News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Turning Necron Warriors into Immortals  (Read 16498 times)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Turning Necron Warriors into Immortals
« on: November 13, 2007, 09:55:50 AM »
I saw a thread not to long ago about turning Necron Warrirors into Immortals in an effort to get the figures for a serious reduction in cost.

Since I had a Battle Box and 8 extra (Crome) Warrirors that I picked up super cheap I decide to take on the Challange and see if I was up to the Conversion task as it was obviously going to take multiple sessions and numerous parts, bits, and Green Stuff to do well. Anyway, here is a bit of a run down on what I did, and my results.

Turning a Warrior (or two) to an Immortal:

OK, to start with you need two gauss flayers to build a Gauss blaster; so that means that half of the Warriors used will end up being turned into “Without Weapons Warriors” (a good use for these may be to convert them to Flayed Ones, Pariahs, or Wraiths), or they can just go into the Bitz box for later projects. You will gain 6 Immortals out of one box of Necron Warriors.

You start by cutting the two flayers to look like on the picture below. The lower flayer has no arm, and is cut flat (or smoothed out) on its top section. The first flayer is made to have only one arm attached so the underside of the weapon needs to have the hand removed very carefully as you will need this later on. The 2nd flayer is simpler, cut off the hand to make it smooth and remove the Weapon Handle and arm. Another important thing is that you need to remove the green rod mount very carefully, as you will need it later and it is a small part so it can be damaged easily!

At this point, you simply glue the two Flayers together (Flayer 1 on top, and Flayer 2 on the bottom) to form and Over-Under style weapon, as shown in the picture below.

Next you will need to glue the “Green rod mount” piece onto the top section of the new Under-Over weapon. 

OK, the next step is to take the extension part from the upper flayer, remove the hand section (carefully) and turn it in the opposite direction; then glue it over the Green rod mount. Next up is to remove the blade from the upper flayer’s extension part, and add the Gauss focus to the extension itself. Cut off one of the petals from the Gauss Focuser that is pointing forwards from both Flayer barrels so that the two pieces can be glued seamlessly.

Finally; Glue the pieces in place, and if you like to, you can cut the off the extra blade section and drill a small hole in the blade to make it look more like the actual Immortal’s Weapons.

You may wish to Green Stuff any cracks, and add some Green Stuff to specific sections of the Immortal (Spine, Shoulder Pads, Calves, Thighs, etc) But Plastic Tubing and Guitar String can work well to help you out here as well.

I also seperated all of the leg joints and "pinned" them into a more upright stance to make them taller, which also meant that a little work had to be done to raise the head (neck extension) so that it fit appropriately as well. Added very thin Plastic Card to the Shoulder Armour and bulked it up with Green Stuff, added a Spine Extension I made from Plastic tubin with File marks etdhed into it, and tied the Gauss Blaster and Spine together with a bit of Guitar String. I also added a bit of Green Stuff and a piece of the original Gauss Flayer cabling to his head to make that look bulkier as well.  In the end, he is definately taller and bulkier than your standard Necron Warrior, and I feel that he can definately pass for a Necron Immortal. Here are some final pics that show you a figure that is part way through the convertion (as did take multiple sessions and about 3hrs per figure) and one that is actually ready for Primer and Paint.

Let me know what you think and I hope this helps somebody out.

Cheers and Happy Gaming
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
Re: Turning Necron Warriors into Immortals
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:32:36 PM »
Fantastic job, this is the best iteration of the Immortals-from-Warriors that I've seen.  The eye piece looks a bit globby, but you've probably trimmed it since photographing it.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 03:13:03 AM »
That's a very good tutorial. I like it. Let's you save a lot of money. ;D

Will you paint those minis? I'd like to see how they turn out once they are painted.
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Miniman

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 06:06:05 AM »
THAT IS AWESOME

Thats is really gonna save some people money when they want Immortals in their armys!

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 06:18:52 AM »
Thats is really gonna save some people money when they want Immortals in their armys ...

... and you could convert the unused warrior into a Flayed One. It shouldn't be too difficult.
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 07:17:50 AM »
Thanks for the comments.

As soon as I have 1K built for the army, I will go to paint.... So I will post a pic here when they are done (maybe some pictures of the different stages)

I think that I will actually be building a variety of things with the left over warrior bodies... Wraiths for sure, maybe some Pariahs and Flayed Ones as well.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline phisicsbof

• Blood Runs Anger Rises Death wakes War Calls!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 11:37:46 AM »
They look great.

"the stars themselves once lived and died at our cammand, and yet you still dare oppose our will"
My craftworlds story(Update 2)
Create your own Craft world