News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Are Grey Knights right for me?  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Lofton

Are Grey Knights right for me?
« on: April 17, 2013, 02:29:43 PM »
I havent played much fifth edition and wonder if the GK are what I am looking for. I liked the old GK and wanted to make an army of terminators with land raiders etc. I don't want the op purifier spam i hear about. I just want an any that has a chance to win. Ia that possible with a termy list or should i look elsewhere. I thought about just buying some gk and converting into cool looking black templar termies who i also.liked the looks of.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 02:33:02 PM by Lofton »

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Are Grey Knights right for me?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 07:18:51 PM »
Well, GK can take Terminators as troops, without needing to use a special character, so that might be a selling point. By the time you buy a Land Raider, you could have bought twice as many Terminators, so if you're planning to make them your only troop choice, you're probably going to not want to do that.

Other than that... GK's seem like they have more limited support options than other armies. Off the top of my head, Orks can use Terminator-like troops, by taking Meganobs as troops with a Warboss, and they have quite a few fun support units. DA can take Termies as troops, but I think you need to take a Special Character in order to do that? They would have access to most, if not all, of the cooler support elements that Marines get access to. Another bonus is that they appear to be able to be much more flexible in their Terminator equipment. I think Space Wolves can also take dudes in Terminator armour as troops, but that needs a special character as well.

On the whole, I think I would suggest playing DA if you want to go all Termie troops. They would have a Codex designed for 6th, lots of fun new toys, and they're the originators of "Termies as Troops."

Of course, if it's the models that pull you in, then you gotta go that route. ;)

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 02:11:06 PM »
 If you like close quarters fire fights followed by assaults then GK termies are for you. They excel at the mid-close range fight as all their guns are 24" range and assault save for the psilencer, which kinda sucks. They are slow on foot though, so if you play versus a mobile shooty are like DE/Eldar/Tau then you'll have some troubles. A Land Raider Crusader is a good choice to deliver a unit of termies/Paladins into the heart of your enemy though, and Dreadnoughrs can provide long range support.
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

Offline Holier than thou

• Praise the Emperor (or he'll kick your *%#).
  • Armies: Grey Knights (since 2006, not a band-wagon jumper)
« Reply #3 on: May 1, 2013, 05:33:29 PM »
If you like close quarters fire fights followed by assaults then GK termies are for you. They excel at the mid-close range fight as all their guns are 24" range and assault save for the psilencer, which kinda sucks.

Not quite as sucky as you think, remember that Terminators can move, fire and assault with heavy weapons. They are probably the only unit you should consider giving Psilencers to as the high rate of fire is quite useful when you don't have to worry about the aforementioned drawback however a Psycannon is probably always a better option.

Repent and ye shall be forgiven.
Sin again and, verily, I shall bring the hurt!