News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tiny, tiny army.  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Ezeykle

Tiny, tiny army.
« on: July 27, 2012, 04:26:07 PM »
I've been out of the game for a long time, but my interest has been rekindled, and I managed to convince my father to grab the Black Reach box to get him started and I'd have someone to play with. (It's exciting, because he's a renowned visual artist. I can't wait to see what he comes up with.) He decided he wanted to take the Marines from the box, but he'll most likely end up playing as Chaos, rather than SMurfs. While I'm sure the Orks will be fun, I really would like to break out my Tyranids, but I'm unsure what to put in such a small (around 600 points) list. Especially because I'm very unfamiliar with the new codex.

The Prime seems to be the appropriate HQ choice for the size of the army, but beyond that I'm unsure what to do. I love my Genestealers, but are they too expensive to take in any real numbers as troops at this level? What's the best option to deal with the Dreadnought he'll be fielding? Both the Trygon and Tyrannofex seem too expensive for this situation, but I had pegged those as the real tank hunters in the codex.

Any suggestions?

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
Re: Tiny, tiny army.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 05:49:34 PM »
How about:

HQ: prime with lash+sword, scytals, and toxin sacs (105)

Elites: 2xhive guard (100)

Elites 2xhive guard (100)

Troops: 10 termagants (50)

Troops: tervigon with cluster spines, scytals, toxin sacs, adrenal glands, and catalyst (200)

Heavy: 1 biovore
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Ezeykle

Re: Tiny, tiny army.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 10:39:59 PM »
That looks pretty nice, but I fear being low on numbers if I get an unlucky double with the Tervigon early on. What would you think about dropping the Biovore and one set of Hive Guard for a few more Termagants and a brood of Hormagaunts? The Hormagaunts would also give the Prime some CC support.

That gives me a good place to start though. Thanks so much!