News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1,000 pts. Beginner army, looking for advice  (Read 1498 times)

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
1,000 pts. Beginner army, looking for advice
« on: January 5, 2006, 06:06:57 AM »
Hello all,

I'm still a bit confused by all the pretty colours, exotic wargear and somersaulting aliens, but I'd love to start a Harlequin army. They're pretty much the polar opposite of my Imperial Guard army in every way imaginable, and they'll give me a great opportunity to improve my converting and painting skills. Oh, and the current army I have in mind would cost a little over 100 euros, about as affordable as it can get. :)

I'm using the rules on GW's site, as I want the army to be as close to legal as possible. I like all of the units in the list except for the jetbikes, so I haven't taken any of those. On to the list:

115 Great Harlequin: harlequin's kiss, shuriken pistol, D-field, hallucinogen grenades, plasma grenades, powerblades

161 Solitaire: harlequin's kiss, riveblades, D-field, plasma grenades, powerblades, tanglefoot grenades

114 2 Death Jesters: 2 bright lances

57 1 Death Jester: 1 bright lance

155 Harlequin Troupe: 5 Troupers: 2 harlequin's kisses, plasma grenades, hallucinogen grenades

155 Harlequin Troupe: 5 Troupers: 2 harlequin's kisses, plasma grenades, hallucinogen grenades

172 Harlequin Troupe: 6 Troupers: 2 harlequin's kisses, plasma grenades

65 Venom: holo-field

How does this look for a beginner's list? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers, PaxImperator

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re: 1,000 pts. Beginner army, looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: January 5, 2006, 06:19:16 AM »
You don't need hallucinogen on the GH, and why riveblades on the solitiare? It would be better to go with powerblades and a pistol to maximise attacks.
How come you have 2 kisses in each squad? A kiss/powerweapon is a good idea, as it will help you out of some tough spots to be versatile.
Fusiongun for the venom - essential upgrade.

The list overall looks very solid, and I think you can have a lot of luck on the field with it.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline PaxImperator

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: January 5, 2006, 06:39:30 AM »
Thanks for the swift reply Rasmus! :)

You don't need hallucinogen on the GH,

I was thinking about having him join the 6-man squad and so give everybody the benefits of the H grenades. I figured it could be useful to keep them from getting bogged down in assault. And since the Solitaire would probably be in a nearby assault somewhere, getting shot at after breaking the enemy wouldn't be too much of a problem. Is my reasoning flawed, or should I just be using the points elsewhere?

and why riveblades on the solitiare? It would be better to go with powerblades and a pistol to maximise attacks.

I was thinking about Carnifices at the time. Then again, I only rarely face that one Tyranid opponent who brings his very tooled up Carnifex, so I'll probably follow your advice.

How come you have 2 kisses in each squad? A kiss/powerweapon is a good idea, as it will help you out of some tough spots to be versatile.

I kind of overlooked the power weapon option. Didn't seem that necessary because of the much cooler kisses (and all the puns that immediately came to mind). But I'll change them into a kiss/PW combination. Terminators are bad.

Fusiongun for the venom - essential upgrade.

Is it really that much use to you? Its rather average ballistic skill doesn't look too appealing.

The list overall looks very solid, and I think you can have a lot of luck on the field with it.

Thanks, that's encouraging. I've got one more question for now. What's the verdict on neuro-disruptors? They seem very useful, if a little pricey.

EDIT: And another question: How much use is the holo-field on a vehicle that's as vulnerable as a Venom? I might have to find some points somewhere to implement your suggested changes, and the holo-field looks like a prime candidate for deletion.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2006, 06:41:32 AM by PaxImperator »

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #3 on: January 5, 2006, 09:07:38 AM »
Well, if you plan to join him up then sure, keep the grenade.
Well, if you face the guy wit the tooled up fex then bring the riveblades instead, but against pretty much all others the kiss/blades is the better pick, I think.
I use the fusiongun on all my Venoms, as it pops the transport once and again, and can deal with a dreadnought once in a while as well. It is just simply a good little perk.
I would never use the venom without the field - it is a flying coffin, and with the field it is a flying harder-to-hit-coffin.

Offline PaxImperator

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: January 5, 2006, 09:29:48 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. Here's a re-worked list.

The changes are:
- Added fusion gun to Venom.
- Equipped troupes with 1 kiss and 1 PW each.
- Replaced Solitaire's riveblades with shuriken pistol.
- Spent remaining points on bio-ex ammo for the Great Harlequin for fun, and some hallucinogen grenades for the Solitaire, just in case I want my enemy to run away.

120 Great Harlequin: harlequin's kiss, shuriken pistol, bio-ex ammo, D-field, hallucinogen grenades, plasma grenades, powerblades

149 Solitaire: harlequin's kiss, shuriken pistol, D-field, hallucinogen grenades, plasma grenades, powerblades, tanglefoot grenades

114 2 Death Jesters: 2 bright lances

57 1 Death Jester: 1 bright lance

156 Harlequin Troupe: 5 Troupers: 1 harlequin's kiss, 1 power weapon, plasma grenades, hallucinogen grenades

156 Harlequin Troupe: 5 Troupers: 1 harlequin's kiss, 1 power weapon, plasma grenades, hallucinogen grenades

173 Harlequin Troupe: 6 Troupers: 1 harlequin's kiss, 1 power weapon, plasma grenades

75 Venom: holo-field, fusion gun

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #5 on: January 5, 2006, 09:50:13 AM »
It looks really good now. I think you can have a lot of fun with it.

Offline Tango

• I used to be Tricodex
« Reply #6 on: January 5, 2006, 08:40:38 PM »
I think that 5 more harlies would serve you better then a Solitaire but thats really up to you.

Visit my invision RP forum:
http://s13.invisionfree.com/iSamurai
Yet another neko lover
Tricodex; tree-ko-deks

Offline PaxImperator

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: January 6, 2006, 02:34:21 PM »
I think I'll give the Solitaire a go first, but thanks for the suggestion. His power weapon attacks are going to be a big help against space marines I expect, and there's that nice possibility of pulling off a first turn charge with him.

But I will get some more harlies instead if he proves to be a points sink. We'll see.