News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch  (Read 70459 times)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Necromunda: House Escher
« Reply #440 on: June 2, 2020, 01:31:33 PM »
So clean, those marines. Just nice crisp lines, sweet! And the pox, the gooeyer the better and yours are getting there perfectly.

Glad to hear you're back to work, helps keep the sanity.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #441 on: June 2, 2020, 08:03:13 PM »
The poxwalkers look great, but daaanng you made those Inceptors pop :)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #442 on: June 5, 2020, 08:27:57 AM »
Excellence personified, Loosh :),  really love those Crimson Fists. My favorite detail is that you made their fists crimson as well!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Iron Golem Warcry Warband
« Reply #443 on: June 7, 2020, 11:13:05 AM »
Thanks for the feedback fellas.

I managed to slap a little more paint on the pox walkers to get them finished (1 or 2 minor touch ups needed, but that can wait).

I just wanted to finish them off so that I don't have them in the unpainted pile anymore. They're tabletop ready and that's all that matters; that and the fact that I have definitely finished the Death Guard portion of the Dark Millennium set. Building the DG into an actual force wouldn't require much effort at all and for the meantime they look good on the shelf and can take part in small skirmishes as required. I'll try to get a group shot at some stage.

Next in the drawer of shame, I found the Iron Golem war band from Warcry. If ever I play Warcry, I want to play with the Splintered Fang that you saw a couple of months ago. I wanted to paint the Iron Golem up to a good tabletop standard without going to too much effort. I had already base coated them several months ago and I had also hit the skin with the Darkoath Flesh contrast paint; I didn't want to spend ages on skin because...I just don't like painting skin!

I ended up painting a test model last Sunday...and just found the colour scheme easy and quick to paint. So, despite being back at work this week, with only a couple of hours a day, I cranked out the whole war band. I hope you like them:

I forgot just how much I enjoy the simplicity of painting metals. I also totally forgot how fun Blood for the Blood God is to use; and how good it looks with just a blob here and there, smeared with a thumb.

Anyway, I'll be getting off. I have some Lizardmen to paint...
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Iron Golem Warband
« Reply #444 on: June 7, 2020, 10:32:30 PM »
Great job, Loosh, I love both the pox walkers (which are some of the best ones I've seen) and the Iron Golems. The Iron Golems maybe a quick and simple scheme, but you've painted in such a way that I do not even notice or think that.

Excellence as always!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #445 on: June 8, 2020, 01:05:09 AM »
I once won a painting comp with a model that took less than an hour to paint. Sometimes less means more, they look professional none the less, great work.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #446 on: June 8, 2020, 06:02:30 PM »
Every things looking great Looshkin. The red boils  really stand out on the pox walkers, you'll be able to notice that detail even on the tabletop.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Howling Banshees
« Reply #447 on: July 4, 2020, 10:14:18 AM »
Thanks for the feedback fellas! Glad you like the pox walkers and the Iron Golems.

Since then, I've started and aborted a bunch of projects. I went back to work and that has been hectic and busy. I also had to have 10 days fully immersed in The Last of Us 2. It took 10 days because I had to adopt the foetal position, hug myself and cry a couple of times...

In amongst that, I started work on the Lizardmen Blood Bowl team. You know the drill; I choose a real American Football team and try to match their colour scheme with one of the fantasy options. In this case, I decided to do the Detroit Lions. It was also my first real foray into using contrast paints for a large portion of the model (The skin):

On it's own, the skin looks great:

Unfortunately, that skin tone was totally wrong for the colour scheme:

It's just too green. It would look brilliant as a base for a Miami Dolphins type team, but I've already done them. I've shelved that project for a bit, as I was waiting for ages for a blue contrast paint to be delivered (it wasn't and I had to wait for the shops to open again to pop to the local store to get supplies). I know what I'll do once I restart the project, but for the moment I've taken a break from them because they frustrated me a lot when trying my test scheme.

Next up, I dug out all of the Deathwatch minis from the standalone game from a few years ago. I decided, after watching a YouTube guide from Artis Opus, to do the black as a drybrushed scheme. They make it look very simple, so I picked up a box of their drybrushes (I already use their Series S detail brushes...which are superb) and got to work.

Unfortunately I didn't get far; I touched up the black airbrush base layer I put down ages ago and then stippled on a healthy amount of Eshin Grey as a zenith highlight so I wouldn't be working from a flat, black base:

Please note the alarming amount of hair over each model...I swear, living in 1 room with 2 cats that barely go outside, even though the window is open for them 16 hours a day, is going to drive me potty. Hair everywhere all the time. My work space attracts it. It's a proper pain in the bum.

Anyhoo...that's as far as the project got. I'm waiting on anywhere to have Grey Seer in, as that's the next stage of dry brushing. So yeah...another failed start to a project. Gah!

Next up, I decided to work on something that might make some of you quite happy...

Eldar! Aeldari! Craftworlders! Banshees!

Yup, for only the 2nd time on this little log, I decided to work on what everyone else works on most of the time.

The main trouble in the past is that my colour scheme for my Alaitoc Eldar was too busy. I wanted all the troops to have uniformity, including all of the Aspect Warriors. It looks good enough on a tabletop, but it had too many stages to paint and when I look back on the models now, I think that they have too much going on.

For reference, my Alaitoc Autarch:

Technically, it's fine. Indeed, I learnt a few things painting this guy and at the time he was one of my favourite models. However, the blue is very blue and clashes with the red that is really, really red...meanwhile the yellow is jostling for position. The only thing that isn't fighting is the bone coloured elements...and they aren't nearly smooth enough for my tastes now.

Compare that to one of my favourite models now:

The colour balance is what stands out for me. There is only one colour contrasting with the blue and that's the iconic crimson. The gold elements are small enough to not grab attention, while the grey, whites and silver are all fairly cool colours and are colour neutral as a result. My ability with a brush has definitely improved in between painting each model, but not to a degree by which the Autarch couldn't look very similar if I used a better colour scheme.

So what to do about my Alaitoc?

The unfortunate answer was that the yellow absolutely had to go. I never thought it was anything other than silly that the stealthiest of all the craft worlds paraded about with bright yellow helmets. It's bonkers. I also decided to use the red only as a spot colour, not as a 2nd colour that dominates large portions of the model.

The result:

So yeah. Even just looking at those photos while uploading, I've spotted a couple of tiny bits to touch up...I also think another armour highlight wouldn't go amiss in a couple of spots...but generally, I'm really happy. Especially seeing it's my first ever Banshee.

I had tried to do the Power Sword using traditional brushes and glazes and things...but my skills aren't quite there yet. I also don't have my wet palette for working on several models at once. So I attacked it with the airbrush. I try to steer clear of the airbrush for anything other than large models or base coats, but, for 45 minutes' work, I painted 8 swords in total and am somewhat happy with the results. Definitely an area to improve upon moving forward.

So she is my test model, but I have the other 4 in the squad with armour requiring a highlight, but with the power swords complete...so just all the details to do. Actually the quickest part of the models for me. Hopefully I'll bang them all out this week.

I did go back and do the swords on a couple of Crimson Fist Lieutenants and a Captain too:

I was struggling a tiny bit with flow through the airbrush by the end, but I just wanted to do something with the marines so that they can stop nagging at me to paint their swords.

So there you go. 1 month, a lot of aborted projects, but 1 Howling Banshee that I'm really pleased with and 3 Crimson Fists that can go back on the shelf and stop haunting me!

I appreciate that this is an absolute wall of text, so thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my ramblings.

TLDR: I painted a Howling Banshee and failed to paint some other stuff.
« Last Edit: July 4, 2020, 12:06:19 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #448 on: July 4, 2020, 11:35:13 AM »
Awesome work, Looshkin!

I love the color scheme for your banshees, very beautiful!

The Lizardmen Team are coming out very well, love the stone-colored skin you've given the Sarus.

Don't fret about the power swords, they look quite decent and you know what, sometimes you have to settle for decent when you're learning something. Same thing for me when I first started painting Idoneth :).

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #449 on: July 4, 2020, 12:06:51 PM »
The Howling Banshee looks great and I agree that omitting the yellow does solve a lot of the problems with the colour palette.  The original Autarch that you painted actually looks good though, especially when you consider that a Rogue Trader and second edition colour scheme was very much all about clashing bright colours :D.  If you look at the paint scheme you chose in that context then it was entirely appropriate.  Of course, Autarchs were introduced in third edition, so it does not quite work as an argument, but I think that it can be stretched to fit in the name of artistic licence ;).

You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #450 on: July 5, 2020, 04:54:33 AM »
YES! Finally a return to Aeldari! So pumped about these Banshees, they look fantastic thus far (as do the other models!) and I really, really like the paint scheme. I do think the yellow does work, but there is no reason to implement if you dont like it yourself. This scheme you cooked up is perfect though! Its darker, more sinister and gives an almost 30k vibe... its still vibrant and popping, but far moodier and I love it.

Everything looks just fantastic as always Loosh, so happy to see your work man. I gotta get me some Banshees just amazing sculpts. Great stuff and super inspiring keep trucking brother
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #451 on: July 5, 2020, 06:16:55 AM »
They all look grat Looshkin!

I love the banshee swords, I see a lot of poeple try ti do a white line down the middle of the sword, but way you have done it is waaay better :)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #452 on: July 13, 2020, 01:08:34 PM »
They all look grat Looshkin!

I love the banshee swords, I see a lot of poeple try ti do a white line down the middle of the sword, but way you have done it is waaay better :)

I'm just not skilled enough to do a consistent, thin white line down the middle of the sword! That's the reasoning!

But I think it's important to know your limitations and work to them, while occasionally trying to push them...you never progress without trying new things (hence the airbrush swords), but there's no quicker way to ruin a model than trying something way out of your league and getting it badly wrong.

YES! Finally a return to Aeldari! So pumped about these Banshees, they look fantastic thus far (as do the other models!) and I really, really like the paint scheme. I do think the yellow does work, but there is no reason to implement if you dont like it yourself. This scheme you cooked up is perfect though! Its darker, more sinister and gives an almost 30k vibe... its still vibrant and popping, but far moodier and I love it.

Everything looks just fantastic as always Loosh, so happy to see your work man. I gotta get me some Banshees just amazing sculpts. Great stuff and super inspiring keep trucking brother

Thought you might be pleased with the subject matter Cav! If I had more Aeldari sets with me, I would work through all of them, as I'm really liking the plastics at the moment. The Howling Banshees are a beautiful and, frankly, simple set to work with.

I think the yellow works...somewhat. I think that yellow, plus a rich blue, plus another spot colour...does not. That was the reason for dropping the yellow. I could have used it as the spot colour instead of red, but the red is more sinister, as you say, and to be honest, red is so much easier to work with than yellow.

My next project isn't Eldar, but hopefully I can slot them into the rotation in the near future.

The Howling Banshee looks great and I agree that omitting the yellow does solve a lot of the problems with the colour palette.  The original Autarch that you painted actually looks good though, especially when you consider that a Rogue Trader and second edition colour scheme was very much all about clashing bright colours :D.  If you look at the paint scheme you chose in that context then it was entirely appropriate.  Of course, Autarchs were introduced in third edition, so it does not quite work as an argument, but I think that it can be stretched to fit in the name of artistic licence ;).

Such now Iri with your pointing out of facts and colour scheme timeline...let's just say that it took me quite a while to move past all the painting lessons I learnt while staring at early 90s White Dwarfs!

Awesome work, Looshkin!

I love the color scheme for your banshees, very beautiful!

The Lizardmen Team are coming out very well, love the stone-colored skin you've given the Sarus.

Don't fret about the power swords, they look quite decent and you know what, sometimes you have to settle for decent when you're learning something. Same thing for me when I first started painting Idoneth :).

Glad you like the Banshees Myen'Tal. As far as the Saurus...the scales that I painted grey/white are going to likely stay the same. The turquoise skin is what doesn't work at all, so will be the number 1 thing to change. I will have to change the colours of some other things, but it'll likely be simple swaps like reversing the colours on the shorts (Otherwise, too much blue.).

Still, that project is on the shelf at the moment. I have more robotic things to work on!

So,, progress check:

The Banshees are finished:

I did check the Games Workshop website and saw that they don't have any Banshees painted by hobbyists on the Howling Banshee shop page...I think I might just fire them an image on instagram and see if I can get these girls featured. That would be fun.

Also, I love the little Banshee Shrine that comes with the set. Better than the Dire Avenger Shrine that comes with that set, as it's more chunky and ridiculously easy to paint. It takes no time at all and is a very nice little objective marker for games.

Next up, more 40k. This time, horsies.

Kinda:

Can I just say that I'm loving the Adeptus Mechanicus Grey spray as a basecoat? It's a lovely rattle can and the coverage is tremendous while allowing the detail to stand out.

I then hit the models with an all over Leadbelcher spray:

And then brushed on Nuln Oil (Not the gloss version. I'm not a fan of the gloss finish...it kinda just looks like you've used too much shade and it's pooled, imho)

It's very dark at the moment, but when I dry brush it back up, it should have nice depth and a lot more brightness too.

So there you go. As always, thank you for stopping by and thank you to those that have commented. Please feel free to drop your thoughts and any feedback or criticisms that you might have; I may not always agree with the feedback, but I'm certainly won't dismiss it and have often changed models drastically after people have hit me with some home truths.

Thanks all!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #453 on: July 13, 2020, 03:03:34 PM »
The Howling Banshees have turned out magnificently.  The blue has a very deep and shadowy quality to it which really fits with Alaitoc, yet you have successfully retained the colour of the Eldar more subtly with the weapons and masks.  This is really high quality painting.

I would definitely write to Games Workshop to see whether your Howling Banshees can be featured.  You never know, someone there might say yes.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #454 on: July 13, 2020, 06:58:41 PM »
Hi! Man the banshees look great! I just got my first box of the plastic banshees, not assembled yet. I'm actually doing a commission of the ad mech horsie's and jump troops, can't wait to see yours done.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #455 on: July 13, 2020, 07:47:51 PM »
The Banshees look absolutely stunning, Loosh! Great work!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #456 on: July 14, 2020, 10:35:04 AM »
I did check the Games Workshop website and saw that they don't have any Banshees painted by hobbyists on the Howling Banshee shop page...I think I might just fire them an image on instagram and see if I can get these girls featured. That would be fun. 

A white background is a must, but your Banshees are without a doubt good enough to be featured by Games Workshop. Have a look at their The Model Photograph article.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #457 on: July 14, 2020, 05:04:58 PM »
The Banshee's look awesome, it's a nice touch for GW to pop the scenery bit in, like they did in the Dire Avenger kit. I hope they continue it with any new aspect sculpts.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #458 on: July 19, 2020, 08:05:56 AM »
Thank you all for your kind comments about the Banshees. Let me clear up one slight misconception though; I'm not looking to get my models featured in White Dark or anything so grandiose. I think my minis are decent, but they can't hold a candle to the models that grace the pages of WD. All I'd be doing is taking a photo and tagging it with the hashtag on Instagram that makes the community team notice...and if they like it, they add a photo to the webstore page for the unit to show buyers how other people have painted their models. The ones I've seen are usually a similar standard or slightly worse than mine, so I'd be in with a shout. There aren't any photos for Banshees on the webstore page, so that's why I thought it would be fun. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anyway, moving on...

I made good progress with the Serberys Raiders and finished them in a week. Very rapid for me!

Pictures...with a caveat; my Lightbox has broken, so the lighting in my room is not very good so nothing can be done about that. Hopefully they still give a good impression of what I've done:

Sorry about the blurriness in a couple of the pictures. To get the focus right I had to zoom in with my iPhone, but that just accentuates any slight instability in my model-holding hand.

So I now have a decision to make as to what I work on next:

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #459 on: July 19, 2020, 03:26:16 PM »
The Raiders look stunning, Loosh! Shame about the lightbox, I need to start using mine again, but I've been lazy lol. Mechanicus can be deceivingly complicated to paint, as while it's mostly metallic, there's so much filigree and then the robes. Good job finishing them in a week!