News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Good combo?  (Read 1832 times)

Offline SMiF

• ¬_¬ What are you going to do huh?
Good combo?
« on: August 1, 2002, 03:04:42 AM »
What do you think of this one?

Monolith, lord w/ orb, plus whatever squad(s) of necron nearby.

First, because we have the orb, anything within that range gets a WBB regardless of power weapons, double strength weapons, etc.  Plus, if the player fails to get the WBB the monolith gets to let them re-roll the WBB.

So mathematically (or so I'm thinking how this works, if I'm wrong, PLZ correct me) :),

you get 50% on your first try, and you get about 50% on your 2nd attempt
so
(1/2) * (1/2) + (1/2) = 3/4
(1st attempt failed) * (2nd attempt pass) + (1st attempt pass) = 75% passing the WBB roll

(This is things I have to do for the stats program.  SO I don't know 100% all the stuff I'm calculating are correct [Since I'm not a stats or probability type of guy] so if anything you are unsure please inform me!)

Back to the topic.  What do you think of this combo?
SMiFSoNiaN

Night_Of_Necrons

Re:Good combo?
« Reply #1 on: August 1, 2002, 06:03:02 AM »
its good, but i think i would much rather just plop the monolith down in the middle of there units and shoot em up with the gauss flux arc or teleport some units up there to give it some support.o and the particle whip is always fun :) VoD some immortals up there and shoot shoot shoot.

-NoN :o

Offline SMiF

• ¬_¬ What are you going to do huh?
« Reply #2 on: August 2, 2002, 06:00:04 PM »
Shooting is good, but when it comes to assault I'm screwed.  Another words, most necrons are so slow!  Both in walking distance as well as assault init.  When I'm fighting a good army in assault my men gets mowed down before I can retaliate! :(
SMiFSoNiaN

Offline Halberd-Blue

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Long Live C'Nesha
    • Lord of the Universe's Website
« Reply #3 on: August 7, 2002, 10:53:07 AM »
Most Necrons may be really bad in assault, but they have the best defense IMHO against assault.  VoD and the Monolith can teleport you right out of it.

The Necrons that are meant for assault are really good at it though.  Flayed Ones do great against Tau with their low leadership, and Wraiths do great against just about everybody (because they will wound most normal troopers on a 2+, and have I6)
"The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal."

Offline Trunkhead

• Drunken Master
  • Ancient
  • Cause this is too funny
« Reply #4 on: August 7, 2002, 08:52:19 PM »
Hmm too much.  As a Necron player i only like to lean on my WBB roles vs. the Tau.  Other than that i like to make tactics and plans without it, therefore any guys that come back are a bonus.  It seems your trying to maximize your WBB roles, which for one is going to limit your mobility (your kinda stuck in one big block) and your tactics (guard the monolith)  But hey, the army is new, this could be the way to go
You know what I'll say when I see God?
I'm going to tell him I was framed
 - The Way of the Gun

Offline Rhysk

• Begin the Litanies of Hatred!!!
    • My squatter page on the net
« Reply #5 on: August 8, 2002, 04:04:19 PM »
Trunkhead imparts his wisdom yet again...

That tactic will probally work well if you are playing a sluggfest mission. In a mission like Cleasn or patrol, you might not have the right minis out at the right time to establish the combo.

Plus what would you do against IG? All those ordinance template weapons will take their toll eventually and since you are all clumped together it will make it worse. Like just about any tactic in 40K there are ways around it.

What I am scared of is when Necron players find out just how fast the Army can be. As in Monolith deploying into the middle of your army, Necrons then deploying reserves into the middle of your army. Uhhggg. Lords teleporting immortals. Pariahs held in reserve pouring out of a monolith!!!! Uhhhgggg. Wraiths running around the board ignoring terrain. Destroyers moving 12" a turn.

The necrons can be insanely fast if you leave the WBB extra at home and play aggressivly. That's waht really scares me.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2002, 04:18:05 PM by Rhysk »
"Victurus te Saluto!" (He who is about to win salutes you)

Offline Dark Nick

• quote "ALL IS DUST"
« Reply #6 on: August 8, 2002, 11:55:08 PM »
I agree with Trunkhead.  Don't count on WBB rule.  Instead plan like you are using really expensive marines.  This way when your warriors start popping back up it will only help strengthen your plan.

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #7 on: August 9, 2002, 02:19:34 AM »
Plasma cannons...plasma cannons. =)

I saw a SoB army rock a Necron force. Meltas are good for that.

Niklas Kriig

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2002, 04:52:22 PM »
hmm. THat is a very interesting combo. I think i'll try that one. hehe, my friends is going to hate my necron army....mission accomplished.