News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Painting Tau  (Read 901 times)

Offline Archaon

• Headshot, double kill, makes a man go *whistle* :D
Painting Tau
« on: July 31, 2008, 09:57:17 AM »
I want to paint my tau the tau sept colours (brown/yellow) but to get the shadow in the cracks of armour etc I needed to undercoat them black. then the yellow didn't go on properly and they ended up looking quite mottled even though I put on a few coats. Aslo if you use too mnay coat you clog up the details and stuff so they look quite bad... Can anyone help me here?
[This sig contains whatever you imagine it to contain]

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
Re: Painting Tau
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 10:17:31 AM »
you don't mix the paint with enough water. the paint itself has to be clean fluid. When you paint you only have to take a lil bit and do several layers...thin layers obviously. don't go thinking that because you put more paint on the surface you will have to paint less layers.
This really one of the big reasons why painting warhammer is so challenging, you need tons of patience.

Now be sure you mix it with enough water and paint with thin layers and you shouldn't have any problems...I think you you prob do both of these things wrong, if you say that details start looking bad...

How do you do the shadows? with ink or washes?
any of these won't leave much paint on the surface you only need a tiny amount to have good shadows.
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline The Oncoming Storm

• Which end of my bolter do i point at the enemy?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 01:03:33 PM »
i'd recomend giving the GW Washes a go, devlan mud mixed with some gryphonne sepia should do you well, or if u fancy a more weathered look just straight devlan mud

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 01:07:11 PM »
If you use several layers of thin paint (just enough paint to wet the brush) you will do better than if you use more paint.  Try it and you will see for yourself!

For the Greater Good!
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline Archaon

• Headshot, double kill, makes a man go *whistle* :D
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 01:49:52 PM »
What colour should I undercoat them if I want them to look like the GW painted ones?
[This sig contains whatever you imagine it to contain]

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #5 on: August 1, 2008, 07:54:50 AM »
what yellow are you using?

Offline The Oncoming Storm

• Which end of my bolter do i point at the enemy?
« Reply #6 on: August 1, 2008, 08:04:17 AM »
if you have the foundation paints, i'd try Tausept Ochre, name says it all tbh

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #7 on: August 1, 2008, 08:09:33 AM »
yes, or if you want more yellow rather than the "standard T'au" colour scheme then you can go with the iyanden yellow. they make great base coats over your black undercoat spray.

(you shouldnt have an issue with doing the cloth in say, scorched brown)