News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: ''Fixing'' Lictors?  (Read 9460 times)

Offline coredump

Re: ''Fixing'' Lictors?
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2007, 09:13:26 AM »

Yeah, without breaking the IG squad will wipe the floor with the lictor. But, with Ld 7, they have a decent chance of breaking. (assuming no other modifiers...)

But, why would you send one at a normal IG squad? It would make much more sense to send it at the mortar team, or the anti-tank squad.
Or for big fun, send it at the basilisk, then it gets a 2+ save from the wreakage.

You can't treat a lictor like it is a stealer.
In the past the sun moved around the Earth.
This is fifth edition! You are wrong, your opponent is right.
-Finoro
Glancing hits suck my face off now
-YuenglingDragon
RAI is used by people who want rules to mean what they want it to instead of what it says in the book.
RAW is used by people who want rules to mean what they want it to instead of what it says in the book.
-Hymirl

Offline Benandorf

• Waaargh! Orkz Ruinz me Life!
  • Why so heretical?
    • Texas ...TeamPlayers...
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2007, 11:19:39 AM »
Lictors are decent against the back armor of vehicles, and that's about it.

Actually, they might have some very nice use against an Armored Company, if your opponent places his tanks right...

But the problem is they're just too expensive.  But it's all been said before, so I won't repeat it.
Quote from: Yuenglingdragon
When life gives you anything, charge it with Genestealers.
Alarm clock? Genestealers.
Your boss? Genestealers.
The rednecks that cut in front of me at Wal-mart like I didn't have anything better to do than stand in line? Genestealers.

Quote from: unknown
Asking for advice on using VC to beat O&G is like saying "I'm 6'3", work out, and consider myself pretty tough.  Can anyone give me advice on how to beat up the handicapped kid down the street?"

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2007, 02:50:51 PM »

Yeah, without breaking the IG squad will wipe the floor with the lictor. But, with Ld 7, they have a decent chance of breaking. (assuming no other modifiers...)

But, why would you send one at a normal IG squad? It would make much more sense to send it at the mortar team, or the anti-tank squad.
Or for big fun, send it at the basilisk, then it gets a 2+ save from the wreakage.

I did. It died before ever getting to leadership tests.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2007, 05:09:46 PM »
Thats really no argument from someone who consistently rolls bad *cough* anvil of doom *cough*  :P

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2007, 05:10:57 PM »
I'm not saying someone who constantly rolls 6es shouldn't use lictors. I'm just saying I don't on more or less those exact grounds

Offline coredump

« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2007, 07:01:32 PM »
It died against a regular IG squad, or it died against a mortar squad?

If against the mortar squad, you are an extremely unlucky man. (I assume you hit the flank, and not the middle of the unit... Actually, even against the middle, you were really unlucky.)
In the past the sun moved around the Earth.
This is fifth edition! You are wrong, your opponent is right.
-Finoro
Glancing hits suck my face off now
-YuenglingDragon
RAI is used by people who want rules to mean what they want it to instead of what it says in the book.
RAW is used by people who want rules to mean what they want it to instead of what it says in the book.
-Hymirl

• Ancient
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2007, 07:32:30 PM »
A heavy weapon squad actually.

The guy I was playing had them deployed on one large base so it didn't really matter a whole lot.

Offline Windswept

« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2007, 02:27:30 AM »
Lictors are the reason i pay 25 points to put a power fist in my Devastator squad and bump them to 10 marines.  They also take out my option of  combat squadding the devastators.  When they pop out im gonna need those 5 meatshields and a sarge with a powerfist.  The key is the fact that  if they get into combat quickly they are very devastating and cant be shot at. They can tie up your heavy weapons taking alot of points out of the fight. If a Lictor rolls very well they can make short work of a 5 man squad and force other units to have to m,ake their way back to them.

i dont really think they need any changes.  They just need to be played right and they can get their points back the instant they drop on the board.  A marine player or any player for that matter can only pray they fail synapse check.

• Ancient
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2007, 12:47:29 PM »
They can't tie up heavy weapons. In order to tie anything up they need to survive past the first turn of combat.

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2007, 01:03:30 PM »
Shouldnt be too difficult, since it needs around 12 attacks from MEQs (without powerweapons) to kill one. So even if you somehow have to fight the whole devestator squad, you should still tie it up one phase.

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Benandorf

• Why so heretical?
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2007, 01:06:55 PM »
Statistically, yes.  So probably 60% of the time you'll survive the first combat.

But that job can be done, better, by Hormagaunts.  Hormagaunts WILL hit turn 2, while lictor *might* hit turn 2, with less survivability.  I'll take 8 hormagaunts over 1 lictor any day of the week.  Or 5 genestealers. ;)
Your boss? Genestealers.
The rednecks that cut in front of me at Wal-mart like I didn't have anything better to do than stand in line? Genestealers.

Asking for advice on using VC to beat O&G is like saying "I'm 6'3", work out, and consider myself pretty tough.  Can anyone give me advice on how to beat up the handicapped kid down the street?"

• Ancient
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2007, 01:12:15 PM »
Shouldnt be too difficult, since it needs around 12 attacks from MEQs (without powerweapons) to kill one. So even if you somehow have to fight the whole devestator squad, you should still tie it up one phase.

I need to stop applying my own experiences to other people, at least until my dice can accurately reflect statistical probability. It takes a normal person 12 MEQ attacks to down a Lictor. It takes my Imperial Guard opponent 4 heavy weapons crew to kill one of mine.

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2007, 01:17:44 PM »
Funnily enough the same thing happens all the time to my falcons, vectored engines help though, now they mostly end the game sitting on their behinds.

Offline Windowlicker

« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2007, 03:56:27 PM »
you loose falcons!
oh dear, you need to get on your knees and repent to the dice gods

Offline Benandorf

• Why so heretical?
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2007, 04:16:42 PM »
I... I didn't know Falcons *could* die... :o

I need to go contemplate on this.. ???
Your boss? Genestealers.

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2007, 04:28:38 PM »
I... I didn't know Falcons *could* die... :o

I need to go contemplate on this.. ???

Its even worse... i lost to nids... god i feel ashamed... he just kept rolling those boxcars, a falcon and a prison shot down by a zoantrophe and a sniperfex in one turn, that was the point a minor victory bacame a minor loss.