News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Wave Theme Eldar - Mospaeda Craftworld  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Mospaeda

Wave Theme Eldar - Mospaeda Craftworld
« on: June 16, 2011, 10:57:45 AM »
So I've acquired a bunch of Eldar skimmers and decided to give my old wave-theme another shot. Here's my progress so far, two Falcons and a Wave Serpent.  Pics are a little dark, its early morning.

LINK TO MY ALBUM

Hulls are almost finished (need final ink) and gems basecoated.  Still trying to decide if I'm going to go with a "warm" white (bone) or "cool" white (greys) for the wraithbone.  While I've more experience painting warm, I'm worried that it might not match against the blue hulls.

Last time I painted tanks, I just inked the canopies black.  This time I'll leave them clear and paint the pilots.  Indirect light from the controls would be cool (lime green) but I'm not sure if I could pull it off.  Note: Stipling destroys brushes!

Four more Wave Serpents to go!

Should all else fail, resort to Kroot.

Offline skoops6

• Armies: those pointy eared dudes with the ninja star guns
Re: Wave Theme Eldar - Mospaeda Craftworld
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 05:52:19 PM »
wow man, that is really cool, kinda reminds me of the shining spears paintscheme, but way cooler.
keep it up! 6 out
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

Offline Tim043

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:04:15 PM »
So long as you don't make the Bone too yellow it should be fine as a warm white, I think the contrast will work nicely =]

Other than that wow, I really like these, not normally a fan of textured armour plates on Eldar but you've made a really nice job  :D

Offline LordofMuck

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 03:35:52 PM »
Hi!
They look WAY cool! LOVE THEM

In fact so much that i HAVE to try that theme out myself, i have a couple of extra falcons lying about...

PLEASE please please make (re-make) a tutorial for how you painted that!
I know they a chanting for a tuto too on heresy. So oblige us , and you are the champ,

If/when your gravs tanks reach ebay, im interested as well!
If you have any current auctions, please link them :D

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 01:57:27 AM »
I can't beleive that, not an hour ago, i commented on another thread about my disslike of molting, then stumble upon this little number. I still don't like molting patterns, but you've pulled off something both impressive and astheticly appealing. Kudos to you, my man.

As for the Wraithbone, i find that using a warm colour in conjunction with a cool generally make the the warm parts stand out more (Or the cold, depending on which is the majority). On something like this, i'd go more with the warm option, even so far as to change those gems to be a more common Red.

On the topic of the gems, however, something a little more neutral may be better... Have you thought about purple? The fact that it contains blue and red means it can go quite well with either, and depending on the base can act as a warm or cold accent to both.

Of course, the green, depending on how you do it, could pan out as well. I think the key would be to carry through the aquatic theme and paint them a sea green, almost teal.

Also, remember, the Eldar are nothing if not flashy, so colours that'll pop, no matter how flashy, are right up their alley.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Mospaeda

« Reply #5 on: July 2, 2011, 03:31:49 PM »
Got a few minutes in between cleaning the deck and mowing the lawn to take some shots of my progress.  Finished painting two more Wave Serpents and inking all five tanks.

Sun's really bright and will try to take them in the morning next time.  I like how the ink has smoothed out a lot of the transistions and gave it a really vibrant glow.  I might go back and pick out some of the "peaks" again though, to add more depth

The gems are just basecoated so please excuse them.

Decided to go with the "cool white" look and bought some Shadow Grey to try my hand at a wash.  Have only really painted "warm white" so this should be interesting.

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #6 on: July 3, 2011, 08:46:02 AM »
The paint scheme looks very good ... I mean eldarly.

It reminds me of a blue eldar paint scheme that was shown in a WD tutorial a couple of years ago.

Might that be your source of inspiration?
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Mospaeda

« Reply #7 on: July 3, 2011, 09:02:21 AM »
No, this was a scheme I came up with about ten years ago when I first started playing.  There used to be a tutorial here (then Eldar Online) but I think it's disappeared

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #8 on: July 6, 2011, 03:35:07 PM »
I used pretty much the same technique as you did and opted for the "warm" white aka Bone, as i wasn't content with colder tones. It does provide more contrast imho and i would agree on using warm tones on the stones as well (i chose a dark orange here). I also used that warm white on the chassis as well as the "front parts of the turbine" (or whatever you would call that). I gives them an orca'isch look (referring to the animal). It doesen't help much without a picture, i know, but for reference, i used this as my source of inspiration.

Oh and by the way, really nice work!  :)
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Mospaeda

« Reply #9 on: July 7, 2011, 01:38:22 PM »
Wow, that's an amazing Wave Serpent!

Thanks for the compliment, post up a picture of your stuff too

Offline Mospaeda

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 02:02:17 PM »
Update 7/30 -

Almost done!  Whites painted, gemstones painted, just need to finish the last canopy on the falcon and some highlighting.