News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Killing hordes...  (Read 2614 times)

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
Killing hordes...
« on: December 4, 2017, 05:55:18 PM »
Blasts are gone, so are templates. Flamers are not as effective since they are so variable. So what Eldar units work best now versus hordes....what are your experiences in 8th, of ridding yourself of gaunts, Orks etc?😀

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Re: Killing hordes...
« Reply #1 on: December 4, 2017, 07:30:35 PM »
Against Orks; Dire Avengers & Striking Scorpions,
against gaunts; Swooping Hawks & Storm Guardians(with flamers).

None of these options are super effective, but they are probably the best.

Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #2 on: December 4, 2017, 07:49:15 PM »
Tons of Shurikens are basically how you have to handle it against Orkz, I think. Striking Scorpions are probably good against them, since they are tough but have bad armor.

I've used Dire Avengers against Gaunts and they weren't so bad. I wonder if a Fire Prism in Dispersed mode might also be a good choice, especially since they have Grinding Advance now. It won't match up to the template weapons of old, but it's still a lot of shots.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Gildaheir

« Reply #3 on: December 4, 2017, 08:11:07 PM »
Shining Spears (see the other thread) have a surprising quantity of shuriken fire and can dive into melee vs hordes. Shadow spectres from FW are a great option, but I'm not sure if the 10 pt increase from CA dooms them. 20x guardians in a webway portal can hit hard, especially with the black guardians stratagem. Warwalkers decked out with shuriken cannons aren't bad. Maybe not optimal points, though. Wraithlords with 2x shuriken cannons and 2x flamers can be mean for a budget price, and orks especially have a hard time killing em back. Hordes are definitely not our strong suit, but we're not toast the second we run into one.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: December 4, 2017, 09:52:15 PM »
Hordes are a right pain for a number of armies, but really are problematic for CWE as we don't get stuff with 30+ long range shots, like imperial armies.

WW scatlasers are useful against hordes, solid number of shots at good strength and mostly outside of return fire range.

Mass shuriken sort of works, its just more useful in all comer lists than scatlasers.

Offline The Mattler

• Armies: Eldar
« Reply #5 on: December 4, 2017, 10:02:02 PM »
Swooping Hawks, Guardian Defenders (Webway Strike), and Dire Avengers are all good choices.  Storm Guardians are alright, but only for the Flamers in tiny squads, and they need a transport.  Windriders (especially Saim-Hann with Scatterlasers) and Shining Spears can work too, but they're not as efficient except when the Spears can shoot with their Laser Lances and charge. 

The most efficient horde killer in the Codex by far is the Dark Reaper Exarch w/Tempest Launcher.  If you just run a bunch of minimal squads, the Exarchs will shred the hordes while the other 2 Reapers per squad shoot at tougher targets.  You have to hide them, but the Tempest Launcher doesn't need LOS.
Shuriken weaponry is the pinnacle of antiSpocklizardry in 40k.

Offline Sieq

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: December 4, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »
Wouldn't howling banshees be a decent pick against IG or gaunts? Really fast models suffering no overwatch with lots of attacks with power swords. Wounding on 4+ or 5+ against T4, but they worked rather well for me while fighting IG.

Overall the following models come to mind when I think "anti-horde": Guardian Defenders, Dire Avengers, Swooping Hawks, Howling Banshees, Striking Scorpions, wraithlords, dark reapers(tempest launcher), and maybe warp spiders? Warp spiders would be better against orks, but I do not know many people who run them even in that case. They're not bad, but perhaps a bit pricey.

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #7 on: December 5, 2017, 08:46:22 AM »
Thanks guys, I was thinking scatbikes and maybe war walkers with scatter lasers or shuriken cannons.
I used a couple of wraithlords, but even with flamers, they were very unpredictable. What made things even worse was having to hit Carnifexes on 5's because my opponent had some nasty add-on and I was moving. He was hitting on 4's.....gah!
Someone at head office really didn't like us in 7th ed...😁

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #8 on: December 5, 2017, 09:46:03 AM »
Of all units listed in the thread, one that I wouldn't recommend using is War Walkers. Just not cost efficient-enough.

Per my number-crunching, our top three horde killers in terms of points invested per wound inflicted are:

1. Guardian Defenders
2. Shining Spears
3. Banshees & Scorpions
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #9 on: December 5, 2017, 12:52:53 PM »
Hi SeekingOne, I don't own any guardians, Shining Spears, Scorps or Banshees. :-[

But I do have bikes and walkers! :)
Otherwise, I totally agree with you mate.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #10 on: December 5, 2017, 02:06:06 PM »
Hi SeekingOne, I don't own any guardians, Shining Spears, Scorps or Banshees. :-[
Me neither, lol. My first set of Shining spears is still waiting for assembly :)

But I do have bikes and walkers! :)
Me too  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I can fully recommend fielding bikes with scatter lasers under Saim-Hann attribute, they are fantastic. While they are not as deadly on paper as Guardians for instance, the fact that they can pound the enemy infantry turn after turn while staying out of reach of most small arms fire, more than makes up for it.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: December 5, 2017, 03:50:15 PM »
Simply anything that can throw out a lot of hits (ranged or melee) can deal with hordes.

-Avengers and Guardians are the cheapest.

-Shining Spears in squads of five put out quite a lot of damage.

-Depending on your usual opponents Swooping Hawks put out A TON of fire good for T3 opponents. Throw a power sword on the Exarch and they can assault to clean up a few models.

-I'd like to throw Warp Spiders in the list as well. They put out a decent enough volume to help with T4 horde units. They can also assault OK in a pinch if you need to clean up some left over models.

-Windriders with the basic twin-shuriken catapults can be good if used aggressively (if you lack Guardians/Avengers). They cost 1/3 more but are more hardy, maneuverable, and can fall back and still fire thanks to fly (don't need a CP for Fire and Fade).

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #12 on: December 6, 2017, 10:20:58 AM »
I think there is merit in looking at this topic when dealing with orks and gaunts:
How to kill GEQ
From that we get:
1. Storm guardian with flamers
2. Guardians with scatter laser
3. Swooping Hawks/Striking Scorpion (depends on if the target is in cover or not)

Another thing to thing about is the pure number of attacks(shooting and melee) the unit can deliver, comparred to their point cost, then we have some interesting contenders:

Swooping Hawks 2,17 points per attack (ppa) [no exarch]
Storm guardians with flamers 2,51 ppa
Defender guardians with scatter laser 2,88 ppa
Striking Scorpions 2,15 ppa [no exarch]
Dire Avengers 3,71 ppa [no exarch]

The reason I suggested Dire avengers is because they are good against first turn charges.

Since they were suggested I included these:

Warp Spiders 6 ppa [no exarch]
Windrider 4,6 ppa
Shining Spears 4,43 ppa [no exarch]
Howling Banshees 4,33 ppa [no exarch]

but they do not really match up.

Warp spiders are also actually worse against orks than gaunts, due to the 8th ed strength/toughness table. Their rending is even less useful than the shuriken rending, because these rendings only works fully against 4+ saves or better, and the spiders need at least power armour to get their full use of it.
This is why warp spiders are a terrible choice, but also makes the defender guardians and Dire Avengers less useful than against GEC.

Wraithlord with flamers and scatter lasers 7,26 ppa.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2017, 10:24:59 AM by Fenris »
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: December 6, 2017, 04:09:06 PM »
To sum it up, if you want to kill a horde you have to send in a horde. Which doesn't make a lick of sense fluff wise for Eldar... [oldmanrant] back in my day kids could read a simple table... [/oldmanrant]

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #14 on: December 6, 2017, 04:37:51 PM »
I often try to mitigate large units in don't want to deal with right away, by charging a tank into them.

They'll probably not be able to kill the vehicle, and it'll prevent them from shooting and charging for a turn. Can really slow them down. Especially useful against unit's like pox walkers and ork boys mobs.

Doesn't effect elder vehicles too much, as they can just fly away and keep shooting the following turn.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline admironheart

• later
  • Armies: Eldar,Exodites,Harlequins.Squats,Dark Eldar&BA
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 09:12:50 PM »
I like to have a wall of Dire Avengers (10) with Storm Guardians just spaced so that the enemy cannot charge them but CAN consolidated into them if they are dumb.

First the DA can get  a few overwatch kills and should not break but will take losses. When the enemy consolidates through the holes into your storm guardians they just made a big mistake.

I usually take 15 storm guardians with chainswords 105 points
I try to make them Ulthwe but not necessarily.
On the enemies Fight phase you MAY be able to combat for 30 attacks

Try to have an Autarch nearby. If you have a Farseer...Doom on your next turn. Enhance from a warlock or Conclave.

You may get a few kills on his turn.  On your turn you will shine. 30 attacks with Doom and enhance.  So you hit on 2+ and reroll 1's. You use Black Guardian Stratagem with the Disdain Stratagem.

Now you get a free attack for every 4+ you roll.
45 Dice should get you 43 hits. With Doom you should get 33+ hits on T3 targets, 25+ hits on T4/T5 targets and 13+ on T6+ targets.
Not too many units will have survived after lay that onto them....all for an Autarch you most likely have, A Farseer you most likely have and 1 warlock with Enhance. Plus the 105 points.

They will never look the same at Storm Guardians when a large unit of Genestealers is removed!
"Battles are decided by slaughter and maneuver.  The greater the general, the more he contributes in manuever, the less he demands in slaughter"...Winston Churchill

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 04:38:41 AM »
@admironheart

That's an interesting combo indeed. The only downside to that tactic is that it only works against the enemy that comes at you. What if he doesn't?

Offline admironheart

• later
  • Armies: Eldar,Exodites,Harlequins.Squats,Dark Eldar&BA
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 11:58:33 AM »
@admironheart

That's an interesting combo indeed. The only downside to that tactic is that it only works against the enemy that comes at you. What if he doesn't?

well its only 105 points....and if his horde is not charging you then your gunline will hopefully be able to use LOS terrain, range, and maneuverability to outflank and outshoot his gunline/horde
"Battles are decided by slaughter and maneuver.  The greater the general, the more he contributes in manuever, the less he demands in slaughter"...Winston Churchill