News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: C'tan  (Read 2093 times)

Offline 40k rules

• Spammer: Forum abuser
  • acdc homer
C'tan
« on: August 24, 2005, 05:02:35 AM »
Do you think that the nightbringer is a bit barbaric and a bit difficult for 40k players to kill with its toughness and high strength ignoring all saves it makes it a formidable foe ... this thing isnt really related to the necron theme its just an apolacypse, when its in combat it is seemingly invincible and no normal marine can hurt the creature what would you suggest to combat this thing do you think the abomanation can be handled???
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 01:09:38 PM by 40k rules »
:d???:d???

Offline Blaze_Inferno

• My Necrons are incompetent. *sniff*
Re: C'tan
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 08:52:13 AM »
Blast it with Sniper rifles.  They tear him apart.  They wound on 4's regardless of toughness, and the 'Bringer has a mediocre save.
Or Psycannons with Grey Knights.  From what I hear, they work too.

By the way, edit that post, get rid of those stat numbers, the mods don't like that stuff.
Necron Lord: *kills Chaos Load*
*poof*
Necron Lord: *Looks up at new Bloodthirster* ...  *flips off Bloodthirster*
*sounds of combat ensue*

Offline Shade, Bankai King

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 10:37:50 AM »
I have had mine killed py a veteren sarge with a power fist.
[CENTER

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 10:46:01 AM »
Phase out could solve your problems, since the C'tan's points value greatly reduces the number of Necrons the force can include. Also, to my knowledge the Nightbringer can only move 6" a turn, so moving away from it can be an effective tactic. And sniper rifles and other assorted heavy weapons work nicely too, as already suggested.

Cheers, PaxImperator

Offline twilight_reaver

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 01:24:21 PM »
Phase out is your friend.  Typically snipers are poorly armoured and will be slaughtered by necron shooting before they can take down the nightbringer.  Combat is virtually impossible to win against the nightbringer.    Just go for the phase out because the nightbringer means 20 less warriors.

Currently MIA

Offline HiveFleet Darwin

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 03:40:31 PM »
there is also the fact that its  the material form of a god. and its like 25X more expensive than a normal marine. so the Ctan shouldn't be able to be hurt by jim bob the marine.
There is such a thing as too many attacks.
tyranids, 3000ish points W:many L:few T:1
Better living through forced evolution.
Chaos 2000ish pts

Offline Khulric

• Everyone's favorite lurker.
  • Armies: Necrons, Alpha Legion (everything)
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 04:35:59 PM »
yet he can be hurt be an even weaker sniper?

Offline Riaddon

• Survived the Howard hex
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 07:33:07 PM »
Mmh, i noticed a rather similar post by you on the tyranid board, complaining about how genestealers are cheesy for being better then marines. And now you are complaining that the nightbringer cannot be harmed by your standard marine without special equipment? I do wonder if you are serious in these complaints, or just trying to agitate people on this board, seeing how you start two such complaint posts in a relatively short time.

If you are serious, my apologies. I suggest you look at the role both of these units play within the army they can be fielded. A nightbringing has its advantages, though as a necron player myself I would almost never field it, unless against a fairly novice opponent. Genestealers also have their use, I personally love them, but they are also a very costly investment that can easily be mown down by bolter fire (darn those smurfs being so cheesy, they should be banned from tournaments i say) or an even more expensive investment that can be picked apart by heavy bolters. Both units are extremely good at what they do, but they also have glaring weaknesses, and a rather large pricetag. Think about it, if everything would be homogenized, what would the fun of the game be if the only model you could field would be tactical marines without upgrades?
3000pts Tau, 4500pts Space Marines, 5000 pts Tyranids, 3500 pts of Eldar, 2500 pts Necrons, 4000 points worth of orks. (and some imperial guard, I know, addiction, shush)

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 08:07:43 PM »
Well hold on now, I read that Genestealer post, and I agree that it was newbish and not very considerate of the Tyranids as an army, however I think 40K Rules learned a little bit from that and tried to make this thread a legitimate topic.  So he's new and made a mistake that deserved rebuke, you guys told him off in that thread, let's give him a chance to learn the lesson?  He asked what could stop the Nightbringer, he didn't just say it was cheesy.  Let's focus on that and save the accusations of trying to agitate everybody for another time?

Offline harder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 09:43:18 PM »
if you think a c'tan is rediculous in combat then....your stupid! if you play it rght by not allowing it to get into combat then it sucks, its just a huge point sink for the necrons not allowing him to get more necrons, and if he takes a monolith then hes going to get phased out very quickly. if you want to ignore itput some flashy fast stuff by it, like bikes and when he goes for you boost away leaving him behind, out of sight and mind. Just ignore him!!!

Offline wee jimi

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 05:13:15 PM »
Ive seen my Nightbringer mown down in two turns of solid shooting from opposing marines. so if you simply focus on him you can take him down b4 he reaches your line, ive found snipers and high strength(not neccesarily high AP) weapons are dangerous as teh C'tans 4+ save aint too hot.in close combat, a nice squad of genestealers helps immensley. Overall, focus your fire to take him down, tho this can lead to leaving other high priority targets(pariahs, lords,moniloths, tomb spyders) unscathed. the game in question ended up a draw, so the tactic isnt foolproof, as a necron army is rok hard in itself.

Offline Foxfire

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 06:47:45 PM »
Well, keep in mind that typical marines can't hurt him.  Special and heavy weapons are gonna be what brings him down.

Offline Trevelyan

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 09:45:31 PM »
I would say the only time I would ever use the nightbringer is if I knew I was facing a close combat army, such as tryanids maybe black templa.  Then I would even try to keep the nightbringer close to the bulk of my army so that whenever they go in to attack my warriors, I could easily take them out, but really for the points you pay for it, I find it to be a huge point sink that is relatively easy to kill if you just focus the heavy weapon fire on it.  It's kind of funny to think about it but, you can get much more effective hqs in other armies for much less than ours cost.

Offline MrNacho

• Don't forget to tip your waitress...
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 04:32:00 AM »
Well I happen to play Black Legion.  My best friend plays Necrons and we go at it from time to time.  In my experience, Plaguebearers kill C'tan good.  Needing no more than a 4+ to wound in close combat due to Daemonic Venom, combined with their Nurgle's Rot, a squad of 7-10 should be enough to bring that proud god down!
Gold diggers are like hookers......just smarter.

Offline Foxfire

• Ancient
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 11:15:29 AM »
Yup, anything that finds a way to bypass his toughness("Poison" like you find on the Plaguebearers, Rending weapons, Snipers, or high strength weapons) are gonna do the trick.

Offline Trevelyan

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2005, 04:24:21 PM »
Hmm... I never thought of it since I am both the eldar and the necron player in my area, but a seer council would be very bad news for a c'tan.

Offline twilight_reaver

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2005, 08:27:17 PM »
Wow if you guys are actually successfully using plaguebearers, snipers or genestealers against a c'tan something is wrong with the necron player.  I can guarentee you that against me those units wouldn't survive turn 2 as I blew the hell out of them using necron firepower...  Only if the necron player was stupid enough to run the nightbringer directly at you without support could you pull this off...

Currently MIA

Offline Foxfire

• Ancient
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005, 09:18:21 PM »
Lol, I've known Nid players who could pull it off man.  I think you're drastically underestimating opponents, or over estimating yourself when you so boldly declare that no one could ever reach your C'tan with any of those units.  I'd like to remind you that combat often blocks line of sight, so if that C'tan was used offensively at all, it would be pretty simple to run up and whip him with Genestealers or PlagueBearers.  Snipers can be hidden behind terrain away from Destroyer fire.  I'm all about Necrons being smart dude, but that's a foolhardy thing to say.

Offline bk rage

• fear the harvest, it come......
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2005, 06:03:01 PM »
How many pt do you need, to use the nightbringer or the deciver?i do not see it in the codex ???

Offline twilight_reaver

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2005, 06:14:24 PM »
How many pt do you need, to use the nightbringer or the deciver?i do not see it in the codex ???

No point requirement

Lol, I've known Nid players who could pull it off man.  I think you're drastically underestimating opponents, or over estimating yourself when you so boldly declare that no one could ever reach your C'tan with any of those units.  I'd like to remind you that combat often blocks line of sight, so if that C'tan was used offensively at all, it would be pretty simple to run up and whip him with Genestealers or PlagueBearers.  Snipers can be hidden behind terrain away from Destroyer fire.  I'm all about Necrons being smart dude, but that's a foolhardy thing to say.

That's the point.  You look 2 turns ahead and make sure that you don't put your c'tan into a bad situation (hopefully).  I never just run him straight up the middle at my opponents if I'm fighting a CC army, since that prevents me from getting more targets with the rest of my army.  There are the odd Seedling Swarm Genestealers and late summon PlagueBearers that cause grief, but the vast majority of times if you play conservativly then most of the "solutions" won't work, at least not in time to make a huge difference.  With turboboosting destroyers, scarabs and wraiths I have yet to encounter a set of snipers that have managed to make a large impact on my army (granted when I fought kroot merc snipers I didn't have my c'tan, but that's beside the point).  Even against opponents that have geared out against my c'tan, what usually happens is I just use him to try and let my opponents take him out while the rest of my army does its work.  Besides, the deciver overcomes most CC problems anyways, one more reason why he is my pick over the nightbringer.

Basically I'm saying that in general anything useful against a c'tan will be useless or better used against the rest of the necron army. 

Currently MIA