News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Guide to using Necrons in 5th Ed  (Read 30663 times)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Necron Deployment.
« Reply #20 on: December 9, 2008, 08:42:07 AM »
reserved
« Last Edit: December 9, 2008, 08:45:25 AM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Getting Started with a Battle Box
« Reply #21 on: December 9, 2008, 08:42:22 AM »
     OK, I started this army as I thought to myself, "what could be simplier and cheaper than starting an Eldar army ?" The answer was obvious, "EVERYTHING"... but right away the Necrons stared at me, with their "Beatie Little Machine Eyes", as the Necron Battle Box looked like a very decent way to get most of a functioning army with very little cost. The box came with 28 Warriors (the only Necron Troops choice), 3 Destroyers, and enough Scarabs to build 7-10 Swarm Bases (depending on how many I put them on a base)... So with no upgrades/alterations it was about 800pts; and a single Lord figure would have me running 1K lists with ease.

So there I sat at work checking out the internet when I stumble (Kijiji) across a local guy trying to flog a Necron Battle Bos (NOS) for 1/2 the cost....I emailed the guy and made the purchase within the hour, then I whipped by my Local GW and grabbed a Necron Lord figure (Well I guess you could build one from a Warrior; but why when the figures is actually decent).
     On my way home from work that day, my mind raced as I was totally distracted on getting the little machines working ASAP (OK, I wasn't that excited - I did own 3 other armies of 3-10K each already, but I was mildly distracted at least). A few days later, I still hadn't even opened the Necron Battle Box yet, because I was busy doing research on list ideas, tactica, conversion ideas, etc.... I did some thinking and realized something, WOW, I spent very little ca$h and I could actually build a FOC legal 1K army. Thus when I opened the box I got another wonderful surprise. Yes, Necrons are wickedly easy to mix-match parts, convert, etc... And always the frugal one, I decided that I would have to do up a few "test" lists so that I didn't build anything I didn't need. Off to the dollar store I went to load up on Blue-tac. Anyway, while they wer going together, I came up with this list idea. It should be noted that I only used 2-3 Scarabs per base so that I would actually have 10 bases instead of the 7 you would get if you use 4 Scarabs per base.

1K list varient #1

HQ
(200) Lord: ROVOD
Troops
(252) 14 Necron Warriors
(252) 14 Necron Warriors
Fast Attack
(150) 3 Necron Destroyers
(80) 5 Scarab Swarms: DF's 
(60) 5 Scarab Swarms  (Note: that for a 2nd game I use 9 DF Scarabs in 1 Squad as well)

994 total, 2 Scoring Units, PO= 8/32 with 42 figures.

OK, so I actually throw the remants of all this together (mostly dis-assemble-able still due to "Blue Tac") and go Play test it. Well things went bad (for both of the games I had), and lets just say that I suffered my first Necron Defeats. However, I did learn a few lessons, things like:
  • Don't seperate simular "Necron" units.
  • 5 stock Scarab Swarms are near useless (at least in my game).
  • Scarabs can turn into speed enhancers for the enemy instead of Speed bumps if you don't use them with some tactics.
  • That in general I prefer to use "Necron" units over "non-Necron" units.
  • Most importantly though, (probably due to lack of diversity) I learned that Necrons actually should be played with some very sound tactica as they are not a "No Brainer" army.
1K list varient #2 (Battle Box only)

HQ
(200) Lord: ROVOD (made from one of the Warriors ~ trick him out a little)
Troops
(234) 13 Necron Warriors
(252) 14 Necron Warriors
Fast Attack
(150) 3 Necron Destroyers

996 total, 2 Scoring Units, PO= 8/31 with 41 figures.

Now in later games (with the list above varient #1) things went better for me as I actually employed some Tactics... So here are the basics of what I learned tactically speaking (for 5th Ed).

Tactica
  • The Lord was critical for keeping the Warriors alive, so keep him close to the units... Thus I found a Phalanxe style using the 2 Warrior Units and Lord as the core does work... You can use the VOD to drop in on enemies; but most guys come to you anyway... so save the VOD for if you get caught in CC, then you can VOD out of there to regain shooting..
  • The Scarabs do work to slow enemy Vehciles (and mass Glanced will stop them eventually); but luckily for me, I don't see a lot of vehicles at 1K... However.. the Scarabs using Turbo to build a better save is awesome and having the two units swapping places to always have on in front of the Phalanxe Core of the army, really does work to prevent Assaults and to give the Core a cover save... So keep them close enough to use this..
  • The Destoryers are excellent ranged shooters, so use them at a distance to remove high threat units as early as possible.. don't get over aggressive with them, use their shooting and one the last turn, they are great to contest an objective if needs be...
  • You have limited unit options at this level, so you really do have to experiement with eachand develop tactics that work for you... In 5th the CC can be sick, so I have found that avoiding CC is paramount to success; but if you will get assaulted very shortly, then there are time to actually take the offensive (denying the enemyhis Furious Charge, etc)...

PS... I know the title said Getting Started with a Battle Box; but I guess you could add that one Lord Figure, if your not good at tricking out one Warrior, or you just want to save them all as Warriors.

SupREME-10
Necron Cell 100111
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 06:14:03 PM by moc065 »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Building an army in Playable Blocks.
« Reply #22 on: December 9, 2008, 08:42:34 AM »
This space is tended by The Mighty Green Machine; Necron cell 100111.
All comments and complaints should be directed to his High Lord; SupREME-10. Any disputes will be dealt with swiftly (by execution). SupREME-10 reserves the right to be correct in all situations

SupREME-10's Tale:

I used "The Mighty Green Machine a fair bit near the end of 4th Edition, as it was a great way to playtest my other armies etc... unfortunately I only ever painted 1 figure in the army and that was just as a Paint Scheme trial... So now in 5th (when Necrons are much tougher to play well) I intend to paint up a serious crap load of my Necrons (2K out of the 4-5K I own) and get some games with them too. Here is Link to the original tale of "The Mighty Green Machine" through its 4th ED growth and usage.

Each Necron Cell has its own distinct origin and functions; but I wanted to illustrate how one might be set up, etc... so here it goes.

The Mighty Green Machine

Here lies the annals of Necron Cell 100111

Chain of Command

CellFOCCast  Title
1001110111111  El-Deceivio (Deceiver)
1001110111110   Dealer of Death (Nightbringer)
1001110101010   SupREME-10 (Necron Lord)
1001110101011   SupRINM-11 (Necron Destroyer Lord)
1001110010000   Necron Flayed Ones
1001110010100   Necron Immortals
1001110010101   Pariah
1001110001001   Necron Warriors
1001110011101   Necron Destroyers
1001110011111   Necron Wraiths
1001110011000   Scarab Swarms
1001110100110   Necron Heavy Destroyers
1001110100111   Monolith
1001110100100   Tomb Spyder

SupREME-10
Necrontyr Lord
Necron Cell 100111

Here is my concept for actually painting the first 2K of "The Mighty Green Machine.

Oct-Nov +500pts (Actually done in Oct 2008)
(140) Necron Lord with Res Orb. Full Review.
(180) 10 Necron Warriors.
(180) 10 Necron Warriors. Full  Review.
Total = 500pts

Here is a Link to show how the squad was painted.

from to  to

This first block was a no-brainer, as its one of the few legal builds to actually get Necrons up and running at 500pts, it took me about 10 hours total over multiple seesions, which is not to bad considering the results... Next month I will do Destroyers, and try and get some 500pts Games to maybe add a link or two for BatReps as well.

Dec +250 (actually done in Nov 2008)
(250) 5 Destroyers. Full Review.
Total = 750pts

Here is a Link to show how the Squad was built and painted.

from to  to to

OK, the second Block was another No-Brainer, as I love the Destoryer figures and one full squad was a perfect fit to keep them playable, and to give them some Pure Mobile Firepower. Besides, I already had them half built.

Jan +250 (being done ahead of schedule Dec 2008)
(140) 5 Immortals Full Review
(110) 2 Tomb Spyders. Full Review
Total = 1000pts

I had to build the Tomb Spiders so the first week was dedicated to their convertion and assembly... I had the Immortals done but here is how the paint progressed for this month.

Here is a Link to the show how the units were painted, etc.l

from to to to

Feb +250 (being done ahead of schedule in Jan 2009)
(195) 3 Heavy Destroyers Full Review
(55) 1 Tomb Syder (goes with the first 2)
Total = 1250pts.

Once again I had to build a Tomb Spyder; but at least I had 3 heavy Destroyers that I got second hand, so I only had to strip and prime those.

Here is a Link as to how the work progressed for this block.

from

Here is the army as it has progressed.

500pts  750pts 
1000pts  1000pts

Here are the next blocks of the army (to be done in no particular order)

+ 250
(250) 5 Destroyers

+245
(180) 10 Warriors
(65) 1 Heavy Destroyer (splits them into 2 units of 2 each)

+ 252
(112) 4 Immortals (giving me 9)
(130) 2 Heavy Destroyers (going with the ohters and making 2 squads of 3 each)
(10) Warscythe for the Lord... (which will give me one conversion to look forward to)

Total = 1997pts

I want a low toys, plenty of boys style army, so I figured just add more of the stuff I like.  Thats the plan so far, if I can go faster, I will; but its all dependant on painting time (build time for Immortals and Tomb Spyders)... But I do wish to do a decent job, so I will not be rushing it. I will also be attempting to do a few odds and ends as I go along (like a Monolith, or some Wraiths) but they will be more in the after thought catagory... so when and if I can.

Here is a link to the army pictures as a whole... Updated (26 Feb 2010)

BatReps:
1800pts Necrons vs Eldar June 2008 (4th Ed)
1800pts Necrons vs Eldar July 2008 (4th Ed)
-500pts of TMGM vs Nids. Link removed due to Vassal issues.
1000pts of TMGM vs SM's 10 Dec 2008
1000pts of TMGM vs SM's 19 Dec 2008
1500pts of TMGM vs Orkz 29 Jan 2009
1000pts of TMGM vs Shirke SM's 17 Feb 2009
1700pts of TMGM vs New IG 22 Apr 2009
1700pts of TMGM vs Space Wolves 31 Aug 2010
1750pts of TMGM vs IG 28 Sep 2010
2000pts of TMGM vs Space Wolves 7 Oct 2010
1700pts of TMGM vs Orks 15 Oct 2010

Anyway, as mentioned; that is the plan for now... as at least I have 90% of the figures already amd a lot of the conversions are done too..

Cheers and Happy Gaming, and the best of luck to all.

SupREME-10
Necrontyr Lord
Necron Cell 100111
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:38:46 AM by moc065 »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Well Be Back
« Reply #23 on: December 9, 2008, 08:42:46 AM »
We’ll Be Back
Tactical discussion and notes.

There has always been a lot of confusion on the topic of one of the Necron’s most distinguishing abilities, the “We’ll Be Back” roll (WBB).  A lot of this confusion can be cleared up with the rule book, codex, and a simple read of the latest FAQ. But for those that are still confused, here is a breakdown for you… and I will apologize right now for the length of this discussion.
     First off, any “Necron” figure that has another figure of the same unit type within proximity of it will always receive a WBB roll if it goes down in battle.  This roll is a modified version of the Universal Special Rule ‘Feel No Pain’ (Fifth Edition Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook). Now with that in mind, there are some things that will deny the WBB roll.

“A Necron cannot self-repair if it was destroyed by a close combat weapon that allows no Armour save or any weapon who’s Strength is twice the Toughness of the Necron concerned.” (page 13 Codex Necrons)

Thus, in the Shooting Phase there is only one thing that will deny you a WBB roll: a weapon who’s Strength is twice the model’s Toughness.  This is also refered to as an Insta-Kill weapon or a weapon that inflicts Instant Death.  Many people confuse this (Yes, its happened to me too) with the Armour Piercing value of the weapon. But, the Armour Piercing value of a weapon actually has no bearing WBB.
     In the Assault Phase there are a few more ways to deny a Necron’s ability to self repair (WBB).  And this is why hand to hand combat is so dangerous for Necrons.  In close combat the items that specifically deny WBB are “anything that ignores armour saves”.  This includes such things as power weapons (swords, fists, etc.), Dreadnought close combat weapons, Monstrous Creatures, Rending attacks that Wound on a roll of a “6”.

Assuming that the Necron figure in question has a figure of the same unit type within proximity; but is struck down by an enemy weapon that denies WBB, what options does the Necron have at this point ?  Well if you check the Necron Codex, you will find that the Resurrection Orb (ResOrb) is a Necon’s best line of defence against Phase Out as it will allow a WBB roll to be taken even if a Necron was killed in a manner which normally denies WBB. The only requirement to gain this effect from the Res Orb is that the Necron unit must have at least one figure within proximity of the Necron Lord with the Res Orb. So this means that you may take causalities from any part of the squad and still allow them to make a WBB roll.   
     If the entire squad is taken out in a single round of shooting or close combat then they must rely on their comrades for a chance to WBB.  Because if there is no figure of the same unit type within proximity when casualties are incurred, then the unit is denied its WBB option. But the Necrons also have a way to increase the range of this proximity, as the mighty Tomb Spyder actually doubles the range of both the Res Orb, and the requirement to have a figure of the same unit type within proximity. When a squad is completely wiped out in a single Shooting or Assault Phase the Tomb Spyder can allow the squad to WBB as long as certain conditions are met.

Necrons and loosing CC = bad news for Necrons... and here is why. The Close Combat takes place as per normal (read above rules).. and some Necrons will obviously get put down.. but if you happen to loose Close Combat, then your taking a LD test at - whatever you lost by.. and this can hurt alot... Warriors can take a lot; but they do not put out much in CC, so even loosing by 2-3 figures will have them LD testing at LD=7-8 or maybe even less. And then they have to run away, now they get hammered again, as their Inititative is too low to compete with most armies out there... but this is not the worst of it... NOOOO
     The Rules for Sweeping Adcance (thats when the enemy runs you over) state clearly that all figures caught in a Sweeping advance are removed immediately; so they are gone, they do not get a chance to WBB, even if there is a Res-Orb in range, etc.. Their gone.... Thus you must (as a Necron player) do eveything you can to avoid your True Necrons getting assaulted and loosing Combat Resolution. This is were things like a Tomb Spyder (which is fearless) can hold the enemy in CC so that he can't run you down in a Sweeping Advance,... or if you do live through the first round, having a decent assault unit on hand to help the little machines out in CC and push the odds back into the Necron favour.

More to follow
« Last Edit: April 2, 2009, 02:58:53 PM by moc065 »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
The Machines in Battle
« Reply #24 on: December 9, 2008, 08:42:59 AM »
The Machines in Battle

Many will say that Necrons died out in 5th Edition 40K; but here is proof that the Machines are merely lurking and at a moments notice they can rise again to vanguish their foe. (click on any title to go directly to that Battle report).

1000pts or less
1000pts TMGM vs Space Marines; by moc065 Dec 2008
1000pts TMGM vs Space Marines (rematch); by moc065 Dec 2008
1000pts TMGM vs Shrike + SM's; by moc065 Feb 2009
1000pts Necrons vs Space Marine Drop Pods; by Ragnar Runeblade Nov 2009

1500pts in about
1500pts TMGM vs Orkz; by moc065 Jan 2009
1500pts BoTSW vs Thousand Sons; by Killersquid Jan 2010
1500pts BoTSW vs Necrons, Eldar, Daemons (3 games); by Killersquid Dec 2009
1500pts BoTSW vs Space Marines, Eldar (2 games); by Killersquid Nov 2009
1500pts BoTSW vs Orks, and 1000pts BoTSW vs SM's (2 games); by Killersquid Nov 2009

1750pts in about
1750pts Necrons vs Eldar; by phumpeti Dec 2009

1850pts Necrons vs Crimson fists; by cadians:) Nov 2009
1850pts Necrons vs SM's, IG (2 games); by cadians:) Nov 2009

2000pts or more
2000pts Necrons vs Marines 2k; by Sovereign Prime Feb 2010

3000pts BoTSW+Necrons vs CSM's + Wolves; by Killersquid Nov 2009

I made these links without permission from the Ops of those threads; so please let me know if you want them removed. And if you find other Necron battles that you would like included.. then by all means let me know, and I will modify the list to include them too.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:06:43 PM by moc065 »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Tutorial on changing Warriors into Immortals.
« Reply #25 on: December 9, 2008, 08:48:23 AM »
I saw a thread a long time ago about turning Necron Warrirors into Immortals in an effort to get decent Immortal figures for a serious reduction in cost.

Since I had a Battle Box and 8 extra (Crome) Warrirors that I picked up super cheap I decide to take on the Challange and see if I was up to the Conversion task as it was obviously going to take multiple sessions and numerous parts, bits, and Green Stuff to do well. Anyway, here is a bit of a run down on what I did, and my results.

Turning a Warrior (or two) into an Immortal:

OK, to start with you need two Gauss Flayers to build a Gauss blaster; so that means that half of the Warriors used will end up being turned into “Without Weapons Warriors” (a good use for these may be to convert them to Flayed Ones, Pariahs, etc but more on that later), as they can just go into the Bitz box for later projects. You can get 6 Necron Immortals out of one box of 12 Necron Warriors.

You start by cutting the two flayers to look like on the picture. The lower flayer has no arm, and is cut flat (or smoothed out) on its top section. The first flayer is made to have only one arm attached so the underside of the weapon needs to have the hand removed very carefully as you will need this later on. The 2nd flayer is simpler, cut off the hand to make it smooth and remove the Weapon Handle and arm. Another important thing is that you need to remove the green rod mount very carefully, as you will need it later and it is a small part so it can be damaged easily!     

At this point, you simply glue the two Flayers together (Flayer 1 on top, and Flayer 2 on the bottom) to form and Over-Under style weapon, as shown in the picture.     
Next you will need to glue the “Green rod mount” piece onto the top section of the new Under-Over weapon.     

OK, the next step is to take the extension part from the upper flayer, remove the hand section (carefully) and turn it in the opposite direction; then glue it over the Green rod mount. Next up is to remove the blade from the upper flayer’s extension part, and add the Gauss focus to the extension itself. Cut off one of the petals from the Gauss Focuser that is pointing forwards from both Flayer barrels so that the two pieces can be glued seamlessly.     
Finally; Glue the pieces in place, and if you like to, you can cut the off the extra blade section and drill a small hole in the blade to make it look more like the actual Immortal’s Weapons.     

You may wish to Green Stuff any cracks, and add some Green Stuff to specific sections of the Immortal (Spine, Shoulder Pads, Calves, Thighs, etc) But Plastic Tubing and Guitar String can work well to help you out here as well.     
I also seperated all of the leg joints and "pinned" them into a more upright stance to make them taller, which also meant that a little work had to be done to raise the head (neck extension) so that it fit appropriately as well. Added very thin Plastic Card to the Shoulder Armour and bulked it up with Green Stuff, added a Spine Extension I made from Plastic tubin with File marks etdhed into it, and tied the Gauss Blaster and Spine together with a bit of Guitar String. I also added a bit of Green Stuff and a piece of the original Gauss Flayer cabling to his head to make that look bulkier as well.  In the end, he is definately taller and bulkier than your standard Necron Warrior, and I feel that he can definately pass for a Necron Immortal. Here are some final pics that show you a figure that is part way through the convertion (as did take multiple sessions and about 3hrs per figure) and one that is actually ready for Primer and Paint.     

Here is what they look like with Primer. (disregard the little blade that broke off, I fixed that easily enough).           

I do hope that helps in some way; and here is what they look like after a full paint job.

SupREME-10
Necrontyr Lord
Necron Cell 100111
« Last Edit: July 6, 2010, 12:53:32 PM by moc065 »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: 5th Ed "For those starting Necrons"
« Reply #26 on: February 2, 2009, 10:55:37 AM »
Reserved for a tutorial

CaHG

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:51:53 AM by moc065 »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #27 on: February 4, 2009, 10:48:38 AM »
Reserved for a Tutorial.

CaHG
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:53:15 AM by moc065 »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 04:22:59 PM »
OK so there it is to start with... SupREME-10's guide to Necrons in 5th Ed... I know that there is plenty more, so feel free to PM me with ideas you want added or simply put your comments, critiques and/or suggestions right here.

Thanks and I hope this helps somebody out.

SupREME-10
Necron Cell 100111
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:34:07 AM by moc065 »