News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Apocalypse Battle Report. Necrons and Black Templar Vs Imperial Guard and Tau  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Along the Coast of Trax-Delta. Combined force of the Cadian XI Armored Company, with supporting Elements of the Death Korps XXI armored Divisions were moving along the coastal beach's next to the ruins of the Trax-Delta spaceport. The regiments had both recently fallen into favour with the Tau, and were working on their behalf. Helping clear away resistance on the Trax-Delta in order for a full Tau occupation. The space port was the last area of strong resistance, and now all that needed happen was a mopping up of the rest of the imperial forces. Unfortunately, the fighting had awoken a more ancient force, hidden under the planets surface. The Necron Forces of the Brotherhood of the Spiraling Worm, had a strong presence in their tombs on the planet.

Ranks upon ranks of Necron warriors, and their eldric weapons phased onto the surface of the world, in order to drive the invading forces spearhead into the sea. Unknown to any of the sides, a small black templar strike force was also ready to strike the rebel forces, when the time was right. The Black Templars were equipped with recovered technology from a recently purged Necron Tomb, which, when worn, was able to hide their presence from the Necrons sensors for a small period of time. Hopefully it would be enough time in order to ensure that the Rebel forces were neutralized. Especially their super heavy tanks. A Stormlord, and Shadow Sword tank.

The forces were now ready, only question was, who would be the first to strike?

Not sure of Exact forces (besides mine), due to the size of them. But, from what I can put together is the following. Pictures have most truth.

Imperial Guard and Tau forces.

over a dozen Leman Russ Variants.
One armored Sentinel
Three Veteran Squads in Chimeras
One imperial Guard combined squad platoon
Comissars
Lord Commissar
Primaris Psyker
Lascannon heavy weapon team
ShadowSword super heavy
Stormlord super heavy
Imperial Thunderbolt fighter
Imperial Marauder Bomber
A couple sniper squads
Basilisk
Vendetta with three lascannons.
Creed and Kell
two Pasks in Vanquishers.

Three Battlesuits
Suit Commander
Firewarriors in Devilfish
Kroot Squad
Drone squad

Stratagems. Force Field Generator, Orbital Bombardment, Strategic Redeployment.

The Necron and Black Templar

55 Necron Warriors
11 Destroyers
5 heavy destroyers
3 lords
One Deceiver
20 scarabs
8 pariahs
8 flayed ones
2 tomb spiders
1 Gauss Pylon (part of the Undying Legion formation, with the warriors).

High marshel Helbricht
Emperors Champion
Terminator Assault squad, in Crusader
Chaplin with Assault Squad
Tactical Squad in Rhino, another on foot.
Dreadnaught
Devastator squad.

Assets. Resurrection Scarabs, Flank March, Blind Barrage.

Total 6kpts. a side, so a 12000pt battle.

Table.

The tables deployment was split diagonally, from the bottom right corner, to the top left corner.

This paint map, will give a good idea of how the deployments happened, and where the objectives were. Team Necron-Templars deployed first, and got first turn. I set up the Undying Legion (Pylon+warriors) formation on the objective in our deployment in the top right, destroyers set up to the south of that position, between the woods and some ruins, while Flayed ones outflanked and Pariahs and Deceiver set up straight ahead. Scarabs lined my entire deployment line,D-lord on the left side with them. Warriors were in five squads. 10,10,10,10,15. VOD lord with the larger squad, last lord with one of the furthest forward 10 man squads.

Black Templars kept most of their forces in reserves, but the devastator squad, and a dread deployed in a fortification in the middle of our deployment.

Our opponents Deployed next. Stormlord tank, went into the ruins on our left, massive guard squad in the tank traps in the exact bottom middle of the table. The rest was deployed in between. Shield generator right in the middle. A Vanquisher with Pask, outflanked due to Kreed. The Fliers (including the Vendetta) stayed in reserves. The tau focused their forces near the bottom of the Ruins, with the Kroot Infiltrating to top of it, into no mans land.

Turn 1.

The Necron Advance, was heralded by a vast cloud of thick smoke which passed over the Imperial Guard tank lines, cutting off all line of sight of anything behind the Chimeras. Chittering clouds of scarabs flew into the Guard lines, with the backdrop of smoke acting as their cover. The Destroyer Lord, and his scarab squad Turboboosted into the city, to fight the Stormlord. The Other group, headed to the far right flank of the Guard lines, which was guarded by a Punisher tank, and a Guard Platoon.The Black Templars, and Destroyers Attempted to damage the Chimeras, but were protected by the energies of the force feild generator, while the Deceivers 'deceive' power caused the guard platoon to fall back.

The immense powers of the Gauss Pylon turned it's sights to the Stormlord super heavy tank, damaging it's tracks, and causing integral structural damage as well.

Guard turn 2.

Our Opponents turn began with an Orbital Bombardment opening up ontop of my destroyers, after that (and any tanks fire, that could get through the smoke of the Blind Barrage) resulted in all 11 destroyers, three heavy destroyers, and one tomb spider dead. With no chance of We'll be back. On the right flank, the Tau and Stormlord fired at the Destroyer Lord and his scarab unit, but due to 2+ and 3+ cover saves, I only lost a couple of bases. Their army did not move very much, but the Kroot charged the Scarab and Lord unit, resulting in 5 wounds dealt to the Scarabs, but same amount to the Kroot.

Objectives
Contested/unocupied-4
Necrons-1
Guard-1

Turn 2

The Loss of the Destroyers was pretty harsh, but we withstood the first shooting phase quite well, and now the enemy forces would only weaken.

My Black Templar ally, sent in his Flanking Forces this turn, a chaplain with assault squad jump in behind the Stormlord, while a Landraider rose from the surf, unleashing five lighting claw terminators behind the infantry Platoon. The Viel Lord teleported 15 necron warriors, and himself behind the tank lines, near an objective and ran to spread themselves out.

Shooting was not quite as strong as we wanted, due to the force field protecting his Chimeras, but the Pylon got a shot into the Stormlord through the force Fields and shot off it's Volcano Cannon. In assault, The Destroyer Lord lost the last of his Scarabs, but still drew combat. The other scarab squad charged the Punisher, and stunned it, while the Pariahs and Deceiver both charged separate Chimeras and wrecked them. Leaving two veteran squads (one with Primaris Psyker) on foot. Assault Terminators Eliminated the Infantry Platoon, while the Assault marines had an easy time latching meltabombs onto the Stormlord, causing it to explode. The Explosion was not as bad as it could have been, but still caused a few wounds on both sides.

Guard Turn 2.

Imperial Guard reserves also Enter Play. The Vendetta swoops in, south of the Pylon, while Pask outflanks to the left of the Pylon. Marauder Bomber Strafes the area above where our forces outflanked the tanks. Tau Firewarriors Devilfish drops them off right next to my warriors, while one vets squads moves to get sight on my Pariahs. The Maurader Bomber drops six bombs on my Necron Warriors which teleported behind their lines, but only four fall, then the rest of the gaurd and tau forces open up on the Assault Terminators, Assault Marines, and my Necron Warriors unit. When the dust settles, Three terminators are left, along with the Chaplin and one Assault Marine, and one Necron Warrior.

Pask's Vanquisher opens up on the Pylon with it's vanquisher Cannon, and lascannon on the hull, and the Vendetta joins in as well. All the both manage to do, is a Drive Damage (Which is ignored due to Living Armour), and a weapon Destroyed (which reduces the shots I can fire by one). The Veterans and snipers eliminate the Pariahs.

In their Assault with My Lord, and the Kroot, The Necron Lord kills one of the avian buggers, and is immune to their retaliation.

Turn 3

The rest of our Reserves enter play. The rest of the Marine units enter in the ruins, near the Stormlord, while the Flayed Ones outflank next to the Basilisk tank. With teh Pariahs, Scarabs and Deceiver punching in the front, while the Black Templars and my Warriors/Flayed ones punching through the back, the main part of the Guard force is surrounded.

Near the center of the table, my remaining Tomb Spider, and a lord-lead warrior squad advance to a central objective, while the Deceiver continues to eliminate guard tanks. Scarabs blow the turret off the only Leman Russ Demolisher, while my lord assaults and immobilizes and blows the cannon off a Vanquisher tank, while my warriors charge the Tau Firewarriors and run them down. The Black Templar Chaplin Charges Creed, but is cut down by Kell, the Lone assault Marine stuns another Leman Russ, and my Lord finally kills all the Kroot, and tanks cover from the Stormlord, behind a wall.

The Pylon turns it's attention to the Vendetta, but as it's a flier, all my shots are downgraded to glancing hits. It's still shaken, so unable to fire. Warriors around the Pylon fire at Pasks Vanquisher with little effect. The Newly arrived Black Templar forces advance upon the Tau Suits, and the Stormlord. Lead by Helbritch and the Emperors Champion. The Assault Terminators charge a Vetren squad, lead by a defiant Commissar who survives the initial onslaught alone.

Flayed ones charge the Baslisk, immobilize it, and destroy all it's guns in one fell swoop. I like it when peoples tanks don't move.

Guard turn 3.

Thunderbolt fighter arrives this turn. Valkrye flies to pick up a Vet-squad from the ruins of the Chimeras, while the Thunderbolt appears mid table, and the Maurader Bomber relocates to the top edge of the table. In a bid to contest objectives, the Damaged Demolisher runs to the center-table objective which my lord and Spider were heading too. The tanks are either getting trapped by their shaken, or ruined comrades, or stunned/immobile themselves, and thus the big cluster-beslubber of tanks near the beach fails to move very much.

The Marauder Bomber drops the rest of it's bombs on my newly adventurous warrior squad (one with my lord and spider), but drops only a couple in the end. The Thunderbolt bomber drops it's load of bombs on space marines, indeed the Tau also join in the shooting of the newly arrived marines too, and they soon find their Rhino destroyed, as well as quite a few marines fallen. The Storm Lord fires at my Destroyer Lord, knocking him out of the air.

Vanquishers near the beach, fire into the Landraider, but succeed only in stunning it, and blowing off it's multi-melta, though one fires at my VoD Lord, and knocks him down for the second time. Pask's vanquisher near my Pylon opens up with Vanquisher Cannon, Lascannon and two multi meltas, accomplishing nothing. The Lascannons from the Bomber join into the shooting of the Pylon, and are also equally ineffective.

The last of the Scarabs are killed off, by the flamers on a Chimera. Sadly, little buggers lasted a long time.

In the assault phase, my Warriors near the beach, are charged by the Armored sentinel, and are thus stuck in combat.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient

Turn 4.

I try to use my resurrection strategy to bring back my Destroyer lord, but I end up failing to bring him back.. Blaaaaggg... However, the VoD lord Does get back up.

My ally and I decide that objectives could be a good bet at this point. I send off another one of my 10 man squads to congo-line to one of the objectives along our table edge, but still keeping them in cover from the stormlord. Space Marines near the Storm Lord, keep advancing, despite the fire, while the terminators and my Deceiver both are near one of the objectives floating around the tables mid-point. My VoD Lord joins into the Sentinel combat, while the Flayed ones run in search of more tanks to annoy.

Shooting this turn was most ineffective, Pylon shot at one of the battle tanks, but was protected by a force field. Otherwise, not much happened. In the sentinel Combat, my lord manages to stun the Sentinel, which is really not at all that great. But, It fails to kick one of my warriors to death.

My Lord, and the Tomb Spider charge the Demolisher tank, and immobilize it.

Guard turn 4.

My opponents had the same ideas about objectives. One of the Guard players uses his Strategic Redeployment strategy to bring two Russes (one normal, one punisher) into some ruins near my pylon. However, the russ Immobilizes it's self in it's movement. The Vendetta, full of guards, flies right next to my Pylon, and at one of ur objectives. The Fliers re-locate again. Stormlord turns it's self around, to shoot the space marines.

Random shooting, causes the Assault Terminators to take a casualty, and they fail their morale test, and run. Tau use their Jump-pacl move, to keep within 6" of them. StormLord and Tau fire into the black templars at our table edge, and when the dust clears, only the High Marshal and the Emperors champion live. Well, besides the Immobilized rhino.

I the assault phase, the warriors, lord and sentinel keep bashing into each other comically, while my tombspider explodes the Demolisher it, and my third lord were fighting in the previous turn. Thankfully, no one on my side is injured.

Turn 5, Necrons.

Well, those Tanks and Vets near the Pylon, could be an issue.

Deceiver moves to control the objective in the middle of the table, terminators keep falling back. One squad of warriors moves closer to the immobile Russ which redeployed last turn. Assault Terminators keep falling back, while I consolidate my position on the middle objective. Pylon shoots at the Vendetta, however, It misses with both it's shots (reduced by one, due to the weapon destroyed earlier). Flayed ones help add more points around the objective furthest into our opponents Deployment zone, while the lord and warriors keep heroically fighting the sentinel. Warriors near the pylon shake the Leamon Russ battle tank, near the Pylon. However, the Vanquisher and Punisher remain untouched. Deceiver charges the last remaining Chimera, but only manages to blow off it's multi-laser.

Guard turn 5.

Vet's pop out of the Vendetta, which toddles off. Our oppoents armies core, is mostly damaged at this point, so they don't have much that can move, besides their fliers and the Tau Suits. The suits move to try and add their weight to some of the objectives. The Vanquisher and Vendetta both attempt shooting the Pylon again, to no effect. Stormlord, fires it's Vulcan Mega Bolter at my warrior squad which I moved to my right flank (to get to an objective and into some cover). They go to ground to get a 3+ cover save, and I only loose a couple models. Thankfully.

My Black Templar Ally has his last assault marines taken out, and his reserve forces on my Right flank is totally wiped out, by the Tau's shooting. landraider is still kicking around. The rest of my opponents fire is heavily directed at the Deceiver, who (with my opponents last shot) has his necrodermis shattered and is destroyed. According to the picture which will appear later, it bleeds counters. Who'd have thunk it?

vets and Punisher both shoot into the warrior squad at the feet of the Pylon, and reduce them to two models. They are then charged, and wiped out by the Vets. Meanwhile, across the table, the Sentinal and my necrons elude each other in their combat.

After that, we rolled to see if the game would continue. And, we rolled a 1. Therefore, it was up for us to find out who controled each objective. Range was 6", and anything besides an immoble vehicle, or fliers, could capture objectives. If there was more then one side on an objective, then you added up the points total each side had within 6", and then the side with the most would claim that objective.

At the end (And some very careful mathmatics, and gnashing of teeth), we added up all the objectives.

The objective near my pylon, the Guard players controlled with their Vets.
The objective deepest into the Guard deployment, we captured with my Warriors, flayed ones, and Lord.
The two objectives to the right flank were controlled by the Tau (beating the Emperors champion by Points, slightly), and the other by another one of my warrior squads.
The objectives in the middle, had one controlled by the Guard's Vet squads in a Chimera, if the C'tan had survived, it would have been ours!
The last objective, nearest to the middle had two tau suits, and a drones squad near it. Plus, one Necron warrior squad, and my Lord. In the end, I had 380VP, while he only had 360VP.

Therefore, it was a Draw!

Needless to say, it was a very intense game all the way through. The loss of the Destroyers turn 1, hurt a lot. A mistake I wont make again. However, at the end of the game, the Guard had only a handful of tanks in working condition, while wrecks and craters littered the battlefield. The Stormlord in the ruins totally dominated that area, with Tau Support, however, our turn two outflank on the Guard position enabled us to really put a lot of pressure on them, and destroy their firebase. My Space Marine ally, though small, was crucial with his landraiders, terminators and assault marines. They took out the Shadowsword before it could even have a chance to fire a shot! Getting to be a inside joke with that guy. Three games with that shadowsword so far, and has only fired one shot.

The Tau, the smallest force in the battle, mostly controlled the corner around the Stormlord, but was able to nearly rob us of two objectives late game, and put the final wound on the C'tan.

Lots of back and forth fighting in that game, again, very epic. Cannot wait to play another.

Across the Beach at Trax-Delta, both sides had been totally decimated. The Imperial Navy had pulled off to resupply, but even with them leaving, the Necrons were unable to pursue their advance, their force too crippled and the loss of the Deceiver meant their command structure was in tatters, like a phantom, the entire force phased out in order to rebuild in their tombs for their next attempt to eradicate the life on the planet. However, the Black Templar, had accomplished their mission in crippling the rebel guards forces. Even their Tau masters had been hit hard by the fighting.
Although the Space Marines had too been forced to withdrawal what remained of their forces, the rebel amour column was shattered beyond repair. The rebel defenses on Trax-Delta would be unable to defend agaisnt the imminent Imperial Counterattacks, or even hope to repair and regroup in time. The Tau would abandon the world to it's fate.

With so much devastation, there was no winners at the Battle of the Beach, except for the vultures and worms.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Scyrex Deledras

The rest of my opponents fire is heavily directed at the Deceiver, who (with my opponents last shot) has his necrodermis shattered and is destroyed. According to the picture which will appear later, it bleeds counters. Who'd have thunk it?

Green counters...I should have known those things were the essence of all evil...

Great batrep! The board and armies both looked great, and its always fun to read of such widespread destruction on both sides. I'm surprised your Destroyers died so early tho. Were they not in range of the Resurrection Orb?

• Ancient
Res orbs, will make no difference if there are no Destroyers left. Also, in order to get WBB anyway, they wouldn't need the orb. In order to get back, you need (at the very least) another unit of the same type on the table. I lost all the destroyers in one go. In the last game, they did really well, so my opponents were keen on eliminating them.

We are planning another game this saturday at GW (starting at 11), you are free to attend.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=119760278041434
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
Wow!  Great BatRep!  Looks like loads of fun. :)

That Stormlord in the center of the ruins must have felt pretty safe amidst all that Cover. :D

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

• Ancient
The Stormlord was Camouflaged. We couldn't even see it! Or at least, it was a running joke that we couldn't, as the guy never moved the damn thing. Except for one pivot and then yelled.

"Didn't even know it was there did ya!?"

Kind of funny, until it nuked my teammates space marines.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline dalaran1991

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
The Stormlord was Camouflaged. We couldn't even see it! Or at least, it was a running joke that we couldn't, as the guy never moved the damn thing. Except for one pivot and then yelled.

"Didn't even know it was there did ya!?"

Kind of funny, until it nuked my teammates space marines.

Greed's tactical genius  ;D Infiltrate a baneblade into the middle of the enemy line  ;)

The board looks awesome! I love that stargate or whatever fancy stuff in purple and yellow.

With all those big ass templates, it's surprising you managed to get a draw :)

• Ancient
Stargate thing in purple and Yellow? Do you mean my Necron Pylon? My Necrons are all Purple and Yellow.

Glad you liked the report. There really was not much use of the Apoc. Templates, besides some bombs dropped from the Bombers. The game was so brutal to either side, that we really didn't have much left at the end to capture objectives.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria