News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Orange you glad I didn't say Iyanden  (Read 11198 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Orange's Iyanden
« Reply #20 on: October 4, 2017, 08:20:50 AM »
So awesome. I just love these models to death. My issue with the current Aspect Warriors (Avengers + Scorpions) is how bulky they are. I love how slimmed down their armor was in the old sculpts. Love it.

Just killer glowing paint jobs all round. The execution, color choices, transfers, bases the whole 9 yards is just awesome. Can't wait to see whats next. Keep rocking Orange
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Orange

« Reply #21 on: October 5, 2017, 03:59:26 AM »
Thanks guys!

Took me a while to remember my rhyming slang Saim-dann but I got it in the end :)

And cheers Cavalier. I got some of the new dragons and the scorpion exarch (need a guy with a claw) second hand and man they're huge. It'll work a bit with the exarch, but it's a massive difference.

Working on my reapers at the moment and need a bit of advice.

I'm using one of the 127 schemes, the one on the left:

But then I saw these and loved how vibrant and old school they look.

I don't know I want to go this far with the red, but I liked the red on the launcher and the legs.

But I tried it and I don't know. Kind of reminds me of a toy gun with a red tip. The one on the left sticks to the 127 scheme and the right is a bit brighter.

Too much red? Not enough? Please let me know what you think.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #22 on: October 5, 2017, 05:38:55 AM »
G'day Orange!
Don't ask Cavalier. He'll say red no matter what... Bwahaha!
I'd stick with the black and even go black on the armor as well. Yellow and black mean, "DANGEROUS". Yellow and blue means friendly but reliable.

If you want your opponent to be lulled into a false sense of security, go the yellow/blue. If you want them to look bad ass, go the yellow/black. Very neat job on them so far, mate. They even look good in white... Pointy ears forever!!   

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #23 on: October 5, 2017, 08:16:06 AM »
LOVE IT! And yep you guessed it Saim-Dann... I say go red! If you are gonna kick it old school you gotta go red. I feel like it does give a bit more distinction to a dark scheme. Plust the red isn't too bright (love the blending), so it doesnt look cartoony at all to me. But both look sickening IMO.

Wow. Loving this project Orange keep it up my man. I love these old minis. Bring on the Dragons... they too are fantastic looking!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #24 on: October 8, 2017, 04:46:04 PM »
I found that having the entire helmet in red was just too much for a "Dark" reaper lol. I kept the helmet the same as the body armour (black or dark blue) and then just used the alternate colour on the "ears" and a few other spots made it less glaring.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #25 on: October 8, 2017, 05:03:46 PM »
I absolutely love your Scorpions! Big kudos for using the old sculpts too, I'm really not a fan of the new ones.

Personally I really like the red on the Dark Reaper. The Games Workshop one is too bright and there is too much of it, it's almost like a secondary colour rather than a spot colour. Using it darker and just for the Legs and weapon makes it much more complimentary to the overall colour scheme.
As Cav has mentioned as well, I love the blending on the weapon!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Orange

« Reply #26 on: October 8, 2017, 09:17:50 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input.

I decided to go with the red, you were the only anti-red one Saim-dann! I get what you mean about yellow and black, though a fair chunk of my army is going to be friendly yellow and blue ;)

Pretty happy with how they turned out. A couple more touches of red helped without being overwhelming I think. That was the main feedback so I appreciate it.

Might just try and get the exarch done now. I've only got the shuriken cannon one at the moment, though I'm going to try and track down the web of skulls one, as it's such a great model.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #27 on: October 8, 2017, 09:59:25 PM »
Really great work Orange. You're absolutely correct with adding those few extra touches of red to tie everything together. I really admire your bases and your transfer technique. Keep these vintage minis coming!
« Last Edit: October 9, 2017, 09:13:18 AM by dog_of_war »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #28 on: October 9, 2017, 03:59:59 AM »
Those are looking awesome Orange! I wasn't too sure about the red on the original iteration; I think it just stood out a bit too much. With the addition of other elements of red, though, it really pulls the piece together and works amazingly well.

Might just try and get the exarch done now. I've only got the shuriken cannon one at the moment, though I'm going to try and track down the web of skulls one, as it's such a great model.

I literally unearthed a box with 2 of those Web Of Skulls Exarchs in yesterday. I'll happily send you one if you PM me your details.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #29 on: October 9, 2017, 04:08:30 AM »
G'day Orange!
Went with the friendly/reliable look? You made it look good, mate. Totally agree with you about the exarch. The chained skulls guy is a badass model... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #30 on: October 9, 2017, 07:55:04 AM »
Wow. Looking soooo damn good man. You should submit these to the White Dwarf FLICKR account. I'm sure they'd be included. Looking insanely good my man. These minis still got it!

Again love the color choices. The bone colored head is the thing that makes it all work IMO. Its a sort of new school color choice that brings balance to the whole thing. The blending is insane and again, I love the basing.

To top it all off Dark Reapers are super good this edition. Field them with pride.

Now... just give us MOAR!

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #31 on: October 9, 2017, 01:07:18 PM »
Outstanding painting on those Dark Reapers.  The Rogue Trader sculpts remain the best Dark Reapers sculpts in my opinion and you've really captured their midnight blue armour so well with your painting. 
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #32 on: October 9, 2017, 07:30:58 PM »
These are looking stunning dude :) definitely think that you made the right colour choice with the Reapers. Really nice dark moody colours with just enough contrast.
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 09:05:16 AM »
I can only agree. These guys look menacing. Still, I can't say I wouldn't want to face them, because who wouldn't want to play against such beautifully painted miniatures?
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Orange

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 10:23:48 AM »
Thank you all, you are very kind. Such great feedback is spurring me on :)

And have taken you up on that exarch Loosh, thanks again for your very generous offer. I'm hoping people will be happy with his web of skulls counts-as missile launcher!

Did extremely well at my club's trading night tonight. I few people knew I was after vintage Eldar, and they delivered in spades.

The biggest coup were those fire dragons--I just got some of the new ones (and will use the exarch in the short term), but they're so much bigger than everyone else and look a little silly. Getting 4 of the originals (though they'll need a bit of work) is great. Filled out my avengers and scorpions to squads of 10, and got a good deal on some banshees.

Wasn't too keen on the old metal wraithlord (or Eldar dreadnought as we knew them back then) but after seeing this one I changed my mind. Has the two flamer arms too, which was a bonus.

Got a bit of work ahead of me, and I'm nowhere near a legal army! Need to do more wraith people or I'm going to be accused of being Biel-tan soon too...

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 10:30:34 AM »
yes, those old wraithlords have a certain goofyness to them, that disappears as you get to know the model a bit more. Then they suddenly start looking awesome. Can't wait to see what you do with all these, Biel-Tanner!  ;)
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 11:19:20 AM »
Nice haul!

Also, I'm filing a motion that you change the name of your plog to 'Orange you glad I didn't say Iyanden' ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 09:45:05 PM »
G'day Orange!
Nice haul there mate. You must have a good crew where you game. If I let my mob know I was hunting a particular model/era, The price would triple in cash or trade... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2017, 03:40:28 AM »
That's a great haul Orange! Your gaming group must be an awesome bunch. I can't wait to see how your throwback army shapes up!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2017, 04:16:37 PM »
Amazing stuff Orange.  It all really inspires me.  :)