News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Allying in a Riptide  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Allying in a Riptide
« on: January 15, 2014, 07:13:33 AM »
So I am playing a Marine army at 1750 in a tournament and was considering allying in a Riptide.
How to best do that? Which constellation of HQ+Troops are the best for it?
I mean, obviously I want to keep the points low, but I hear that Farsight offers some HQ-trinkets that makes the Riptide a LOT meaner, so that might be worth the points.

What would be your opinions on this?

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Spirit of Kurnous

• Infinity Circuit
Re: Allying in a Riptide
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 10:32:22 AM »
a commander with the ignores cover and rerolls kit is quite nice to add to your reapers assuming you have any. then backed up with a full squad of firewarriors (for defensive fire plus they can reach out and touch)
40k:
Eldar=12000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 2000pts

Fantasy:
Slaanesh=5000pts      
Wood Elves=6000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 3000pts
High Elves 3000pts

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 11:09:10 AM »
If you're going cheap, buy a Cadre Fireblade HQ and a small squad of firewarriors (less than 150 points total) and then a riptide. The whole package should come in well under 400 points total.

Arguably, you could go Ethereal + Kroot and a Riptide and sit at about 300 points, but I don't recommend that as the Ethereal dying is bad for you and, when stuck with a bunch of Kroot, he is almost certainly going to die.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 06:27:39 AM »
If you're going cheap, buy a Cadre Fireblade HQ and a small squad of firewarriors (less than 150 points total) and then a riptide. The whole package should come in well under 400 points total.

Arguably, you could go Ethereal + Kroot and a Riptide and sit at about 300 points, but I don't recommend that as the Ethereal dying is bad for you and, when stuck with a bunch of Kroot, he is almost certainly going to die.
Thank you - I am wondering about the Farsight though. I know it is going to be more expensive, but the commander might boost the Riptide and the Crisis suits might actually do something in the game, as opposed to a tiny group of Firewarriors/kroot that just die.

a commander with the ignores cover and rerolls kit is quite nice to add to your reapers assuming you have any. then backed up with a full squad of firewarriors (for defensive fire plus they can reach out and touch)
As I do not play Eldar I am not bringing Reapers. :)
But can't a Commander boost a Riptide significantly? Or is that only Farsight?

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 09:09:57 AM »
I really can't think of what you think Farsight does for the Riptide. Perhaps this is something from the Farsight Enclaves Expansion? As it stands, in the standard codex Farsight really doesn't do anything to buff the Riptide unless you plan on deepstriking your riptide, which I can't figure out why you'd do.

Also: Don't count out a small group of firewarriors with a Cadre! Less than 150 points lets you put 18 Heavy-Bolter strength shots at Bolter Range + 6". At half range that balloons to 27!

That isn't even getting into the fact that the Cadre provides a markerlight at a really high BS which can boost the Riptide (which, believe me, the Riptide will appreciate).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:12:57 AM by Wyddr »