News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Killersquid Vs Irisado (two games?!)  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Killersquid Vs Irisado (two games?!)
« on: January 12, 2012, 12:22:44 PM »
This is not going to be the standard turn by turn report. We've both separately wrote rundowns of the games and I'm going to include them here along with pictures too.

My List.

Dante
Sanguinor
Two priests
Three Death Company
Three units of Sanguinary Guard

Irisado's List

Farseer
Firedragons in Falcon
Striking Scorpions
Banshees in Waveserpent
Two Guardian squads
Dire Avengers in Falcon a Waveserpent (Thanks Irisado).
Warpspiders

Pre-Game.

My main concerns in both the games was the Fire Dragons and the Howling Banshees. My hope was that I could shoot dead the banshees (or at least shoot a lot of them and then charge them to death) and charge the fire dragons before they could shoot me. The other elements in the army were a concern (troops and such like that), but my 2+ save and feel no pain could do a lot to mitigate those elements.
~Killersquid

Let me start by saying what a thorough friendly person Killersquid is.  He puts me to shame in terms of being calm and laid back.

As for the game, we actually had time for two battles!

~Irisado

Game 1.

The first was Dawn of War and kill points, which brought a resounding sigh from me.  I knew I was up against it with Killersquid having such a small army, and sure enough, I lost 9-5.  Still, I think that I played quite well, and in terms of units left it was a bloody game on both sides.

I had two Dire Avengers and a Wave Serpent remaining, while Killersquid had Dante (2 wounds left), 2 Jump Pack Marines (I forget the squad name), and 2 Death Company.  Everyone else was either dead, or had fled the board.

I managed to kill the Sanguinor, which pleased me no end, but my Guardians and Farseer fleeing from a multiple combat, and then not being able to rally, due to being too close to the Death Company's close assault with the Dire Avengers was a major low point, as was the Falcon being blown to pieces despite Holofields (Killersquid rolled a six and a five), which allowed the Fire Dragons to get assaulted by a full squad led by a Priest.....

~Irisado

As Irisado deployed fairly compact, I would have a hard time attacking any part of his army when I came in without A) being charged by banshees and/or B) being shot by fire dragons. I didn't really want to get to close to either element (except with the Sanguinor). I tried deepstriking further back behind a building and then slam the Sanguinor into him and attack other elements when he went to deal with that guy.

Turn 2 went well, with most of my army coming in or already deployed (Dante and pals never came in immediately).  I sent the Death company on the right flank as a disruption element and they ended up tying up (but sadly not killing) the dire avengers early in the game. My main problem came turn three, when I could easily slam the Sanguinor into one of his guardian squads no worries, but I also tired to assault his striking scorpions with one of my guard squads. I ended up failing my difficult terrain test and ended up loosing the whole squad to shooting and counter-assault. Sanguinor did his job of running into a squad of things and body-slaming them to death. Irisado even passed his morale check, so the Sanguinor was safe in the shooting phase.

After this, the game basically came down to a series of combats. Dante and his squad of melta death came in and failed to even scratch the paint on the banshees wave serpent, while a lucky plasma pistol shot from another squad knocks out the fire dragons ride. My plan was to be able to knock out both transports. I did kill off the fire dragons after the charge though, but then the banshees came out and took down my squad with support from the scorpians. Then Dante counter-counter charged and beat face...hard. Once the Banshees were killed off, it was a lot easier to deal with other elements of the army, but they took down a squad of dudes and the Sanguinor so dealt my army a lot of damage. It was a fairly close game and I only came ahead by a handful of KP's.
~Killersquid

Game 2.

The second game went horribly wrong for me.  It was seize ground and spearhead, so I was feeling a bit more confidenct, but I botched my deployment, which allowed Dante's squad to deep strike behind me.  I then foolishly assaulted them with the Striking Scorpions because I forgot Dante was I6, and lost almost the whole squad before they could strike.  This allowed the squad with Dante to finish the Scorpions, and then assault my Guardians in his turn, sending them and the Farseer fleeing the table for the second game in a row.  A very costly mistake.

Some quick thinking with the skimmers got me slightly out of trouble, and the Fire Dragons and Dire Avengers combined to roast one Priest led squad, while the Falcon finished off the remnants of the Death Company.

The Howling Banshees assaulted Saguinor, who had earlier wiped out a whole squad of Guardians single handedly, and inflicted 11 wounds.  I thought he would die for the second time, but Killersquid made 10 saves  :o!

The game ended at that point.  Killersquid either won by two objectives to one, or it was tied, depending on where you measure the distance from a skimmer (my Wave Serpent in this case) to an objective when it comes to contesting it.  Neither of us had a rule book, and we couldn't remember.

I haven't managed to look it up since I've been back, owing to all manner of disasters since I returned home.

I really enjoyed my games, but I was very lucky to tie the second one (assuming I have), while I feel as though the first game, despite losing, was the game in which I played the best.
~Irisado

With my plan of 'Be Bold' not working to well in the previous game (I was too reckless, even with victory), I decided to play a lot more cautiously. I deliberately placed many of the objectives within 12" of others so I could just jump between them. I figured I would camp around two objectives and let him come to me and depending on how Irisado moved his units, maybe attack his objective directly.

I deepstruck my whole army and when it came in (all but dante and pals), I placed them tightly behind buildings to block LoS or to offer cover. Death company once again deploy a bit separately from the rest of my force to cause shenanigans. First few turns was more of a shifting game. He moved slightly and I moved slightly. Sanguinor and one squad slowly crept around a building, while the deathcompany boldly pulled a second turn charge on the warp spiders who moved a little too close. Sanguinor managed to pull off a similar move on a guardian squad in the mid field.

The most important move of the game, was the Irisado moved up his fire dragons in turn two. This allowed me to deepstrike Dante and pals in the back corner of his table edge well out of range of their guns. He tried to damage my squad by charging with the scorpions, but his main hitting power was in the Exarch, who had a powerfist. Dante and his squad managed to butcher the scorpions easily before the exarch could strike. I could then claim his objective by hopping my Sanguinary guard into the woods (which saved them from retribution from the fire dragons), but also allowed dante to run amuck through more of Irisado's troops units. By turn four, he only had the dire avengers as troops, while I had models on three objective and Dante and the Sanguinor bro-fisting in the mid-field.

With three skimmer tanks and going second, Irisado had a very real chance to tie up the game. He scooted over to my back corner of the table and focused on trying to nuke one of my sanguinary guard squads there. I jumped in and punch the dire avengers tank dead in the late game, while the fire dragons nuked the squad shortly afterwards. Sanguinor was blessed with his inv. saves against the banshees and suffered only one wound against their attacks. However, he dumped one of his tanks on my mid-field objective and I was not close enough to contest the objective his dire avengers to contest. Good game and ended with a solid draw.
~Killersquid

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:03:19 PM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Killersquid Vs Irisado (two games?!)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 12:46:55 PM »
Gorgeous army there, Killersquid. The games looked like fun, too. Hats off to you for doing so well with so small an army.

Offline Fealhach

• Armies: CWE, DE, IG, SoB and Crimson Fists
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 03:01:50 PM »
Irisado, is that a TL-starcannon on that Wave Serpent?

I thought I was the only one still using those things!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 03:25:34 PM »

It's used as a Shuriken Cannon in all my games, so it's only a Starcannon in terms of the model.

It's the old third edition Forge World Wave Serpent.  I've been meaning to replace it with a newer model for a few years now, but I can't afford to spend any money on GW models at the moment.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »
Gorgeous army there, Killersquid. The games looked like fun, too. Hats off to you for doing so well with so small an army.

Thanks man, though I must say that I had to work really hard to do well at all against Irisado. Small model count hurts you with every loss and at the end of the first game especially we were both well and bloodied.

I should have specified wargear layouts, but to be honest it is sometimes hard enough to remember all there was in both armies without worrying about what the figures held. To be honest, I was quite happy it was not a star cannon.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline NightMoor

• Autarch of a dying race
    • Youtube channel: battle reports and painted figures
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 11:12:51 PM »
Great games guys, and it's nice to see your beautifully painted new army in action Killersquid! Looks like you have not skipped a beat painting a playing, can't wait to play when you're back home :).
Check out my Youtube channel for battle reports and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/EldarCorsair

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 05:03:28 PM »
Yeah, I'll be back sometime in April. We should Definitely get a game in once I'm back in my home country.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria