News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Maximum age of a new Marine recruit..?  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
Maximum age of a new Marine recruit..?
« on: June 17, 2007, 11:15:45 AM »
So, I was just wondering if there was anything out there that stated a maximum age limit on recruiting new space marines?
We're told in various Codices that marines need to be recruited young so as to be able to take the implants; but how young exactly?

Most chapters seem to recruit from young warrior clans. Recruits will have needed to prove themselves in battle or ritual combat to be selected by the Chapter. With this in mind I would imagine that tribal societies would have warriors in mid to late teens.
Is to 25 still considered young or is that far too old?

Some chapters recruit from fairly stable areas I'm sure (ultramarines and Ultramar; barring 'nid invasion). So recruits may not have the tribal style upbringing and be 'born warriors'. Would there be time enough do you think for a man to have done a term of service in the Guard before being recruited to a Marine Chapter?

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
Re: Maximum age of a new Marine recruit..?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 11:22:31 AM »
If I recall correctly from the Index Astartes, 15-18 is about as old as they can get before starting the implantation of Gene-seed.

Term of service in the Guard?  I'd highly doubt it.  At that point they'd be getting to around Luther's age at the end of it, and he, along with many others of the Order, needed the special process of enhancements that made them pseudo-marines, a process, which if I also recall correctly, is no longer used, or know quite how to be done.
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED

Offline Lorizael

• Ancient
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 11:34:47 AM »
Hmm, is the Index Astartes still available? I'll have to peruse ebay for it methinks.

Yes, 15-18 was what I was thinking.

The reason I ask is to do more with how certain chapters recruit. They can't all recruit from feral worlds like Space Wolves, Blood Angles, Dark Angels etc.
I read that the Imperial Fists recruit from Necromunda which I assume means they recruit criminals and hive scum?
Chapters like the Ultramarines have small Empires of their own which are fairly stable. I would imagine that it would be hard to recruit men with the "right stuff" from these kind of worlds.

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 10:56:32 AM »
IIRC, The Ultramarines run training academies on Macragge and its surrounding worlds. Boys train their entire lives for a chance at becoming an Ultramarine. Presumably, the curriculum is stringent enough to produce worthy candidates.

I believe the old WD article on space marine implants said that some implants may not take in subjects which had reached full physical maturity. However, there are certainly instances where men older than 15-18 where made Astartes. For one, all the Primarches seemed to induct their friends and advisors from their homeworlds when they took command of their legions. Presumably the chapters had better control of the induction process before the disruption of the heresy and the eventual loss of the primarchs.

Offline Lorizael

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 03:16:17 PM »
IIRC, The Ultramarines run training academies on Macragge and its surrounding worlds. Boys train their entire lives for a chance at becoming an Ultramarine. Presumably, the curriculum is stringent enough to produce worthy candidates.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'll have to elaborate on that idea for my own Chapter fluff.
Do you know where you sourced that info from Magus?

I believe the old WD article on space marine implants said that some implants may not take in subjects which had reached full physical maturity. However, there are certainly instances where men older than 15-18 where made Astartes. For one, all the Primarches seemed to induct their friends and advisors from their homeworlds when they took command of their legions. Presumably the chapters had better control of the induction process before the disruption of the heresy and the eventual loss of the primarchs.

Yeah, I've just searched through the GW marine pages and 18 is the max. I think I read about the older guys being made marines in the time of the primarchs but they weren't "true" marines I think.

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 03:20:07 PM »
I'm running off memory here, but I'm pretty sure the info on Ultramarine recruiting comes from their Index Astartes article.

Offline Catachan Devil Sniper

• Bad Trader Nuff said - BANNED
  • SEIG ZEON!
    • Auzzie'z HQ (Gundam, 40K, tanks and airplane model builders talk and read about models)
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 03:23:27 PM »
i got the index astartes and it says they are from the age of 16-18.
You can take over ANY goverment with the right amount of TNT!
Vin Diesel made a go cart that ran on the hopes and dreams of orphans, it goes fast

Armies: Zeonic Guard 'Zeon's Devils', 72nd Trench Rats, D-99, Night Lords 'Razors in the Night', Imperial Fists, Emperor's Dragons (SM), Tau

Owner of a 1990 Buick Riviera, 08 Kawaski Ninja 650R Motorcycle
GS for the Xbox 360 now is 10,135 pts

Offline Two Blades as One, Samurai Ichirou

• Old men start wars; Young boys die in them.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 06:11:54 PM »
Well this now poses a problem for me because my marines take their recruits from the storm corps of their homeworld... I guess they'll just be the chapter that can do that. :-\
Still I lay cold, my soul seeks light / my eyes are tired; my heart's last fight
Around my shell of wood and cloth / trickle sound of wound and loss.
Broken voices of tears and cry's / sorrow and love for a Nation's son's life.
Mother and Father alone in thought. / Of the bravery and pain in the battle we fought.
We move slowly we three welcomed home. / A parade of silence, hands and flags wave
Above our bodies, they gather as on, / Along this highway of heroes for two seconds of light.

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 08:19:26 PM »
Statements of age requirements vary somewhat. Frequently cited is the 10-12 age range, for physical reasons. However, there are examples of people much older than that becoming Space Marines. Luther (kind of...) and Kor Phaeron are the only examples of full-grown adults becoming Marines, while Ragnar seemed to be in his late teens judging from Space Wolf.

I'd guess that 10-12 is optimal, for genetic modification (and also you have the benefit that they're still reasonably young and impressionable), but it can be pushed up to 18 or 19 and still done, albeit with more risk. Many Chapters like to wait until that age for reasons of tradition, so that the aspirant can achieve various trials first, such as fighting in combat, apprenticing to a blacksmith, killing a barbed dragon, and so forth.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline Paganus

• Celestians *HATE* Eldar Online
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 04:51:41 PM »
My Index Astartes gives 1st phase implant Secondary heart 10 - 14 years old and phase 2nd and 3rd implants 10 - 12 years old. the last phase 19th implant Carapace 16 - 18 years old.

- Paganus