News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Gitz RRRRR Done... Kontest  (Read 11832 times)

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
Gitz RRRRR Done... Kontest
« on: July 1, 2014, 08:08:31 PM »
Welcome back boyz....  seems most of you like your fellow bosses have went into hybernation.  So we got our long sought after codex and what better way to bring it in then with a kontest....   

Since we are the orks and we are the best it is time to make them green with envy. 

From now until July 31 we will run the contest.   This will encourage you to keep a log by your posts of your work in progress and of course encourage others or challenge them to really bring the new codex in.   

This is the time to start your new projects as well as complete some of the old dusty models that didn't get their turn at a fancy paint job. 

Here is the scorecard...
Painting
-1 pt for painted and based infantry model (nobs, boys, grots)
-3 pts for kans, kopters
-5 pts for dreads, trukks, planes, character models (painboy, weirdboy, big mek, warboss, named characters)
-7 pts for battlewagon, morkanaut, gorkanaut
-20 pts for stompa

***Scratch builds and conversions will DOUBLE above point values if the konversion is done during the month.... no additional points for previously done konversions needing a paint job.

Battle reports posted in the proper place with a link back to here are worth 10 points.   

Bonus points can also be earned for Max infantry unit squads..... 

Bosses will be able to award additional points during the competition or at the end.

So what are you waiting for, we got the new dex, some awesome new models, and I am sure a lot of unfinished ones as well.....

Boyz lets get to work

To compete all you need to do is post your plans and what projects you are starting with, you can add additional as the month goes on or as the projects get close to completion.

Post Merge: July  1, 2014, 08:27:21 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

For my project I recently purchased some nicely used storm boyz.   They were one of the two units I didn't own for my orks army.... the second being Flash Gitz, which i ended up getting a box of..

So for my project I have 15 storm boyz built and primed black I plan on painting.   If time prevails I might add on a bare metal Odd Boy and my new flash gitz which are new in box.  But for now...  the storm boyz.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2014, 08:27:21 PM by angel of death 007 »

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: Gitz RRRRR Done... Kontest
« Reply #1 on: July 2, 2014, 10:28:09 AM »
Of course I am in.  ;D

However, since I am still finding all the hidden new rules of how the army works, I haven't decided on any new units yet.

I am going to convert one of my existing KFF big meks to have the "Dead Shiny Shoota", and the other one to have a rockit launcha (since big meks can't have burnas anymore  :'( )  will that count as at least a toof or two?
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #2 on: July 2, 2014, 05:36:24 PM »
With the loss of bike troops, nob troops, and even deffdred troops, I need some more ork boyz, so I might try and get some of those done. But this weekend I simply have to get some plastic MANZ, so I'll start with those.

Yellow is the new Green . . .

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: July 2, 2014, 07:07:38 PM »
Of course I am in.  ;D

However, since I am still finding all the hidden new rules of how the army works, I haven't decided on any new units yet.

I am going to convert one of my existing KFF big meks to have the "Dead Shiny Shoota", and the other one to have a rockit launcha (since big meks can't have burnas anymore  :'( )  will that count as at least a toof or two?

I am sure you have some projects laying around that you could spend some time finishing.   Your mek's workshop is as bad and as crazy as mine....  so no slacking boss....  two measley konversions is hardly fitting you have had plenty of time for rest....  time to lead by example.  ;)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 3, 2014, 05:07:55 AM »
I may still be waiting on my codex, but I'm not waiting on this!  Consider this to be my sign up, I've been sketching out  a plan on a nice Scratchbuild for the Big Morker in the Sky, in the end it may not be a LGW legal model, but this idea is too good for me not to.  (At the moment I have no plans to actually use a Morkanaught, but I'm a nutter and I'm gonna build one anyway).

I'm sure that when my book stops being lost in the warp mail they'll be plenty for me to grumble and build/paint/rebuild, but for the time being I'm gonna stick to working on a Big guy.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #5 on: July 3, 2014, 12:35:24 PM »
Of course I am in.  ;D

I am sure you have some projects laying around that you could spend some time finishing.   Your mek's workshop is as bad and as crazy as mine....  so no slacking boss....  two measley konversions is hardly fitting you have had plenty of time for rest....  time to lead by example.  ;)

Yes, you are right. When I get my stuff unpacked this coming week, and if she who must be obeyed allows, I will find my newest plane kit (still in box) and make me an uber dakka jet, as I do neeeeeeeed anti air ability. I will make it look like the fighter ace type plane, and his whole job will be shooting down enemy flyers.

Pictures will be forthcoming as soon as I find the boxes and the stuff. (remember, I just moved across the state, all my stuff is now out of storage and piled in my new house)

"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 3, 2014, 05:11:31 PM »
I personally can't wait to see what stuff you do to that plane Skeetergod, and best of with the unpack!  I'm still trying to sort through stuff and my last move was three or four years ago (I must be over the hill, times moving way too quick to stay ontop of stuff like that!)

As for myself, I'm proud to be doing my first Projekt Update
3 hours in...

From a casual glance this isn't a lot of work, but then with a beginning starting point you have to look closer.  Each of those scratch Russ Sides are already built up to width spec of the GW originals (each being 3 sized cutouts thick of card), a beat up and heavily scratched up Kan body with some piping sitting nicely through it (big plans for that!), a bit of kan sized pipe cut for either an elbow or shoulder joint, a couple odd looking triangles (that already give me an Orky smile), and of course the main body of a Russ.

So yup, this is a great start towards my own Big Morker, a Morkanaught styled Russbot!  I've always felt that the Russ was one of the best iconic 40k models (hence why I use Russ bits in just about every scratchbuild and konversion), but I've never done the Russbot before, and with the Morkanaught rules fitting so close to a T to the Russbot concept, I just couldn't help myself.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about with a Russbot, let me give a bit of backstory.  Many years ago 40konline had this amazing scratchbuilder going by the name of Krooza, and one of his most impressive unique ideas/builds was the Russbot.  At the time (3rd Edition Ork codex days) we could directly loot from the IG codex, but Krooza being even more of a konverzion nutball than I, took the Leman Russ to the next level.  He turned his looted Russ into a robot, practically a mini Stompa on treads (and this was in the days before Stompas had 'real' 40k rules).  I may no longer have a pic of his monsterously cool konversion, but I have never forgotten it.  Krooza may be long gone as a poster, but his stuff was more inspirational to me than I can put to words.  This build is a huge homage to that first Russbot, and I'm definately raising my glass to Krooza, not only for inventing the concept, but for the inspiration to be the best scratchbuilder I can be.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: July 3, 2014, 09:34:39 PM »
So I got in the mail 4 more storm boys and a metal zags from ebay.   Price was right someone tried to put a little paint on them without priming them.   Not enough to really warrant them to be stripped I think I will just prime over them. 

So I am going to add them to my pledge.   puts me up to 19 storm boyz and zags.   I wonder what happened to the 5th one in the group?  I would say he might have got lost in the warp, either that or he is trying to find OD's lost codex.   

On a side note i am trying to hold off to see what kinda set they come out with.   They are supposed to put one out this week for preorder but we will see.   Otherwise I already got the go ahead from my she who must be obeyed to order my birthday gift....  and what perfect timing.  Thinking (Codex, maybe Ghaz supplement, Gorkanaut, Mega Nobz, Painboy, I might get a mek gun but those prices are really bugging me for something that is so easy to scratch build).

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 4, 2014, 03:37:57 AM »
So I am going to add them to my pledge.   puts me up to 19 storm boyz and zags.   I wonder what happened to the 5th one in the group?  I would say he might have got lost in the warp, either that or he is trying to find OD's lost codex.   
I'm not the sterotypical "net-dude" so when I say that I laughed out loud, I mean it.  I never order things online but I figured since there wasn't any chance I'd make it to the LGW on the weekend and they're closed on Mon and Tues I'd get it delivered and believed them when they said it'd be here the day it was released.  Bah!  I'm going to just have to stick to my old fashioned principles of going into the shop because this has been levels ridiculous approaching Space Balls proportions.  Fingers crossed that your Stormboy will strap that Rokkit pack to the package.

In any case since I've had no new book to go over, I've got another lovely Projekt Update
6.5 hours in...

I really dislike the resolution from the Iphone, it just doesn't give the pop on the 3 dimensional detailing.  As always when paint comes all those dings, pitmarks, scratches and holes will show, but in the meantime just trust me when I say there's a fair amount there.

That said, this is the fastest I've ever scratchbuilt Russ tracks, I've really been getting it down to a science (although I did screw up slightly and the outside tracks are a fair deal thicker than the GW version, a minor error, but one that still miffs me a bit.  All in all the Tracks are about 70%, all that's left is plopping on the gear boxes on the outside tracks, the large drive wheel (which as always I'll fudge), plopping some plate over the suspension that I can't scratch, and scratching the steering pistons.  Hmm, maybe I'm not as far along as I first thought, I also have to connect the outside and inner and add the trakks.  Oh well.

The interesting tan bits at the top are some of my patented scratch Rokkits and Rokkit tips.  I'm gonna make the two twin Rokkit launchas look dead sexy.  Why only have two Rokkits when your Twin Linked anyway, we're Orkz have a dozen!

The last bit of work is on the former Russ Chassis that will form the body, you may notice that odd bit sticking out.  I really should have snapped a side view, head on just doesn't show it proper.  At the moment it resembles a scratchbuilt Lascannon, but it'll soon have some Orky goodness applied to it making it a proper KMB.  The big part about it though is that while limited, it does have a rotation, which I always find to be so tricky when scratchbuilding.  Again this is why I should have snapped a side view before the phone went into 'I need to be charged' dead mode.

All together this Morker is still a long ways off from completion, but hey I got 26 days to smash it together and splash the paint on.  It's far too soon for me to debate, but at the moment I definitely need to stop trying to figure out how I'm gonna paint it.  Speaking of 26 days, hey all you'ze lurkers I know you're looking so why don't you throw in and commit to making a unit or two.  If it makes it worth your while I'll throw in 10 teef from my own storehouse to everyone that ranks higher on the scorecard than me.  If that isn't enough motivation for you, just remember you'd also have the bragging rights of besting the old Warlord.

Lastly I'll throw this out there since I've been having this debate with the model's plans for a while.  What do you boyz think will look cooler, plopping the twin Rokkit launchas on the chest in a manner similar to the SM Centurians to bulk out the sides, or as shoulder mounted artillery?

Peace
~OD

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #9 on: July 6, 2014, 12:19:23 PM »
Bought 2 packs of MANz yesterday (might need to sell the car...), and spent a glorious few hours assembling them - nice kits. No pics yet, because no real conversion work on these, just trying to get the most out of the relaticely static poses.

Anyway, am now at the stage where I can start splashing paint on, but I still have a squad of bikes primed and ready to go, (including a Wazdakka conversion, that I guess is now a Nob), so I'm going to make myself paint those first in the hope that I stay motivated by the new figs waiting at the end.

So I'll add a squad of 5 warbikes to my 5 MANz and 1 Big Mek with MA and KFF. (Love the tellyporta blasta, so considered magnetising, but really I can't envisage a set up where I won't want the KFF. Might need a 2nd Big Mek in MA at some point though  ;)

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #10 on: July 7, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »
Ok, after picking up my codex over the weekend, I'm in:  10 nobz (some are conversions using other company's bitz), mek with oiler, looted vehicle (originally a WWII tank).  I actually assembled and primed figures this weekend.  Pictures to follow...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 7, 2014, 08:17:40 PM »
Welcome to the rodeo Ork E Nuff, this should be a good one.

At the moment I feel like I'm sitting fairly pretty, it doesn't seem that too many people are chomping at the bit for a sack of teef.  I am however quite eager to see some progress pics, sure I probably post too many of those, but I love them, especially for a comparison to the end product.  It also gives others a chance to give input, which I personally find invaluable to be given, as well as enjoyable to give.

That said today's Progress Update doesn't exactly have too much different than my last, but progress is ongoing.
12 hours in...

Here you can see a much more detailed shot of the track work, complete now with a rather high degree of scratches, dings, gearheads and steering pistons.  One of which is ready to get some tracks!  I've also outlined rough positioning of the access doors, but since I haven't decided on if I should mount the Big Shootas there I've stalled out on the track work.

Now you might be thinking, dude that's all you got done since your last update.  How is it taking you so long then?  Or at least that's what I'd be thinking if I were in your shoes.  Truthfully making models has been quite a bit difficult the past three months due to a severe hand injury that's left me a bit gimpy, but I've also been working on doing something I've never done on any model before, a working hinge.

Yes I also worked on the gun (it was looking a little too Lascannony and not KMB enough for me), but the access door is where a lot of the real work is.  A working hinge, at least since this is my first attempt at scratching that, isn't the easiest thing to figure.  Especially when your making the hinge attach to a curved object such as a circular door.  I'm a little agrivated that the other photos of it didn't come out (and yet again the phone's battery is dead, stupid Iphone), but there's a fair deal more detail work on the inside frame of the door, namely a bunch of grooving/ribbing, that has to fit thru the inside of the Russ's turret connector hole.  On the outside/closed position I'm going to put some sort of a glyph, I'm thinking Grim since it's one of my favorites and it's a lot easier to make that glyph the larger that it is.

Also unseen in the photos is the base, which is just card cut and built up to match the scale of the Flyer/Superheavy base.  It's kinda plain and boring to warrant a photo until this beastie is mounted on the base.

In truth if I want to keep any of the boss's loot I should really start kicking it into high gear though.  I still have to figure the Big Shootas, Rokkit Launchas, arms, and the head, not to mention all the Grot Riggers, KFF, fuel drum, engines and exhausts.  The photos I think are a bit deceiving at the same time, I've gotten a lot more done that it looks, but there's still a long ways to go before this one goes in the trophy cabinet.

Peace
~OD

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 05:04:44 PM »
Plan was 1 bike a night to get them done, which I managed, just not on consecutive nights necessarily! Anyway, bikes are done (including at last the model I had done for Wazdakka, just too late to be used! So I guess he'll just be a Nob now):

and I have today completed the first Meganob:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 05:54:44 PM by Baron Wastelands »

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 06:30:47 PM »
Great work Baron!  I too am miffed about the removal of Wazz, such a great klassic Ork removed for no real purpose other than GW not wanting to post rules allowing us as players to create unique models to represent them.  On the bright side, if you want, we can come close to a Wazz in one of two ways, the first being a Warboss equipped with the Blitzbike Relic or if you want to be extra sneaky while still technically legal, use the Forgeworld 6th Edition Dreadbash update list (available for free download) and on the last page is Zhardsnark Da Rippa which is/was fairly similar to Wazzdakka.  Point of fact being that this IS legal, although not likely for too long (Ork Biker troops were apparently too good, but SMurfs and Eldar get to keep their Bike/Jetbike troops).

As always I dig your painting Baron, especially since my last several big projekts have been Bad Moons, but I find that my eye is drawn very much to the bosspole of the Meganob.  I gotta ask, is that a stock one from the new kit, or did you get those side profile Ork skulls from some other kit (and if so please let me know!).

As for myself I'm glad to finally be back online after several days of internet outtage, and to celebrate that...

Projekt Update
22 hours in...

As you can see the body has been assembled, and there's some interesting interior design that evolved from a mismash of plates on the outside.  I've now got a decent access ladder and a boy ready at the gates, both of which are NOT glued in place, but rather will be glued into place after the paint phase.  The rear of the Morkanought is a scratchbuilt replica of the bottom of a Leman Russ (now if only I could manage to appropriately scratchbuild the top deck and the turret I could start churning out Scratch Russ's!). 

Not bad for a couple hours.  But as I've mentioned before I'm not too great with the Iphone's camera feature, and I do find myself inexplicably with photos that disappear.  Combined with the internet outage I mentioned earlier in this post, there's been a fair amount of work that I've done on top of this.  This Morkanought's undergone a fairly huge transformation, with an unfortunate lack of WiP pics, nevertheless this Morker is getting pretty good...

I blame/have drawn considerable inspiration from the Waaargh Orks 2nd Edition book, specifically the 7 page fluff story on the origins of the first Gargants for this explosion of work.  I cannot advice that piece of fluff enough to anyone that's working on a Stompy vehicle.  Sure Gargants have been basically retconned to comparatively miniscule Stompa and the G/M-orkanought is basically just a miniaturized version of the Stompa, that piece of fluff holds up as one of the greatest pieces of Ork lore, and can inspire EVERY hobby builder with the heart of a Mek to new heights of scratchbuilding/konverting.

So he's got the Twin Rokkits, the Kan body shoulders will be housing a new pair of rotating Twin Big Shootas in the same style of rotating turrets I've been doing for the past couple years, the Shooty arm is about 50-60%, the body itself is around 80-85%, and overall I'd say the build is around 75% completed.

The stuff left of course is the Klaw arm, the Mega Kannon, the head, a KFF, finishing the trakks, adding the side access panels of the Russ Tracks, an Exhaust system, wire work, a couple Grot Riggers, and of course a bit more battle damage.  Stuff like this ALWAYS needs more battle damage.  But for the time being what with 22 hours down on this monstrosity, I think I'll treat myself to a Hostess Fruit Pie (closest hummie analogy to a Squig Pie) before I follow in Ushbek and Dragnatz's steps and fight some hummies for some extra scrap to complete the projekt.

Peace
~OD

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 06:39:39 PM »

A couple of pics of the WIPs:
This is my latest mek, kustomized as per kontest outlines.  Makes use of various sources of bitz that I actively acquire from the web.
Here's his oiler:

Couple of nobz:

My latest acquired pain boy:

Also, I've completed my Dred, complete with magnetized armaments:

Now all I gotta do is paint...

Everyone's stuff looks great!  Baron:  I'll always be slightly envious of your abilities and creativity...OD:  What can I say that hasn't been said before...Wow...

Hopefully, mine will stand up the competition...

OED
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 04:49:14 PM »
Thanks both, nice to be painting yellow again! Loving the walker, OD, you make me want to experiment more, which is always a good thing. And I like the Blend of Kromlech bitz, OEN - will the mek be holding something or is he reaching back demanding a left-handed screwdrivrr from the grotz? Can't wait to see you both get some paint on.

I've finished another MAN, with another on the way. Pics soon ...

As for the back banner, it's a a standard one in the MANZ box; I had a spare from the other box, so if you look carefully at my 'wazdakka' you can see it there too. There are some nice bitz in the MANZ box in general, actually, and more than you need. I made 6 different models, and still didn't use all the options.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:54:30 PM by Baron Wastelands »

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 05:42:11 PM »
Baron:  I have him reaching back to have a tool given to him, kinda like a surgeon in an operating room.  I always envisioned meks as being those demanding creatures who expect the oilers to automatically know what he needs.  As for the other hand, after taking a pic, I gave him an old metal blowtorch bit that I found shining in the bottom of one of my bitz bins.  Kromlech, maximini...great options for bits for any army.  I find Kromlech works in well with my fledling Blood Axe themed army.  I need to pick up the pace and get some paint on pretty soon or it'll be 1 August and I'll still be staring at plastic and metal and wondering where my July went.

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 07:33:26 PM »
Have finished my squad of MANz, complete with twin killsaw boss :) Just the big mek to go now, and I'll have done what I set out to do! If there's time, I might add some boyz, but I'll try and get the MA Big Mek done in the next couple of days. In the meantime, here's the MANz squad, pretty happy with them, not least because they look reasonably consistent with the rest of the army, and I was a bit worried when I saw the bright yellow versions on the box ...

*update*
4 days and no updates - hope you guys are too busy painting to take pics!
Anyway, I have an addition - have finished my new HQ choice - the mega-armoured KFF big mek - for discerning bad moons everywhere.

This is my current candidate for lucky stix, and I am actually contemplating him slogging it with the walker contingent. Might give it a whirl.

Right, on to some 'ard boyz next ...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:24:01 PM by Baron Wastelands »

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 11:28:15 AM »
hrm it would appear that my last WiP didn't register.  Oh well...

Ork E Nuff I totally dig the Mek reaching for the Spanna, I mean seriously awesome, the only thing I'd have done differently is put on a larger base so the Oiler runt could be right there to provide the wrench.  As you have it works, and it's best to not upsize bases of models, that sort of thing is generally frowned upon come game time these days.  I haven't seen these molds before, so I guess I'll have to check around the web, I dig the minis man.

OD, you make me want to experiment more, which is always a good thing.
Thanks Baron, your Megas always give me a bit of envy, as does that yellow paint.  I remember the days before I became a Bad Moon.  I gotta ask, what's your rating of the new Mega Kit, is it worth the teef?

As for myself, I got a Projekt Update
46 hours in...

Yup, I've been on a build spree and unfortunately the last two updates didn't register on the site.  Which is fine I guess, I feel like I was posting too often and cluttering the thread.  Anyway the current progress

She's really developed some Charakter, that's for sure.  It's still a ways from completion though, this one is gonna be a nailbitter getting it to the finish line on time.  I think I'll pull it off, but it won't be easy, especially with rehearsals for the next show starting next week.

What's left to do is a bunch of minor details, namely finishing up the trakks, finishing exhaust, putting the Russ access doors on the sides of the Russ sides after scratchbuilding them, some extra teef for the monster's gob, some geardetailing on the arms, at least one more Grot, mounting to the base, wire work, some more battle damage (never enough of that), and of course figuring out a KFF.

All said and done, there's still a lot of work left to do and not a lot of time left to do it.  This might end up getting the biggest rush paint job I've ever done to make my deadline, perhaps I should paint my fingers red for that extra burst of speed.

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 11:33:42 AM by OD from TV »

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 12:55:25 PM »
Loving the russbot - in particular the shoulderpads and turret head have made it look nice and chunky, and the exhausts look great too, really tying it in to the deff dredds. Great job.

As for the MANZ kit, I will say that the models are very nice, but fairly static - maybe not such a problem for MA. In terms of bitz, you get some spare (and nice) bosspoles, some bitz to make any kind of combi-weapons, which wouldn't be hard to use on other models, and ofc most importantly a KFF in every box. Tellyport blastas too - I have plans for at least 1 of mine!

They are pricy though. Think it will be Christmas before I can get enough to make the formation of 15. And there's not an obvious way of making a bigger size warboss from the kit - though if anyone does it, I'd love to see.

*EDIT - about 16 hours later*

Ok, so this got me thinking, and in part inspired by OD here, I decided to try something a bit more ambitious. It's still a kitbash (in fact it became part of the exercise to use nothing but GW plastic and a tiny bit of greenstuff), but the bits are so different that it's closer to a scratchbuild than anything I have done. And now, without buying another box of MANz, I have a MA Warboss :)

After about 16 hours of hacking, gluing, pulling bits off again, more hacking, changing, regluing, etc., here's where I am:

Side views:

Didn't take a shot of the back yet, as still adding gubbins, but will do when I get some paint on. Feedback welcome, this is a bit outside my comfort zone ;)

Yes it is built around a cockpit ... two, in fact. The legs were the biggest issue, I tried various different ones before I settled on ones that I like; in the end, they're sawn off ogre legs from the stonehorn kit from WHFB.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:06:34 PM by Baron Wastelands »