News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Paladins?  (Read 2946 times)

Offline DCKeith

Paladins?
« on: August 14, 2012, 01:21:06 AM »
Hey.

I was just modeling up some more pallies and was wondering are Apothecaries worth it now with the changes to FNP?

And on a similar note with the changes to power weapons which melee force weapons would you use?

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
Re: Paladins?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 02:58:53 AM »
 Ha now that's an odd place for this to be! Imho I think the apothecary is still best for full ten man units. The new fnp does help vs all the nasty crap that will get fired at them if they are ten strong.

It's only  on the daemon hammer that the ap is different. The rest follow the rules for unusual force weapons(ap3).
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 06:05:16 AM »
[mod]I've removed all the comments saying 'wrong board' with no other content to tidy this thread up. Please use the report to the moderator button instead of making posts like that in the future, that's what it's there for. Off to the Inquisition board with this.[/mod]
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Embolden

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 03:11:35 AM »
I've tried paladins without the apoth and they're quite vulnerable to the meta shift towards plasma, so I now always take one if possible.

I take a mix of halberds and hammers, usually 6 halberds, 3 hammers and a banner. What are you considering?

Offline DCKeith

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 10:17:53 AM »
Well, Mine at the moment are 3 hal's, 1sword and 1 hammer. That is the way I had them set up from 5th and was just wondering if it was beneficial to change them. I've yet to try paladins in 6th but them seem like they will be even better than in the previous edition.

Offline Grand Master Rex Nihilo

• Victory is one part planning and nine parts Faith
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 11:12:34 AM »
The sword is good for the extra point of invul save but other than that not much use as the Halberd is quicker and they are both AP3.
So you'll be putting the AP2 attacks on your sword as he will be your 'expendable' Termie  if there is such a thing!

7000 points of Grey Knights
6000 points of Fire Drakes Space Marines

Offline Embolden

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 12:15:20 PM »
If you want to allocate the ap2 stuff to anyone other than draigo you're best taking a stave. However it it's expenisive for something that a lot of people will try to avoide combat against.

Offline Grand Master Rex Nihilo

• Victory is one part planning and nine parts Faith
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 02:08:19 PM »
If you want to allocate the ap2 stuff to anyone other than draigo you're best taking a stave. However it it's expenisive for something that a lot of people will try to avoide combat against.

Draigo may not be in this unit and the Stave is mighty expensive! The sword is the cheap alternative.

7000 points of Grey Knights
6000 points of Fire Drakes Space Marines

Offline Embolden

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 03:03:45 PM »
I always put draigo in the 10 man paladin squad, he goes out front with the paladins jumping in on 2+ LoS roll. Makes the squad incredibly durable. The stave is a nice bonus, but for the same as psycannon, it's a luxury not a nessesaty.

Offline ~Iron Captain Softy~

• The Flesh is Weak!
  • Armies: Ghost Knights
« Reply #9 on: September 4, 2012, 04:14:27 PM »
I'm going 100% hammers on my pallies. New power weapon rules = my pallies surviving to I1 much more frequently, and I likewise bounce off 2+ save characters too often. I'll hit last, but by golly, I'll kill what I hit. Unless, of course, the unit has stormshields.

Apothecaries come into their own when a lot of models are benefitting (I.e. draigowing). Otherwise, save the points for elsewhere.
They've got us surrounded? That simplifies the problem.
-General Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #10 on: September 4, 2012, 08:41:40 PM »
I think it is necessary as Paladins..... as I have learned from these guys need Draigo to work. He should be in the squad and the bandaids should be applied. I think the problem is you really need to spend a 1k of points on the whole deal to make it solid.

Without paladins normal terminators may not be as cool but they have their uses. If you don't want to be shoehorned into a certain point level or HQ choice.

Personally I'm liking the idea of 10 termies w/ Thawn, a banner, and Psybolt ammo plus a Librarian.

Offline Embolden

« Reply #11 on: September 5, 2012, 02:12:03 AM »
I'm going 100% hammers on my pallies. New power weapon rules = my pallies surviving to I1 much more frequently, and I likewise bounce off 2+ save characters too often. I'll hit last, but by golly, I'll kill what I hit. Unless, of course, the unit has stormshields.

Apothecaries come into their own when a lot of models are benefitting (I.e. draigowing). Otherwise, save the points for elsewhere.

Interesting, all hammers, Paladins are pretty durable, so could take the I2+ hits then move in with the Hammers, most Ap2 combat attacks are made at I1 anyway, so you're unlikely to lose many models/wounds before you strike.

I ran 3 hammers at a tournament this last weekend and was impressed, with the changes in how combat works, it's much for fluid, so striking at different I steps can be advantageous.