News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Brotherhood of the Spiraling Worm(Necrons) vs Space Marines (pictures)  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Played one game today at games workshop. Store was quite tonight :(.

I used the same army, agaisnt the same marine player as last week.

Our mission was Annihilation, with Spearhead deployment.

I chose to go second, he kept his thunder hammer terminators and drop pod dread in reserve. he split his force in half, with his chappy and claws terminators in the landraider and one marine squad at the top of the deployment zone. The pred and other tactical squad on the right side. The scouts infilraited onto a hill at the right of the table.

I kept my warriors, C'tan and Spiders to the top of my deployment, with the destroyers all along the bottom and right of my zone.

Right, so my plan was to sweep the destroyers to the right to take out soft targets, like the pred and scouts. I am sure that I would be able to get side shots off on the pred if I got enough of the destroyers down there. Meanwhile, the warriors, spiders and C'tan will advance together up the center. Warriors will weaken stuff before the monsters assault. I knew for sure, that I was not going to allow the C'tan to leave my warriors. I've done that too many times and it's easy for it to get isolated from the rest of my force.

Turn 1

His drop pod targets a clearing behind the building on the hill, but scatters right into the open in front of the majority of my force. My oppoennt knew from the last game, that his dread was not going to last too long.

The landraider drove towards the woods in the centre of the table. The entire space marine force opens up on the C'tan taking off three of it's wounds.

On my turn, my destroyers all fly to the right, while my phalanx heads north. The warriors open up on the Dreadnought immobilizes it. The Destroyers kill all but two of the scouts, forcing them to fall back, while the heavy destroyers nuke the predator tank into a smoking ruin (not bad for a first turn). Nyarlathotep and one of the spiders charges the dread, five hits, five pens, smokes the thing. Both critters consolidate further north. His landradier is close, might as well give Nyarlathotep the chance to punch it a bit.

KP BotSW-2 Space Marines-0
Turn 2

The terminators fail to come
in. His force doesn't move, but he opens up the scouts and landraider on Nyarlathotep again, taking off his second last wound. The marines in the centre ruin take down one of my heavy destroyers :(.

My destroyer doesn't get back up. My phalanx keeps marching north. Lord joins with one of the spiders. Destroyer group continues flanking to the right. Warriors shoot the Drop-pod, taking off it's bolter. The Destroyers wipe out the last of the scouts, while the heavy destroyers drop two from the centre unit. Nyarlathotep charges the landraider, shaking the hell out of it.

KP BotSW-3 Space Marines-0

Turn 3

Terminators still away. The 'raider drives away from the angry god. None of his other units move. The marines in the ruins, drops the last of the wounded heavy destroyer squad. Landraider fire the assault cannon into the C'tan, doing no damage.

My other heavy destroyer fails his WBB :(.
C'tan comes back to my lines, and hides behind a tree. One tomb spider heads up through the woods, while the lord leaves the other squad and drops in beside the ruins. The rest of the destroyers keep shifting to the right. All my destroyers take pot-shots at the raider, stunning it was the best result I got. Warriors shoot the drop pod, succeeding it totally balls-all.

My lord charges his marine squad, killing one and suffering no wounds in return. However, the marines are stoic in their defence and hold strong.

KP BotSW-4 Space Marines-1

Turn 4

The thunderhammer terminators come in, deepstriking off the  drop pods beacon onto the street in front of the woods. The other terminator squad disembarks from the landradier and waltzes over to my poor tomb spider. Ironically enough, the tree my C'tan is standing behind prevents him from being seen by my opponents shooting. Ah the mighty C'tan, forced to hide behind trees.

Well, in any case, the chaplain and lighting claws terminators charge, and kill the spider and his pet before they even realize whats happening. The combat with my lord and his tactical squad results in both units forgetting how to swing their fists and nothing is accomplished.

I take this opportunity now, to bring the C'tan out from behind the woods, to towering over some lighting claw armed terminators. Meanwhile the warriors on the hill, begin to fall back away from any potential thunderhammer terminators. A destroyers units hops onto the hill to rain fire down on Nyarlathotep's intended target and the remaining spider decides my lord needs backup. So, DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA onto the lighting claws squad, from destroyers and warriors into his one terminator squad, killing one. My warriors on the hill, manage to glance the drop pod to death, while the heavy destroyers get a couple of lucky shots and blow up the landraider.

In the assault phase, the lord and spider manage to win combat (barely), but still no resolution. While the C'tan munches on three lighting claw terminators, leaving the chappy and one more.

KP BotSW-5 Space Marines-2
Turn 5

Like last game, I totally misjudge how far his terminators are from me, while his thunderhammer terminators sneak past the c'tan combat right in front of one of my warriors squads, whom they charge. In that combat.

My warriors kill one of his terminators before they can strike, but I loose eight warriors in response. I loose combat by seven, but manage to hold on by rolling snake eyes. The C'tan puts two attacks into the chaplin and two into the last lighting claw terminator, happily devouring both their souls.

The combat with the spider, lord and tactical marines ends up again as a total embarrassment for both sides.

Right, so Nyarlthotep hungers for more terminators, while the destroyers all sweep north to get a bead on his remaining squad. In shooting, I kill a couple of marines. Narlathotep charges the termiantors, killing all but one.

The lone terminator strikes back, shattering the C'tans's epidermis. The explosion kills the last two warriors from that wounded unit, drops two from the other squad and drops one destroyer. Also, ends up killing the last thunder hammer terminator as well.Quite a dramatic ending for my god. Unfortunately, the mood is killed by the walking blunder fest by my lords combat which predictably has both sides too afraid to hurt eachother.

KP BotSW-7 Space Marines-4

Turn 6

This turn, pretty much consists of me shooting his tactical squad a bit, while he shot at my destroyers a bit. In reality, the game was already decided with his force nearly tabled.

End score. 7KP for the Botherhood, 4KP for the space marines.

My thoughts on the game.
   -I didn't enjoy this game as much as other games I've played. It felt way too easy for me, I cannot have fun in a game unless it's a challange. I feel that the C'tan is too much of a "I like to win games" button. I am going to drop it and replace with a VoDRes lord and some more destroyers.
  -I felt my plan worked. keeping both wings of my force together helped give them both a lot more solidity. I had to use a lot of self control to keep the C'tan back, but I feel it helped save the game for me. Pretty much my only defence against the terminators, with my lord being held up in a pointless combat.
  -Is my list cheesy? I feel like it is. I have a desire to play my Daemon Hunters for a bit now to 'wash' the cheesyness off me. Or maybe I am not used to winning like this.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline g00gle5

• Organisers Never Prosper
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Necrons, Dark Eldar
Re: Brotherhood of the Spiraling Worm(Necrons) vs Space Marines (pictures)
« Reply #1 on: December 4, 2009, 06:45:57 AM »
Well, I wish my Necrons performed as well as yours! After playing my Chaos for far too long I've gone back to Necrons and the first time my Deceiver has been fielded in a long time he got dropped on the first turn by 12 Scatter Lasers and a unit of Dark Reapers (I didn't have any trees to hide behind :()

Good report, pretty table and pretty armies. I don't think the C'tan is an 'I win button' at all, it can feel like it against certain armies, though. You're just doing a good job at picking his targets wisely, Land Raiders and Terminators (especially Thundinators) are easily his best targets to get his full worth out of.

If you can take both Grey Knights and Necrons and decide according to opponent which to field.

Battle Reports | Wargaming Articles | Shop

Offline Ragnar Runeblade

• Happy tourist
« Reply #2 on: December 4, 2009, 11:54:46 AM »
Nice report and nice army i like your deceiver. Only one thing is wrong in your report. And it is the last part when your deceiver assaulted terminators that were allready in combat with your warriors from the last turn. He cant chose to attack the deceiver because it is multiple combats (page41BRB) and in this case he has to attack thous warriors only. So your deceiver would live to eat some more SM :-).

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: December 4, 2009, 01:23:56 PM »
Well, I wish my Necrons performed as well as yours! After playing my Chaos for far too long I've gone back to Necrons and the first time my Deceiver has been fielded in a long time he got dropped on the first turn by 12 Scatter Lasers and a unit of Dark Reapers (I didn't have any trees to hide behind :()

Good report, pretty table and pretty armies. I don't think the C'tan is an 'I win button' at all, it can feel like it against certain armies, though. You're just doing a good job at picking his targets wisely, Land Raiders and Terminators (especially Thundinators) are easily his best targets to get his full worth out of.

If you can take both Grey Knights and Necrons and decide according to opponent which to field.

Thanks for reading! yeah, his list may have just been better suited to my C'tan's strengths. he relied on two small elite squads, while the C'tan LOVE to eat small elite squads. I think I need a break from the C'tan and their followers though, and go back to my true love of Daemon Hunters.

Nice report and nice army i like your deceiver. Only one thing is wrong in your report. And it is the last part when your deceiver assaulted terminators that were allready in combat with your warriors from the last turn. He cant chose to attack the deceiver because it is multiple combats (page41BRB) and in this case he has to attack thous warriors only. So your deceiver would live to eat some more SM :-).

I am glad you enjoyed the report.

However, you are incorrect with the multiple combats ruling. Beginning of combat=/=Beginning of assault phase. He can freely choose either target, as they are both in base to base at the beginning of that combat.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #4 on: December 4, 2009, 01:31:11 PM »
Nah Squiddy, beginning of assault is before units even move, so Ragnar was right, he couldn't get hammered.

Nice report, and good too see your Necron army :) Looks nice.

Offline Boss_Bannednutz

• FLAMER: I flame therefore I am banned.
  • "Quantity haz a qwality all'ts own"-Warboss Stalin
« Reply #5 on: December 4, 2009, 02:05:41 PM »
Killer, r u a Minnesota Viking fan, based on the Cron colors?
"Don't Post Dat!  Spam kills!"

If you traveled at the speed of light, there would be no darkness, and thus no need to turn your headlights on in the first place.  I swear, were you asleep in Physics Class?

Offline burgers4me

• Burgers, The Delicious Graduate
    • Story of The Gods (SotG)
« Reply #6 on: December 4, 2009, 02:10:07 PM »
Nice Killersquid!
Good to see your army is playing as well as it is building!
Have you thought of switching the C'tan straight out for a Monolith? With 300 points, you can get a lot of things to play with!
But remember, all armies play well with their strengths! Your army is just in sync enough to put out the pain! Before you write out Necrons for a while, play some armies you know are difficult, maybe Nids?
What, Wait?

Why do I even have this thing...

"There is no such thing as a bad story. Just one that can be improved."

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #7 on: December 4, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »
Nice Battle Report, Killersquid.  I love to see your armies in action on such an asthetically pleasing table.  :)

I think you are interpreting the rules regarding multiple combats correctly, by the way, and that Raktra and Ragnar are wrong on this.  But, I'll leave that debate for the Rules Forum.  ;)

One question I have is from the very first turn.  When your opponent's Dreadnought arrived you didn't mention him firing his Smoke Launchers.  So, my question is, 'Did he?'  If he didn't, why didn't he disembark the Dreadnought behind the Drop Pod, to the side behind the building/ruin, or, better yet, right into the forest?  Any of those locations would have given him a Cover Save and he'd have been plenty close to return fire or even assault from the forest.

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: December 4, 2009, 06:52:42 PM »
Nice Battle Report, Killersquid.  I love to see your armies in action on such an asthetically pleasing table.  :)

One question I have is from the very first turn.  When your opponent's Dreadnought arrived you didn't mention him firing his Smoke Launchers.  So, my question is, 'Did he?'  If he didn't, why didn't he disembark the Dreadnought behind the Drop Pod, to the side behind the building/ruin, or, better yet, right into the forest?  Any of those locations would have given him a Cover Save and he'd have been plenty close to return fire or even assault from the forest.

NewHeretic
Thank you. He shot his multi-melta at my Deceiver, which is why he didn't pop smoke and why he didn't hide behind the pod. I didn't mention it, as it didn't do any damage so I forgot ::).
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria