News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000pts TMGM (Necrons) vs Shrike and Associates (SM's): 5th Ed Demo. Done  (Read 4099 times)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com

This is part of the series for The Mighty Green Machine (TMGM)... and although I am at the 1250pts level in their build/paint.... A time factor kicked in, and my opponent was doing his first 5th Ed game; thus we decided to do more of a demo game at the 1000pts level... This was for fun and learning, as Matt is a long time playing getting into 5th Ed and I don't think that either of us has to "Win" vs the other.... So expect mistakes in tactics, etc.... simply chaulk them up to this being a game to Demo 5th Ed for Matt, and giving him a chance to try out his army with the new SM Codex as well.... PS... I was also trying to get a fairly balanced game.

The Mighty Green Machine. (SupREME-10 aka moc065)
Lord with ResOrb
5 Immortals
10 Warriors
10 Warriors
5 Destoryers
2 Tomb Spyders

1000pts, 2 SU's, 7 KP's, PO = 7/31 with 33 figures.

Shrike and Associates (Matt ~ and the list is from memory, OK)
Shrike
Dread with Ass-can and CCW
10 Tactical Marines, Plasma Cannon and Melta gun
10 Tactical, Heavy Bolter and Rhino (Combat Squads)
10 Assault Marines

~1000pts, 3 SU's, 7 KP's, 33 figures.

The Mighty Green Machine     Shrike and Associates

The mission was Annihilation (Kill Points) with a Spear Head set-up (Table Quarters)... Matt won first turn and decided to take it, he also said that Shrike and the Assault squad would be coming in as standard Reserves from the table edge. Yes we discussed DeepStrike; but he was unsure if Shrike could actually assault after Deepstriking, and thus decided to take the other route (since Shrike would allow his army to have the Fleet of Foot Universal Special Rule, and effectively grant him a 19"-24" assault on the turn Shrike arrived). The Mighty Green Machine simply all set-up as a strung up gang of machines, ready to respond to the SM's as needed (seriously, I did not put any thought into their set-up, aside from keeping everything within Res Orb range).

Set up....
Here are Matt's Space Marines taking full advantage of cover (no need as Necrons will almost always grant SM's their 3+ save)... then a shot of The Mighty Green Machine, and then a side shot showing what the battle field looked like in general.

Turn 1
     I guess Matt was afraid that I might steal the initiative as he certainly could have set up closer to the centre and still enjoyed his 3+ saves from my shooting, etc.... Anyway, I failed to roll a six and Matt was first to play... He advanced his Heavy Bolter team into the forest, and the Dread and other half of the combat team broke to make their way towards the Necron line; while his Rhino did a max mave and pivot in order to build a blocking wall for his infantry on that flank {as shown in first pic}. He then ran the Dread and both halves of the combat team to get them deeper into possition {as shown in second pic}. And his shooting with the Plasma Cannon was decent as it sent 2 Destroyers down.
     I responded with an insane WBB roll to have both Destroyers self repair (gotta love Tomb Spyders and their range extending capabilty). I then moved the entire army forward into a better firing position; but I was careful to not get to close to Matt's table edge, as Shrike and Associates were really the biggest threat in Matt's army. In my shooting, the Immortals and Destroyers combined their efforts to remove 4/5 guys from the Heavy Bolter team; but the H-Bolter guy stood fast (easily passing his LD test) and I was somewhat disappointed as I was hopeing to simply remove the squad completely. I also ran the Tomb Spyders and built and attending Scarab Swarm for each of them. {as shown in third pic}

Score TMGM = 0, SM's = 0

Turn 2
     OK, so Matt was holding his own through the first turn and hopeing to get Shrike and Associates right as soon as possible; but a 2 on the Reserves Dice had them waiting for at least turn 3 (I laughed a little on the inside, as this bought me more time to deal with things like the Dread, since I seriously lacked in ranged anti-tank, and Tomb Spyders are good; but their not great).
     Matt continued to move his Dread, Rhino, and assault combat squad closer to the TMGM, and was still using his Rhino as a mobile "Cover" wall. In shooting he combined the Plasma Cannon and Heavy Bolter to down the same two Destroyers. His combat squad and the Dread managed to get rid of the attending Scarab Swarms, and wound the closer Tomb Spyder.... And somehow he was in range to assault my Tomb Spyder with his Dread, and killed it outright {as shown in first pic}... I was not impressed as normally TS's don't go down that easilily.
     The Tomb Spyder once again bought me an extended WBB range and both Destroyers simply self repaired again. I decided that TMGM did not need to move except for the Tomb Spyder who made a bee line straight for the Dread. In shooting the Immortals killed off the H-Bolter dude, and the Destroyers killed 2/5 of Matt's combat squad (they passed their LD test with ease)... I then poured some rapid Fire into the Dread and managed to remove a weapon (guess which one).. before I assaulted with the Tomb Spyder {as shown in second pic}. In the assault, the Tomb Spyder lost its attending Scarab Swarm and took another wound. I did manage to damage the Dread twice; but poor Damage dice had me shake it both times; at least the TS didn't take any additional wounds for being Fearless and loosing Combat Rezolution {as shown in the third pic}.

Score TMGM = 1, SM's = 1

Turn 3
     Matt wips out his "Holy amphetamine parrote" dice and rolls for Shrike and Associates to come in from Reserves (not really, as we were sharing my dice; but he was happy about it, none the less)...
     Matt had Shrike +10 come in (from the table edge) and go straight for my Warriors in the middle (I never passed the middle of the Battle field so I knew he would not make the Assault; but he still had some options). He then moved the Rhino to continue having it limit my LOS, and the combat squad follwed in behind the Rhino to lend their assistance where ever needed. His shotting went to crap as the Plasma Scattered horribly. He then ran with the Combat Squad and Shrike +10, but failed big time to get the Combat squad into CC with my Warriors (rolled poorly), and as he saw the distance was not in his favour decided to throw Shrike +10 into the CC with the Dread and Tomb Spyder. Close Combat went very well for the SM's as they ripped the Tomb Spyder a new A-hole in super short order; before consolidating to better possitions {as shown in first pic ~ disregard Dread position as Matt was not finished deciding his consol move.}.
     WBB was not an issue; but the loss of my Tomb Spyder would have to be revenged. I moved TMGM into possition to gain maximum shooting on Shrike +10 as they certainly scared the hell out of me and possitioning was critical combined with the order of unit firing to max out my chances. I then gave them a little Rapid Fire action from the Warriors in the ruins, followed by some Staff of Light and Rapid Fire action from the Lord and other Warriors...still Shrike +3 at this point... so the Destroyers kept the shooting going and all that was left was Shrike @ 2 wounds remaining, so the Immortals gave him a blast from their Gauss Blasters and finally finished him off {as shown in second pic}... Yes it took a lot; but I never woud have to deal with that death squad in close combat, in fact I was so happy that I took a little keepsake pic of where the Shrike +10 squad was at the start of the turn, if you listen closely you can still hear their deathcries {as shown in third pic}.

Score TMGM = 3, SM's = 2

Continued next page
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 01:03:27 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: 1000pts TMGM (Necrons) vs Shrike and Associates (SM's): 5th Ed Demo.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 06:35:21 AM »
Turn 4
     Matt was not impressed that Shrike +10 evaporated in one round of shooting, in fact I think his words were along the lines of "well that sucked".
     But he was far from finished, as he decided to actually move his entire army and get as much into Close Combat as possible.. Thus although he forgot to move the Rhino, he rushed TMGM with pretty well everything, even using the FoF allowance to make sure that his Plasma Team got into it with the Destroyers. There was not a whole lot of killing going on though, as I think the only casualties were a couple Necron Warriors vs the Dread, and the squad easily passed its LD test, and a single Immortal {as shown in first pic}.
     WBB had that Immortal self repairing in short order; but the Warriors were lost. TMGM was not going to take to kindly to being assualted though, so they threw the Lord in there with the Dread combat (I figured what the hell, its a Demo game, lets see what happens), and then I actually forgot about the Rhino, and moved the Warriors in a manner that prevented them from shooting at it (and it couldhave been an easy Kill Point, well not easy, but it was a chance at least and I wasted it). In combat things went very very weird. The Destroyers actually killed a SM and took no return wounds {as shown in second pic}, the Immortals remained at full strength but failed to hurt the SM's {as shown in third Pic} and the Dread/Warrior/Lord Combat did absolutely nothing.

Score TMGM = 3, SM's = 2

Turn 5
     Matt was not done, and he said that my luck in CC would not hold out forever. He moved his Rhino to make sure I didn't get a free round of shooting at it, and went on to CC. His Dread then managed to down a single Warrior {as shown in first pic} and his Plasma team dropped 3 Destroyers, who then failed their LD test and got run down for their efforts {as shown in second pic ~ and man I hate Necron Inititive}. The rest was a stalemate.
     TMGM had no success with WBB roles (oh well). And although I did move the Warriros to try and get to the Rhino, or help out with Close Combat later on, or shoot something if it became available, not a lot was happening. In Close Combat nothing died, absolutely nothing, in fact it was the worst rolling I have seen in a long long time.

Score TMGM = 3, SM's = 3

Turn 6
     Matt roled for a 6th Turn and actually fudged it, having to re-roll due to the dice being on edge... he then popped a 2, and the game ended here....

Results = Draw

The Aftermath
     I know that the Lord should never have gone into CC with a Dread, I also know that I should have moved to Rapid Fire the Rhino... The fact is that this was a Demo game, at the time I was ahead in KP's and I seriously did not think that the Destroyers would crumble like that.... Matt played well enough considering it was his first real 5th Ed game, and he was using the New SM codex for the first time as well. I had a great game, as always vs Matt since he is a fun guy to be around, and the dice were rediculous at many points in the game... either all good or all bad, and nothing in between. When I look back I think that maybe it would have been nice to see how gross Shrike + Associates could have been in Close Combat; but then I regain my sanity and realize that they were much better off dyeing in one round of my shooting (at least for the Necrons).

Note that the Comments on WBB were in regard to larger games that might take place in the not so distant future.... they were not relavant in this game; but I wanted to pass info on to Matt for future reference. Sorry to Confuse anyone.

I would once again like to thank Matt for the great game, and GW Halifax for allowing us to use their facility.. A special thanks goes out to Dave (the Black Shirt and one of the best GW managers around, for once again making sure we had a great place to meet, greet, build, paint, and game.

PS... Matt (I know your reading this).. I hope you enjoy the mini rulebook I gave you, and I will replace my SM Codex that I gave away so that you can face my SM's as well in later games. Cheers ~ moc065 

SupREME-10, Necron Lord
The Mighty Green Machine
Necron Cell 100111
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 02:55:28 PM by moc065 »

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
Re: 1000pts TMGM (Necrons) vs Shrike and Associates (SM's): 5th Ed Demo. Done
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 12:38:35 PM »
Cute little game there moc, and glad to see you avoided shrike.  You keep referring to the extended WBB due to the tomb spyders, but I have no idea what you are talking about.  If you lose 2 destroyers in a squad of 5 you still get to roll for WBB.

Offline Shinrathir

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 12:57:13 PM »
Question for you:  You said that on the turn Shrike an company used Deep Strike to enter the field... they immediately assaulted the Tomb Spyder engaged with the Dreadnaught.  I thought only Vanguard could do that with their "heroic intervention" rule.  Can regular Assault Marines do this on account of Shrike having granted them fleet?
If knowledge is power, then to be unknowable is to be unconquerable.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 01:02:33 PM »
WBB is denied to a figure if it is killed by a Power Weapon in Close Combat, or by attacks that are AP=** or by anything that insta-kills the figure... (sort of like FNP; but different)... but Necrons can still WBB regardless of how they are downed if they are within proximity of a Rez Orb.

Now normally a Rez Orb only has a range of 6" to allow WBB on all figures regardless of how they are downed... but a Tomb Spyder actually doubles this range as long as its in proximity to the Rez Orb itself.

Thus carefull possitioning of a Resurection Orb and one or two Tomb Spyders can greatley enhance a Necron armies WBB range throughout.

Its all weapon, etc dependant; but I added it so that people unndersatnd a little of why I use Tomb Spyders... as even Laz, Demolisher Cannons, etc effects can be off-set bu the Necrons with a little pre-planning, etc.

I hope that helps clear it up; and thanks for asking as its not a commonly known attribute.

@ Shinrathir... I said that Shrike +10 came in from the Table edge (check the mission notes, and Turn 3), moved in 12" straight at TMGM, then ran (3" actually), and then assaulted the Tomb Spyder... which is perfectly legal... And your right that Shrike does not grant any unit the ability to Assault after Deepstrike. 

PS... Vanguard and the Ork Character can Assault after Deepstriking; but they are the only ones that I am aware of.

CaHG
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 01:25:49 PM by moc065 »

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 01:12:38 PM »
WBB is denied to a figure if it is killed by a Power Weapon in Close Combat, or by ranged attacks that are AP=** or by anything that insta-kills the figure... (sort of like FNP; but different)... but Necrons can still WBB regardless of how they are downed if they are within proximity of a Rez Orb.

Hmm, maybe you should check WBB.  It is not the same as FnP, as 2 of the 3 items you listed above will not allow WBB, but one of them does.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 01:25:10 PM »
There has been much confusion on the topic of one of the Necron’s most distinguishing abilities, the We’ll Be Back roll.  Much of this confusion can be cleared up with the rule book and a viewing of the latest Errata.  This is going to be a bit exhaustive, so grab a drink.

To start, a Necron model that has another model of the same type within six inches of it will always receive a We’ll Be Back roll.  This roll is a modified version of the Universal Special Rule ‘Feel No Pain’ (page 74 of the fourth edition Warhammer 40,000 core rulebook) so if one lacks their codex they can look up denying factors for the We’ll Be Back roll.

That being covered we shall move onto the only things that deny the We’ll Be Back roll.

“A Necron cannot self-repair if it was destroyed by a close combat weapon that allows no Armor save
 or any weapon whos Strength is twice the Toughness of the Necron concerned.” (page 13 Codex Necrons)

That being said, in the shooting phase there is only one thing that will deny you a We’ll Be Back roll: a weapon whose Strength is twice the model’s Toughness.  This is also called a weapon that inflicts Instant Death.  A common rookie mistake (its happened to me) is to confuse strength with Armor Piercing.  The Armor Piercing value of a weapon has no bearing on denying We’ll Be Back.

In the assault phase there are more numerous ways to remove a Necron’s ability to self repair.  That is why hand to hand combat is so dangerous for this army.  In hand to hand combat the items that specifically deny We’ll Be Back rolls are anything that ignores armor saves.  These include such things as power weapons (swords, fists, etc.), Dreadnought close combat weapons, monstrous creatures, rending attacks that hit on a roll of a six.

Is there an error in this somewhere ? I know that I didn't word it very well above... so I hope that I got it right this time.... BTW, You do still need to have a figure of the same type in proximity (except for a Lord Figure)... and I am sorry if I confused anyone with this added discussion... as it has little relavance on the game itself.

CaHG
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 01:31:37 PM by moc065 »

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 01:32:23 PM »
No error I can see, which is why I'm confused that in your post above you said that ranged AP** weapons do not allow WBB.  Your destroyers were able to roll WBB from the plasma cannon shots because none of the restrictions were met.  The PC shots are not double your toughness and you had destroyers within the required number of inches.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 01:37:03 PM »
I see how its confusing.... some of the notes are for Matt as he will want to fully understand his options for our future games @ larger Pts level... as I might well have squads of Destroyers, and/or Immortals, and he will want to deny WBB whenever posible.

Sorry to confuse others...

CaHG

Offline Shinrathir

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 02:45:50 PM »
Oops... my mistake.  As Shrike has infiltrate, that would be perfectly legal (I was starting to have super-happy Ravenguard thoughts for a moment there...)  Thanks for both the clarification and the great Bat Rep!
If knowledge is power, then to be unknowable is to be unconquerable.

Offline Bonham63

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 03:19:16 PM »
Page 33 and 16 of the BRB shows you can't run and assault. I'm not that familiar with Shrike, so I'm wondering if he has fleet.
Bonham1963,
Death to the False Emperor!!!

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 05:35:18 PM »
/sigh.  Without blatantly stating it.  It was all legal.  Everything with combat tactics in the SM army with Shrike can run and charge...

As to the game, pretty cool.  A draw is always nice for a 'demo' game.
But, IMO, meh to Shrike participating in a 1000 point game...

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 06:42:10 PM »
Ditto for the rules comment... thanks Sanctjud.

Oh and as for Shrike being in a 1000pts game, I think Matt was actually geared for a larger game; but the "Time Factor" kicked in (for me ~ as I had to go to work) so he trimmed his list to get down to a points level that would play faster... we were in and out of the store in about 2 hours; as thats all the time I had... And considering that we did a trade, played a game, discussed a number of rule changes from 4th-5th, old/new SM Codex.. and checked out each others figures etc...  I think that it went pretty well...

CaHG
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:08:38 AM by moc065 »

Offline SMVaughn

• "I am and always shall be your friend." - LN
  • Armies: Space Marines, Dark Angels, Eldar, Chaos Marines
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 08:59:25 AM »
Hey Moc... nice report. I am starting to really have personal misgivings about your 'Crons. They are going to be my personal goal to beat them at least once. Either by phase out, as cheesy as it is, or complete and total beat down.

I just need to really get a good game on with you.

Hehe

Cheers

Offline Lazarisreborn

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
I might be missing this, but nowhere in the necron codex does it mention tomb spyders increasing the range of the rez orb.  Tomb spyders help if you don't have a similar unit type within 6 inches of the downed necron.  It doesn't affect the rez orb at all.  I could be wrong, but...

Lazaris
"If God did not exist, man would have to invent him"