News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Aliens  (Read 1298 times)

Offline AceV53

Aliens
« on: August 12, 2002, 06:01:08 PM »
     Why is it that almost all depictions of aliens have two legs, two arms, a chest, a head with however many eyes? How their overall physical stance or stature is similar to a human. Most of the movies/books/tv shows I've seen show them in a human related form. It's kinda dumb for drunkin people to say they've seen an alien or have been abducted by one and describe them in this fashion. There should be more creativity as to how aliens (if there are any) might look. They could be gas, liquid, huge, tiny, etc... Right now The Blob has the most imagination in it (there may be others but that's off the top of my head). Signs kinda pushed it with their alien who looks like a drunkin dude that fell in a swamp and got out all crazed.
     What do you think an alien would look like?
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton (1885-1945)

"All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work."
-Steve Martin in Sergeant Bilko

Offline Halberd-Blue

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Long Live C'Nesha
    • Lord of the Universe's Website
Re:Aliens
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2002, 06:05:51 PM »
Yeah well, the people with alien experiences would be lieing if they said the appearence of the alien wrong.

For example, in Star Trek we have the Hydrans, 3 legged, 3 armed, 3 eyed creatures.  Now how is The Blob more original than that?

Then we got the Gorn, 3 different races that all look very much alike, and are all reptilian like

Both of those are more original than the blob.
"The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal."

Offline Addinarr

• First Venge Mod
  • Ancient
  • Fall for a moment
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2002, 06:45:44 PM »
Because it's difficult to walk in any costume that's not bi-pedial.

When wrong, to be made right.
When right, to be kept right.

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2002, 12:11:54 AM »
Hmph... darn narcissistic humans... just another reason to play Tyranids...

Still, it's amazing how little imagination many people have these days. Also, it might be argued that evolution tends to make creatures evolve this way... but I don't think so.
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline Insidious Heresy

• General, Hero of Medusa V
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2002, 03:43:52 AM »
Sandman said it... the reasonwhy a lot of aliens in movies are bipedal and human looking is because it is easiest to make costumes for them... I thought that the Arachnids from Starship Troopers had a pretty original design.

Offline crackjoy

• I can quit whenever I want!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2002, 12:53:59 PM »
i actually stoped watching star trek cuz all the aliens looked like ppl with diff make up.  actually the one ep that clinched had aliens that, get this, were half painted black, half painted white.  amazing!
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Offline hatboy15

• My bretheren rally to my banner!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2002, 03:43:08 PM »
umm my alien would be hot! ;D she would be part of a all female race that needs me to give my gene seed to their race. all of them equally hot. ::)

i know this has been on a star trek episode once or twice, but mine would actually be hot. yeah umm alright.
WinMX, Kazaa, Cable Connection, CD-RW... all the tools needed to break the law. of course i dont use any of 'em, no not at all.

Exacto Knife:$5, Blister Pack:$8, Green Stuff:$10, 13 Band-aids:$1, Totally kick a$$ Asurman conversion: priceless

Offline Insidious Heresy

• General, Hero of Medusa V
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2002, 02:52:29 PM »
about the one about the half painted black and othe half white i believe that was made becuase the race was having some issues excepting eachother (people with black on right side and white on left didn't get alon with black on left side and white on right)  and you still have to remember the practical side of things.. i mean you try and build a costume that is totally in-human and have an actor walk in it... its not like they had CGI back then or anything

Offline Morrinath

• I have seen the future...and it's egg shaped!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2002, 07:00:52 PM »
On top of that, every alien we think of has to have some form of base that we're familiar with because we don't have a clue what anything else would look like. I quite like the aliens in the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. Like the hi-tech alien invasion fleet that was accidently eaten by a small dog, or the designer for the starship heart of gold who was a super-intelligent shade of the colour blue, or that mice are actually a pan-dimensional master race.
“Always forgive your enemies, nothing will annoy them more.” (Oscar Wilde)

“Knowledge consists of knowing that a tomato is a fruit and wisdom consists of not putting it in a fruit salad.” (Miles Kington)

“There is one thing more powerful than all the armies in the world and that is an idea whose time has come” (Anonymous)“

“To fight and win a hundred battles, this is not the acme of skill. But to subdue your enemy without landing a blow, this is the acme of skill.” (Sun Tzu)

Offline SledgeHammer

• Listen to Papa bear's message.
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2002, 07:05:34 PM »
They look just like my Dad.
"Give me a hundred Space Marines.
Or failing that, give me a thousand other troops."

Offline BoyProdigy

• Pirate Prince
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Still rocking your world!
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2002, 08:12:07 PM »
There is just one thing you have to remember. If there are aliens maybe we will never make contact with them because they are so alien we won't even be able to understand that it's life. To be able to find aliens and make contact with them we have to understand what life is and that is something we may never know.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2002, 11:11:08 PM by BoyProdigy »

Offline Spacewolf

• I am all that is evil. But you can call me cookie
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2002, 10:31:51 PM »
 A large problem is people have a hard time picturing out of the bipedal being able to work. I have seen alien with out legs but its the arms that most people need. They have a hard time visualize a creature manipulating any thing with out arms hands or fingers. This is ofter supported by watching nature. We see Arms and Hands with opposable thumbs being the best at making tools and manipulating. Tenacles being the only other that can come close to them. So I think that the media appeals to that aspect.

Offline Wulf

• w00f! 133t cl06673 2 th3 r35-Q!
    • Penny Arcade!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2002, 03:57:37 PM »
What about aliens that can move stuff with their minds, and manipulate gravity? And they look just like halflings!
"In the word's of a most eloquent Seer I once knew: 'LET'S KILL STUFF!'"

Offline Spacewolf

• I am all that is evil. But you can call me cookie
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2002, 09:47:35 PM »
As I stated this is for most people, here on this board most of us are use to think outside the box in this area but your average person does not.

Offline crazedman0528

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2002, 11:37:43 PM »
I belive there are many aliens because I mean IT would be a waste of space (litarealy) if there are aliens look at it this way we have had televison and raido for about 60 years and in that time the signals go threw space in a sprial until they deterate and break down but if there are aliens with in the area our bradcast have covered then they ethier cant send a message back because they dont have the technology to do it. they dont want to, they have and the message hasent reached us yet or there is a goverment cover up ( I know sounds like I am paranode but it might be true!) thats my theroy
War is the expression of all living things in there most basic form.

Offline Halberd-Blue

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Long Live C'Nesha
    • Lord of the Universe's Website
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2002, 08:49:34 AM »
Well I think we all know that aliens are real, right?

It is said that for every grain of sand there is on this planet, there is a star.  And that includes the sand that is underwater.

That is a huge amount of stars.  Probably fill up all the books printed in the world with 9's, and then still not be enough!!

Well anyway, the Hydrans from Star Trek are still original.  Very ugly, but original  :D

What they need is tree people!  Not ent-people or treant-people but aliens that look exactly like trees.  Or one eyed one horned flying purple people eaters...

My friend and I made up a race of Flying Furniture.  The older ones were couches, bed and such, while the younger ones were plastic chairs.  And they all flew!

I write comics of a guy named Eyeman.  Now he is quite weird looking and I'll probably make everyone think he looks different than everyone else thinks because he looks so weird, but he kinda a flying rectangular-like shape.  With two connected curly-q's on each on of the rectangular like shape, and then a bridge connecting the top of the curly-q's  Then a bunch of eyeballs come out of him, and he can grow more at will.  He has a bunch of slaves that look like triangles missing the bottom and a line hanging from the top.  The eat at the ground, digging to the bracelet of power in the center of the planet.  Slaves are found in outer space and all the creatures have slaves driving space ships to go out into space and find more slaves.  Lots of slaves can be traded in for more powerful slaves.  He has enemies like FaceMan, a face, and the ruler of the planet, Emporer.

I made it all up when I was 9, though.  I still draw him though.

Come to think of it, this would be a good starcraft scenario.
"The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal."

tsalonich

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2002, 11:31:55 AM »

Part of the reason people go to movies, is to be able to identify with the characters.  To share in their adventures and to feel sadness at their defeats.  Most of the aliens have humanoid qualities so that we are able to identify with them.  

He's not such a bad guy for an alien.

If you look, the dangerous aliens are usually tipified by ones that look comletely differant.  People fear things they can not understand or things that they are unable to identify with.  

This is why people are so upset and picket when doliphin get caught in Tuna nets, but don't give a damn about the tuna that are caught in those same nets.

Offline Lanorel

• My jetpack is custard powered
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2002, 11:02:44 AM »
Well, i'm not worried about the existance of aliens, i'm more worried about when they might (have) exist(ed). The universe is billions of years old, yes? Humans have existed for a couple of thousands years, yes? The universe will probably exist at least a couple of billion years more, yes? You fill in the blanks...
If it wasn't for a certain disaster that wiped out most of the life on Earth, there might've been an intelligent race here some 60 million years ago...

As for how aliens might look, i'm not even gonna begin to speculate. Since we don't even know if other life would be carbon-based, (dunno if that's the correct term), they could probably look like anything. And be any size, that depending on the size/gravity of the planet.

Offline Wandering Spirit

• I Can't Believe I ate the Whole Thing!
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2002, 11:13:09 AM »
it kind of makes you think though don't it? if there had not been a big dissaster years and years ago, the population of earth today could have been space faring Lizard men! im sure aliens are real, some of them may have even played themselves as gods to uor ancestors, you never Know do you, i mean look at all that wierd history the Egyptions had involving alien races (im not saying they did, so dont quote me on it!) but i cant believe some people can be so ignorant to not even consider that there may be life on other planets and that we didnt just win one hell of an intergalactic lotery and become the only system with life, take a look at mars, they found fosilisd bacteria on there!

aliens are real, get used to it!
Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking questions we find answers, through those answers we gain greater knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us.

Our people stopped asking questions once before and our complacency all but destroyed us.

That must never happen again.

Offline high-avatar

• It has come for you
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2002, 12:12:58 PM »
And both in medievil times and before their are written and artists accounts of numerous UFO sightings allthough a vast majority can now be explained eg Ball lighting!!! how do explain big floating eyes other Europe???

And have any of you heard of the 'Rod' phenonana (sp)???

Ps Wandering Spirt have you been watching Stargate again??? :D although it is completly plausable that the old cultures where influenced by Aliens!! as shown by the markings in some desert ( Ican't remember which one) in the States just like landing strips and directions!!

I did have something else but I forgot it..  >:(
Everything that has a begining must have an end, I see the end I see the Darkness spreading I see Death.