News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Edition of Age of Sigmar on its Way  (Read 11932 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: New Edition of Age of Sigmar on its Way
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 05:35:05 AM »
The cycle used to be longer than it is now.

There are positives to a faster pace of change, in view of the core rules being free, since it should fix certain problems, such as the shooting while in close combat issue, faster and lead to a higher quality game more quickly.  It's not the core rules that I'm worried about in terms of updates though.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 06:51:55 AM »
The cycle used to be longer than it is now.

Not really though
Codex: Space Marines as an example:
2nd:1995
3rd:1998
4th:2004
5th:2008
6th:2013
7th:2015
8th:2017
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2018, 08:55:22 AM »
The cycle I'm referring to is the core rules, so let's compare like with like here.  Looking at Warhammer's release schedule for the core rules, the picture is thus:

First edition - 1983
Second edition - 1984
Third edition - 1987
Fourth edition - 1992
Fifth edition - 1996
Sixth edition - 2000
Seventh edition - 2006
Eighth edition 2010
Age of Sigmar 2015

Even looking at your list, the two year turn around has become a recent phenomena for rules and army supplements.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2018, 09:40:40 AM »
Regardless of length of time, all games evolve over time. AoS has been a very clean game, especially once the handbook came out and gave the game structure.

If they have tweaks and improvements to the core rules, I'd much rather see the core rules updated, than what's happening with 40k and it's endless series of Errata's and FAQs.

From what they've been saying so far, what's planning to change with AoS isn't major. Sounds more like tweaks and small updates. I'm happy to have the core rules updated to reflect this.

Sounds like the biggest changes, will be with spells (as they have those amazing models they teased yesterday to represent spells roaming the tabletop), so they will need some way to implement that. And introduction of command points. So we'll see.

Not sure how command points will be distributed, as AoS isn't a detachment based game. I really like the structure on building armies in AoS, and I dislike the detachment system in 40k. I don't mind command points, I think it's a neat system.

The only thing I miss from 40k when playing AoS are command re-rolls lol. 

Edit: From looking at the new dice on the Live Blog, what looked like dice for 'command points' are really just dice for marking effects in the game, like being on cover, running and such. But, we'll see. Terrain dice is something a long time coming though :)

June is a close target for the release, and it sounds like the new starter box will be nighthaunts and the new Stormcast chamber, as a lot of the models they teased look like mono-build models. It's nice seeing death in the starter box, as they are Beginning to be the biggest threat in the narrative right now.

We'll be getting teasers soon, so I'm looking forward to getting more information before getting too worked up.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:45:04 AM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2018, 11:22:06 AM »
If they have tweaks and improvements to the core rules, I'd much rather see the core rules updated, than what's happening with 40k and it's endless series of Errata's and FAQs.

I'm in complete agreement with you about this.  If this is the approach that they take long-term, I would be happy with that.

June is a close target for the release, and it sounds like the new starter box will be nighthaunts and the new Stormcast chamber, as a lot of the models they teased look like mono-build models. It's nice seeing death in the starter box, as they are Beginning to be the biggest threat in the narrative right now.

It's great to see the undead being represented in a starter box like this.  It certainly never happened back in the core starter set for Warhammer Fantasy.  If I knew anyone who played, I'd be tempted to buy this.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2018, 01:10:32 PM »
Yeah. I've been getting less and less excited about 40k since 8th dropped, mostly with how involved the game is with its erratas and changes all the time. I feel that everything that 40k should be doing right, AoS has gotten right from the start (or at least since handbook 1)

Have you been reading the weekly stories on the malign portants site? They are worth checking out. They give a more personal spotlight to the events in the Mortal Realms, and Death, and Nagash has been very prominent as a threat for all sides.

Chaos is an established threat, and still has a firm control of the realms, but after the realmgate wars, order has gained a solid foothold. Nagash is super pissed at the Aelves, and Sigmar (and everyone alive too, lets me honest), so I'm really enjoying this narrative. Nagash is scary, and it's coming out that way.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2018, 01:55:59 PM »
Doesn't Nagash put the frighteners on everyone?  Chaos champions and even Sigmar himself?

Also, these command points.  Are we going to be spending them on stratagems?  Because honestly, the allegiance traits that exist with (most) battletomes are like stratagems anyway, and arguably better implemented ones at that.  Based on turn number or units killed or so on rather than farming points with your army build.

Maybe there will be four lists of stratagems relating to the grand alliances, and after generating your points you can see which one you can perform that turn.

• Ancient
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2018, 02:27:49 PM »
Yeah, during the Dread Solstice campaign, Nagash held off the forces of all three other grand alliances which were invading Shyish. He could be stopped, but he was delayed, and a bunch of heroic souls trapped in Shyish were released, souls from the Age of Chaos, Myth and the World-That-Was.

I think Nagash's biggest hates are on Sigmar, Aleves and Slaanesh, as all three have 'stolen' souls of the dead, which he believes rightly belongs to him.

About Command points, and Strategems. GW has said nothing about either in their new edition promotional stuff yet. So, if they are going to be part of Age of Sigmar, it's hard to speculate how they'll be implemented. Especially, as battletomes are staying.

There was a 'CP' system introduced in malign portants, which was a universal system, with different 'lores' you chose, an you spent Prophecy Points on to use different abilities during the game. I could see that being a good way of doing it, especially if it's included in the core rules.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

• Ancient
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2018, 05:38:16 PM »
Some new bits on the new edition. Everything here sounds good to me! I'm happy for any/all of these changes.

AoS 2.0 Roundup, Confirmed and current Rumours!

Hi Everyone, i've been following the leaks and stuff very closely so I thought I would put down everything I've found out so far in the one spot so people can discuss and I can update

Confirmed

- No Shooting out of Combat
- Command point system
- All command Abilities can be used
- Persistent Spells

Rumours

- New Starter set is Stormcast Sacrosant Chamber vs Nighthaunt
- June 12th Release
- Command point systems is the same as Malign Portents (Roll D6 beginning each turn, get more points based on certain criteria, look at Pg. 50 in Malign portents book)
- No more reinforcement points, summoning will cost Command Points, e.g Nurgle will need to have enough points to summon first and then can use command points to summon, also look at Legion of Sacrment ability, this makes more sense with command point rules
- Since Maggotkin battletome this is the new standard for all armies and they were written with new rules in mind
- Starsoul maces no longer auto hit
- Artifacts now cost command points
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 05:12:09 AM »
The best piece of news in that list is definitely no shooting out of combat.  It makes sense and makes shooting units balanced.  I never forget having multiple units of mine annihilated by Flamers of Tzeentch shooting at them even though the Flamers were in close combat from turn two onwards.  No more of those shenanigans sounds good to me.

Persistent spells and the rumoured changes to reinforcement summoning seems appealing as well.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 06:26:37 AM »
It all sounds good to me.

When they say no shooting out of combat, can you still shoot at the units you’re engaged with? 

• Ancient
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 07:19:34 AM »
Unknown. It's not confirmed if there is no shooting at all, or only shooting with who you're engaged with.

I'm not expecting much of the core rules to change, just added too, so it's safe to assume retreating will kibosh shooting for the turn.

My faction has no shooting, so either way it doesn't effect me ha ha ha. :-)

Apparently the new spell models are big. The knashing teeth Model is apparently the same size as a stonehorn.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 11:54:00 AM »
Speaking of the Maw, the Ironjawz faction focus is out.  It was Slaves to Darkness yesterday.

• Ancient
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2018, 12:20:03 PM »
That article didn't really say too much, to be honest. But, I'm interested to hear more about the persistent spells. Apparently the teaser tomorrow will talk about the hero phase. 

Also, someone has apparently confirmed the new starter box is the new Stormcast chamber vs nighthaunts. Looks to be including all of the new models they showed at Warhammer Fest.

Faeit 212: Warhammer 40k News and Rumors: The Contents of the 2nd Edition Age of

Looks comparable to the Dark Imperium box. I could easily see the new AoS box being the same price as the 40k starter with those models and a hardcover rulebook included. Both miniature lines do like like they are mono-build, which would be the case if they are in a starter box (takes up less space on the spruce). Both look fantastic, and I'd be hard pressed to decide which one I'd like more!
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2018, 06:34:58 PM »
So now we know how command points and abilities will work.

I like this system.  You can only fit so many battalions into your list so spamming should be limited.  And now some characters will become more important.  I'm thinking of the Aspiring Deathbringer for example.  He has a decent command ability, but since the Mighty Lord's one is better, it would never be used until now.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 06:36:05 PM by Calamity »

• Ancient
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 07:16:19 PM »
Yeah. There are so many characters with cool abilities, who'll never be your general. This system is awesome.

Battalions are really hard to take as well, so it's a nice trade off for taking them.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2018, 06:48:15 AM »
I'm still not the biggest fan of the command point system.  To me, it just adds an extra tier of rules that are not really needed.  That said, if they are going to continue with it, this seems like a decent way of managing the system.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2018, 07:23:47 AM »
Yeah it's a simple system that shouldn't be too hard to manage.  I'd use little coins or tokens to manage mine.  At present, the only Overlord character with a command ability anyway is the Admiral, who'll likely be my general, so I'll barely even deal with the system.

• Ancient
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2018, 07:55:50 AM »
It'll add another layer of universal abilities onto the game, but it seems like a very simple mechanic so shouldn't be hard to manage.

Calamity, I feel you. My Flesh Eaters have effectively no command abilities, that's one part of the hero phase I skip lol.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2018, 01:35:43 PM »
@ Killersquid

Really?  I’m surprised by that...but then again, they were an early faction weren’t they?

Also, I was waiting for today’s faction focus...then I realised that it was Saturday.  :P