News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Next Up; Beasts Of Chaos  (Read 3828 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Next Up; Beasts Of Chaos
« on: August 26, 2018, 07:03:23 AM »
So it’s definitely official, Beasts Of Chaos are getting a Battletome, complete with new endless spells and a massive Herdstone model to boot!

Anyone interested in collecting them?  I must say, I am, but I’m already committed to the Overlords, Bloodbound and Moonclan grots so.....they’d have to wait.  ;D

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Next Up; Beasts Of Chaos
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 07:34:29 AM »
I have *always* had an interest in Beastmen. Almost collected them in the long ago days of the Old World.

I'm hoping the basic troops get new models, though. The current ones have been pretty dull for, like, decades.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 07:45:52 AM »
That’s the Ungors, Gors and Bestigors yes?  I suppose they’re still stuck in the rank and file posing mentality...which is ironic because they used to be skirmisher types back in the day.

I know that the chariot could do with an upgrade.  And of course the characters need to be more characterful these days too.  Still, it’s good that they’re getting attention.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 07:58:44 AM »
This is really cool! Also, goes along with my idea that the next factions to get battletomes, will be the ones in the generals handbook, to get them out of the handbook.

Common Skaven soon!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 08:28:16 AM »
Here’s hoping!  :)

I could see the Fyreslayers getting a new battletome for similar reasons; to get them out of the GHB to make room for someone else.  They now have the alligence ability, artfifacts, a battalion, so they’re nearly there.

Think they’ll all be merged back together?  I’m not sure why the Minotaurs were separated in the first place.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 02:00:11 PM »
Common Skaven soon!

Fingers crossed! It's the only thing that is stopping me from working on my Skaven; I always wanted a big Warlord Clan and the Clan Pestilens stuff has always left me cold.

I hope there are more minis for Beastmen beyond a couple of endless spells and the Hearthstone thingy though.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 05:55:11 PM »
I am actually tempted by this new battletome, and since I've decided not to invest into Nighthaunt, I guess I do need another army to do! ;D Right now it's either Beasts of Chaos or Tzeentch Arcanites. Either way, this battletome looks really cool! I wish we did get some new models outside of terrain and spells though.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 06:01:03 PM »

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 08:00:37 PM »
I am actually tempted by this new battletome, and since I've decided not to invest into Nighthaunt, I guess I do need another army to do! ;D Right now it's either Beasts of Chaos or Tzeentch Arcanites. Either way, this battletome looks really cool! I wish we did get some new models outside of terrain and spells though.

I'll bet one of the reasons they have a book coming out, is because most of their line is already plastic, they don't need too many kits.

But, I'll expect we'll see most of their boxes will be re-packaged.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: September 9, 2018, 03:49:24 PM »
Beasts of Chaos next week for pre-order!

Pre-order Preview: Beasts of Chaos - Warhammer Community

So, not going to lie, with the reveal of the new Start Collecting! Box for the beasties, this army just shot up several pegs on my interest list ;D.

• Ancient
« Reply #10 on: September 9, 2018, 05:28:25 PM »
Yeah, I was surprised to see a get started box. That one is a fantastic deal. The dice look really nice too.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: September 9, 2018, 05:45:15 PM »
Yeah, I was surprised to see a get started box. That one is a fantastic deal. The dice look really nice too.

Agreed, most Start Collecting do not come out until at least a year after the initial release (Except the Tzeentch Arcanites and the Mortal Maggotkin of Nurgle, who still do not have one), so I'm pretty surprised too. My only concern is that it looks like the Bestigors and the Ungor re-boxes are only going to be available in the Start Collecting Box?

I mean, not the biggest setback, but I don't really need several Brayshamans or Cygors / Ghorgons  ;).

The dice look great, those have to be up there with my other favorites, the Daughters of Khaine / Idoneth Dice. Not sure if I'll actually get them as 16mm dice are still a bit too unwieldy for me.

Also the Herd Stone looks like it is going to pack quite a punch on the tabletop!

I think I'm getting more excited by this release!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 09:29:02 PM »
Allegiance abilities Preview up!

Battletome: Beasts Of Chaos Preview 1 ? The Army with loads of Allegiance

I have to say, this wasn't at all what I was expecting. The Allegiance abilities and the fact that each unit maintains it's own faction abilities, the ability to take marks of chaos on top of that (You have to pay per model), plus the option to commit your force to one of three Greatbrays, and ritual sacrifice of units to summon all kinds of Beasts of Chaos, is so much more in-dept than I was expecting!!! ;D

This is so cool 8). Beasts of Chaos are definitely going to level up by several degrees when these rules hit the stores. Too bad I'm finishing my Idoneth right now ;D

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 05:06:22 AM »
I’m seriously considering starting a force of them myself.  I really am!  They’re probably easy to paint yes?

• Ancient
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 09:06:15 AM »
I’m seriously considering starting a force of them myself.  I really am!  They’re probably easy to paint yes?

It's pretty much all skin and fur, so if you have a good recipe for those, you could probably do it quickly.

I'm interested to see how the warscrolls/points changed. A lot of the units (besides Tzaangor), were fairly lackluster with their original warscrolls, so I want to see what they did to them. I know Thunderscorn held the award for worst sub-faction, as Dragon Ogres are currently hot garbage if you look at their stats. They are fantastic models too, so I'd like to see them get some love.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 03:23:38 PM »
Beasts of Chaos Preview- Part 2: Old Beasts, New Tricks - Warhammer Community

Takes away from the article:

1) Bestigors now have bonuses to hit both against hordes and ORDER forces, plus some extra attacks on the charge.
2) Bestigors now are battleline if you take a Bray Shaman.
3) Gargants are apparently better... ;)
4) Gorgons can potentially swallow entire models whole and kill them outright, but you must roll against the wound characteristic.
5) Dragon Ogors not hit on 3+ across all of their melee weapons except their claws, and also have a good number of attacks.
6)Shaggoths can increase the rend of nearby units (looking at the Dragon Ogors!)
7) Bullgors have a few extra attacks to represent their goring horns. They can also potentially inflict mortal wounds on top of their regular damage.
8)Centigors are back, and can increase the quality of their hit rolls in the hero phase.
9)Tzaangor enlightened are now cheaper if you take them on foot! (Finally!)
10) Great Bray Shamans can also reduce armor saves for an enemy unit. Also Savage Dominion is back (Nuff said!)

• Ancient
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 03:58:45 PM »
I was hoping they'd make dragon ogres damage +1. But, making them hit on a 3+  means they are still bad. Shaggoths being wizards is nice though. We'll need to see the points.

Gargants are still bad lol. Unless they drop in points a bunch again.

Changes to beatigors is very nice, as well as the extra attack from the ghorgon.

Everything else, we'll need to wait and see. Artifacts, command abilities, battalions and points will be big deciding factors.

I really want to see the endless spells rules.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 04:20:42 PM »
Guess I'm not great at converting specs on paper to actual use on the tabletop, hehe :P ;). Dragons Ogors looked okay to me, but yeah they could use a little more oomphn, they are literally half Dragon, half ogor lol.

I'm hoping that a Tzeentch marked, darkfall great bray, mixed with bestigors, lots of sacrificial ungors, and gors backed up with some enlightened and a Tzann. Shaman will be viable. Sacrifice lots of ungors to spawn out a variety of beasts in the later rounds of the game and use the darkfall ability to set them up on any board edge 9" away from the enemy. .
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 04:22:44 PM by Myen'Tal »

• Ancient
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 04:57:33 PM »
Yeah, damage 1 on the dragon ogres really hurts them. But, if they drop in points more, it won't be too bad. But, they just don't have the attacks or damage, to be much of a real threat. Hitting on 3's doesn't fix that. Hopefully some spells or abilities can help. But, it's super niche. I'm just a huge fan of the models and I want them to be good!
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 08:44:22 AM »
I have to say that Beasts are definitely looking more interesting than Ironjawz at this point. I'm still waiting on the book just like you guys, but this all looks cool to me.