News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Mawloc Deep Strike Mishap  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
Mawloc Deep Strike Mishap
« on: January 17, 2014, 12:57:20 PM »
So, I thought I would crunch a few numbers after this rule was introduced. The following assumes you are going after T4 or below models with 1 wound. I mean if you're going to come up under a Nemesis Dreadknight you're asking for trouble.

Five models, no invuln save: odds of Deep Strike mishap is: 13 %
Ten models, no invuln save: odds of Deep Strike mishap is: 25 %
Five models, each with a 5+ invuln save: odds of Deep Strike mishap is: 92 %

Therefore, if you go for the nice squishy option with no invuln save then your fairly safe. Also consider this:

Roll 4, 5, or 6 on the DSM table then it's a BONUS. You don't get shot at and you get an extra Terror from the Deep.
Roll 2 or 3, then if your opponent places you far away in the corner. Then great you aren't going to get shot, just burrow next turn. If they place directly in front of some big guns, then you were probably going to get shot anyway by them as the model is so large.
Roll a 1 and it's  >:(

However, overall you got three times the opportunity of rolling a 4, 5, 6 than a 1 on the DSM table. And it's possibly worth trying to deliberately DSM on say turn 4 or 5 to try to get a 4, 5, 6 on the DSM table to get one more TFTD which you otherwise wouldn't have and if you rol a 1, then you're not much worse off anyway.

Overall I think that though on first glance they nerfed the Mawloc ,I think they have actually made it better - it's more of a risk, but it can do more damage. Just go for easy targets the first turn, and leave the tougher ones for later in the game.
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
Re: Mawloc Deep Strike Mishap
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 04:21:48 PM »
Yup.

A 50% chance to double tap a TEQ pieplate every turn is defiantly worth the risk.

This will need to be play tested but I would try and stay underground as much as possible.  As the game goes on, there will/should be less models so the odds of your surfacing and surviving late game are better.

I would love to see how this plays out with someone trying to abuse it.

For their low point cost, I'd get 2!

These guys would devastate tau!  Take out their marker lights first, then move onto the broad sides!
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.