News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A Tale of 8 Armies. Disgussion, WIP and PIP thread  (Read 31764 times)

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
  • Insert generic quote here
A Tale of 8 Armies. Disgussion, WIP and PIP thread
« on: October 12, 2010, 02:37:08 PM »
Hi everyone :)
I have started this up to provide a little motivation to myself and (hopefully) others to get my army finished. Hopefully it will also provide a change of pace as it should be less structured and more 'fun' than the Painting Challenges.

The Rules
Rule One or The Golden Rule: No Nastyness. Constructive critisism is fine but this is not suposed to be a thread for nitpicking or slagging of others. People put a lot of time into armies (and hopefully this thread ;)) so be kind even if their painting is not Golden Daemon standard.
Rule Two: This is relativly unstructured but please try to update at least once a month.
ing
Signup
If you wish to join, post I'm In here along with
Your Army
Breif description/backgrond to you/your army/fluff
Your current Project within that army
A test pic of your colourscheme (optional)
Any random fotos of your work area/pets/aunt mable you feel will help lighten the mood and stress the 'informal' bit :)

My Signup
My Army: High Elves.
My Helves were my first WFB army and are currently my oldest army :) even though they have been repainted several times, i am still expanding with them and have been buying lots of new stuff for them in the wake of 8th ed. now it is time to paint it ;)
Current Project: 20 IoB Seaguard:

Test Pic: High Elf Mage:

And the Randomness:
the PILE OF DOOOM!

Please Join

{GMS}

Signed up

{GMS} - High Elves (mostly ;))

The Clinically Insane One - Dark Elves, Battle Sisters

wormsto - Chaos Space Marines/Orks

Critically_Hit - Space Marines

enlargingcloud - Death Guard, Eldars

count dizzy - Vampire Counts, Eldars and Necrons

darthplagis - Dark Eldar.

Angel of Death 007 - Orks
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:44:04 PM by Grand Master Sanguinius »

Offline Nomsheep, the Modhunter.

• Sanity is for the weak,
  • Armies: Dark eldar and sons of malice.
Re: A Tale of x Armies.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:42:58 PM »
I'm up for it, but you already knew that. :)

Your Army
Dark elves
Brief description/background
The knights of naggarond, a very coldone heavy army, that love burning trees. :)

Your current Project within that army:

my cold ones

A test pic of your colourscheme:

will edit this in when i find my lead. 

Random photo:

Do you like my pet, i call him fluffy.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 02:44:19 PM by The clinically insane one »
Someday someone will say something about me witty or memorable enough to put here til then enjoy this;
Rule 66: the cake is a lie

Working tirelessly to revive BattleFleet Fury

WE need YOU

Offline wormsto

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 04:51:15 PM »
i'm in! i'll be doing space orks from space and chaos space marines from space, purely depending on what i feel like.

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 09:45:24 PM »
I'm in and I will be doing my Death Guard that I've had for almost 7 years but haven't finished due to remodeling. Now they are converted to a standard I am happy with and will be one their way to a complete army in 2 weeks (probably it will take months after that for them to be completed though.)

No pics although pics will occur eventually.

Offline Critically_Hit

• Now likes bolters...
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 02:54:02 AM »
Fair Enough.

My army: Space marine DIY Chapter called: Astral Lions

My goals:
  • Working on a battle worthy painted force
  • Improving my painting standard significantly
  • Working out the background of my chapter

Current project:
Creating unique battle brothers by kitbashing/little conversions. Storywise the company has battled it's way through a hefty campaign, so most of the battle brothers have a little veteran flavour.
In case of doubt, duck! Hit the ground... Though not a tactical advantage per sé, it does make you feel safer for a couple of seconds

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »
Awesome guys, thanks for joining :)
I have no progress to report as the monthly Challange and my Holiday have really gotten in the way but im back now and we can get this thing rolling ;D
To anyone else who is interested in joining: You have one week before it is really too late. (hopefully some people will update by then ;))

{GMS}

Offline Critically_Hit

• Now likes bolters...
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 05:08:44 PM »
Right. Just posting to let people know I haven't forgotten this, in fact. I've been digging up all my marine mini's and am planning to make a grand post showing exactly where I am, what still needs paint, what some of my plans are. If I wouldn't have had to organise two more paint nights with my wargamey friends then I would have probably been able to show it all by now ...

I've been actually devoting an hour of painting every day for the last couple of days and it is working out nicely. I'm working on some vanguard marines for the double dog dare painting challenge. (you can find a couple of wip shots in the painting challenge thread 3/3) For the sake of progress I can recommend both paint nights and the painting challenges on this forum. Should no others update before me I'll simply update the post with the pictures!

ps. Last month I built some great marines out of bits and pieces, alas I've had some trouble with getting the layers smooth so unfortunately I've tossed them into the stripping bin. I expect them to be back shortly. Stay tuned!
In case of doubt, duck! Hit the ground... Though not a tactical advantage per sé, it does make you feel safer for a couple of seconds

Offline Ulthweirdo

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 07:48:26 PM »
Hey there I think this is a great idea and would love to be apart of this.
my armies that im working on are my vampire counts and my eldar(saim hann)
updates pic wise within a day or so :)

Offline Critically_Hit

• Now likes bolters...
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 11:33:07 AM »
Fair enough, here's where I stand (which is not completely hopeless due to the painting challenges!)

Stuff that's got a lick of paint on it:

Current status:
Captain - 90% done
Librarian - done
Tactical squad 1 (left side) - 50% done
Tactical squad 2 (right side) 80% done
Rhino (80% done)
Sternguard veterans (90% done)
Vanguard veterans ( 50% done)

Here's some pictures from slightly closer:

So... What do I have in store? Well, I have 3 drop pods, 3 land speeders, 2 predators, more rhino's, more tacticals, an assault squad (or two), more veterans and some other stuff coming up in the future...

This month will see all my attention get poured in at the vanguard veterans. I'll make sure I'll update those at the end of the month in this thread, the work in progress shots can be found in the painting challenge thread (autumn 2010 3/3)
Either way, this post should give you an idea on where I stand currently (with an allmost legal army) and hopefully I can put my brushes to work nicely (since my friends are taunting my lack of active battling...) More at the end of this month!

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 03:35:52 PM »
Awesome guys, glad to see this has not died :)
@ Critically_Hit: Looking good man, Wish i had managed to get my marines looking like that! Just curious, How did you manage to do the white? Having a little trouble with it ATM :-\

@count dizzy
Glad you want to join :) Everyone is welcome for the moment as it appears that some people may have forgotten about this... (Wormsto, looking at you!)

No update on my Helves for now, trying to finish my 40k Orks first. Pics soon :)

{GMS}

Offline Nomsheep, the Modhunter.

• Sanity is for the weak,
  • Armies: Dark eldar and sons of malice.
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 11:41:34 AM »
i havent forgotton i'm merely expanding my delves :)
Someday someone will say something about me witty or memorable enough to put here til then enjoy this;
Rule 66: the cake is a lie

Working tirelessly to revive BattleFleet Fury

WE need YOU

Offline darthplagis

• Time to crack out the bongos.
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 05:37:40 AM »
well given my current situation i may as well jump on the band wagon.

Army: Dark Eldar
Current status: 20 mini's Being primed
Random Musings: no pics just yet (10 am still no sleep :)). due to the Mrs demanding i buy "NO MORE MINI'S TILL YOU DO THIS LOT" i have a box of warriors and a box of wyches, with a sneaky purchase of a raider coming at the weekend (i give her the "its their transport option, so its part of the squad" line :))

so hopefully i will stick this army out, unlike my last 4 or so ( full CWE army bought and painted 1 wraithlord which i stripped and a war walker, a PHDA army with 1 painted seargent :) a tau army consisting of a part assembled a hammer head with LED lit ion cannon, a long time on going CSM force many mini's in various states of GS convertion to nurgle and slanesh and finally a lizard man £50 set that i painted half the skinks and made star wars taun tauns from the cold ones :)) so yeah i gotta try and stick with this one.

pics to come hopefully by thursday/friday

Offline Ulthweirdo

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 07:26:40 PM »
small update to my undead
i will try and get pics for my eldar asap!

As you guys can see i just started off with them
however im currently looking to finish painting my 1250 list for my eldar for a local comp...
enjoy!
The Count

btw very nice marines.
cant wait for more updates!

Offline Critically_Hit

• Now likes bolters...
« Reply #13 on: December 5, 2010, 09:38:23 AM »
Remember, remember, get your stuff done in November. Or something slightly less grand...

Or, as my friend said yesterday, hey those white things are finally starting to look like an army now.

There´s a ton of pictures in the monthly painting challenge thread of the stuff I´ve been working on so I´ll spare you those (if you must here's a link to the thread, there's some truly awesome stuff in there, mind you most of the awesome stuff isn't mine! :) http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=206988.0 )

Here's what the army looks like currently:

And here's this month's addition:

@Count Dizzy
I'm liking your glowy eyes on the .. ghouls (?) especially. Apart from seeing the odd mould line they look very nice. And where did you get the skelleton models? Are they perhaps converted somehow?

Sooo... Get your updates in guys!

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #14 on: December 9, 2010, 08:19:51 AM »
Hey guys I have been lurking and its great to finally start to see some painted mini's. Woot.

Great work so far BTW,

@ Critical_Hit I love the pallet on your Marines there, but I also have a question or offer for you. I noticed an OOP Rhino and Razorback in the background of one picture to go along with the new rhinio varient. I am actually looking to aquire some more of the OOP models so if your interested I would certainly be willing to trade you 1 - 1 for any OOP vehicles that you want to get rid of. To sweeten the deal, I would also send you something extra for your time, trouble, and shipping (depending on if we can harbour a deal, etc).

@ Count Dizzy I like the skin tones and the purple but I am  not a fan of how bland the reds look and would suggest a touch  more pop to it, not much but something, maybe deepen the shadows, etc.

Cheers.
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 01:41:39 PM »
Wow guys, your really putting me to shame... However, once i finish my 40k sidetrack (Just 2 more guys) I can get back on with my Spearelves :)

@ count Dizzy: Great looking Undeads man :) you just might make me get off my butt and actually buy some more for my Vampcounts. You know, more than just 2 special characters and the Army book...

@ Critically_hit: Wow... thats it...

@ Moc: Glad to see someone is keeping an eye on us :P There is still room to join if you like.

Anyway, i finish school fo Xmas on Thursday so painting and updates should become more regular and i'll sort out the running of this thing properly

{GMS}

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 02:02:26 PM »
Thanks for the offer; but my problem is that I have 6+ armies that I am working on, so commiting to just one for a while would be odd for me at this time.

Maybe later though, and I love these types of things as I have done a couple of them in the past and they really did help to get my core armies situated.

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 03:32:47 AM »
What the heck, I might as well join in as i really need to get going on my orks.

I am AOD 007 and I am an alcoholic....  wait wrong board
I am not smarter than a 5th grader....   still wrong...

Your Army:  Orks
I started collecting up orks in 2008 with the release of the ork codex.  I have been recently trying to put myself to the grindstone to atleast get my 1850 point army painted for tournys.

Currently I am working on 3 killa kans in the painting forum for the winter competition.  For my 1850 point list I still need to do 3 more kans, a dread, 20 ard boyz, and finish up about 50 orks.  Not to mention basing them all (but finally settled on a base scheme)

I did an article on assembly line painting in the articles section and have been devoted recently to painting.

Some fun stuff...  since this is an apocalypse army I have been purchasing some really cool stuff including a Mega dread, Stompa, Big Squiggoth, also purchased some Nobs, a battlewagon, 2 regular trukks, 2 converted trukk projects, a looted wagon project and another converted battlewagon project, not to mention about another 50 or so boyz. 

On the plus side in the last two months I have painted, 1 deff dread, green baron, 10 boyz, a squad of kommandos, and working on 3 killa kans.   

Something like this would really keep me motivated so I would like to join your group if there is still space.

My ork army (still growing)

A good part of my 1850 point army

The lovely big squiggoth ROOOARRRR.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 05:44:36 PM by angel of death 007 »

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 12:53:10 PM »
@ AoD 007. Course you are welcome to join :) Welcome aboard
good luck with the orks, i dont know how you have the patience to do an entire army... the AoBR boyz very nearly took my sanity...

{GMS}

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 09:33:22 PM »
@ AoD 007. Course you are welcome to join :) Welcome aboard
good luck with the orks, i dont know how you have the patience to do an entire army... the AoBR boyz very nearly took my sanity...

Sanity?   :o LOL no one ever said I had that.  Orks are very taxing on the mind that is for sure.  But I think for the most part I got it down when I did my article which now that I got a step process I can follow it keeps me in check.  I have been working quite a bit on them though over the last few months.  The KoN campaign got me back into playing and I felt kinda bad cuz some of my stuff wasn't fully assembled or even primed.  I never played with gray plastic models before and I felt like an idiot considering my opponents had fully or next to fully painted armies. 

Anyway my goal will be to have atleast my 1850 point force partially to fully painted by the next tournament so I can request off to be in it.  (to count the whole army has to be based and painted with atleast 3 colors)  If they keep it at 1850 points then that means finishing my kans I am working on now, painting 3 more kans, 20 ard boys, and a deff dread.  I think most of my boys got atleast 2-3 colors on them.  But if it is 2000 then I gotta figure out what squad(s) I am going to add and probably paint 2 rokkit buggies.  On top of whatever squad I add.  (it was tank bustas, but I wasn't totally impressed with them on foot)  So I will need to revamp it a bit.   

Next tourny should be either at the end of January or February.  Need atleast 2000 points for the big tourny in Orlando in July and I think I will be fielding my orks for it as well.   So with all the motivation plus this group I should be able to get them done.

Thanks for the add.