News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 pt Tau, what do you think?  (Read 476 times)

Offline Enigma77

• I know, therefore I am
1500 pt Tau, what do you think?
« on: May 28, 2005, 05:46:34 AM »
Tau 1500 pts   
Etherial:    50
Fire Warriors: 12 Fire Warriors: Shas'ui, bonded.   140
Fire Warriors: 12 Fire Warriors: Shas'ui, bonded.   140
Fire Warriors: 10 Fire Warriors: Shas'ui, bonded.  Devilfish: decoy launchers.   205
Fire Warriors: 10 Fire Warriors: Shas'ui, bonded.  Devilfish: decoy launchers.   205
Hammerhead: Railgun, smart missles, multi-tracker.    165
XV-88 Broadside: 3 Broadside Suits: twin-linked railguns, smart missles, target lock.    225
Stealth Team: 6 Stealth Suites: bonded.     190
Pathfinders: 6 Path Finders.  Devilfish: decoy launchers, 2 seeker missles.   177

Total: 1497 pts.

The basic strategy is to set up the 2 large fire warrior squads, and the broadside team targeting an objective or major firing lane.  They are the bait units, and provid emy army with heavy firepower.  The other two firewarrior teams are set up along one flank ready to shoot, and with the devilfish nearby. They help support the center and pack up in their devilfish to deal with closing threats.  They can also do this near the end of the game to claim objectives or hunt down weak units.  The hammerhead and stealth team will try to collapse a flank and will work in tandem with the devilfish firewarriors.  THe pathfinder team sets up early to markerlight key targets and hopefully seeker missle an enemy tank.   

edit: oh yeah, i normally play tyranids and space marines.  The tyranid guy usualy takes a mix of swarm and monsterous creatures, while the space marine player is very shooty/counter assault.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 05:47:46 AM by Enigma77 »

Offline Lanfeix

Re: 1500 pt Tau, what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 08:41:04 PM »
loss the bonding you have an ethereal no need if you troop are going to break it's in combat and then their all ready dead. buy multi trackers for the devil fish and 2 seeker missiles place 1 on each tank and a decoy launcher and a distrution pod for the hammerhead

i not sure about the finders i only use them when i have lots of fish's with missiles or for markerlighting down sentry turrets (drooping in troop in the first turn hahaha)

i see this in all the lists change one of the broadsides target lock to a multi tracker or you are just wasting 5 points

If YOU want to take part in the 40konline Tournament then just click on this banner

Offline Rotalumis

• Got fava beans?
Re: 1500 pt Tau, what do you think?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 01:11:01 AM »
I think that it is a fairly well done list. You have a good stratigic base set up, but I would offer a one major change and perhaps a few minor ones.

I would not take the pathfinders, but instead another hammer head. I always infiltrate my stealth team into a position of obtuseness, and since they have nifty holo-cloaker-majiggers, I find that they can hold still for a turn to fire a marker light without being annihilated. The hammer head, depending on how you equipped it, would be cheaper (multi-tracker + disruption pod + rail gun + smart missiles = 2 points cheaper  :P), but more importantly, would provide you with a bit more anti-personel firepower. You have definitely got the field of anti-tank covered with the broadsides, but last tournament that I went to, the only game we lost (allied tournament, I was tau, my ally marines) was that we got swamped by a pesky ork mob. I was able to deal with the first gaunt brood (note, tyranid + ork = evil) and a war buggy, but after that got immobilized, and so our only source of descent anti-mass numbers was in the form of our attempts to will the models into nothingness, which of course didn't work that well. I would recommend a hammer head, and that's so you can get some more anti-mob bang.

Other than that, i would tweak the two groups of 10 warriors. Don't give them Shas'ui, which is kind of pointless, unless you are giving them markerlights or drones. Use the existing points to give the two Shas'ui in the groups of 12, since they form a static firing line, they will always be stationary. This will also help to keep any pesky tanks from getting too close (call in seeker missiles / accurate rail guns).

One last thing, but it doesn't really matter too much. Take one target lock on the broadsides and turn it into a multi-tracker, since he can fire at one target, his comrades at two different ones, so that kind of defeats the purpose of having a third target lock.

So, that's what I would do, but if you have success with the pathfinders or have had success in the past, let me know, since I've still got a fast attack slot open and am wondering what to do with it. Hope I was of some help to the greater good ;)!
"A censous taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver, with some fava beans and a nice kiantie." - The Good Doctor.

"Don't give in to hate! That leads to the dark side!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

"Good. You have control of your fear. Now! Release your anger! Only your hatred can destroy me!" - Darth Vader

"Twisted by the dark side young Skywalker has become. The boy you trained, gone he is. Consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda