News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000pts Necrons (TMGM) vs Space Marines (Vaughn) [Round 2]  (Read 5217 times)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
1000pts Necrons (TMGM) vs Space Marines (Vaughn) [Round 2]
« on: December 19, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
     OK this game was the re-match for the Vaughn Space Marines vs The Mighty Green Machine. Again it was a bit of a fun game as my opponent Mike is only on his 2nd game for 5th Ed. He lost the first battle we had; but it was close, and we discussed several tactical changes and issues between 4th and 5th, so this one was looking to be a tougher battler for TMGM right from teh get go. Once again Mike also was getting some help from the attendant Blackshirt (Dave, store manager, AKA ~ all around great guy and excellent gamer) and it should be noted that although Dave gave some great suggestions, tips, etc... he did not interfere with Mike making the decisions, nor did he take over the game in any way ~ in short, he helped as needed and was a greatly appreciated by both of us.

Anyway, I brought "The Mighty Green Machine" as it has now progressed to 1000pts built and in the paint stages, (got the Tomb Spyders assembled finally and some paint on them). This list is not really negotable for me at this time; since its what I have painted and I am using it to help me learn to use Necrons better within 5th Ed. I do appreciate comments on how to improve the list (tactically) but I am not really open to unit swaps at this time. Anyway, here is the list.

Necron Lord with Res Orb.
5 Immortals
10 Warriors
10 Warriors
5 Destroyers
2 Tomb Spyders

1000pts, 2 SU's, 7 KP's, with PO = 7/31 and 33 figures.

Mike brought his "Vaughn" Space Marines and the list was something like this. As he wanted to go WYSIWYG and use as many of his Painted figures as he could. It should also be noted that Mike is working feaverishly to get up to 1500pts, but he is actively seeking suggestions on how to improve his lists (1K - 1.5K) and in his collection he already has 10 Termies (can be configured in any manner), 15 more Tactical Marines, 1 Melte-Melta Dread, and a few Characters... He said that will probably be getting another Rhino as well, and he will get access to alternate Predator weapons; so all suggestions would be appreciated. Anyway, here is his WYSIWYG list at 1K.

Captain with Artificer Armour, Jump Pack, and Relic Blade.
Dreadnaught with TL-Las and CC arm/S-Bolter.
10 Tac Marines, ML, Plasma gun, Vet with Power Fist.
5 Tac Marines, Vet with Power Fist, mounted in a Rhino.
5 Scouts, 1 ML and 4 Sniper Rifles.
5 Assault Marines, Vet with Power Fist.
Predator with TL-Las, H-Bolter side Sponsons.

~1000pts, 3 SU's, 8 KP's, and 28 figures. 

In our last gam, we did Annihilation (KP's) with a Pitched Battle (12" edge) deployemnt, so we decided to go for a different game. So we set the Game for a Command and Control (2 MO's) with Spear Head (Quarters)... PS.. We did roll but removed the previos played varients as options. I set up the table, but most of it was jsut teh way we found it on entry to the Halifac GW Store, here is what the Table looked like prior to Figures going down.

Once again Mike won the choice and once again he forced me to go first... I do think this was the right choice for him; as it let him respond to my Set-up, and he had a better idea of what to waste first in my army. His going second also gave him the final round in the game, which could be a major advantage if used correctly. His decission did give me the terrain advantage; but with is 3+ save he was hardly too worried about Cover Saves anyway... Anyway, here is how I set TMGM.

Its a Basic Phalanx with Shock absorber Immortals, Flank Destroyers, and Tomb Spyders working both options.... Please understand that I overheard Mike and Dave discussing the "Camp Out" tactic for his Mission Objective, so I planned on one lesser scoring unit going there, and the rest of his army going in my face.

Mike responded with this Set-up and it was better than his first game attempt; but I stil think he fudges it a little. This time he kept his Scouts out of easy range of my force (smart), so I knew I had a bit more work to do to try and win this game... He did have the 5 pack Tac Squad and Rhino "Camp Out" on the far back Mission Objective as he knew my AT options were limited. But one mistake I saw right out was that he allowed me some options to mass shoot specific units right off the bat....

Oh and for those interested, Mike has started to paint his Scouts to, He did a dry brush of Fenris Grey on the Black, and then built up an Urban/Dessert style of cam on the cloak... So here is a Close-up of their Cloak pattern. Sorry I botched the pic, but there are little dots of Orange and Grey in the Larger Dark Orange splotches and it looks good and in theme with his "Vaughn" style.

Turn 1a
     I knew that his Assault Marines were gross if they got into Clsoe Combat with my Warriors, so the first order of Business was to get them wiped out... I also decided to "Camp Out" on my objective, so you can assume that one squad of Necron Warriors never moves throughout the game.
     OK, I advanced my entire army towards the Vaughn SM's, and then unloaded into his Assault Marines with the Immortals and Destroyers, 25 shots later there are 4 less Assault Marines and the Captain also took 2 wounds, so a lot less for TMGM to worry about. Now if Mike had of placed his Assault Marines over by his Dread, I might have had shots on them with the Immortals; and my Destroyers probably could have bagged his Scouts. But there would have been no way to mass shoot the Assault Marines, and this could have been game altering. Anyway, they did pass their LD test though. So on to Phase two, the Tomb Spyders run, and then in the Assault Phase they each create an attendant Scarab Swarm. It should be noted that I had them set a little to close to my table edge, and this would prove to be a mistake farther down the road.

Here are a couple a pics of the end this round.
     It should be noted that after the game we discussed the Set-up, and I spoke to Mike in regard to the Assault Marines, I don't think that I will ever bag them that easily again....

TMGM as they stood in their new found position.

What was left of the Assault Marines.

Turn 1b
     The Vaughn SM's were not impressed by thos loss of so many Assault Marines; thus they vow to start nuking Necron units by the score. Mike advanced his Assault Marines, the Large Tac Squad, and the Dread. He then shots into the closest Tomb Spyder with the Scouts, the Dread, and the Pred in that order to actually take out the Scarab and then waste the Spyder (well done, BTW)... he continued to shoot and unloaded the Tac Squad into the other Tomb Spyder, and then the Assault Marines (I had lost two wounds on the Swarm at this point; which was lucky, so he was continueing to do things in the right manner)... He then assaulted the Tomb Sypder with Captain and Veteran Assault Marine; but in a fluke the Tomb Spyder survived the Captains onslaught, and killed the Vet before he used the fist.
     Now some will question the advantage of taking out the Tomb Spyders so early; but Mike learned in the last game that they can actually do very very well vs his Armour, and I think he was counting on his Dread actually seeing some Close Combat action. Mike was also working on the premis that he should do anything and everything to remove my WBB options, which in fact is a very smart way to attrition out Necrons.

Sorry I fudged the pic.

Turn 1, TMGM = 1, Vaughn SM's = 1
     Both Generals hold on to their respective Mission Objectives, and although both sides take some pounding, the game is fairly close at this point and could go either way still.

Turn 2a
     WBB was not an required.
     OK, the Immortals and Destroyers adjust their positions a little but I didn't get great dice for difficult terrain, and the building had fewer 1st floor windows than I would have liked. The more forward Warriors and Immortals shoot into the Large Tac Squad and waste 3 of them (LD test Passed), which is a little below par; but as expected.... The Destroyers take out 4 Scouts with their shooting (Ld test Passed), and this daunted me, as Scout LD is not that great so I was hopeing to just get rid of the whole unit...Well, its on with Close Combat... The Tomb Spyder lives on to slay the Captain and consolidate a little... But I actually messed this part up a bit (hindsight) as I was undecided as to go for the Pred or try and head off the Dread.

Pic of the Necron front line, notice the Tomb Spyder as I should have goen directly towards the Dread.

Here is what was left of Mikes larger Tactical Squad (and for game purposes the river gave 5+ Cover Save as it was shallow water).

Turn 2b
     Mike has his Vaughn SM's Tacital Squad and Dread continue their advance on the Necron front line. The Scout then takes out an Immortal with his single shoot, the Pred gets a couple more Immortals (4+ cover did nothing BTW); and Mike was watchin how I removed from the Front to remove his Assault potential, so he was once again carefull in his order of shoting prgression and carried on correctly double tapping into the Immortals with the Tac Squad and "PoP, Zip, WoW", the whole squad is down... (ooch). Again he did his shooting in the right order to maximize his options (thanks in part to Dave the Blackshirt); but that is how you remove the Necrons option for WBB, and its the right way to play vs them, so well done. Anyway, his Dread still has options, so he blasts the Tomb Spyder, it takes a Laz wound, but I use wound allocation to nuke the Scarbs Swarm (and being Feerless is a good thing at times).
Here is shot of "The Front Line" without said Immortals.

Turn 2, TMG = 1, Vaughn SM's = 1
     The Mighty Green Machine was feeling good that the Assault Marines were gone; but I took a big hit with the loss of the Immortals...So the game was still very close, and I was actually feeoing that those Space Marines were a little too close for comfort.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 02:02:14 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: 1000pts Necrons (TMGM) vs Space Marines (Vaughn) [Round 2]
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 07:07:21 PM »
Turn 3a
     Wbb is not required.
     TMGM has to do some manouvering with the Destroyers to get Side Armour on the Pred (being carefull not to encrotch within 1" of the lone Scout, while the Tomb Spyder Goes for the Pred (now this move was just stupid on my part, as I should have been getting between the SM's and my Front Line ~~ Doh). In shooting the Warriors and Lord take the Tactical squad down to 4 remaining; but they once again pass their LD test (I am starting to hate the SM Veteran LD that comes with the squads now), and that Dread is looking just a little too close for comfort. The Drestroyers shoot the Pred and get a shocking 4 rolls for Damage, 2 Glance and 2 Pens... In the end I shake it, bake it, and stick a fork in it, as it becomes a wreck. Woot.
     After the game we discussed having the Pred sit in Cover to gain the Cover Save, so I doubt that Mike will loose the Pred as easily next time. But it was pretty lucky for me to roll out 4 "6's" out of a mere 12 hits to start with.

Here is shot of the battle filed, note the wasted Tomb Spyder in the trees.

Here is a pic of "The Front Line" and I really should have stayed back a bit, but I was hoping to waste the SM's with my Rapid Fire action.

Turn 3b
     The Vaughn SM's are geared to get their revenge as Mike does a quick consoltation with Dave the Blackshirt (I think he was working out how to assault in the right order to guarentee maximum success; but in the end, getting both units within an inche pretty well sealed the fate of the Necrons). So forward come the Dread and Tac Marines, he shoots with both units as they are within an inch and then before he assaults, he pops a pistol shot from the Scout into the Destroyers (I forgot about that one guy, and was regretting it already). On to the Assault, in goes the Dread, I pile in (if he did the Tac Marines first, I could have moved to force his Dread to roll for DT, and you never know ~~ I was carefull to make sure that my Lord was not an option for BtB action though, so he would not get targeted outright)... Anyway, the Tac Marines follow suit, and then the Scout jumps my Destroyers (this guy obvously had a large set of nuts ~~ but its a tactics that can work, so kudo's to Mike for tryin it ~ and now I know what you and Dave were discussing). In assault things go crazy, the Necron Lord bags a Space Marine; but after Mikes attacks, there are a lot less Necron Warriors to fight back; the Warriors do almost nothing before the PF Vet gets his turn to rain on their parade, and then the cowardly Necron Warriors fail their LD test (at -3 BTW), and break --- Oh and then they get chased down and wiped out for their efforts. Mike then consolidates towards my other Warriors and TMGM knows that if the Tomb Spyder can't stop that Dread, their done for. Wait, that Veteran Scout also hits and wounds my Destroyers, the Destroyer does save though, and luckily their 5 attacks managed one wound which the Vet Scout failed (lucky for the Necrons)...

Note the Dread is actually on the bottom floor of the ruin, its just hard to put there.

Turn 3, TMGM = 1, Vaughn SM's = 1
     Both Generals are happy to hold their respective Mission Objectives; but I am very scared of that Dread as its about 10-11" from my squad, and it could be a game winner if I can't bag all of Mikes Scoring Tac Marines...

Turn 4a
     Wbb not required.
     Tomb Spyder rushes back to intercept, while Destroyers line up to shoot the Tac Marines or Rhino (whatever I decide as that last assault messed up my mind a little). As time is running out to go for the Win, I have to hope for some lucky dice for me, and some crap dice for Mikes DT test... In shooting the Destroyers do their job and waste those last 3 Tac Marines in the open; so I am feeling a little better... And the Tomb Spyder and Scarab Swarm run to try and block, but I don't think I rolled well enough as a craptastic 2 appears.

Here is a pic Tomb Spyder rushing in to intercept.

Turn 4b
     The Vaughn SM's roll poorly for the Dread so I get a longer lease on life with the Warriors (lucky dice for Necrons, not for the SM's as a 6 could have had the Dread assaulting once again ~~ snake eyes didn't help Mike at all). He shoots the Tomb Spyder and wastes the Scarab Swarm again.

PS, he did try and assault the Tomb Spyder in this Pic; but rolled poorly again.

Turn 4, TMGM = 1, Vaughn SM's = 1
     So the game is close; but I am feeling pretty good that the Dread didn't get a free rush at my Warriors. Mike still has his Rhino protecting that Tac Squad, so I also have my work cut out to try and get a Win... I think both of us were thinking that a Draw was enividable at this point.

Turn 5a
     WBB is not requried.
     The Destroyers can't get close enough to eventually assault and/or contest, so they move and hope for another turn (OK, I mentally lost track of what turn we were on ~~ the Close Combats really messed with mymind ~~ so I was actually thinking it was turn 4 not 5). The Tomb Spyder sets up for an Assault, the Warriors blast into the Dread and manage to Shake it (wow)... The Destroyers then "Explode" the Rhino with shooting; but no SM's die as they emergency dis-embark (and Hide just in case). The Tomb Spyder then goes in for the kill, OK she popped a new Scarab first, which got pasted; but the Tomb Spyder did her job and removed all of the Dreads Weapons.

Here is what a "Armless" dread looks like BTW
And here is an Exploded Rhino with Tac Marines taking Cover.

Turn 5b
     With very little left in the way of "Winning" options Mike decides to simply shoot my Destroyers hoping for the best. He downs one with his 24" bolter fire (but its not enough to cause a LD test), Mike then goes for the Close Combat where the Dread Explosion finishes off my Tomb Spyder... which kinda sucked as she was up for the MVP award for the game.

Destroyers consoling their downed comrad.

Turn 5, TMGM = 1, Vaughn SM's = 1
     For the first time, The Mighty Green Machine has a serious chance of actually winning the game. But if the game ended right here it woudl be a Draw, so we decide that Mike should roll for the next turn as he has the most to lose. He rolls out a 6, and we carry on... Too bad for him, as I had serious chances to break his Tac Squad now that they were out of the Can.

Turn 6a
     Wbb, finally I get to roll a singel dice for WBB, and the Destroyer self repairs.. Woot. Tactical note, Mike prevented my 31 Necrons from getting all but a single WBB roll, no small feet, so very very well done on his part.
     I have very little left to do besides try for the Win. So I line up the Destroyers to Contest the Objective and unload into the Tac Marines just for fun... 3 die but they pass their LD test once again (Man I hate LD=9). I really should have Assaulted the SM's at this point; but I would have had to go into DT to do so; and the game was so close throughout, that I figured I would leave that option up to my opponent.

Talk about a "Conga Line."

Turn 6b
     The Vaughn Marines waste no time advancing, shooting with Pistols and then going straight into Close Combat. As most of you can predict, the Destroyers lost combat without hurting the Tac Marines; but they managed to pass their LD test (-2), to continue to contest the mission objective.

Here is the scene just before the figures were removed (as Power Fists don't allow WBB for casualties in Close Combat). 

Mike was once again in possition to get the game back to a Draw or Loose, so he rolled for another turn... but alas, a 2 was not enough and the game ended here. With the Vaughn Space Marine mission objective still contested and "The Mighty Green Machine" mission objective held by the Necron Warriors, as in the pictures above and below respectively.

Turn 6, TMGM = 1, Vaughn SM's = 0: Victory for The Mighty Green Machine !

Unit Recap

• Necron Lord: Well, I tried to use the ResOrb to help with WBB; but me crafty opponent actually figured out some great methods to deny it for most of the game (I only ever got 1 WBB role for a single Destroyer), so very well done for my opponent. The Lord did help out with one round of shooting, and the Close Combat he was involved in; but even his added shots and attacks were too little to save that unit of Warriors.
  • Necron Immortals: Thier first rounds of shooting did their job; but even with Cover Saves they were no match for mass firepower, they did do their job as their low cost was worth while to draw attention off of other units.
  • Necron Warriors: They Scored, and although the one unit was near rubish, without the scoring unit I would of Phased Out, I do have to work on making themmore productive prior to their extinction though.
  • Necron Destroyers: Absolute Rock stars of the game. They dropped a Pred, a Rhino, most of the Scouts, some Assault Marines, and Tac Marines as well as actually surviving 2 seperate Close Combat actions (luckily vs lesser numbered foes).
  • Tomb Spyders: They absorbed firepower as intended, and the second TS's close Combat action probably won me the game. If my opponent had of got that Dread into my Necron Warriors, I think the game would have ended a lot sooner as I would have probably Phased Out.

• Captain: Absolute CC machine, with the Relic Blade being as effective as a Power Fist and hitting earlier.
    • Dread: Good shooter, and also a Close Combat machine vs the Necrons, probably one of the best units in teh Vaughn force for this game.
    • Tactical Marines: Solid shooting, versatile, resilient... and they did their job throughout the game.
    • Scouts: Initial shooting was decent, the poor performance in CC was only due to lack of numbers; and with a little better possitioning they could have been even better game wise.
    • Rhino: Blew up on the first round of incoming fire, and actually did nothing the whole game, even its Storm Bolter was craptastic.. I would keep it though as its so cheap that even drawing fire for that one round did pay for itself.
    • Assault Marines: Due to poor possitioning to start with, they took a lot of shooting right in the face and paid for it.
    • Predator: Vs Necrons this thing is sick, as long as it has decent LOS and is protected. Its lack of Cover cost it harshly, and better possitioning could have been game altering...

Overall, this was an even closer game than our first one. Mike's learning curve has gone way up, and I truely feel that with a couple small adjustments to set-up, or tactics, or even a dice roll; that the Vaughn Space Marines would have seen victory over The Mighty Green Machine.... I look forward to out next game (in the New Year & hopefully at 1250pts)... and I would like to thank Mike once again for the game... I would also like to thank GW Halifax for letting us use their great gaming table, and expecially Dave the Blackshirt for his assitance, tips, etc....

CaHG
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 08:44:41 AM by moc065 »

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 11:20:41 AM »
Thanks for the write-up, Moc.  Great pictures and a fun battle to read about.

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline Lullysing, Appreciator of the glory of chaos.

• Meet Rager, Close combat robo-monster of doom.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 03:33:12 PM »
Good writeup.

Honestly I would highly suggest telling your friend to go nuts for troops : more tac guys, put more bodies on the ground. Also, dropping jetpack guys via deep strike might have worked better for him.

For the life of me however, i don't understand why the guy didn't stuff the ten man squad into the rhino and just zoom for the objective ( with classic 12 and pop smoke tactics).  Sitting the rhino in the corner like that makes my mech general heart cry : he put baby in the corner!

High powered weapons are so sensorily overwhelming that they are similar to psychoactive drugs. Like LSD, which can convince people they can fly--weapons can make people overconfident. Skewing their tactical judgement.--Ng security
---
Lullysing : yo dude, you there?
[Screwhead] says: yo, just woke up
Lullysing : A car hit my bike, while i was on it.  I don't even have a scratch. Think i should grab a lotto ticket?
[Screwhead] says: Damn! FNP ftw!

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 07:47:30 AM »
Like a mentioned in the BatRep, Mike was only having his second 5th Ed game, so his tactics are still progressing.

In regard to the DS on Assault Marines, I think his concern was the amount of Difficult Terrain that he could "scatter" into and they can't assault after they drop, (as he does roll 1's on a regular basis), which would allow me 2 turns to focus on other units prior to the Assault Marines even showing up...

In regard to the 5+Rhino camping out, I had very little anti-tank, if he had of plastered the Destroyers instead of the Immortals, his Rhino would have held for a Draw at Least, with a good chance to remove my scoring units... He was playing a little defensively while going for the Phase Out; and if you consider that his Dread could have broken my Warriors had it been able to assault (one bad dice roll doomed him), he would have wiped me out with a PO.... Seriously, it was a close game, with his poor dice on that one turn, and my Tomb Spyder saving my arse.

CaHG

Offline Lullysing, Appreciator of the glory of chaos.

• Meet Rager, Close combat robo-monster of doom.
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 01:20:36 PM »
Plenty of cover to drop behind a building and run post landing into cover. plus, the new mishap tables is more forgiving now for bad scatters.

oh well. he'll learn.
High powered weapons are so sensorily overwhelming that they are similar to psychoactive drugs. Like LSD, which can convince people they can fly--weapons can make people overconfident. Skewing their tactical judgement.--Ng security
---
Lullysing : yo dude, you there?
[Screwhead] says: yo, just woke up
Lullysing : A car hit my bike, while i was on it.  I don't even have a scratch. Think i should grab a lotto ticket?
[Screwhead] says: Damn! FNP ftw!

Offline SMVaughn

• "I am and always shall be your friend." - LN
  • Armies: Space Marines, Dark Angels, Eldar, Chaos Marines
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 07:14:44 PM »
Ok now that I am online here...LOL

For future I now have 30 Tac marines, 10 assault termies. I will be viewing a lot of the codex in strategy and tactics for my beloved marines and I will be going to the army list forum shortly. Then Round three...third time is a charm, I hope to either PO or completely stomp some necrons. Or at least that is going to be the attempt.

Lessons have been learned from both games, and I pray they stick....

Chatch you all around.

Cheers.

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 11:33:11 PM »
Welcome to 40K online SMVaughn.  Looks like a fun and close game.  I'm just curious as to how the 5 man tact squad emergency disembarked from an exploded rhino.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 03:16:57 PM »
Ok now that I am online here...LOL

For future I now have 30 Tac marines, 10 assault termies. I will be viewing a lot of the codex in strategy and tactics for my beloved marines and I will be going to the army list forum shortly. Then Round three...third time is a charm, I hope to either PO or completely stomp some necrons. Or at least that is going to be the attempt.

Lessons have been learned from both games, and I pray they stick....

Chatch you all around.

Cheers.

Welcome to 40Konline there SMVaughn... and I think we should plan our next game for the 1250pt level so that we can keep lots of stuff painted....

CaHG

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 05:30:10 PM »
You are learning SMVaughn.  That was really great how you denied him his wwb rolls.  I need to do that more often.  As for your next army, I'd definately fill out all of your five man squads. 

Now, if you really want a challege, ask moc to bring his saim-hann.  :)

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 11:05:23 AM »
Thanks for the props there GoofyCommy, but SMVaughn and I are doing a project... he learns SM's in 5th and gets a fuly painted army; while I work on Necrons in 5th and get a fully painted army as well.

When we both have more completed and he gets a few games with other guys, I will gladly let him face my Saim-Hann; but for now they are on the shelf as I get the Full Council all assembled and painted... (all custom Jetbikes with crazy conversions and decent paint)...

Besides, its fun to diversify, and I am actually enjoying my Necrons too.

PS.. Biggest lesson for SMVaugh to still learn is how to do his Set-Up to minimalize losses and maximize potential... he got it better this time; but there are still little things to improve.
  • Make sure that nasties can bag one unit to easily (ever).
  • Give your vehicle cover if you can, even if the enemy AT is weak.
  • And always take advantage of your opponents weaknesses (which he did when he removed my WBB options for 99%) of the game.

CaHG

Offline Arkion

« Reply #11 on: January 4, 2009, 04:44:42 AM »
Awesome report.  You have some fantastic terrain to work with.

Both your armies are looking sleek.  Really digging the dread's paint scheme and the tomb spyders.

Regarding the game, Mike's doing great.  My last ten games against 'crons have all been losses or draws, though I have yet to play them in 5th.

Though one thing I'm unclear on: I thought Destroyers were T5?  Wouldn't they get a WBB save from a S8 fist? 

(I'm secretly hoping you say no, because it means I've been playing with a handicap...but uh, it's a secret).

Offline Illumini

« Reply #12 on: January 4, 2009, 08:27:50 AM »
Great report, very nice-looking armies you have.

It's great to have a much more experienced opponent to fight in the beginning, the learningcurve increases drastically
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him - Voltare

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #13 on: January 4, 2009, 05:32:18 PM »
All power weapons negate WBB while in Close Combat... unless there is a Res Orb in proximity... so toughness is not everything... Although the T=5 does make them very solid vs shooting and not too much negates their WBB for shooting either

CaHG

Offline YuenglingDragon

• Lazerous Penguin
  • I'm a beer dragon!
« Reply #14 on: January 4, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
Damn, ninja'd on the WBB!

Vaughn, I'd like for you to post your current list and planned lists in the Marines forum so we can tear them apart.

Right off the top of my head:
Artificer armor is too expensive for 1000 points.

Lascannon on a dreadnought is almost as expensive as another Rhino.  Never worth it.

I can kind of see the reasoning behind giving the Rhino to the small squad but I think you fudged the implementation.  Probably the better plan would have been to combat squad the 10 man unit and leave the missile launcher behind.  The other half of the squad can either move forward relentlessly or take up a shooting position and fire away with the plasma gun.  Then send up the Rhino with the Assault squad taking cover behind it. 

Dig?
Proposition beslubber wins by a landslide!  I'm the 2008 Space Marine poster of the year.

Don't listen to the drunk dragon...

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #15 on: January 5, 2009, 06:32:03 AM »
All good suggestions there Youngling Dragon, especially telling him to post his lists and get them shreadded and fixed up prior to our next game (1250pts I think)... He did try running smaller squads towards me in the past with about the same success, as Necrons can rip through 5 Marines with ease... Also, his Dread is configed the way it is, as it was a 4th Ed build... as was the rest of the army originally, and then we just modifies what we could (and still keep it WYSIWYG) for 5th... I do believe that SMVaughn is doing up more Snipers, Assault Marines, Tactical Marines, an AOBR Dread, and a crap load of Terminators... so he should soon have planty of other options (he also has some other HQ figures)... so with your guys help, I should soon be in deeper amphetamine parrote when facing him, although he was soclose to pasting me in that game (dread CC would have phased me out).. that I shudder already.

CaHG

Offline SMVaughn

« Reply #16 on: January 5, 2009, 08:13:42 AM »
OK here is what I have available, model wise

> 5 Scouts - 4 with sniper rifles, one with Missle Launcher
> 2 Dreadnaughts - One with option for Assault Canon, and missle Launcher, one Assault on Black Reach so Melta, and Close combat
> 10 Assault Terminators - 5 Thunderhammers and Stormshield, 5 Lightning claw
> 30 Tac Marines - One squad with plasma gun and Missle Launcher, One squad with Missle Launcher and flamer, and One with all bolters, I also have two vets for one squad to lesson cost one has a power sword vice power fist and one is set with power fist so choices there
> Rhino
> Predator with twin linked Las, and heavy bolter side sponsons, with las sponsons coming shortly for an option
> I have a few choices for a HQ ... One with Jump pack, one with out and I could make another with termie armor if need be the one with out has a Melta gun too =D
> 5 Assault Marines with Jump packs

That is available models off the top of my head. I am sparingly playing with what gear I do and dont have and trying multiple options. I will post actual armies in the army lists forum as I make them, they are still under heavey scrutinizing as my dishing out beatings have been greatly influenced by my unending curse of rolling 1's when I least need them.

I will be plugging at the lists and post them very very soon.

Thanks and Cheers all.

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #17 on: January 5, 2009, 09:02:43 AM »
Hey, welcome to 40KO.

I'm envious, you get to play against moc065 in person.

Anyway, you have quite a collection.

There are a few things that scream out to me:

10 Assault terminators, wow.
30 Tacs are good.
Dreads are good too.

Scouts and Assault marines need to be beefed up to be used IMO.

If you are feeling adventurous you can use the Deathwing rules with so many Terminators you have.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline SMVaughn

« Reply #18 on: January 5, 2009, 09:33:51 AM »
Hmmm Deathwing rules? I will have to look those up....sounds ... painfully interesting for me to use against him...LOL

Mind you....he probably already has a means to obliterate my Termies with the amount of ones I roll anyway. =*(

Moc has been telling me for sometime to beef up the scouts and assult squads. Too few makes for fast demise. Of which I am learing quickly...

However... $60 Can, on the additions is hard after christmas with car maintanence to be done and such... =( Although I might have to be a bad boy and splurge... HEHE....

So if those scream out to you,
" There are a few things that scream out to me:

10 Assault terminators, wow.
30 Tacs are good.
Dreads are good too." what would you do?

Cheers.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #19 on: January 5, 2009, 10:25:48 AM »
30 tactical dudes is about 600pts, add the 2 Dreads (105-125 each) and an HQ (cheap is good in this case -- 150ish, maybe in T-Armour) Then you add 400pts of Termies.... so very little esle (maye a Rhino or a Pred) and your at 1500pts (easy) and playable as well as viable....

Then you bring the assault marines and snipers back in as you get them beefed up, later on... No Rush.. I will be hard pressed to smoke 10 Termies, regardless of your rolling 1's... due to the 30+ other guys still advancing on me.

CaHG