News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Converting Splinter Cannon to Dark Lance Tutorial  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Czar

Converting Splinter Cannon to Dark Lance Tutorial
« on: April 22, 2007, 09:46:22 PM »
I know there have been other topics on this, but I decided to 'write up' my method with extensive diagrams in the hope people will never be confused again. Note this method will need a decent amount of careful cutting (though not necessarily skill). Hence a sharp craft knife is essential. A file of some kind is also useful but the 'filing' can be done with a knife too if you are careful. A little putty/greenstuff is also needed, though again, no special skills with it are required. Hope this is useful to some people out there and maybe it could be added to some sort of FAQ on the subject if there is one! Oh, and the only stuff used is the plastic warrior set, obviously.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 02:50:40 PM by Xzamuel »

Offline Rookie2788

• Realm of Runes
Re: Converting Splinter Cannon to Dark Lance Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 12:12:19 AM »
awesome tutorial, possible sticky? ;)

I used my extra scourge models with Lances for some of my warriors as well =D

I will definitely do this next time i need a DL tho
WANT TO PLAY WARHAMMER ONLINE?
VISIT REALM OF RUNES FOR MORE INFO:
http://s7.invisionfree.com/Realm_of_Runes/index.php?
(Go to the articles section)

Offline Scorn

• Supreme Archon of Commorragh | Nasty Sky Juice | Title (and/or) Whore |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 01:35:42 AM »
It's been linked to in the Useful/Important Threads sticky.
Rejoice.  Despair. 
Fate does not care.
Each knotted mind entwined. 
Each soul another's bind.
And blind though we are led. 
In time we do know when, to cut a thread.
-Erfworld

Offline IncubiLord

• Archon
  • Self-Proclaimed Incubi Master of the CoA
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 05:23:44 AM »
Nice pics. Did you make the base image yourself?

In proper DE fashion, I will now steal that image as the core for making a Splinter Rifle to Splinter Pistol diagram.

1) Get a Splinter Rifle - while I prefer the one without a stock, most are fine.
I'd suggest staying away from the one held off to the side of the body, because removing the stock will require extensive rebuilding of the inside of the arm (as opposed to just the lower arm if you screw up).

2) Cut the barrel off at a slight downwards angle, cutting just after the fifth barrel-spike from the arm.

3) Trim off the fifth barrel-spike and the bottom line along the barrel.

4) Cut off the barrel just inside of the connecting segment - do not discard - and then cut off the connecting segment, making the cut along the line of the fourth under-the-rifle bump. You will damage the large jewel-thing on the outside of the gun.

5) Cut off the damaged jewel-thing and glue on the (now shorter) barrel-section.

6) Trim down the bump up at the back of the rifle so that it slopes away from the arm.
If you chose a rifle with a stock, carefully clean it off of the arm.

The resulting pistol is still a bit bigger than the one from the sprue, but it's small enough to be a passable long-barreled pistol. For the proper length, you'd have to cut the barrel off another barrel-spike in, but that also would require trimming the connecting segment away from a portion of the bottom to get a decent appearance.

The early attempt at something simple tends to be stopping after step 3, but that looks too big to me - an appearance I've started calling a splinter shotgun.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 05:27:13 AM by IncubiLord »

Just blame IncubiLord - Kwi

Offline Czar

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 07:34:45 AM »
Nice pistol tutorial too! And yes I did make that diagram myself, which is why parts of it are a bit out of scale. The resulting Dark Lance looks a little shorter than the stock ones, but IMO the fact that it is shoulder mounted easily distinguishes it from the Splinter Cannons.

I'm going to take some photographs of the Dark Lance Warriors I've made and armed in this way tonight, and I'll post them up so people can see what they look like. It'd be cool if you had a photo of your splinter pistol guys but I'm guessing it would be near-indistinguishable anyway!

All we need now is a nice diagram for Shredder to Blaster! ;D

Offline Naikee

• Wych
  • Dear, dear..
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 03:42:53 PM »
or splinter rifle to blaster.

awesome tutorial both of you  :)

"Death is my meat, terror my wine."

Current w/d/l with my Slaanesh HOC: 3/1/0
last game against vampire counts 2500