News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My new Tau army (1500pts, criticism needed)  (Read 773 times)

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
My new Tau army (1500pts, criticism needed)
« on: March 23, 2008, 02:12:13 PM »
Ok i havn't tried Tau out in a while but i decided to muster a force as a side project of my chaos. This is my take-all-comers 1500pts list:

HQ

Shas'el commander suit, HW multi-tracker, twin linked missile pod, plasma rifle, stimulant injector 103

I took this guy basically because i needed him, he'll probably be supporting a fire warrior squad or helping to lay fire on an objective. I was contemplating giving him a failsafe detector and just running him in with a kroot squad so he can fall back and explode ;D

Troops

Fire warrior x12, Shas'la, markerlight, bonding knife   145

Decent, reliable fire power. I was thinking of dropping one for a big kroot squad but they could only protect and support one other squad so i went with a third fire warrior squad just for an extra marker light and 12 more shots. I am not sure about arming them with carbines or rifles?!?!?!

Elites

Stealth Shas'ui x2, Shas'vre    100

Stealth Shas'ui x2, Shas'vre    100

I love these guys, almost impossible to see. They are made to take take objectives, attack prized enemy units and cause havoc. Should i use them together or split them up? Light infantry killing.

Fast attack

Pathfinders x7, Shas'ui, bonding knife, Rail rifle+Target lock x3, /w devilfish + disruption pod 226

Seemed like a good choice, easy MEQ hunting with the rail rifles and pinning down enemy squads. After i have used the tank i can take my fire warriors around the board when they are down to 10 men (cant i?) and/or try and tankshock low moralled troops away from objectives or into line of fire.

Gun drone x6    72

I am planning to use these as a life line, deep strike behind a fast moving enemy so they either charge me and my other men can get away or they can keep moving but be fired upon by these guys.

Heavy Support

Broadside x2,av. stability system x2,    160

Mobile (kinda) fire power, made for tank killing and heavy infantry like terminators.

Sky ray, smart missile system, disruption pods, target array, multi-tracker   165

Ok i am really banking on this tank staying alive as its my best tank/heavy infantry hunter. One question though, since seeker missiles dont need line of sight i could fire a fire warrior marker light at the enemy then shoot with the sky ray without actually being able to see it, through terrain?

Hammer head, ion cannon, smart missile system, multi-tracker, disruption pods, seeker missile   130

MEQ killing really, also its good for killing heavy weapon teams.

So what do you think? My next 40k game will probably be 1,000/1,500/2,000 point games. A threee way fight between me, dark angels and tyranids. Any tactics on fighting these?

Offline int main()

• Crouching Broadside,Hidden Stealthsuit
Re: My new Tau army (1500pts, criticism needed)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 04:20:04 PM »
Shas'el commander suit, HW multi-tracker, twin linked missile pod, plasma rifle, stimulant injector 103

De-twinlinking the missile pod and taking a targeting array would be better since the improved BS benefits both weapons whereas TLing only benefits one. Many would tell you to drop the stims, but having the exact same shas'el as countless other people out there can be rather boring, and fun toys are fun to have.

I was contemplating giving him a failsafe detector and just running him in with a kroot squad so he can fall back and explode

Yeah, that's definitely something you do for teh lulz. This is seldomly done though, as this kinda thing usually doesn't help you win.

And it's the Kroot who falls back, not the commander.
Fire warrior x12, Shas'la, markerlight, bonding knife   145

Perfectly fine as they are. I suggest all rifles, carbines and markerlights together are a no-no as one is a heavy weapon and the other is an assault weapon...add in their extremely different ranges and you now know why I said all rifles.

Stealth Shas'ui x2, Shas'vre    100

Stealth Shas'ui x2, Shas'vre    100

A shas'vre is pointless as its main benefits are improved WS and I, and you should not even be making use of those. I'd suggest you combine the 2 into a 6-man squad and take team leader+bonding knife instead of shas'vre. 3 Stealths by themselves aren't actually very dangerous, it's when you've got 5 or 6 when they start to bring the pain.

Pathfinders x7, Shas'ui, bonding knife, Rail rifle+Target lock x3, /w devilfish + disruption pod 226

Seemed like a good choice, easy MEQ hunting with the rail rifles and pinning down enemy squads. After i have used the tank i can take my fire warriors around the board when they are down to 10 men (cant i?) and/or try and tankshock low moralled troops away from objectives or into line of fire.

Firstly, a disruption pod should not be your defensive upgrade of choice. SMF is even better as it grants you the same benefit as the pods but without the need for a 4+. D. pods only come into use when your vehicle gets stunned or you get shot on turn 1 before you can move. Decoy launchers should come first, cheap and useful.

Now you're going to find that the Devilfish for Pathfinders is rather pointless as they should not even be using it in the 1st place barring exceptional circumstances as both markerlights and rail rifles are heavy weapons. It is also a dedicated transport and cannot transport any squad other than the pathfinders they come with, and no, a Devilfish's capacity is 12 Tau and/or drones not 10, Tau are not CSM, you have to stop thinking that Devilfishes are Rhinos. Some people choose to make it a Warfish, give it the SMS, targeting array and all that and use it as a light gunship of sorts. Some choose to give it only decoys either to keep a perceived deadweight as cheap as possible, or even to use them as mobile terrain like me(fly into position on turn 1, if you don't get shot down immediately use landing gear on the spot and voila! It now blocks LOS. if they shoot it down, even better...it starts to block their LOS earlier and they have to use their own firepower on it. Very annoying for gunline armies)

As for the Pathfinders themselves, you should make them 8 man, especially since you're using 3 rail rifles. 4 markerlights aren't enough.

Broadside x2,av. stability system x2,    160

Mobile (kinda) fire power, made for tank killing and heavy infantry like terminators.

At 1.5k pts you'd find that there are enough lascannons and such about that these guys need shield drones, especially if you're going to shuffle about as ASS implies you would.

Sky ray, smart missile system, disruption pods, target array, multi-tracker   165

You should switch the pods for decoys, but fine otherwise. See what i said about your Pathfinder Devilfish.

One question though, since seeker missiles dont need line of sight i could fire a fire warrior marker light at the enemy then shoot with the sky ray without actually being able to see it, through terrain?

Yes, that is correct.

Hammer head, ion cannon, smart missile system, multi-tracker, disruption pods, seeker missile

Once again, switch pods for decoys. Needs a target lock here, Hammerheads always need it due to the large difference between its main and secondary weapons. Also, I think you're better served with a railgun here, only your XV88s are capable of dealing with AV13 and 14 well.

And your points cost for this guy is wrong.

...dark angels and tyranids. Any tactics on fighting these?

I'm kinda tired now so nothing comes to mind at the moment. Besides, it's hard to say much without knowing the exact variety of DA or Nids(Deathwing,Ravenwing,Doublewing,Nidzilla,Swarm,etc). All I can tell you right now is generic stuff that would apply to most gunline armies(which yours is)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 04:37:27 PM by int main() »
Burn the Sister of Battle.
Kill the Space Marine.
Purge the Grey Knight.
Destroy the Imperium.
Let the Galaxy burn!

Offline nurgle5

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 04:48:50 PM »
Personally, I'd break the fire warrior units into groups of 6. More scoring units, less obvious targets for enemy firepower. I'd also take lots of mini Vespid units to hold up the enemy, but then again a personal taste.

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 04:58:18 PM »
HQ

Shas'el commander suit, HW multi-tracker, twin linked missile pod, plasma rifle, stimulant injector   107

Troops

Elites

Stealth shas'ui x6, shas'vre, bonding knife   195

Fast attack

Pathfinders x8, Shas'ui, bonding knife, Rail rifle+Target lock x3, /w devilfish + decoy launchers 226

Heavy support

Broadside x2,av. stability system x2, shield drone x2   190

Sky ray, smart missile system, decoy launchers, target array, multi-tracker   165

Hammer head, ion cannon, smart missile system, multi-tracker, decoy launchers, target lock 180

Total: 1498

Ok changes made, any other critisms. My Dark Angels opponent is un-predictable, usually very shoot. On the other hand my 'nids opponent uses: 9 warriors (a mix of shooty/CC), hormagaunts (10 or 20), flyrant, two shooty carnifexes and the rest are spent in extremely geared 'stealers

I also think that breaking up the fire warriors would work well but how would i afford the marker lights and bonding knives for 6 squads?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 04:59:45 PM by watty »

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 10:55:42 PM »
Stealth shas'ui x6, shas'vre, bonding knife   195

Make him a team leader, a Shas’vre won’t save you when they’re caught. If you ever want hard-wired equipment or bonding on suits, go for team leaders. They’re half the upgrade price.

Pathfinders x8, Shas'ui, bonding knife, Rail rifle+Target lock x3, /w devilfish + decoy launchers 226

Pathfinders are support units, and Pathfinders are squishy. Them laying low and getting the least amount of attention possible helps them support longer, blowing MEQ heads off doesn’t exactly do that.

Broadside x2,av. stability system x2, shield drone x2   190

They need a team leader to take those Shield Drones.

I also think that breaking up the fire warriors would work well but how would i afford the marker lights and bonding knives for 6 squads?

I’d suggest making them 8 strong instead of 6, otherwise they’re too squishy and small to do anything. Overall you’d lose 4 Fire Warriors, but all your squads would be identical, you’d have another scoring unit and you would have the points to make your Broadsides legal.

My Dark Angels opponent is un-predictable, usually very shoot.

Try and make it so that your army takes on a portion of his on early game, then move onto the rest as the game develops. You don't really have much in terms of mobility for the bulk of your firepower, but you could feed him your Devilfish to stall the non-engaged part from coming and helping the rest and lure him into your killzone.

On the other hand my 'nids opponent uses: 9 warriors (a mix of shooty/CC), hormagaunts (10 or 20), flyrant, two shooty carnifexes and the rest are spent in extremely geared 'stealers

Shoot the fast stuff first.

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 05:36:26 AM »
Ok tweaked army, i think this is alot better and more points efficient.

HQ

Shas'el commander suit, HW multi-tracker, twin linked missile pod, plasma rifle, stimulant injector   107   

TROOPS

Fire warrior x8, Shas'la, markerlight, bonding knife   105   

ELITES

Stealth shas'ui x6, team leader, bonding knife   190

FAST ATTACK

Pathfinders x8, team leader, bonding knife, Rail rifle+Target lock x3, /w devilfish + decoy launchers 226

HEAVY SUPPORT

Broadside x2,av. stability system x2, shield drone x2, team leader   195

Sky ray, smart missile system, decoy launchers, target array, multi-tracker, disruption pod   170

Hammer head, railgun, smart missile system, multi-tracker, decoy launchers, target lock, disruption pod   185
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:55:20 AM by watty »

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 05:48:05 AM »
Does your Hammerhead have an ion cannon or railgun? If ion, it's quite overpriced.

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 05:55:04 AM »
rail gun sorry, its just that my spread sheet didn't save properly.

My bad...wait no...Microsofts bad

:P