  Other warboss came on and both headed for the dread -- good dread killers are big choppa warbosses, and they proved it here.  Didn't need those planks after all.  Dis-mounted nobs headed roughtly towards enemy lines, detouring slightly to the left to avoid the oil slick mentioned above.  Bikers turbo'd on to the right of the slick.  Baron came on lined up with his land speeder and popped a rokkit into it, stunning it. Free warboss shot the bikers and killed 1.  Gretchin decided to remain in reserve.  Kills: 2-1

Enemy 2: Assault marines made their own detour around the oil slick and just barely managed to get the range to charge my dismounted nobz and one of the warbosses.  Silly, silly assault marines -- none of them survived their mistake and they only caused two wounds.  Unfortunately, the chappy was at the back of the pack, far enough out of things that I couldn't allocate any attacks to him, so we ended up staying in combat.  He shot a bunch of stuff that mostly bounced off, other then a lucky missile from his dismounted tac squad, that ate a biker nob.  His mounted tac squad got out of its rhino, but didn't advance at all.  Bikes fell back out of assault range.  Kills: 2-1

My 2: Finished off the chappy.  Nobz consolidated around the oil slick, warboss consolidated to the right towards where I had the other warboss sitting.  Battlewagon advanced 13, but wasn't quite close enough to do anything useful yet.  Deffkopta moved forward 12" and shot at the speeder, again... and stunned it, again.  I pointed at my biker nobz and boldly predicted: "I can charge them at your terminators and take them out, but with those powerfists, I'll take some damage, enough that bringing the raider around and charging them with the assault terminators next tern will finish my bikers off, more the pity."  I then charged his terminators (and 1 big choppa guy on his rhino, since it hadn't moved -- he was enough to pop it), and took them out, though I took some damage (4 nobz down, to be exact)... Kills: 4-1

Enemy 3: ...and he brought his raider around, charged them with his assault terminators and finished them off.  Though I took 4 of the 5 assault termies with me.  Then he shot a bunch, as as usually accomplished nothing (I think a lascannon from the raider may have managed to pick of one of the dismounted nobz and they took a wound, but nothing important.)  Bikes continued to fall back to stay out of assault range.  Kills: 4-2

My 3: Warboss joins the other warboss in an offical squad and assaults the remaining assault termie.  He survives, but wiffs his own attacks.  Deffkopta advances 12" and shoots the land speeder for a third time.  It stuns it, for a third time.  Then it charges and rips it into tiny pieces with its buzz-saw.  Dismounted nobz continue their steady slog forward.  Battlewagon advanced 13" -- not quite in deffrolla range of anything... but the nobz pile out and ARE in assault range of both the remaining bikes and the foot slogging tac squad.  They are nobz, they are charging:  Everything dies, of course.  1 wound in return.  Kills: 7-2

Enemy 4:  He tries to shoot.  It still does nothing.  His pred runs away from my nobz in fear of assault next turn.  The warbosses finish the poor termie.  Kills: 8-2

My 4:  Battlewagon deffrolla's the pred.  Dead pred.  That nob squad charges his other tac squad and the long dismounted nob squad charges his raider (he had forgotten I hadn't WAAAGH!'ed yet and foolishly though both were out of range.  Hadn't even moved the raider -- mhhh, auto-hits).  Warbosses also pile in on the raider.  3 marines survive in the tac squad.  The raider losses every weapon and is immobilized.  Kills: 9-2

Enemy 5: 5 minutes to dice down has been anounced, but the total kp scored this game is what is supposed to be used for a tie-breaker at the end of the tourny and we figure the last round will be pretty darn quick.  So he was kind enough to let me play it all the way out and finish racking up the kill points.  We are right -- it takes about a minute.  His surviving marines die.  His landraider blows up.  Kills: 11-2

Enemy tabled -- no turn 5 for me.  The Gretchin never arrived from reserve.  ;)

Offline Azonalanthious

Re: March local 2000 pt tourny, 3 bat reps
« Reply #1 on: March 6, 2011, 11:59:20 PM »
Game 2:

The Enemy: Ahh, the mysterious Eldar.  Enemy ran a serpent with banshees and Eldrad, a falcon with fire dragons, a unit of spiders, a unit of pathfinders, a unit of guardians, a unit of avengers, a unit of shinning spears with an autarch, and a fire prism

The Board:  Played on the first woodland's board.  Assorted terrain, but none of it really ended up impacting the game at all other then a small patch of woods he hide his pathfinders in.  :/  We each put out objective in a fairly central spot on our respective sides of the board.

The Rules: Pitched Battle/Capture and Control

Deployment: I took the roll, and chose to go first.  But one battlewagon on the left flank, the other on the right flank, warbosses with bikes and the deffkopta between the two.  Gretchin stayed in reserve.  He put his spiders on the left,  then his guardians on his objective, with the avengers there to support them, then his serpent, then the prism, then the falcon, then his spears.  Pathfinders infiltrated to a spot of woods just a bit right of the center of the board.  I scout moved the kopta forward, angling for a good go on the prism turn 1.  And then he stole the initiative.  :/

Enemy 1: Gee, look at that lovely deffkopta all exposed out there way in front of everything... it died of course.  His spiders, transports, prism, and spears all advanced.  So minor firing on my bikers, picked up a wound from the pathfinders, but not much game of it.  Objectives held: 1-1

My 1: I move my bikers forward and shoot the pathfinders.  This is a mistake -- I completely forgot about their whole double stealth thing.  Powering through a 4+ cover with volume of fire: sure.  2+?  Bah, I would have been far better off turbo'ing for a cover save of my own, since they weren't close enough for me to assault.  Left battlewagon advances, nobz pile out and are just (by a hair's breath) close enough to hit the spider unit.  Spiders all die.  Again, I screwed up -- this time rules-wise not tactics-wise -- I had 2 power klaws that weren't close enough to actually attack and I rolled them anyways.  :/  I realized what I had done half-way through the next turn and offered to let him put the spidiers back on the board, but he graciously said it was fine and we just went on with the game -- in fairness, it probably wouldn't have made a difference since they were down to 2 models by the time I was rolling pks anyways, but I still felt really bad about it.  Right battlewagon just advanced, wasn't close enough to do anything. Objectives Held: 0-1

Enemy 2: Prism heads over to take over for the lost spiders, manages to pick off a pair of nobz in that unit (darn all insta-kill blast templates, large or small!).  Spears charge the bikes.  Bikers win, of course, but the spears manage to drop a wound on pretty much everyone.  Autarch wasn't close enough to allocate attacks to him, so stuck in combat for 1 more turn.  Falcon moves up and plants itself on the right flank of the bikes, serpent on the left.  Everybody disembarks.  Some assorted shooting wounds a few nobs in the left (spider) nob unit.  Objectives held: 0-1

My 2: Bikers finish off the autarch, though he kills off a wounded bike in the process.  Not going to be able to get far enough away to avoid the coming banshee charge, so I don't bother to try, just use the consolidate more to spread out a bit in case he decides to toss a fire prism blast on the bikers before charging them.  Right battlewagon attempts to roller falcon, but falcon makes it skimmer dodge.  Left wagon does the same on the serpent which also dodges.  Right wagon nobz pile out and finish of the falcon but can't reach anything else important.  Left nobz advance towards guardians/reapers/objectives, but can't reach it this turn.  Objectives: 0-1

Enemy 3: Banshee's charge and kill bikers, though I do manage to take 2 banshee's with them at least.  To be expected after the damage they took from the spears unfortunately.  Fire dragons pop a nob in the right squad, torrent of fire at left squad wittles them down to 6 nobz, most wounded, but they are still in the fight.  Objectives: 0-1

My 3: Left nob squad double assaults guardians and avengers.  Many eldar are turned into squishy jelly.  The remainder (wisely) break and run, both squads running off the board.  I consolidate onto his objective.  Right nob squad takes out the dragons.  Battlewagons both try to ram the serpent.  It dodges 1 of them, the other connects.  4 penetrating hits.... 1, 1, 1, and 1.  :/  Gretchin arrive, and run forward, claiming my objective.  Objectives: 2-0

Enemy 4:  Banshee's shift north, charge the nob squad on his objective.  They hit like a ton of bricks, squad is cut down to 3 nobz, who fail their first moral.  Boss pole reroll keeps them in the fight, though the reroll wound kills a nob, dropping them to 2.  Prism and pathfinders pop shots into right nob group to no good effect.  Serpent tank shocks grots, but they make their test. Objectives: 1-0, 1 contested

My 4: Battlewagons double deffrolla the serpent again, 1 connects, and wrecks it this time around.  Right nobs charge and kill pathfinders.  Banshee's wiff an insane number of hit rolls, and a few lucky invulnerable saves and to both my and my foe's shock, both nobz live long enough to attack... and kill 5 banshees, which wins the combat, banshee's break, and run.  NEVER would have called that.  Objectives: 2-0

Time called, game over.  Victory: Orks.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2011, 02:32:35 AM by Azonalanthious »

Offline Azonalanthious

« Reply #2 on: March 6, 2011, 11:59:39 PM »
Final game, the only two undefeated players in the tourny (though there are a couple folks with win-tie records).  Ork vs Ork in the ultimate green showdown!!

Game 3:

The Enemy: Orks.  WAAAGH!.  PURE green tide list -- 3 units of 30 shoota boyz, 3 units of 30 slugga boyz, 2 units of 14 lootas, Ghazkul.

The Board:  Other woodlands board.  Exact positioning was actually pretty important in this game, and I have no pictures.  So you all get to bask in awe of my super crapy quick and dirty MS Paint battlemaps!  Woot!  Covered in more detail below.

The Rules: Spearhead/Seize Ground (5 objectives, 1 in the center of the table)

Deployment: I took the roll, and chose to go first.  But one battlewagon on the left flank, the other on the right flank, warbosses with bikes and the deffkopta off to the side.  Gretchin on the corner objective.  Kopta scout moves up to top right objective -- 1 rokkit a turn isn't gonna manage anything in this battle, I plan on hiding him in the hopes he is forgotten and so can pop out and contest something last minute.  He basicly just covered every square inch of his deployment area in boyz.  Welcome to the first crummy map, Deployment:

Guide: Green areas were woods.  Blue is a river.  Tanish/yellowish is a bluff-type thing -- dangerous to get on or off it, but no cover or rolls moving around once you are up and high enough to block line of sight for infantry.  Enemy boy squads number 1-6.  L for lootas, W for battlewagons, B for nob bikers, N for nobz, K for kopta, G for both Ghazkul and gretchin (didn't catch that I had used it twice til the very end), O for the objectives.  My warbosses were with the bikers the whole time, so don't have a separate symbol.

My 1: If he can bring the full weight of his army against me, its gonna crush me.  I gotta dance and strike carefully -- and I mostly do, which is why we tie (my foe is a good friend and a good guy, but he claims I tied because of luck on feel no pain saves.  I like him, but I disagree, it was all about knowing EXACTLY where I wanted my units relative to his at all times.  If I hadn't screwed up with my biker position the one time you see below, I'm pretty sure it would have been a win for me, not a tie.).  Right battlewagon moves up, nobz get out and hit just the edge of boyz 1 -- this keeps me far enough away that 2/3 shouldn't able to counter assault, and even if they had the range, most of 1 (if they survive) will be piled up between, keeping them from getting into base to base with me anyways.  1 cut down to 3 orks, who break and run off board.  Bikers can't hit 2 without getting counter-charged by at least 3 and most likely 5 as well, so don't risk it yet, instead closing to the edge of dakka gun range and firing to thin 2 out a bit.  Left wagon can't reach anyone vital, so just heads for lower left objective.

Enemy 1: 2 heads up onto the bluff.  3 shifts over to take over for the lost 1.  4 and 5 shift down.  Ghaz shifts right.  60 shoota boyz and 28 lootas (and Ghaz) pour fire into my right nob unit -- on the the rare times I've actually faced enough small arms fire to matter to nobz.  The unit (which had a 5 wounds or so already from the boy fight) is whittled down to 2 models -- a pk and a big choppa.

My 2: Bikers still can't safely charge 2 without risking 4 coming in, so I move up and dakka them.  Unfortunately (as you'll see in the next enemy turn) I cut it just a hair to fine trying to line up a good combi-skorcha shot, which proves what I needed to be cautious.  :/  Right nob squad charges Ghaz, cuz what else are two wounded nobs gonna do at this point?  They both die.  Left nobz charge 5, kill them all (well, kill 18 of them, then fearless wounds kill them all), then fall back towards the objective.  Wagons stay out of the fight/pull back because I think the mobility/contesting they could provide down the road might prove more important then a handful of deffrolla kills now.

Enemy 2: I cut it too fine.  He WAAAGH!s (Ghaz's auto-6 one) and gets both 2 (still at about 60% str) and 4 in with my bikers.  The fight is vicious and he is cut down to just his 2 nobz and 5 boyz between the two squads (after fearless saves, mind, didn't kill quite that many directly), but I'm reduced to just my two warbosses.  3 moves down to take the center objective, Ghaz continues to mender somewhat aimlessly to the right.  Lootas fire at gretchin, who promptly go to ground.  2 are killed.

My 3: Left nob squad Left nob squad gets solidly on the objective, with models on a 3" perimeter to keep it from being contested.  Warbosses survive, but only take out 4 more boyz (both nobz live).  Right wagon moves in to contest center objective, since we know we are starting to get low on time.  Left wagon moves up in the hopes of maybe getting a chance to rolla some lootas if things last long enough.

Enemy 3: Boyz 3 charge into the fight with the warboss, then consolidate out in both directions after taking them, letting them hold the center objective while also closing on the the lower left.  Both nobz from 2 and 4 survive (they were darn persistent), but no boyz, and they both only consolidate 1.  Ghaz charges and manage to kill the battlewagon.  Lootas fire at gretchin... I wasn't paying attention and frankly think my friend screwed up and just rolled to wound rather then rolling to hit (an honest mistake from him I'm sure, not intensional cheating, if that's what happened -- it had been a long day at that point), but I wasn't watching, so don't know for sure.  But somehow, I ended up with 25 wounds from 14 lootas firing 2 shots each, which would be insanely accurate shooting for orks if he did roll to hit.  Most of the unit dies, including the run herd, but 3 live.  And make their moral check with exactly what they needed - 5.  Whoo...

We are discussing if we want to try and get another turn in when the organizer calls dice down.  Game over -- the Orks have tied.  2 objectives to 2.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2011, 03:59:37 AM by Azonalanthious »

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: March 7, 2011, 08:23:17 AM »
A most excellent showing for the orks. Good work! Too bad they made you fight a civil war, otherwise you could have swept the show with 3-0 record.

Good report, I know how hard it is to take notes at a tourney, so good job on that, and for the "graphics"... Great job, far better than I can do.

Congrats on the tie for first, maybe next tourney the other ork player won't show up//// ::)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Azonalanthious

« Reply #4 on: March 7, 2011, 11:42:38 AM »
A most excellent showing for the orks. Good work! Too bad they made you fight a civil war, otherwise you could have swept the show with 3-0 record.

Good report, I know how hard it is to take notes at a tourney, so good job on that, and for the "graphics"... Great job, far better than I can do.

Congrats on the tie for first, maybe next tourney the other ork player won't show up//// ::)

Eh, he owns 95% of the terrain we use -- he 'rents' it to the store as his admission fee to the tournament -- and he made 100% of it, since the terrain the store officially owns was also his, sold to the store for store credit, so him not coming would actually be a bad thing.  :D  I actually haven't had to go head to head with him for four or five months now, so I've been lucky until this point.

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #5 on: March 7, 2011, 10:01:11 PM »
A great battle report...  I enjoyed reading it...

I'm surprised the green tide did as well as they did against you...  One time, when running two squads of 30 boyz, I charged a unit of 10 nobz and was cut to peices, both squads...  I didn't think the regular boyz had it in them for killing nobz! lol

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline Azonalanthious

« Reply #6 on: March 8, 2011, 01:25:48 AM »
A great battle report...  I enjoyed reading it...

I'm surprised the green tide did as well as they did against you...  One time, when running two squads of 30 boyz, I charged a unit of 10 nobz and was cut to peices, both squads...  I didn't think the regular boyz had it in them for killing nobz! lol

Adam

Regular boyz don't, not really.  But regular boyz keep the power klaw nob at the heart of the boy mob alive, and on the charge, he instant kills up to 4 nobz with a little luck rolling.  Two squads = two nobz = potentially 8 dead nobz with a max squad size of 10.  Now when the nobz charge the boyz its a different story - its entirely possible to kill of the entire squad without the pk nob at its heart getting to attack, and even if he does its only 1 nob with 3 pk attacks, not 2 with 4.  Helps a lot.