News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Real-scale Bolter  (Read 9258 times)

Offline Ansteadt

Re: Real-scale Bolter
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 01:01:42 PM »
looking at SM artwork and minis, I'd guess that the standard boltgun looks to be about  2.5' - 3' in length.  Wikipedia list them as being .75 caliber (3/4" diameter slug).  Its also listed as being a rocket propelled slug.  For dimensions, I'd say just make some scale approximations from art work or minis.  I doubt you'll find any 'plans' for a boltgun on the net. 
Although it would be nice to credit the General with fearing for his own troop's safety, it would probably be the case the he was not given the opportunity to lay waste to his own men in a wonderful show of power to the enemy.

Offline Vespasian Swiper

• Dear Live Journal...
  • Damn Dora...
    • Club DM
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 01:14:01 PM »
He wont be life size... he may be man size.. .but remember how large the armour is with the carapace...
Its an even stranger day when you have a fat Games Workshop-Fanboy Ninja declare to end you for something you did for April Fools on Teh Interwebz.

It's a strange day in the world where I find myself agreeing more often than not with Swiper.  :D

Offline Two Blades as One, Samurai Ichirou

• Old men start wars; Young boys die in them.
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 06:07:08 PM »
Lol, but walking down the street with a 22 or a magnum pistol or what have you is normal? I think I'm glad I don't live on your street! lol ;)

Ha, ya right, my typical suburb neigbourhood with people wlking around with magnums. That would be the day. ;D ;D ;D

I get what you're saying though. Its just that on a possiblity scale, the handgun is lightyears ahead in probability to see (though it really wont ever happen here) than any .50 cal weapon.
Still I lay cold, my soul seeks light / my eyes are tired; my heart's last fight
Around my shell of wood and cloth / trickle sound of wound and loss.
Broken voices of tears and cry's / sorrow and love for a Nation's son's life.
Mother and Father alone in thought. / Of the bravery and pain in the battle we fought.
We move slowly we three welcomed home. / A parade of silence, hands and flags wave
Above our bodies, they gather as on, / Along this highway of heroes for two seconds of light.

Offline Snike

• ...I personally prefer the term "beyond faith".
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 09:25:20 AM »
looking at SM artwork and minis, I'd guess that the standard boltgun looks to be about  2.5' - 3' in length.  Wikipedia list them as being .75 caliber (3/4" diameter slug).  Its also listed as being a rocket propelled slug.
Now guys, this is the sort of information I need. More of this, please. Thanks, Grenadier
I'LL BE BACK SOON!

CSM - Nurgle - The Dead Company of Morgion - 4900+ points and growing
Nids - Hive Fleet Thanatos - 2100 points and growing (reaaally slowly)
Coming maybe someday: Orks - Da Black Jawz

Check this out! :D

Offline IainC

• Mad prophet of the Whalepocalypse
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Not Safe For Work
    • Antipwn
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2007, 10:00:26 AM »
Here's a picture of a full sized SM with bolter next to a real person for scale.

I think the man is Nick Davis (ex White Dwarf) who is about 6'2" or so and quite broad. I also remember that there used to be a company who made life-sized museum quality artifacts for GW - I can't remember their name but Mark Bedford used to work for them before he joined GW - and one of the things they made was a bolter in a display case (much more detailed than the one in the photo). It was around 3' long from stock to barrel IIRC and was displayed for ages in Warhammer World. I think it's been shelved now though.
World's first ever Dark Eldar player... Don't be hatin' now.

My wargaming and painting blog

My games industry blog

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 01:45:17 PM »
looking at SM artwork and minis, I'd guess that the standard boltgun looks to be about  2.5' - 3' in length.  Wikipedia list them as being .75 caliber (3/4" diameter slug).  Its also listed as being a rocket propelled slug.
Now guys, this is the sort of information I need. More of this, please. Thanks, Grenadier

WEll, the magazine holds 30 of those .75 caliber rounds, so the magazine, the magazine slot and the barrel will have to be large.
Still I lay cold, my soul seeks light / my eyes are tired; my heart's last fight
Mother and Father alone in thought. / Of the bravery and pain in the battle we fought.
We move slowly we three welcomed home. / A parade of silence, hands and flags wave
Above our bodies, they gather as on, / Along this highway of heroes for two seconds of light.

Offline Broono

• Milk is good for your wraithbones.
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 01:51:40 PM »
Here's a picture of a full sized SM with bolter next to a real person for scale.
(Image removed from quote.)

Yeeech! Is this real person a Possessed? What an ugly face!   ;)
Broono

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn." -Unknown

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 02:13:26 PM »
have you thought about making a "rough blank" out of cardboard? what I mean is make a very crude first draft of the model, the one to use when manipulating scale.

I make papermodels, a lot of which use reverse-engineered computer models (i.e. make a guy from world of warcraft and make him 2d, print on paper) you might be able to make a suitable model this way.

while your at it, make a chainsword papermodel and relaease it free for everyone to make!
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline Ansteadt

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 04:18:04 PM »
Quote from: Snike on Today at 09:25:20 AM

WEll, the magazine holds 30 of those .75 caliber rounds, so the magazine, the magazine slot and the barrel will have to be large.

A quick dimension for the mag off of those numbers should be about 12-13" tall, 1.5-2" deep, and maybe(?) 4-6" wide.  Im not too sure about the width because Im not sure of the slug+casing dimensions.  The height compensates for the necessity of a magazine follower and the depth compensates for a thick wall on the magazine.  Now the barrel is purely speculative:

I see no reason for the appearant 1/2-3/4" walling on the barrel.  You shouldn't need that thick of walling for a rocket propelled slug.  I would suspect that a function similar to an M203 Grenade Launcher would be used, resulting in less weight and bulk.  Its also possible that what we see as the "exposed" might actually be a compensator attached to the muzzle similar to the M82A1 Anti-Material Rifle.  It looks big on the front, but thats it.  There is also then artistic license, which is the more likely culprit.
Although it would be nice to credit the General with fearing for his own troop's safety, it would probably be the case the he was not given the opportunity to lay waste to his own men in a wonderful show of power to the enemy.

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 07:10:19 PM »
thicker gun barrels allow it to disipate heat faster and more efficiently, an m203 gernade launcher does not have that thick of a barrel because it is not intended to be used very often. the vehicle-mounted, three-round-burst ones have much thicker barrels.

besides, if the barrel isn't thick enough it will look hookey.
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline Ansteadt

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2007, 10:14:24 PM »
thicker gun barrels allow it to disipate heat faster and more efficiently, an m203 gernade launcher does not have that thick of a barrel because it is not intended to be used very often. the vehicle-mounted, three-round-burst ones have much thicker barrels.

besides, if the barrel isn't thick enough it will look hookey.

Thicker doesnt dissipate heat, surface area does.  This is why fluted barrels or a cooling system is used on hot burning weapons.  The reason for the thinner barrel on the M203 is because of the special 2 stage shell that it fires.  The initial high pressure pop is cased withing the thick shell casing.  It quickly vents into a much larger diameter chamber, dropping the PSI due to a large increase in volume of the new cavity.  Now the MK19Mod3's are a different story.  Whilst they are still 40mm Grenade Launchers, the actual grenades arn't the same as the M203 ones.  The Mk19 uses a much higher pressure charge in a longer barrel.  The need for the barrel thickness is due to the dramatic increase in pressure.  The M203 couldnt handle a Mk19 shell safely.

Your last point I will agree with most definitely. :D

Offline Samurai

• Most Honorable Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 07:18:16 PM »
a 12guage shotgun shell is roughly .75 Cal, so your barrel can be the size of a normal shotgun, and there are drum fed shotguns that hold about 30 shots...

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2007, 08:45:12 PM »
yes, and there are belt fed auto-shotguns, but lets not get into that... ;)

Offline Snike

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2007, 07:08:41 AM »
I see no reason for the appearant 1/2-3/4" walling on the barrel.  You shouldn't need that thick of walling for a rocket propelled slug. Blah blah blah and so on...
I doesn't matter. I like it big.  ;D Looks cool.

The Space Marine is awesome. I laughed a lot at the dude that has undergone a facewarp.  ;D
I'LL BE BACK SOON!

Offline Apocalyp$e

• Fight the Future
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2007, 06:23:06 PM »
Hey, check this out:
http://www.exlibrismortis.org/
Clisk on the "What's New" section, then the picture of the ship under the "Special Project Revealed" posting... scroll down & there you will see a pretty damn good specimen.

Offline qwertypp7

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2007, 06:33:54 PM »
Got no idea. And my local (read: the only one in Finland  ::)  :P :-\) GW doesn't have one. (Though they have a 40K-scale Battle Barge in the roof...  ;D)

Dude you have to take a pic of that! If you post pics of that battlebarge I will help but until then...
Nah I joke... I have no idea about a template but I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guys uncle (or something like that) who tried to build something similar and posted a template on the internet... No idea where it is mind you but they are out there. :P

Offline Snike

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2007, 08:05:06 AM »
Thanks, Apocalyp$e! That's a cool bolter!

Dude you have to take a pic of that!
It's just primed black ATM but I try to remember to take a pic of the Barge the next time I visit.

I have no idea about a template but I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guys uncle (or something like that) who tried to build something similar and posted a template on the internet...
Why thank you, I'm sure that will solve all my bolter needs...  :P :P
I'LL BE BACK SOON!

Offline themandalorian

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2007, 02:56:56 PM »
I don't get why GW doesn't make some real sized ones for sale :( Anyways didn't black library used to sell full sized bolter rounds
Enter our contest to win 40k mini's!!!

http://www.40kterra.com/forums/showthread.php?p=52948

Offline Snike

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 10:13:16 AM »
I don't get why GW doesn't make some real sized ones for sale
Got no idea.

Anyways didn't black library used to sell full sized bolter rounds
They still do, they're just not anything I need.
I'LL BE BACK SOON!

Offline cheeze

« Reply #39 on: December 2, 2007, 03:55:15 PM »
i not shure sorry but if you do manige it please post some pictures or something
thanks ;)