News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Idoneth Deepkin and the Namarti...  (Read 821 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Idoneth Deepkin and the Namarti...
« on: October 23, 2018, 04:57:04 PM »
So, when the flood gates holding back the information on the Idoneth Deepkin exploded, and the rules for most of the units were released, my initial impression were that that the Narmarti would be considered all-stars for their stat-line. I mean, the Thralls as a basic battle line unit that hit on 3s, wound on 3s, and can increase either their attacks or damage output depending on who they fight is pretty outstanding. The Reavers on the other hand, I can see not being regarded as highly, though I think after my initial impressions faded, I think I initially under-valued them.

Several months after their debut, my opinion about the Namarti are that they're still solid infantry, if a bit brittle in the jaw. Being able to take 30 Thralls for quite a bit less than 400 is really great with the discount. Reavers, I think are hampered in this regard, as they do not benefit from any points discount when taken in their maximum unit size of 20 models.

So my question is... so why are All-Akhelian armies the only lists worth running right now? Is there something I'm missing? I understand the theory that Akhelian Guard and the Namarti don't have that many synergies when on the field together. But how come there are no Namarti armies out there?

Namarti are quite fast, though only as far as foot infantry are concerned. When used correctly, Thralls and Reavers alike can pack a good wallop in close combat. Plus, I think using Namarti heavy armies allows more of the Isharann characters to shine as well as giving the Eidolons more room to comfortably fit into a list.

I think that the issue with the Namarti having not much presence in the AoS scene might be more complicated than mere points adjustments. Akhelians work better together as an exclusive force rather than in a combined arms approach with the rest of their faction, which really has me like  ???. That's not to say that I don't like the All-Akhelian armies, I think they're cool and thematic, I just wish we had a few more viable options to take to our tables.

What do you guys think?
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Idoneth Deepkin and the Namarti...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 06:06:10 PM »
Thralls are amazing, and I think a thrall based army would be very strong. There are a few reasons why the Eels, particularly the Morrsarr guard.

1) Less models to build/paint

2) Morrsarr are waaaaay too cheap for how good they are. A unit of 6-9 eels will kill anything in the game on the charge. They are increadibly fast, very tough to kill, and with their bio-electricity, they kill anything which tries to charge them. Also, they are incredibly fast, and most importantly they have the fly keyword. With their speed, and FLY, they can ignore screens, and pick fights. It's very hard to defend against the eels, as they have phenomenal mobility. Also, they can be taken as battleline.

Three units of 9 eels is a terrifying thing to face, when they always get the charge, and you die if you try to charge them.

Their only weakness, is low bravery, which will not really every be a factor.

I think until the Eels get their inevitble price hike, they will be the #1 list for Deepkin. They are super scary to fight.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 06:22:59 PM »
Good points, Squid, cannot disagree with any of them. In spite of how good Morrsarr Guard are on the field, I don't think I can bring myself to bring that nasty of a list onto the table. Especially, as you've noted, the Akhelians are going to get a price hike with GH 2019, no way around it. So, I think I'm happy to bring just two squads of six Akhelians, one Ishalean and the other Morrsarr. I'll fill out the rest of the points with other elements of the Deepkin, as I don't really like spammy list of only one certain unit. Plus, you're right, Thralls are very solid in what they offer for their amount of points.

I also think that a point reduction would be great for our Allopex friends, since their combat abilities are somewhat dwarfed by the 10 Namarti Thrall / Reavers or 3 Ishlean Guard for the same price. Right now I feel like they're simply not worth taking, but I'll keep my pair of Allopexes packed up with my army in case they become worth considering more next year.

Kind of think the same thing about the Leviadon, but I haven't used that unit at all, so cannot really tell just by reading the rules.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 06:32:39 PM »
The Allopexes do need a price reduction, they are not very good for their points. They look awesome though!

We might see points changes as early as the Winter FAQ, so we'll see. The Leviadon, I think is a great support unit for thralls, but due to it's cost, you pretty much take that, or the Eidolon.

The Thrall archers are the shinning stars of the infantry, they are super solid. Reavers I think over overshadowed a bit, but also have their place.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
I do like the leviathan as a unit, but if I'm going to choose between that an Eidolon Aspect of the Sea, I think I'll always lean toward the Sea Aspect because he's not only a powerful wizard that can also score objectives.

I'm starting to learn that I'm using the Reavers in the wrong way. I've been too defensive with them in the past and dividing them into two groups of ten makes them easy targets for just about anything. I'm going to stack them into one unit of 20 and be more aggressive with them, when the time comes that they can get in close, loose off a good volley, then close in for the kill in combat.