News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1750pt Tournament Report. Necrons.  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
1750pt Tournament Report. Necrons.
« on: April 26, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »
Brought my Necrons down on the weekend for a fun 1750pt tournament. No prizes, so yeah.

My list was as such.

Deceiver.
Six Pariahs.
Six Immortals.
Two squads of ten Warriors.
Eight scarabs w/Disruption Fields.
Two units of three Destroyers.
Two units of Two Heavy Destroyers.

Game 1.

Black Templars.
Emperors Champion w/nine marines in Rhino (Powerfists, meltagun).
Three other units of marines in Rhinos. (powerfists meltaguns).
Two Missile Launcher Speeders.
Three Vindicators.

Primary Objective was Kill points, secondary was to have the most units above 50%. Deployment was spearhead.

My opponent won first turn and we both had a large ruin in our deployment zone. We both deployed cautiously out of LOS of eachother. The first few turns went well for me. I lost one squad of Heavy Destroyers early on from the speeders, but I managed to crippled all his Vindicator tanks within the first three tuns (scarabs in the middle of his lines is a lot of fun). However, I was completely unable to 'kill' more then one of his Rhino's (pinning the squad). Pariahs proved useful in the midgame when he got close. Deceiver forced a lot of no retreat wounds on him and hopped between one squad to another to kill one and leave the other at two models. However, in the late game he had two full squads of Black Templar hitting my lines and there was nothing I could really do about it. Frustrating as my Destroyers, warriors and pariahs combined could not kill one blasted Rhino. C'tan choked in the late game, failing to kill two marines in one round of combat.

I lost the Primary by one KP and narrowly lost the secondary as well.

So, one loss so far.

Game 2.

Vs Kroot Tyranids.

Tyranid Prime w/boneswords.
Three units of Tyranid Warriors (Two shooty squads, one with boneswords).
Unit of twenty Hormagaunts.
Trygon.
Tryranofex.
Two Hive Guard.
Two Zoanthropes.
Five Ymargl Genestealers.
Five Raveners.

Mission was multiple objectives (four in our case) while the secondary was to control the most realms of battle tiles, with pitched battle deployment.

Game Initially went well with me going first. I killed all the Hormagaunts first turn, then shooting killed off the Trygon. Raveners Charged my Pariahs quickly, but killed none. This combat went going until the Prime came to save them. My plan was to castle around the two objectives on my side of the table and then eliminate one of his shooty warriors squads off one of his objectives (he had two warrior squads on two of the objectives all game). However, I made a terrible mistake in passing an easy opportunity for the C'tan to eat the Prime and bonesword guard, while I did a terrible job protecting my right flank allowing the Warriors and the Genestealers to pour through my flank. I should have sent the heavy destroyers to act as a shield to my warriors. However, I lost both my warrior squads and phased out.

Game 3.

Space Marines.

Captain w/ Command squad in Razorback.
Librarian w/tactical squad in Drop Pod.
Two Autocannon Dreads.
One Vindicator.
One tactical squad in Rhino.
One scout squad.

Dawn of War. Primary Mission was two objective. Secondary was to kill all enemy HQ's. Ha ha.

My opponent went first. I kept my warriors in Tactical Reserve. He kept his scouts on his objective. Rhino squad combat squaded. Plasmacannon on my right flank, scouts on the left. Droppod landed on my left mid table. Two squads came out, one with Librarian. All the armour units in the middle of the table.

I turbo boosted the Heavy Destroyers up the left side of the table and the scarabs up the middile to cause grief. everything else walked on in the middle, favoring the left. I rolled well for night fight, seeing the Librarians squad loose a couple of doods.

My opponent's librarian cast Null zone (?) and then he focused fire on the scarabs. Killing nothing as Null zone has no effect on them. Scouts shot down one heavy destroyer unit. I proceed to blast the scarabs into the Vindicator, but only stun it :(. Deceiver+pariahs makes the Librarian fall back, who doesn't regroup because of the scarabs. Command squad kills the scarabs while the C'tan and Pariahs makes him run away as well. Basically, the C'tan and pariahs walk up the middle of the table soaking fire, while the destroyers blast at his troops choices and my warriors control my objective. Eventually, all he had left was one marine squad on the far right of the table and the Librarian was eaten by the C'tan. However, the C'tan eventually died and his explosion killed the Captain's command squad. From that point on I just needed the game to end so I could claim primary. Unfortunately, I took quite a pounding from his shooting elements (warriors constantly kept Vindicator stunned). By turn seven, I had very few models left. One warrior squad failed their 25% morale from shooting. They ran off the board, forcing me to Phase. Thus, turning a definite win into a complete loss.

So, three losses. No primary or secondary points. However, I came middle of the pack due to my high soft scores (for painting, background and display board).

The first two games I made obvious mistakes which would have turned things around for me. But the second game my army just sort of decided that it didn't want to break up the pattern. A bit frustrating, but what can you do eh? All in all a fun time. Now I need to prepare for the Invitational only tournament next month I've been invited to. 2000pts. I feel optimistic.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
Re: 1750pt Tournament Report. Necrons.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 07:23:43 PM »
Tough break on those games :( but interesting to say the least. I know what you mean about shooting everything you have at say a Rhino and not doing squat... Seems to me trying to get a little more defense in your list will help a lot for your 2000 point tournament. If you can keep those Warriors protected and avoid phase out, hopefully you can pull a better score overall.

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:07:21 PM »
OUCH.  That was painful to witness, even after the fact.  I'm glad your soft scores improved your overall standing; I can tell you have a very nice looking army.  The tables you were playing on look pretty good too.
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 07:59:48 AM »
Thanks. I learned more from these games then I would have from winning. I still made mistakes in all three. I'll need to keep them all in mnd for the future.

I like soft scores, as it can mitigate my terrible ability to actually play the game.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria