News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Necrons vs Dark Eldar 1850pts  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Necrons vs Dark Eldar 1850pts
« on: October 8, 2010, 12:35:13 PM »
Right, had a games agaisnt Dark Eldar. The two oldest books dueling it out...or something. Anyway, We played a battle mission book and got Waaaagghh! (Multiple objectives essentially, with some extras which didn't really come into play). With the Dark Eldar playing the role of the Orks. Why not?

My list was...

Lord w/Viel and Orb.
Two squads of eight flayed ones.
Three units of eleven necron warriors.
One unit of nine or eight scarabs.
Two units of three destroyers.
One monolith.
Two Tomb Spiders.

His list was.

Two Dark eldar lords, both with drugs and an assortment of terrible things I cannot fantom.
Two large squads of Wyches with Agoniser leaders in Raiders (One gets always strike first, other gets +1 attack).
three squads of Warriors in Raiders with blaster and spinter cannon.
Two ravegers with three disintigrators.

All skimmers have night shields, all the raiders have dark lances.

So, he deploys first, rather conservatively in the top left quarter. I deploy (mostly behind) the monolith and terrain in my bottom right. Scarabs deploy to my left flank (hopefully spread him out) and the Flayed ones infiltrate to the top right flank (to encourage the spreading of his forces).

Turn 1.

My opponent got the first turn (as he would 5/6 of the time in this mission). The ravagers stayed back, while one wyche raider and two warrior raiders skimmed over near the scarabs, one warrior squad disembarked. One warrior squad zoom-zoomed over to my Flayed ones. Everything else sort of chilled out. Something important to note, both the Lords are with wyches.

In the shooting phase, one ravager opened up onto my painted flayed ones unit, melting a couple (they fall over), while the other opens up on one of my warrior squads, and vaporises the whole lot of them (  :'( ). besides that, raider and warriors shoot my scarabs and kill a couple of bases.

In my turn, six of the dead warriors get back up, while one of the fallen flayed ones stands back up. I shuffle my phalanx towards the middle of the table. Keeping a keen eye to use the building to my right and the monolith as LOS blocking terrain. Scarabs inch closer to the warriors/raider near them, while the flayed ones keep rushing up the top of the table. The destroyers start off the shooting. One group stun a raider in the top left corner, while the destroyer to my left flank destroy a raider near my scarabs, the monolith then particle whips the squad down to only a handful of models. The scrabds charge the remaining Warriors from the wreakage and kill 'em all.

Turn 2.

One wyche raider turbo-boosts right next to my Monolith, while the other boosts near my scarabs. One ravager fires into the destroyers, knocking out two of them, while the other fires into the Flayed ones again, however cover is in my favor and I suffer no wounds. The warriors on the gound fire into the scarabs again, and I loose one wounded base.

The wounded destroyer get funneled through the Monolith, and launch to the middle of the table, while the second group has the scarabs fall back and create a living shield around them to deter assaults. The Monoliths Flux arc wrecks the Wyches raider, while the destroyers on the left flank destroy an empty raider. The teleported destroyers wreck the last warrior raider, whose occupants are then charged and killed off by the flayed ones (thank god for move through cover on them).

Now all I needed to worry about was an entire unit of wyches in my lines...

Turn 3.

The wyches near the Monolith sneak by, and charge the Tomb Spider, to no real effect. Ravagers continue shooting into the Flayed ones, to no real detrimental effect.

My lord Veils his squad next to the dark eldar warrior squad, and then the rapid-firing shots from the Lord and around sixteen necron warriors kills them all. The other warrior squad backs away from the wyches and tomb spider. Flayed ones assault both ravagers and shake them both.

Turn 4.

Ravangers both boost away from the Flayed ones, while the second wyche squad disembarks near the Lord's warrior unit. Needless to say, the wyches and Dark Eldar lord make short work of my warriors and lord and run my squad down.

In my turn, one flayed one units heads to the middle of the board, while the other keeps chasing the ravagers. The tomb spider finally falls to the wyches in combat.

Turn 5.

The dark eldar lord uses drugs to assault my Flayed ones, however they loose only one model, and kill the Necron Lord. The Wyches in my back lines botch up their difficult terrain rolls and fleet rolls and end up stranded in front of my lines.

Monolith and my warriors all shoot into the Wyches squad, leaving only the Lord alive (albeit wounded.)

Turn 6.

The Dark Eldar Lord charges my Necron Warriors, but doesn't really do a whole lot before I kill it. However the ravagers and Wyches kill off the rest of the Flayed ones which drop my to my Phase out point.

In my turn, I phase out. The Dark Eldar Waaagh thus continues unabated, even after the Heroic efforts of the Necrons.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Necrons vs Dark Eldar 1850pts
« Reply #1 on: October 9, 2010, 10:13:42 AM »
Thanks for the pictures they were great and its good to see such old rivals vs each other.

I think you fought a hard battle and did well overall, it unfortunate the bio-mass took the day; but "We'll Be Back" I am sure.

I prefer to run my Destroyers in groups of 5, as I have too often seen 3's shot down in one volley, just something to consider.

Cheers and thanks again for sharing, and thanks for taking part in the Campaign.
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 10:50:33 AM »
Against dark eldar: monoliths, destroyers are the answer.
As a dark eldar player I love seeing them kick ass, there's no point in hiding it, I love my dark eldar a lot more than my necrons.
As a necron player I hate playing against dark eldar, I just don't have what it takes to destroy them and I freagin hate the phase out rule.

2-3 monoliths are impossible to destroy with my favorite army, only thing we have is the DL so far (changes with new dex of course)
Destroyers are a priority to destroy, long range, good firepower and mobile.
Pretty much describes out own army, but necrons are a bit harder to destroy, they're just the perfect way to counter our own army. While most of the necron army is slow, destroyers can easily keep up with the speed of the dakr eldar.

Moc's advice is valid, I've found out it's better myself, destroyer squads are a pain against most armies, they try to shoot them down asap, so it's better to field as many of those as possible.

It may sound a bit lame, cheesy or whatever you want, but monolith and/or destroyer spam is the easiest way to deal with Dark Eldar.
Field enough of both and dark eldar can't even touch you.

Cool battlerport none the less.
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 01:37:21 PM »
I have been getting into the habit of taking larger squads, as Destroyers are just do damned good. Intresting side note about Dark Eldar and I. When I first playing 40k at the beginning of 3rd edition, the fellow who got me into the game played Dark Eldar. Not once did I best him in a game, and since then I've never won a game against Dark Eldar...Ever.

I am excited about the New Dark Eldar codex, as the lack of blast disintegrators will make my very happy. And the fact that they still seem to rely on Melta/Lance rules to kill tanks makes my Monolith very happy. I actually almost have enough destroyers to feild a full 15 destroyer, destroyer army. However, I still have a few unpainted ones I refuse to use in that batch.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 01:53:49 PM »
Dark eldar are still a bizzarre entity. We have a local guy that usually wins best general (he's never won 'overall' though) at MANY of our local tournaments.

I think the current dex will be VERY similar in that they will be unforgiving, but just as potent. (More of a aspect feel like Eldar). Anyway, I believe the best defense is something like a Chimera, or in our case, Destroyers in mass.

I just won't go that route right now personally, but I do understand why you would.