News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: [SM][2000][Tourney-balanced]  (Read 620 times)

Offline Locky1138

[SM][2000][Tourney-balanced]
« on: February 4, 2008, 07:02:01 PM »
I learned some valuable lessons in the 1000pt tourney. for example tac/assault squads MUST have a power-fist. 4 las cannons are good, all 4 in one squad is BAD! i need practice positioning/moving troops (play more games). i hope this list addresses those short-comings as well as some of the holes in my army.  I hope i can develop this army to be a complete 2000pt force, one that is well-rounded and capable of taking all-comers.  as such, i am most concerned with identifying holes, and weaknesses in the current list, and how to address them. 

so, do your worst, i want to know how bug-zilla, hordes, cheese-assault cannon, et. all, will take this force apart. what weakens is there to exploit? what would a tailored list (specificly to beat my force) could look like, and how would it operate?

with a good scathing critique like that, i can either shore up the holes by altering the list, or at least be aware of the possibilites as a commander, and alter my strategy to suit.  I hope that isn't to tall order, and i appreciate any feedback, critique, or comments no matter how minor.

LIST:

HQ2 - 355
Chaplain
+P-fist
9xMarines
+T-honors
+P-fist

Troop1 - 220
6xMarines
+P-fist sarg
+melta
Razorback
+TL-Las

Troop2 - 220
6xMarines
+P-fist sarg
+melta
Razorback
+TL-Las

Elite1 - 105
Dread (Asscan)

Elite2 - 105
Dread (Asscan)

Elite3 - 240
5xTermies
+2xAssCan

Fast1 - 70
LS-Tornado (Asscan)

Fast1 - 70
LS-Tornado (Asscan)

Fast3 - 162
6xMarines
+P-fist.Sarge

Heavy1 - 265
Land Raider Crusader
-transport for HQ2

Heavy2 - 160
6xMarines
+2xLasCan

28 extra points for extra-armor/smoke on vehicles (still working on it).

as always, thank you in advance for the help,
Locky

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
Re: [SM][2000][Tourney-balanced]
« Reply #1 on: February 5, 2008, 04:28:32 AM »
It's not really a tourney army.
Generally, an LRC is only useful if it transports Assault Termies.
Moreover, an LRC asks for getting smoked early in the game; then you're screwed as you sticked more than 600 pts into this basket.
The army needs more focus.
Build it around a solid core, like 6 Razorback squads.
Tell us what models you have...

Offline Locky1138

« Reply #2 on: February 5, 2008, 09:18:18 AM »
so far i have

the 2 tac squads and razorbacks
chaplyn
10+bp/cc marines (vets)
fist-fulls of jump packs
a pile of termies with 4 asscans (unpainted/assembled)
40-odd marines
5 un-assembled marines
4 Las-cannon marines (+various other heavy weapons)
5 sniper scouts
10? cc scouts
2 dreads
basic landraider
1 vincicator un-assembled
2 dreds
landspeeder (no asscan)
trike-multi-melta and some old-beat up bikes
chapplyn, 3/4 captains, marneus, tigurius, emporors champ, and a box full of other special chars.
tons of bits and pieces i cant remember.

honestly to be 100% competative, i figured up a list with nothing but tornados and dreds, and assault cannons on near every modle... thats not fun imo.  i want the LRC firstly, because i think its cool, if it doesnt work well tourney wize then thats fine.  the chappy+vets squad is likewize, fluffy, and a lot of fun, i will run the numbers on them vs a termie assault squad and see how it comes out.  in this list i also did not realy want to sacrefice an asscan unit for assault-termies, they are OP and easily abused... but hay, they are also realy good.

i'm actualy not planning on mounting the chappy's squad in the LRC most of the time, only on occasions like Recon, where i need to move them fast.  instead i was going to field it as a good all-arround unit, and fire-magnet.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #3 on: February 5, 2008, 10:16:08 AM »
Well, I opt for a mechanized list with 2 Razorback squads, 2 Termie squads, 1 Vindicator, 1 LRC, 1 Dread.
An Epistolary w/ terminator armour, storm shield, fota, vot leading a Termie Cmd squad would allow you to take another Dread.

Offline Max Power

« Reply #4 on: February 7, 2008, 10:49:03 AM »
I'm a fan of mechanized army lists, but I'm always worried that in a big game there's going to be a ridiculous about of anti-tank. Do you know what kind of mission you're going to be playing?
Kids, there's three ways to do things.  The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
Isn't that the wrong way?
Yes, but faster!

Offline Locky1138

« Reply #5 on: February 7, 2008, 12:57:17 PM »
no idea on the missions, and the guy running our tourneys seems to pick them at-random, and give us a wide-variety.  last time we got 1. (the one where you fight for the 4 table quarters) 2. recon (get to enemy deployment zone) 3. clense (bonus points for units killed/remaining)

one of my main concerns is that a few people like to bring cheese/spam armies (the one that wiped me out consisted of 3 dreds, 3 tornados, and 2 whirlwinds in 1000pt).  i want to build something powerfull enough (even if its border-line cheese) to deal with these, but still flexible (no one-trick-pony).  also, i'd like enough flavor to keep it fun to play (one reason i gravitate to the chappy+vets squad... i just plain have fun with em), but i think a strong flexable army will maintain that.

Offline EpeeBill

« Reply #6 on: February 7, 2008, 03:52:45 PM »
Well, with your trike and assorted bikes, you could make a Fast Attack unit with meltas and multimeltas to run down enemy armor. If you have two meltas and a multi in a unit that's fast enough to hit side or rear armor, you can make short work of a high-vechile-count list.

If the opponent doesn't have a bunch of tanks or dreds, they can hunt HQ's or use their TL bolters to soften up units you plan to assault. I wouldn't use them as a first line assualt unit, but as a support unit to the assualt squad or HQ squad, they'd do very nicely. So, they're pretty flexible. And fun. I mean, really, try going a whole game moving that unit around without making motorcycle engine noises even once.

Offline Locky1138

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 05:46:08 PM »
I've gone back through and re-worked the list, takeing into account what i can and cannot prepare by next weekend, as always your thoughts and input are much appreciated!

LIST:

HQ2 - 355
Chaplain
+P-fist
9xMarines
+T-honors
+P-fist

Troop1 - 220
6xMarines
+P-fist sarg
+melta
Razorback
+TL-Las
+armor

Troop2 - 220
6xMarines
+P-fist sarg
+melta
Razorback
+TL-Las
+armor

Elite1 - 105
Dread (Asscan)
+armor

Elite2 - 105
Dread (Asscan)
+armor

Elite3 - 240
5xTermies
+2xAssCan

Heavy1 - 265
Land Raider Crusader
-transport for HQ2

Heavy2 - 160
8xMarines
+2xLasCan

Heavy3 - 160
8xMarines
+2xLasCan

this leaves 120 points that i'm tossing about, i could add some more heavy weaponry to the dev-squads (if i have time to build them), or my 5 sniper-scouts for 90pts.  i cant quite squeeze another tac squad in, or make the points for a commander+termies.  i liked the command termie squad and 3rd dred, but i wont be able to build the dred in time.  also looked at the bikes i have.. repairing them would take longer than building new ones i'm afraid, they wont be ready.

Thanks again!
Locky
i still have to build 2 melta marines, 1 p-fist sarge, 1 ass-can termie, and finish the LRC