News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: first electric guitar, lil help?  (Read 617 times)

Seer Questel

first electric guitar, lil help?
« on: June 11, 2003, 06:08:11 AM »
well, soon it'll be my bday ( ;D) and the no.1 thing i want at the moment is an electric guitar (probably wont get it though, mum says if im still intrested by christmas she'll get me one. BUT I WANT IT NOW!!!lol)

after searching the net for a while ive discovered 1 thing.............. .

there are a HELLA A LOTTA diffrent guitars out there.

anyone know a decent guitar brand for a kids first electric (ive being using my mums old acoustic)

and how much do they cost with an amp and stuff? (not a real expnsive one, just a good first one)

any help would be appreicated :)

alright, how bout one of these things?
doesnt say how much they are and i dont understand most of the stuff it has but they say its the standered thing which the other ones of its type are based on ???

http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0134600

whilst me here's, anyone know how to resize a pic?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2003, 06:21:53 AM by Questel »

Offline XfinianX

• Down with Bad Music!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • My Heart Bleeds No Longer
Re:first electric guitar, lil help?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 07:32:35 AM »
If you want a fender style guitar but its only your 1st guitar, then I suggest you look at the Squier series. They are basically the entry level guitars made by fender (so you're assured some degree of quality) but without having to pay the high prices. Im not saying you'll get a truely top notch instrument ore that it will sound exactly the same as a regular fender - but as you're only starting out, i doubt you'd  even notice  :)

infact - do believe fender do starter packs which come with a guitar, a small (probably 10watt = loud enough for the bedroom, but not loud enough to disturb the whole house most of the time) practice amp, leads a strap etc etc - basically everything you need to get started - and those are pritty cheap

also i suggest you look in you local 2nd hand/classified ads paper and see what cheap deals you can find :) - most of my gear that i've bought over the years has been second hand - and its all worked fine
subtle as a sledge hammer

Offline Scars

• Warning: He bites
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
    • Progressive Labour Party
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 08:47:47 AM »
My first advice would be this:
Be dedicated. Playing a guitar isn't like writting a story- it takes alot of time. If you aren't dedicated, don't waste your money.

Next up I'd say go to as many guitar shops as possible and play as many guitars as possible. Reviews, fads etc mean nothing, it's all about what feels right for you.

It is better to buy a darer guitar to start with than getting a cheaper one that you will want to replace along the line. Remember that as you get better a cheap guitar won't satisfy all your needs when you get better. It's cheaper in the long run.

Buy a small amp, second hand ones are fine (just make sure they work!). Lets face it your using it to parctice in your room and maybey play in your garage. Your not recording or playing to thousands.

Also, talk to people that know what they are talking about. Your guitar teacher is a good place to start.

Don't worry about pedals etc (sure I shelled out for a distortion pedal when I bought my guitar- shhhhh ;))

Don't buy dare leads. An experienced player will notice the difference, but your average guitar player isn't.

And finally- buy good strings. I don't mean the stupidly dare ones ($50- get over it!), the cheap ones were out quicker- it's cheaper in the long run.
'The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

Offline XfinianX

• Down with Bad Music!
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 09:46:41 AM »
thats the balace - shelling out for a guitar you'll love and cherish for ever, or staying cheap and having a guitar that you don't mind replacing.

where there is a huge amount of logic in shelling out, as a first time buyer i'd heavily advise against it. While it may feel like something you love and enjoy right now, you might not feel the same in say a year - so you could have spent a whole lotta money (guitars are expensive) on something you don't use.

As for the whole cheaper in the long run arguement - while all well and true - personal tastes and sounds change. Learn to play on an instrument you feel comfortable with - then in future you can branch out to different sounds until you find what you like - to suit your future needs. The instruments you buy today may not neccisarily make the sounds you wanna make in future.

Expensive leads - im gunna have to go against what scars said here - You pay for what you get with leads. Sure you might only be starting out, and you won't notice the sound quality difference, but a major difference between a cheap and expensive lead is that chepa leads will crap-out on you  a whole lot faster.

Expensive leads (if treated right) can litterally last a life time - heck, some of them come with life time garentees incase they dont! Before i bought expensive leads i went throu about 2 or 3 cables (probably partially down to adolescant mistreatment - i admit it), but then i went out and spent £20 (thats about $30-35 US) on a lead and have had no problems since.

While i agree that sometimes i think "if only i had started with this i'd have saved a lot of time" - but back when i started i wasen't exactly sure what sound i wanted to make at all. It may all be  fair and well buy a guitar you think you will want for ever, but you may not feel the same a few years down the line.

Pedals - i agree - don't worry about them just yet. Learn proper technique etc etc before you  worry about getting the sound nailed down tight.

Strings - i agree on this too.... ernie ball strings should surfice. as someone who is starting out, you won't be able to tell the difference. I receently spalshed out on a set of strings costing £11.50 (about $17-18) which is  a LOT of money as far as strings go for me. But i really can feel the difference. Back when i started out i wouldn't have noticed at all. Go for cheapish stirngs, but not TO cheap (don't want em breaking on ya too quickly ;) )

One final tip - ring round ALL the local shops and see what quotes they'll give you for the gear you want... they usually assume your trying to get the lowest price so give you a good deal. Remember to write down the price and get the name of who ever quoted it to you and WHEN! that way you can back it all up when ya go to buy

Offline zep790

• snoogans? i think so.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 11:13:08 AM »
yeah, definitely go around to the music stores, try stuff out and TALK to the people who work there.  they were all in the same boat you're in at one time.  also, the biggest problem i see when people are getting their first guitar is that they don't look at it as a real instrument.  it's kind of hard to explain what i'm thinking here, but people assume since it's a predominantly rock instrument and practically everybody plays it, that you shouldn't have to buy a quality one.  you have to think of it just like you were buying a cello, french horn, or piano.  like all instruments, you are going to get what you pay for.  that said, for a first guitar, go with something brand-name, like a fender strat.  you're guaranteed the kind of quality you'll need at an introductory level at a reasonable price.  go with a second-hand amp, it should be fine.  once again though, try not to get one that just does volume and sounds poorly.  look for EQ (a nob for treble, middle, and bass).  the amp i use is a small Pevey Backstage with volume, EQ, reverb, and a saturation nob.  strings-wise, ask the people at the store what they prefer.  if you're playing the blues and stuff like that, Ernie Ball Slinky 9's are nice.  those are what i use mostly.  easy to do bendys and what not.  when you're first starting out though, just get something versatile that appeals to your ear, since you'll be the one hearing it most of the time.  however, all of these tips are subjective seeing as i managed to get my first guitar from my dad: a '68 Fender Mustang, which i continue to use since it's a quality instrument that he payed some money for "back in the day".
California sunshine, sweet Calcutta rain;
Honolulu starbright, the Song Remains the Same.

Offline Pat Khils

• Phantom Lord
  • Ancient
  • Silent Night, Bodom Night
    • Anton's Vault
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2003, 11:48:20 AM »
I agree with every point that has been made here already, of I was here sooner I would say the same.

Now I'll give my few oppinions on starting guitars.
Fenders are great for starting, basically when your taste for music changes you can change the way it plays. What I'm trying to say is that Fenders arent strictly Metal gfuitars or Strictly Punk or Strictly funk, or anything else. They work good all around.

Thats said, a Squire is not the best buy but its a good starter guitar. The most problems you'll find with it that parts (nobs and such) will start to fall of from the uitar after year of use. But dont panic. If you have been playing for over a year and was persistant at it, you'll buy a new guitar anyways to whatever taste of music you like.  

Strats are great basically in my view they follow the standard Fender profile.

I have a Telecaster. But I changed it, I but dual EMGs on it and a reverse neck.  ;D So now it produces more power that I want.

Now on pedals. Dont bother untill after a full year of playing yout guitar. Again after a year of practicing yuor taste in type of music may change, thus buying a destortion pedal right away and deciding to play country may conflict.  So wait a year and decide.

Another tip. It'll be frustrating learning to play the first few months, and you might want to quite. But dont worry as soon as you get the basics down and get the hang of it everything will move along smoothly.   ;)

Good Luck to you, and much luck in guitar mastering!  :)

s i m a n o v: portfolio | deviant art

Offline Shadow Lord

• \,,,/ Metallica \,,,/
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2003, 11:59:18 AM »
Well as a novice myself compared to Rokgan and others I would say a good starting guitar if you dont want the knobs falling of is the Yamaha Pacifica.
Buy D'Dadario strings as they are realtively cheap but good enough for a beginner.
Forget the pedal until you are good enough to need put all thoughts of them out of your mind.
lead wise a make called I think it is scorpoin or something like that did me for my first year. But any realtivel cheap one will do.
Dont start of trying to learn Metallica or anything as you will get really fed up when you cannot play anything so leave that. learn basic chords and scales and then move onto simple songs a mag called Total Guitar is quite good for simple songs like that and good chords and scales aswell as complicated songs when you get better if you live in the Uk a subscription is advisable.
Dont bother fiddling with pickups and the like as it can screw things up if you dont know what you are doing. So stick with the guitar as it comes until you get a lot better and know what you are doing.
Do you want to get lessons or not.
If any of  the above info is wrong the guitar vets can fell free to correct me. :)

Offline Mr. Bo Jangles

• Damn Keyboard
  • The King of Freestyle
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2003, 06:54:04 PM »
OOOOOOOK! HERE I GO!:
Fender: Great guitar. I started with one and have since moved on to bigger and better things. The one thing I regret about starting with a fender is that I didn't buy the fat strat.
Epiphone: also a great guitar although I think these are a bit better than fenders at times. The Les Paul with duel humbuckers is a great buy for these and its only around $400.
Squire: I dont like em cause you pay less and end up getting less...much less.
Gibson: No. DO NOT START ON A GIBSON.
1)Expesive
2)At times hard to play
3)Many small scale (which produces problems later)
4)Easy to break
5)        ied so easy to dent/chip

I'd like to take this time to point out I play a Gibson SG Standard in Ebony...

ok so I say go with epiphone or fender.

Pedels aren't worth it when you start playing.

Amps: Start with a small 1x8 crate. later a Vox Pathfinder 15. Than if you join a band get a Vox Valvetronix 120. (Thats basically what I did because you dont need a 60 watt amp till you have to drown out drums ;))

Oh almost forgot...If your into metal try out a (B.C. Rich) Platinum Warlock with Widow Headstock...sweeeee eeeeet.
My 1350 (now 3000) pts of Tau beat My friends 1850 pts of IW.

Smilie band lives on

Offline CD

• The Plagued Reaper
  • Ancient
  • :\
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2003, 09:51:00 PM »
Fender is good, as is Epiphone for beginning players/prices. Get a Peavey amp, if you can find them they're great value for their price. They also last pretty long.

Another pice of advice (most of what I have to say has been said), if you have the money saved, look around on eBay. Me and my brother saved a few hundred bucks getting gear and guitars etc. I got a flying V for about $150-200 off of starting price, and it was brand new, and my brother got an old digitech (one of the better versions of a 'newer' model that they made worse), and he saved about $650 (it was old, so he has to spend about $20-50 repairing it, but that's still a great deal!).

Although if for some reason you can't use eBay or aren't allowed to or whatever, go to guitar stores. Pawn shoppes can be good on rare occasions, but remember that Pawn shop stuff is old, and stuff from guitar stores is usually a better deal (I emphasise 'usually', sometimes the owners of pawn shoppes don't know what guitars are worth! ;D)

Offline beautiful disaster

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2003, 12:14:26 AM »
i payed about 250$ for a cheap bass and cheap amp. i got em about 3-4 months ago. make sure you stick with it once you get the hang of it you will have fun. it took me the past 3-4 months to learn how to invent songs but im still pretty crappy.

Offline BloatedToad

• RIGHT CLAW SOUTH!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2003, 04:46:26 AM »
Real fender strats are cheap enough (obviously not USA, but still) that one wouldn't be a terrible idea.  I started on an epiphone strat knock off, and it still sounds freakin great today.  It is however, a cheap beater, and within a year I got my Jackson performer.  Much better guitar quality, but still not good enough.  So 3 years after starting I coughed up the cash for a 69' thinline telecaster, in purty mohagany.  MUCH better guitar, and perfect for me.  Had it for 4 years, haven't even had to reset the intonation yet.  Almost boring compared to the bizzare antics of my epiphone, and the endless tuning on that idiot jackson(yeah floyd rose!).

A fat strat can be had from MF for 399 right now, and most music stores will match them, and it is always best to buy local.  Good guitar, versatile enough to play most anything well.  Depending on what kind of music you like, a standard tele can be had for about 350, and string through body is a beautiful thing.  Not having to tune the thing, even after hanging from the strings is groovy!!  Less versatile though, not for metal without some serious mods.

For a cheap practice amp that really sounds great IMHO, check out the Behringer GM110.  Hella cheap, with incredible tone and versatility for a practice box.  I miss my old roomates 4x12, JSM100 head marshall stack of fun, but in my apartment for the last year, this thing has kept me very happy.  

The strat and the amp can be had for $500 US to your door I believe, and would make for an awsome starter set up.  Good luck with whatever you choose, and heed the warnings that everyone has given.  It will not be easy.  If it is, I hate you!
The blood drive is nothing but a pyramid scheme set up by Dracula and his evil minions.  The Bus of the Undead is likely involved as well............

Seer Questel

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2003, 11:14:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys! :)

I'm not too sure what some of that stuff means but it sounded good.

Yesterday at my friends house i tried playing on his bros old electric guitar (couldnt use the amp cuase they lost the lead though)

The first thing i noticed was how heavy the thing was compared to an acoustic! :o

how the hell can those guys swing them guitars round their head and stuff in all the video clips?

it still sounded allright though and looked cool (pretty......)

I think it was a Massico? MAss..........it started with M and had a few s's in it

My other friends got a Squire Fender, i hanvet seen it but he says its alright.

Havent being down to the music place yet but i think i'll just see if i can get one of those Fender starter things

Thx for the help guys!

Offline Pat Khils

• Phantom Lord
  • Ancient
  • Silent Night, Bodom Night
    • Anton's Vault
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2003, 11:29:23 PM »
I never noticed that my telecaster was heavy at all, it depends what you have. Now if you have an EXplorer, hhehehe  ;D, say a dimond plated one like Hetfield's, now thats heavy.  ;)  

Anywho I dont swing mine aro0und too much, I like to get my music rights and play on key rather than of  ;)

s i m a n o v: portfolio | deviant art

Offline XfinianX

• Down with Bad Music!
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2003, 04:19:36 AM »

The first thing i noticed was how heavy the thing was compared to an acoustic! :o

if you want a seriously heavy guitar, try a Gibson Les Paul... those things are monstrously heavy

how the hell can those guys swing them guitars round their head and stuff in all the video clips?

with a LOT of practice... LOTS. most people try it and end up doing themselves an injury :S

Offline BloatedToad

• RIGHT CLAW SOUTH!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2003, 05:19:56 AM »
If you are concerned about weight- I love my semi-hollowbody telecaster- there is little you can do at the cheaper end of the market.  My 69 is practically featherweight compared to a regular axe, and you wouldn't even notice one being hung on you if you were already holding a Les.

No affiliation here, but if you're interested in a real light guitar, I just looked on Ebay and there is a 72' thinline tele reissue from Japan that is only at like 125 buck right now.  A plain looking guitar, but very nice to play.  Comes with a hard case, so shipping is ok.  It says it isn't perfect, but it looks decent enough.  It's located in Georgia, and the seller seems to have good feedback.  I haven't ever bought a used guitar, so I can't offer any advice there.  Good luck!
The blood drive is nothing but a pyramid scheme set up by Dracula and his evil minions.  The Bus of the Undead is likely involved as well............

Offline Mr. Bo Jangles

• Damn Keyboard
  • The King of Freestyle
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2003, 09:22:06 AM »
Yes most gibsons are enormous. But the SG is so light its crazy. I love mine cause it definitly alows you to give some style to your live preformance.

Heres a pic of my strat: http://www.pbase.com/image/17528632
and my gibson and valvetronix: http://www.pbase.com/image/17600701
My 1350 (now 3000) pts of Tau beat My friends 1850 pts of IW.

Smilie band lives on