News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: TMGM (Necrons ) vs IG (New Codex) @ 1700pts (completed)  (Read 5520 times)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
TMGM (Necrons ) vs IG (New Codex) @ 1700pts (completed)
« on: April 22, 2009, 04:52:36 PM »
The Mighty Green Blue Machine vs New Imperial Guard.

I walked into the local and an old buddy happened to be there working on his IG, now that the Codex was available for him to use (Store Copy)... Anyway, he says he has his old 1700pts list and would like to try it with the new Dex and a few minor changes to make it actually legal etc... I tell him that I would love to; but today is the one day I have no Armies in the Car... Dave "The Blackshirt" then allows me to borrow the Stores Necrons (or Nids, or Black Templar) if I wished, so I look over at the case, thinking, wow this should be an easy game for the IG, as the stores Necron army is not really the figures that I would pick to play with... Anyway, never one to miss a Gaming Opportunity, I get permission from SupREME-10 (Commander of Necron Cell 100111) to use the substitute machines and away we go...

Here is what the store had on had (and yes, this is every single Necron in the bloody showcase) And for those that know me.. I like Shooty Necrons and have yet to use the Deciever in 5th Ed (or Wraiths)... so this would prove to be a learning experience for us both... Oh and who the hell uses 30 Warriors anymore, 20 is my normal limit... I need more Tomb Spyders, hate the Mono, hate the Scarabs, am inexperienced with Big-D, the Wraiths, and the D-Lord... as I run a totally differnt set-up... Oh well, Greg will be learning too, so this could be great fun to experiemnt with.

El-Deceivo (300)
D-Lord with Nightmare Shroud, Phase Shifter, and Warscythe (200)
10 Warriors (180)
10 Warriors (180)
10 Warriors (180)
5 Destroyers (250)
2 Wraiths (82)
3 Scarabs (36).. more are shown but their with teh Tomb Spyder, as the store can field 1750..
1 Monolith (235)
1 Tomb Spyder (55)

Totals 1698 pts, 3 SU's, 10 KP's and PO = 9 / 38 with 44 figures.

Here is my Opponents army (no list as I have no freaking clue what most Targets IG are or their points (and I have the Codex, so that tells you how much I like them...Imperialist bastards, every one of them, and their bio-mass on top of that. Yuk.

HQ squad
HQ dude
Demo Spquad
Techpriest
20 man Lasgun team
3 * 10 Man HB teams
Sniper Squad
20 Conscripts
11 Penial dudes
3 * Rockit Launcher teams
2 * Leamon Russ
Landraider

Something close to this, pictures hopefully help you figure them out better....

Those big walker things are actually 2 Leaman Russes, and a Landraider (seriously, the bases show size)

The game is rolled up and its the 2 Objectives with long table edge deployment (not standard as we had a 18" no-mans land to start with)... The machines win 1st turn so here is how they set up (3rd Warrior group in researves)

Tight Phalanxe using the only real terrain I have on hand

Greg then sets up his Imperials. (penal guys in Researves, and they roll for Ass=2 Lasguns)

You can't often fit an Imperial army in one pic.. so as usuall he fills a lot of table up...

Necrons are 3vil, so in story theme, I use the Decievers "Grand Illusion" to redploy, and end up getting to move the Monolith, the Wratihs with D-Lord, the Destroyers, the Tomb Spyder, and the Deciever (in that order).. thus my deployment now looks like this

Tight Phalanxe become a serious Pincer... and Greg almost crapped in his pants right there...

He rolled to steal the Initiative and the dice were not with him, so with a 4 showing, I started the game... Woot.... 3vil Necrons starting well.

Turn 1a
Wbb = N/A
Reserves = N/A
     Monolith teleports Wraiths through with Lord dis-embarking them as far out as possible, and they advance toward the Tanks. Destroyers set up way out of LOS, and target the Rockit Launcher teams on the hill. Deciever hide behind terrain, Scarabs Turbo up to little rock wall,  Tomb Spyder advances on the tanks, and the Warriors stand fast.
     Destroyers shoot the hell out of the Rockit teams, Poof, their gone. Deciever hells boo; but has no effect on the Consripts (derilicks are a GW figure btw). Warriors twiddle their thumbs, Tomb Spyder Runs 1", and thats it for shooting.
     Assault sees the D-Lord and Wraiths hit the tanks, with the Wraiths spreading their attacks on both LR's... Immobilized and stunned one, stunned the ohter, and then the D-Lord puts 3 Penetrating hits onto the landraider to blow it up. Kills a few little guys that were inside (Demo team or something)... Tomb Spyder makes a baby.

Turn 1b
Reserves = N/A
     The Conscripts advance, the Tech Preist and Demo teams jockey into possition, the large infantry unit advances as well, while the rest sits still to shoot.
     Orders, there is a TL to Monstrous Creatures, then a 1st rank, 2nd rank fire, and the Conscripts get told to get down.
     The Snipers and a HB team with Lasgun guys also, fill out the Tomb Spyder and Scarab to cause a wond on the TS, and kill off the baby bugs. The Demo team drills the D-Lord and actually puts a wound on him..
     In Assault the Demo team and some HQ guy jump the D-Lord and quickly learn how hard he can be, as the HQ Dude and some other guy get wasted from the warscythe. They do stick in the fight though, so at least their not as soft as they used to be.

The first turn has the Machines taking a serious advantage with the Imperial Armour pretty well handled... but the big thing was that the table did not give him enough room to avoid the "Fast Teleport" and "Grand Illusion" combination... time will tell if the Imperials can recover...

Turn 2a
WBB = N/A
Reserves = Warrior Squad come in through Monolith....
     Destroyers and Big-D repossitions while advancing, TS advances as well but thats about it.
     Tomb Spyder runs 4" this time, the Deciever does 2" run into cover, Destroyers unload into consripts as do the 2 Warrior squads on my objective... Lots go down, in fact I think that only 3 survived. The newly arrived Warriors rapid Fire into the HB team and kill all but the HB and Vet... all LD's are passed though.
     CC has the D-lord killing off the Leamon Russ that was still incontact with him (exploded) while the Imperials bounce their attacks off his uber tough D-body. Scarabs advanced on a HB team in cover, and tied them up... taking 1 wound; but kiling 2 lasgun dudes.

Turn 2b
Reserves have the Penial guys coming in, on my flank into the Destroyers (woops, that might suck for Destroyers).

The IG jockey a little here and there; but they don't move much aside from the Leamon Russ.
     I Don't remember all the orders; but lets say that there was a hell of a lot of shots from the lasgunner, the snipers were TL vs MC's and the HB team on top of building had something too.. sorry can't remember it all. In shooting The Leaman Russ fails miserable vs the Tomb Spyder (bad dice to hit) and then the Imperials take down 6 Warriors from one "Camper" squad with las teams, HB's, etc... the Penial guys shoot the hell of the Destoryers but fail to get pst their saves. The Tomb Spyder gets its baby bug wasted again... LD's are all made...
     In CC, some HQ guy helps vs the Scarabs and a couple IG go down; but all but one scarab are wasted and it has a woudn on it too. The D-Lord kills off the techpriest. Destoyers kill off a Penial guy; but nothing else.

Turn 3a
WBB = 5/6 warriors get up.
     Big-D advances on big las team... Warriors and Tomb Spyder advance on HB team and Leamon Russ. The Monolith starts moving towards his objective (possible teleport, or contest, or both)...
     In shooting the Mono has its Particle Whip scatter wide. The front line Warriors drill the HB team out of existance, and the Bid-D says "boo" but nothign happens.
     D-Lord takes out a couple more guys... the Scarabs get finished off... the Tomb Spyder pops another baby and goes up vs the Leamon Russ, hits it 3 times and stunns it again... Destroyers and Penial dudes are silly as the destoryers kill one and they break and run, getting mowed down for their efforts....  and the Big-D gets into it with the large Lasgun team and pounds a few into the dust (he is immune to their return attacks; but squashing IG guys is fun)...

More to follow

Actually the game is pretty one sided at this point, as the Necrons continue to simply plaster away at IG guys with near impunity... It does go the 5 turns; as the Mono contests his objective and warrior hold mine... Greg had almost nothing left while the Necrons took minimal casualties... 4 warriors, 2 wraiths, 1 tomb spyder, 3 scarbs... thats it..

Sorry to disapoint and here are the last few pics that I even took.. (last one is the Necron Casualties)

It started out OK, but quickly went in the Necorns favour as the 1st turn was game winning.... and he just never recovered from it... Its the 4th time I saw the new IG being used or faced them, and so far they are 50/50 for wins and losses... at first glance I thought the new dex was a bit uber; but it actually fixed a lot of the IG issues and didn't really give them that much that is Uber uber uber... although there is still plenty I have not seen in use... at least the regular stuff is balanced well enough.

I don't often use the Deciever, Scarabs, Wraiths, D-Lords, or Monoliths... but they certainly can work well enough... I did run at his Tanks but for the most part, I did trya and simply maintain ranged shooting on the IG as I removed targets in priority so that he had less and less each turn to threaten me with.

Sorry to disappoint those tht wanted to hear and see more.. but the game ended pretty fast after turn 3. Greg is a great guy, and don't wish to rub the defeat in his face... Thanks to GW Halifax for the lend of the Army, the use of their tables, and of course... Thanks once again to Greg for being such a great opponent, even though the game was so lopsided.

CaHG
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:31:21 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
  • If all else fails, roll more dice!
Re: TMGM (Necrons ) vs IG (New Codex) @ 1700pts (completed)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 09:50:46 PM »
Nice game.  I wish my LGS had whole armies just laying around to use.   :P

Wait, how do your wraiths DS off the monolith and assault on turn 1?  Sounds like you outgunned his long ranged stuff early.  It will be interesting to see where the guard go as far as optimizing once they've been tested out a bit more.  Some different unit choices might have been far better for your opponent.  (Say an executioner with 5 plasma cannon blasts...)

His 'walker' tanks are awesome, though!  Nice rep.   ;D

Batreps        Ork Models      Painting Blog

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 10:34:47 AM »
The Wraiths did not DS.. They moved through the portal to get close faster (before Mono moved), then they moved as per normal and finally Assaulted... As we started 18" apart, he was hooped after the Grand Illusion re-deploy.

PS... My LGS has 3 Armies for use... Nids, Black Templar, and Necrons... donations from many of us old gamers and staffers over time.

CaHG

Offline Lullysing, Appreciator of the glory of chaos.

• Meet Rager, Close combat robo-monster of doom.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:18:11 PM »
i'm a little disapointed. I was interested in seeing the new guard squads and their shooting performance versus the necrons ( as both teams would dread close combat).  By my estimate 2 squads of pew pew guardmen can take over a single necron squad thru casualties... but it might have been nice to see it.
High powered weapons are so sensorily overwhelming that they are similar to psychoactive drugs. Like LSD, which can convince people they can fly--weapons can make people overconfident. Skewing their tactical judgement.--Ng security
---
Lullysing : yo dude, you there?
[Screwhead] says: yo, just woke up
Lullysing : A car hit my bike, while i was on it.  I don't even have a scratch. Think i should grab a lotto ticket?
[Screwhead] says: Damn! FNP ftw!

Offline Drek

• Wolves
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 02:16:46 PM »
The Wraiths did not DS.. They moved through the portal to get close faster (before Mono moved), then they moved as per normal and finally Assaulted... As we started 18" apart, he was hooped after the Grand Illusion re-deploy.

Er... I thought you were playing pitched battle... if so, thats 24" apart minimum.  Good game for sure for the necrons.

Offline Imperial Dragon

• Overkill is a state of mind.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 11:10:45 AM »
You sure that was a Land Raider?  Cause I'm fairly sure we don't get those.  List sounds hinky anyway.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 11:21:01 AM »
You sure that was a Land Raider?  Cause I'm fairly sure we don't get those.  List sounds hinky anyway.

Unless there was an allied Inquisitor.

Cool report an great pictures moc!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Dartron

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 11:48:08 AM »
And why did he bunch all his tanks together with no screen so that they could all be assaulted?  I think your opponent made some tactical errors that helped you win.  Oh well!

Offline Dunedain

• Distance..out of reach...just a hair's breath away
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 12:08:17 PM »
Nice battle! Those walker tanks looked pretty nice.
We passed upon the stairs. He spoke of was and when. Although i wasn't there, he said i was his friend. which came as a surprise

I spoke into his eyes "I thought you died alone, a long long time ago."

He laughed "Oh no, not me, we never lost control, you're face to face, with the man who sold the world"

Quote from: Warfare;45947
Thank you Captain Politically Correct.
To survive in this world, one must be as mad as a hatter...thankfully, i am

I will kill the pedobears.All of them. Forever

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 09:15:11 PM »
I don't questions Greg's list.. he is a stand up gamer.

Also he ahd a good plan, the simply didn ot expect the "Grand Illusion" as he was well set to slowly work the Phalanxe I had originally...

Thanks for hte comments

CaHG

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
I be honest, I didn't read too closely to it.
All I saw were very...interesting. .. count as/conversions for vehicles.

I like the 'Land Raider'...but it looks more like an Adpetus Mech. mini titan/giant robot or something.
Hell I thought he had defilers or something...and very imaginative use of the rhino pieces.

Damn, tell him cheers should you see him again for me.

One note:

18" no mans land: what a dirty dirty thing.
Now, I know that that may not have been avoide.

BUT, I'd rather have 6" deployment zones.  That 24" buffer zone is so important.
That first turn charge from the monolith would be near impossible.

Both the monolith and the wraiths had to stay still.. so you teleport and say 2" disembark, an extra 3" for the destroyer lord hanging on the 2" zone, with 18" effective charge.

That's 23" MAX, out of 24".
I don't know...that 24" is there for a reason.

Sure if it's Dawn of War go crazy.../shrug.
Pick up game for fun and such is the way to go, true.  But I don't know...something just irks me.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 01:34:49 PM »
Nice match, too bad more of the new toys weren't showcased. The strength of the guard will always be the basic stuff though, and the list seemed pretty competent. Unfortunate for him you could close that gap so early.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 01:39:53 PM »
I hear you Sancty.. but Greg wanted the distance shortened as he said his army was so slow and that he could never hope to get to my objective otherwise... We will come up with a better solution next time.

I hope to see him again this week, so maybe a re-match wil take place.. I will do the same thing though; but insist on 24" no-mans land this time... so what, move the Mono a turn or two (hiding dudes behind it) and then warp them through to assault tanks... The tactic worked for me for years now with wraiths, only having the D-Lord and Deceiver made it work better and easier..

Cheers.

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 06:26:18 PM »
Well...having his LR and 2 leman russ get a shot off is better than not.
I'm sure EVERY IG player would agree, who haven't wept themselves to death after reading this bat rep.  :D

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 01:13:04 PM »
When I told him that I was going to use the "Grand Illusion" he said what the hell is that... after reading it out him... he almost cried; but said something along the lines that the Dice will Decide what happens.

If we had of maintained the larger no-mans land... he would have certainly had a shot with the Landraider and the Leamon Russ that mght have slowed my Monolith (as I would have advanced it for "fast Teleport use on turn 2, keeping the D-Lord and Wraiths well hidden behind it).. The odds of a Mono getting blown up with only possibly three real tanks that could hurt it (thats 6 Lascannons, and a big gun, if they all have LOS and nothing moves)... so 3.5 hits... 1 pen (maybe) and/or 1.5 glances (maybe)... for about a 1/6 chance to actually distroy it (if it actually got the Pen)... 

The lists were not well matched, thats for sure... but thats what happens when you grab a list out of the Showroom box,...

And yes, I got lucky, extremely lucky.... And as mentioned, Greg is always welcome to a rematch... as I fully expect a good beating in return.

CaHG

Offline SMVaughn

• "I am and always shall be your friend." - LN
  • Armies: Space Marines, Dark Angels, Eldar, Chaos Marines
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 01:38:20 PM »
Well it was not TMGM, however... good rep and damn I really need to start looking into some tactica and stuff to put a stomping on you. LOL JK my limited experience has me at instant disadvantage. That is not the issue here though...

Good game to Greg, and nice work making short work of another army moc. I wonder if I will ever see you beaten. LOL

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 01:51:34 PM »
I got a draw last week vs Gutstikk's Necrons (using my Eldar)... and I lost to Dave (the Black Shirt at Local GW) a while back when his SOB's roasted my Eldar... Before that... Sancty (right above us) hammered the living amphetamine parrote out of my Eldar with his SM Bike army... so I do loose, and I admit it...

CaHG

Offline SMVaughn

• "I am and always shall be your friend." - LN
  • Armies: Space Marines, Dark Angels, Eldar, Chaos Marines
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 06:43:03 PM »
I never said you did not... I said I never seen it there is a difference. Also I have yet to chalk a win out of you yet... LOL No worries. I gots time, lots of it... now it is a matter of making time work for me and get more (LOTS MORE) games in.

Cheers

ROFLMAO

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 05:09:56 PM »
Nive batrep moc, as always, and thanks for sharing with us. I wonder if after using the Mighty Blue Machine you will entertain the thought of using new units more often...

But as you said, that 18" No Man's Land combined with Grand Illusion was really a killer though. I expect Greg won't be caught a second time by that trick. :)

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 05:40:48 PM »
Nive batrep moc, as always, and thanks for sharing with us. I wonder if after using the Mighty Blue Machine you will entertain the thought of using new units more often...

But as you said, that 18" No Man's Land combined with Grand Illusion was really a killer though. I expect Greg won't be caught a second time by that trick. :)

Starky

Well actually El-Decievio (counts as Deciever) is almost ready for TMGM, and some of you might have noticed that I am building pariahs as well... so yes... I will be diversifying The Mighty Green Machine... hey its only 1200pts painted at present, 1500pts when Big-D is done, and 1752pts with the 7 Pariah's,....

So it has to grow somehow... unless I choose to paint some of the other stuff laying around (yes it will get done too, as I do have about 4K of Necrons already build, etc)...

CaHG