News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Slight Breach of Necron Etiquette  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
Slight Breach of Necron Etiquette
« on: August 23, 2004, 06:15:02 PM »
Trying to bend the basic rules of a Necron list, I've tried making some changed while trying to achieve the same thing that you'd normally find in a well-rounded army. Tell me what you think, what mistakes I made, what changes should be made, etc.

HQ: Lord w/ VoD, Solar Pulse and Phylactery=195pts
Lord w/ Res Orb, Destroyer Body & Nightmare Shroud=200pts

Elites: 2x10 Immortals=560pts

Troops: 3x10 Warriors=540pts

Fast Attack: 5 Scarab Swarms=60pts
5 Scarab Swarms w/ D Fields=80pts

Heavy Support: Monolith=235pts
2 Tomb Spyders=110pts

TOTAL: 1990pts

The HQ's: The second Lord listed is a conventional Destroyer lord who will be zipping about the Warrior Lines providing Res Orb and also Nightmare Shroud where needed. The second will be veiling around with ten of the Immortals. I didn't give him a Res Orb because I considered a moment that 1) it usually isn't too difficult to keep a Veiled unit out of combat, and 2) a str 10 weapon would be required to instant kill Immortals, the chances of running into that anywhere except Guard are unlikely for ranged weaponry, and where you can find such weapons, a player using them on a single immortal will only be insuring that it stays down, whereas before it would have received a 4+ Invul save, not ensuring that it was going to rise again anyway. I figure if they are wasting their strong weapons on individual Immortals(excluding of course, the Demolisher) that means the Monolith is that much safer.

Elites: I decided that I wanted to see fewer Destroyers in this list, and after reflecting on the niche Destroyers fill, I figured that I needed more mobile fire power. Immortals are capable of providing this. They move more slowly and their firing is a bit less heavy, but you get about two to every Destroyer, with each Immortal being just as hard to kill as its Fast Attack counterpart. Also, since ten can be VOD'd at once, I figured they would provide an extra maneuvre in the event that the enemy throws something at the list that it can't handle well. Given this sort of....pumped up infantry type of army that so many Immortals has created, I'm figuring on a lot more Warriors making it within range(the Immortals will take most of the fire), and the Tomb Spyder allowing ensured wbb rolls back with the main infantry lines.

Troops: With the Immortals covering them the troops should be safer on the march. While the opponent may be focusing on the Immortals, the Warriors will provide thirty more guns in favor of the necron side later in the battle, which could win the game depending on other circumstances.

Fast Attack: The Scarabs sort of serve as filler positions for this list. Given the heavy reliance on fire power things would get nasty in the event that an assault squad made an inconvenient entrance. The Scarabs will provide close combat support, engaging enemies before they can reach the Warriors or Immortals, and I threw the D fields on the one unit just in case I needed some extra options for how to deal with enemy armor.

Heavy Support: The Monolith will mainly be used for its deepstriking ability, warping units up along the field, getting the Warriors into range more quickly. Once it lands the Lord and his retinue of Immortals will be only secondary targets, and it will be safer for them to begin veiling around, providing additional bonuses. The Tomb Spyders will be there in the event that the enemy tries to take advantage of the Warriors/Immortals while they are spread out(half way through warping up the field).