News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Imperial Guard Fortification List  (Read 1858 times)

Offline pringles978

Imperial Guard Fortification List
« on: October 30, 2014, 11:02:32 PM »
Hai guys

Over the past few years, i've been collecting up a load of guardsmen and weapon teams. Honestly, I have no idea why, but I have them... I suppose I need to build an army with them, and im thinking that rather than spend a ton of money on tanks and dettas (neither of which I like the models for) Im thinking of simply cramming a list as full of assorted fortifications as I can manage.

I would want to either use the bastion/defence line style models or the martyrs style stuff as I dont think they work well together looks wise. What are your experiences of using fortifications, and are there any you could recommend? I appreciate objective grabbing would be a problem with such a static list but the fact the list would be different to what you usually see makes up for it to me.

If you want to throw out a couple of lists, that would be appreciated. Simply assume any amount of guard models are available.

Offline Hamburgler Hill

Re: Imperial Guard Fortification List
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 08:17:58 AM »
Hi there.

Let me start off by saying this is from my own experience, but I honestly can't see you enjoying using static infantry and forts for a whole bunch of reasons. Mainly, you'll tend to get trashed the second anyone brings any kind of weapon/psi power that ignores cover. (There are so Yhwh-condemned many of these combinations now it blows my mind).

You won't just struggle to claim objectives - you'll flat out not be able to if they're outside of your deployment zone since it would mean marching unprotected infantry straight into the waiting arms of ap5 or better shooting plus close combat. Again, theres so much of both of these things that you can essentially assume you won't get cover or armor saves for a large bulk of your opponents shooting.

Also speaking from experience - it's dull as hell. You pick a target, shoot, rinse, repeat. No tactical concerns involved other than fire priority - either you wipe out your opponent with shooting or you lose. Believe me when I say this will quickly tire - you leave yourself with no other options. Plus it's kinda hard to do.

My final issue relates to cost - buying armor is much much cheaper in IRL credits than buying up a ton of fort lines.

I guess my opinion is to say all things in moderation. A little armor, a little infantry, a little air power and a little in forts makes a good balance. The second you start taking 1 part of that to the exception of the rest it tends to be expensive, unfun and usually a bit rubbish.

All of that said - forts and infantry do make good fluffy games so if that's your end goal you can't go wrong with the bunkers/bastions kits. The defence lines just look weird to me.

Hope that helps mate.
The men from the 101st made 10 bloodied attempts for victory but all they got was a pile of burgers and a lawsuit from MacDonald's     Hamburglerhill

Offline Crawfskeezen

• The Emperor Protects
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Imperial Navy, Dark Angels
« Reply #2 on: November 1, 2014, 05:06:41 PM »
It doesn't sound like the worst plan, I'm quite fond of it myself. A semi WWI style infantry and machine gun supported list holed up in their "trenches" and "bunkers" / aegis and bastions. There's precedent in WWI and II where defensive forces holed up in medieval castles held out quite well. You can use the quad guns for AA so no worries about not having flyers.

I do however echo Hamburgler Hill's thoughts. If you're playing a force that can ignore cover, and not even excessively you may be in for some hurt. An SM whirlwind can conceivably wipe about half a squad off the table in one shot assuming it hits or scatters well (wounding 66% of the time no save for a Guardsman). However that can be offset with sheer numbers and Commissars can be used to keep your units in line. Soviet styles.

One other point is a deep striking army (Demons, DA, GK, etc..) or any armies that like to get close quick (Nids, Orks, etc...) will give you trouble if they do get in before you can lay down enough of a hosing on them. My solution for this would be to have some in close counter units to hold your line against CC while the gun teams and the guardsmen stay unengaged lay down their barrages. Conscripts and Flamer vets save you dropping mad skrill on anything new but aren't terribly strong against anything bigger than them. I sometimes use roughriders (I know...) kept in reserve to come out and nail something thats causing me pain. Im interested to try out the new Bullgryns, havn't yet but they look like an ideal unit for that kind of thing.

Hold the fort!
CO 46th Frostshields

"Relish The Cold, Freeze The Foe"

7th W/D/L

IG 1/0/0

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #3 on: November 3, 2014, 06:27:23 AM »
I think it's a great idea...  With two of my buddies we played a game where the Guard player had a castle to defend (one I had made for LotR) and the other two of us attacked him, whilst thematic the Guard player could have done with more terrain, rapid response units and heavy weapon squads...  He was also at a point disadvantage (1500 + 1500 vs 2500)... 

Having a strong theme for your army will make it look good both on the table top and in the cabinet, as well as making it fun to play against.  (In my opinion two themed lists is more fun than two win at all costs list)
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline pringles978

« Reply #4 on: November 4, 2014, 09:54:04 AM »
Cheers for the responses guys, after a bit of thought I've decided to give it a go with the waal of martyrs stuff and include an allied detachment of stormtroopers for some mobile objective grabbing and manouverability. Im not wanting a hugely effective tourney winning list out of this as I have a few marine lists for when im looking to hand out beatings and an Eldar list I just started thats full of cheese,so I think this might be a nice change of pace.

I might even break the bank and go crazy with forgeworld artillery, Rapiers and the like ;)