News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1750 Necron vs IG -- 29 Sep 2010 (campaign game)  (Read 2820 times)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
1750 Necron vs IG -- 29 Sep 2010 (campaign game)
« on: September 30, 2010, 10:55:32 AM »
I met a great gamer today by the name of Jeremy, and as we spoke on the Internet (in here actually) I was looking forward to a gem vs his Imperial Guardsman as I always enjoy facing of one of the more "good" races with my Necrons, well hey, we are the most 3vil race in the Multiverse.

Anyway, Straight to business, the Armies (Jeremy will fire me his list later; but for now you get the condensed version - as per usual, click on any picture to go to the full size version of it).

The Mighty Green Machine

(300) El-Decievio
(200) Necron Lord, D-body, GoF, Phyl, P-Shift, and Scythe.
(252) 7 Pariah
(180) 10 Necron Warriors
(180) 10 Necron Warriors
(123) 3 Necron Wraiths
(123) 3 Necron Wraiths
(060) 5 Scarab Swarms
(165) 3 Tomb Spiders
(165) 3 Tomb Spiders

1748pts, 2 Scoring Units, 14 Kill Points, PO= 6/27 Necrons with 46 Figures

I know that my Necrons are not the Typical Necron build and I figured that I would be hard pressed as a lot of Jeremy's army could use range to keep on pounding on my little Necrons. I am still building some of my army so the Blue Dudes are from the store (borrowed) and the Blue Warriors are actually Pariah as mine are mostly just legs on a base at this point except for one (pictured to the side of the full army shot and obviously he was scratchbuilt like much of my list).

Jeramy's IG

HQ = Ironfist dude + 5 buddies
Sly the Malbaro Man
Commissar in Big Blob (about 30 and 3 Auto-cannons)
Dudes in Chimera
Dudes in Chimera
3 Sentinals
Vendetta & 5 dudes.
2 Leaman Russ in a  Squad
Bassilisk
Demolisher

1750ish, 3 Scoring units at least, 14ish Kill Points, Lots of IG bodies and Armour

So the Kill Points are about the same and he doesn't have too many extra Scoring Units than I have; thus I thought that aside from his speed and range, I had a decent chance to do well enough vs him. We went over a few quick rules and I am no expert on IG; but it looked to me that he had buckets of shooting, a big Tarpit, and a few hidden gems that would most certainly throw a surprise at me.

Misison, Deployment, and Turn 1.
     We roll for Mission and we get Annihilation with a Dawn of War deployment. Jeramy then rolls for first turn and he opts to take it placing the Big Blob and his HQ squad. I then Opt to have my entire army walk on aside form the 2 Warrior Squad that are going into Full Reserves.
     So Jeramy has the rest of his army arrive as well, he rushes at me for the most part and has not shooting; but I did not notice that his Sentinals and Sly were Outflanking.
     Thus I had TMGM arrive mostly as a Flank Rush to my left side; with the D-Lord, 2 Wraith units, and Scarb Swarms using Turbo to gain 3+ Cover Saves. I then ran everything that didn't Turbo, and had the 6 Tomb Spiders sprog a baby each (without causing any wounds, so that was a bonus).

Please take note of the Excellent paint scheme that Jeremy is developing as the IG in our local area never stop surprising me with their deversity, unique feel, and most excellent figures. It almost makes me want to convert to the guard (no thanks, but I did think about if for a second).

Score IG=0 Necrons=0

Turn 2.
     OK Jeramy's Outflankers don't arrive (I wish as they actually did). Anyway we had a quick blurb on being clear on Reserves, Outflankers, etc; but to me it was not an issue so we games on with the Sentinals and Sly arriving on my Left Flank. Sly drops a Holy Cow template (Str=8, Ap=1) on my Pariah and after slight scatter pastes two of them outright. The Basilisk then drops another Pie Plate on them and me not knowing that Ordinance is Area Terrain only for Cover Saves, 3 more go down like little sad sacks. More shooting and 3 Wraiths (Gold Squadron) are dropped like flies. D0Lord absorbs some Auto-Cannon fire; but his 3+ Cover Save prove to be up to task, and some fire went into the Tomb Spiders but with 50% of the unit in cover, they shook it off.
     Rolled for Reserves and none arrived.
     WBB had 2/3 Wraith self repair and join Blue Squadron.
     TMGM advances on mass aside from the 2 Pariah that opt to walk over to Mr Sly the Malbaro Man in order to discuss a matter of importance. Sly takes a couple Guass Blaster shots to heart and falls over smoking like chard bacon. El-Decievio cast Dread in order to try and hamstring the Big Blob in CC; but they pass their LD test (well without my Pariah to offset their LD, my plan was not quite as good). Anyway, the D-Lord and 5 Wraiths plow into CC with the Big Blob while two of the Tomb Spiders jump the Vendetta and the Scarabs Jump the Chimera and Demolisher. The two Tomb Spiders hit the Vendetta 1 time and Explode it, killing 2 Guardsmen and pinning the squad (that was lucky). The Scarabs do what Scarabs do -- nothing. While the D-Lord and 5 Wraiths mow down a stack of Guardsmen (not enough) but also take a casualty in return to one of the Wraith and the D-Lord. The Commissar then Pastes a Sergeant to insure the squad stands fast (and this is one seriously awesome Guardsmen tactic for Big Blobs, as I generally hit hard enough to break a lot of enemy squads on first contact, so I really like this "Fix" to the IG Codex).

Note that this second Picture was actually just after Jeremy stepped back with his Demolisher to get a nicer shot at the Scarabs. So its part of the end of Turn 2 and part of his turn 3

Score IG=0 Necrons=1

Turn 3.
     Jeramy shakes his head as he assesses the carnage and the potential carange he can now inflict. He then adjusts his tanks a little to get nicer angles of tragectory on my poor Necrons. The Sentinals plaster the Pariah in very short order, and he gets his first KP as they vanish. A host of big Pie Plates don't quite do the job on my Tomb Spiders but there are a few less baby bugs around, and the Scarabs got completely smoked. Into CC again, the Ironfist-er + buddies jump the Wraiths but the Wraiths and D-Lord are still going first and they continue to paste a number of regular Guradsmen, I actually forgot to remove an attack for figures in btb with the GoF D-Lord so a couple extra attacks happened; but it was no big deal as the Commissar ended up shooting another Sergeant, and the Fearless Factor took care of 3-4 of Ironfists buddies.
     I forgot to roll for my Reserves, I asked Jeremy about this near the end of my turn and he said to leave it until next time (nice of him; but it might have been a game changer - actually he would have seen one squad of Warriors arrive)
    WBB has the Wraiths self Repairing to a 3 Wraith Squad, still mixed so no kill points for Jeremy from them yet.
    TMGM advances on a whole. Some stuff runs, and/or makes a new babay and then one Tomb Spider jumps into CC with the Chimera and Explodes it to kill 2 Guardsmen inside and pins the unit. Another Tomb Spider kills the remains of the Vendetta squad, and the D-Lord and Wariths pick off a few more Guardsmen whit one Wraith going Down, the Commissar shooting the 3rd Sergeant, and Irno-man failing a Fearless factor wound but making his FNP save (nice hidden gem in that one BTW).

It should be noted that Ironfist was doing well to hit and wound the D-Lord but the Necron was doing better with his Phase Shifter 4+ invul save. Also, as mentioned, I did note that I honestly forgot to roll for my reserves; but Jeremy stated not to bother until my next turn.

Score IG=2 Necrons=3

Turn 4
     Jeramy didn't hold back as the IG went straight to work with some slight adjustments in position and then some shooting. The most forward Tomb Spider that just wasted a Chimera got a squad with Plasma unloaded about an inch away from him, so there would be no Saves from Plasma. 1 Plasma gunner cooked his own head but they did manage to roast the baby and wound on his Big Brother. The Fist squad smashed a Tomb Spider with one well placed attack to finish it off. The Sentinals try to wound the Deciever and he is wounded (once). The Leamun Russ squad evaporated the Tomb Spider that was up close to them, and the Basilisk tried to get another but Cover Saves saved the Big and little guy. In CC another Wraith goes down, while the Big Blob gets smaller and smaller and the Commissar continues to shoot individuals who consider fleeing.
     Reserves had both squads of Necron Warriors arriving.
     Wraith makes a WBB to have 2 still in the fight (1 from each unit).
     The Warrior take to the one piece of terrain they can exploit for Cover Saves, running to actually get 50% of each squad into the area. Tomb Spiders adjust while the Deceiver goes straight for the Big Blob hoping to offset that smodge. Make some new babies and into CC for a couple Tomb Spiders, the one to the left beats up some Guardsmen without incident while the other Immobilizes the Chimera but no wounds are exchanged; everyone stays in the fights so over to the Blob we go. Wraiths kill a couple of lesser Guardsmen, D-Lord partially impails Ironfist for his first wound, and the Deciever insures that CC goes hugely in the favour of the Necrons. All that without any return wounds being inflicted And at this point in time I remember that the Gaze of Flame should also be adding a -1 to lost combats for the enemy; but its a mute point - I think as he was failing LD and making Fearless Factor saves anyway.

Score
IG=4 -- Pariah, Scarab Swarm, 2 X Tomb Spider
Necrons=4 -- Vendetta + Guardsmen, Chimera, Sly the Malbaro Man

Turn 5
     Jeramy is slowly loosing in Close Combat but he has a greater plan to follow through with still as he shifts targets. The  Sentinals run out of targets to they opt to approach the Blob CC. He does some slight vehicle adjustments and then has his Template Weapons pound on the the Necron Warriors, The Scatter dice are favourable (very favourable) but the Necrons were in area terrain so they got some saves and in the end the Necron Warriros were reduced to 7/10 and 6/10 respectively; and they would not have the option of WBB. The Guardsmen unit didn't fair so well as they did nothing in CC, while the Scarabs killed a couple of them, and then the Tomb Spider Exploded the Chimera causing more Guardsmen Deaths; in the end the 5 remaining Guardsmen turned tail and started to run away (Consolidation move had the Necrons well within Auto-run range still). After that the Blob was reduced some more by the Wraith and the Deceiver, and Iron-Fist was Scythed repeatedly by the D-Lord, while one Wraith was put down in return as the Sentinals lend a hand to the IG side of the CC.
     WBB has the Blue Squad Wraith not self-repairing thus the IG finally gain that Kill Point.
     TMGM adjust position slightly. Big Blue fits between the two Infantry squads and hits the Demolisher but fails to do any damage, 2 Tomb Spiders gang up on one Infantry squad in the crater (fist squad) and pound it to oblivion before they consolidate. Deceiver wastes 2 of the Sentinals weaponry systems and the Blob infantry are finally beatin down by the Wraith and D-Lord.

Score
IG=5 -- Pariah, Scarab Swarm, 2 X Tomb Spider, Wraiths
Necrons=7 -- Vendetta + Guardsmen, 2 X Chimera, Ironnuts squad, Fist & Blob Infantry, Sly the Malbaro Man

Note that the game actually ended here on a 2. But as I fudged my Reserves earlier I thought it only sporting to grant Jeramy the opportunity to go for the Phase Out and Claim a Victory. The game was also very close up to this point with us being tied or within a point of each other most of the way. Thus we continued.

Turn 6-7 Summarized
     Jeramy has his infantry stay on the table and they shoot Big Blue to death with Plasma fire. In CC one lone Sentinal remains to hold 3 Necron units in place. And the Pie plates reduce the Warriors to 5/10 and 6/10.
     TMGM jumps the Demolisher with a Tomb Spider to immobilize it, Another Tomb Spider jumps the infantry but only kills 4/5 and he stays in the fight. El-Deceivio and his buddies pummel the Sentinal repeated, again and again, and again.
     The Pie Plates and Las Cannons reduce the Warriors to 4/10 each (not enough as my PO=6 and 10 Necrons remained). and the Demolisher explodes from auto-hitting Tomb Spider action. In the other CC action Lone Gaurdsman McQuade holds off a Tomb Spider by himself to earn the Holy Crap Medal of Insanity and Extreme Stealth. {pic taken at this point in time}
     TMGM then pummels Lone Gaurdsman McQuade for fun and calls it a day.

Score
IG=6 -- Pariah, Scarab Swarm, 3 X Tomb Spider, Wraiths
Necrons=11 -- Vendetta + Guardsmen, 2 X Chimera, Ironnuts squad, Demolisher, Sentinals, Plasm & Fist & Blob Infantry, Sly the Malbaro Man.

Special thanks to Jeramy for the great game, and to GW Halifax for the use of their facility, and to Brian for the treats, and to the rest of the gallery for their comments etc as your all appreciated.

Cheers

SupREME-10
Necrontyr Lord
TMGM Necron Cell 100111

SupREME-10
Necrontyr Lord
TMGM Necron Cell 100111
« Last Edit: October 1, 2010, 12:44:27 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Wyldhunt

Re: 1750 Necron vs IG -- 29 Sep 2010 (campaign game)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 12:20:28 PM »
Hey, moc!  Always nice to read one of your reports.  I think this might be the first time I've read about you using your 'crons, so it was interesting to see how your plan of attack varies from your other armies. Still lots of fast guys I see. 

Congrats on the win, and way to use those 'crons!  It's mean of me, but I usually enjoy reading reports in which the Imperial Guard lose.  That said, your opponent's paint scheme was rather nice to look at, and colorful 'crons were a nice change of pace.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 12:35:28 PM »
The Wraiths, D-Lord, and Scarabs are fast; but in general they are Tarpit or Distraction units so that the Deceiver and Tomb Spiders can do the real dirty work as a Second Wave of Close Combat. At least thats how it worked in this game. I do have games were the Warriors are working more but I am surprised that this is the first Necron Batrep you read form me, as I do have a number of them done up in here.

Oh and the Army concept that I used for this game was not my own idea, Gutstikk used it against some long time ago. I like the idea so much that I actually worked to develop some of the tactics, stratagies, and even built the figure to allow me to do it. Thanks again Gutstikk, as its one of the most Fun armies I have.

For interest sake though, I did dig up a few older Batreps for you to paruse as well (don't write in them as that would be thread-romancy)
1800pts Necrons vs Eldar June 2008 (4th Ed)
1800pts Necrons vs Eldar July 2008 (4th Ed)
1000pts of TMGM vs SM's 10 Dec 2008
1000pts of TMGM vs SM's 19 Dec 2008
1500pts of TMGM vs Orkz 29 Jan 2009
1000pts of TMGM vs Shirke SM's 17 Feb 2009
1700pts of TMGM vs New IG 22 Apr 2009
1700pts of TMGM vs Space Wolves 31 Aug 2010

Cheers.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:43:22 PM by moc065 »

Offline Log

• Burna Boy
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 02:54:03 PM »
Another Great read Moc, I always like reading your reports, they pics are always good and more often than not there is a lot of insight into what you were thinking. I'm curretly making my way through your back catalogue of reports.

I have to admit that I was pretty sure that when a unit wbb'd and joined another unit, that was when it granted the kill point, but I've very new to necrons so I'm sure I've got that wrong.

Good victory and Jeremy seemed like a great opponent and very sporting, the hobby needs more Jeremy's.

Thanks for the report  :D

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:18:45 PM »
I might have erred for the Kill Point to begin with; but in the end, he only bagged one unit of Wraiths and he got the one Kill Point, we also very careful to make sure that the dice were allotted to individual Wraiths for each WBB, etc.

Jeremy was a great opponent and actually up here in Halifax we are blessed in that regard. We quickly discussed anything that came up, and went with what felt right for the game and between us. Not one argument, we both made small errors such as not declaring Outflankers, or forgetting Reserve rolls, etc. So we adjusted the game to as we went to try to account for that with things like the 2 extra turns, etc. There is no need to argue in any game as far as I am concerned, and if nothing else is working I have found that any discussion can be done in seconds with 1 simple dice roll "4+ equals A, 3- equals B, would like you to Roll ?"

Cheers

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #5 on: October 1, 2010, 09:20:10 AM »
Great Game, thanks for taking the IG off the flanks, the orks will be round shortly... ;)

Btw: 2 teef
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #6 on: October 5, 2010, 09:58:10 AM »
I always love the style of your batreps; they're a load of fun to read. It's also good to see the Necrons plowing through with the CC-focus, though I do wish the shootier versions got some love as well ;). I know both you and Firefox have done a lot of work in that regard.

I think this was a hard matchup for the IG even though they pack a lot of firepower. I think the guns just don't do enough against the high toughness and excellent cover saves the 'Crons can bring, and keeping an eye on keeping your army close together and functioning as a cohesive whole makes it very hard to break the Necron advance. I hope your opponent had as good a time taking potshots at the toasters as you did knocking heads with him! Both armies had a lot of nice tricks and nasty surprises, and I think this tends to make for a better match than a straight-up scrum.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #7 on: October 5, 2010, 10:11:25 AM »
Thanks Gutstikk, and you reminded me of something when you mentioned Cover Saves. Considering that at no time did any of my Necrons ever Go-to-Ground, I was very impressed with how the Warriors stayed in the fight.

I do wish that their LD was Stubborn though, as I came really close to failing just form his shooting, and in Close Combat my Warriors do not tend to do so well due to the current ComRez style. Just wishlisting for the new Necron Codex.

I have my next game planned for this Thrusday (7 Oct 2010), and as it will be for the "Kill Box" special bonus mission vs a Space Wolf buddy, I have a special surprise in store for him, as some of the more shooty unit just might hit the table again. I have always loved the Necron line of shooty units, the problem is that they just don't do so well if they get caught in CC, thus I will have to use blockers and shock absorbers well have even the slightest hope in hell in that battle.

I also have some great stuff planned for The Mighty Green Machine come NecrO-vember; too bad that the campaign will be over, or it might be that I have to impliment some plans a little early.

Cheers