News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Bolt Action  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Bolt Action
« on: June 14, 2017, 12:17:37 PM »
I've been having a lot of fun playing Bolt Action recently. Building a Canadian Force for gaming at my LGS/barbershop/café.

We played a 2v1 game last night. two 750pt forces of Canadians vs 1500pts of French. Canadaians entered in two waves from one short table edge. 1vp for each unit in the middle 1/3 of the table, 2 vp for being in the last 3rd of the table and 3vp for any unit which makes it off the table.

The French earned 2vp per unit eliminated.

I brought three infantry squads, artillery spotter, qf 6pdr anti-tankl gun, 1st Lt, and a Cromwell Mk1. My teammate had a Sherman Firefly, and a few squads of infantry, spotter and lt.

The French had a bunch of infantry, a tank (don't know the name), armoured car, howitzer, Medium Motar team, two anti-tank rifle teams, sniper team, lt, and a medic.

We played for 8 turns ( and then ran out of time). I was hit pretty hard, loosing two squads to French Infantry charges (assaults in bolt action are very brutal affairs). Cromwell with it's hedge cutter made good work chewing through the hedges for my infantry to follow behind. However, it was bogged down for a few turns after it (briefly) caught fire lol.

The Firefly spent a good part of the game blasting anti-tank rifle teams out of buildings.

Game ended with 4 vp for the Canadians, and 6 Vp for the French. A very fun and exciting game.

Anyone else playing this game?
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Bolt Action
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 01:30:39 PM »
I haven't been, but I am interested in learning about it. What are the mechanics like? The scale? Mostly just curious.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Bolt Action
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 03:12:51 PM »
The game is fairly straightforward to play. A lot of the mechanics are similar to a lot of miniature games.

There are not really stats for units though.

Infantry is categorized into Inexperienced, Regular and Veteran. This effects what it takes to wound them, as well as modifiers for hitting. Inexperienced is always wounded on 3+, regular 4+, and vets 5+. This also effects their leadership as well.

Hitting is all about modifiers. Long range, short range, point blank, cover, moving etc.

Vehicles are categorized under what it takes to wound them. anywhere from 6+ - 10+. Some weapons clearly give modifiers to wounding so you can damage tougher units.

For example, my Quick fire 6 pounder anti-tank gun, has a +5 modifier for damaging, so when rolling to wound, I add 5 to whatever I roll on a D6.

When making a list, you get one order dice for each unit you have. Both players should have the same type of dice, but a different colour for each player and are all put into a bag. Each turn a random dice is taken from a bag, and the player the dice belongs to can choose a unit to take an action. Dice are kept drawn randomly until all units have activated. When a unit dies, the player removes an order dice.

Actions are things like rally, run, advance (move and shoot), shoot, assault, amongst some other things.

Besides that, the next big mechanic is pin markers. Every time a unit gets at least one successful hit on an enemy unit, the targeted unit gains a pin marker. Pins can be accumulated, and some weapons (like barrage), can do multiple pins.

A unit gets a -1 to hit penalty for each pin marker it has, and if a unit has any pin markers, then have to take a leadership test to do any action (at -1 per pin), or they are pinned for the turn.

There are ways to remove, or mitigate pins.

Typical games are around 1000pts, and you don't really need a whole lot of stuff.

Tanks are really expensive (around 250pts give or take 100pts), infantry squads range between 100-200pts, and most weapon teams are between 40-70pts.

The game scale is 28mm, so the same as 40k. But, not heroic scale. So, a Soldier in Bolt Action is the right size to a space marine as a human should be, and are all on 25mm bases.

Feel free to ask any other questions!

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria