News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Call it Relatively New Guy Curiousity  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
Call it Relatively New Guy Curiousity
« on: March 13, 2013, 08:43:07 PM »
Ok...I still consider myself relatively new to the whole of the blog experience.   I don't write much of my own stuff...I do try to stay involved on a monthly basis in what's going on, who's posting what army for review, the whole "Well, what do you think?" enchilada.  So, here it is almost mid-month March, and there's really not a lot happening on the site...I don't see the "normal" (again, relative...) contest or challenge or smack down or over abundance of lists and spoiler alerts from other sites...It's like watching the old westerns when the town is really quiet before the gunfight...complete with tumbleweeds blowing across center stage.  Now, before someone comes screaming out of the ether and tells me that everyone is really busy this time of year, and the business as usual will pick up eventually, and taxes are due, and life happens...I get it.  I'm there too.  I'm just curious.  Is March a collective catch your breath for the long haul that will take us into July and August?  Don't do alot, but enough so that when we issue the clarion call that everyone will have something new, unique, and outrageous to share?  Hope so...I've come to really enjoy my time on this site.  I don't get here nearly as much as I want to, but just enough to ensure that I can keep my feet wet and my ears open to the latest buzz from the resident "big boyz".  This site has become a sort of haven on the web for us who tinker, who create, who write, and gripe about our favorite 40k army/race.  This site really showed me that you don't have to be perfect to play and collect and create, just insane enough to never say "Well, I got enough ork stuff...mayber I'm done."  This site also showed me that this web community can come together and support one of their own during the tough times that life dishes out to us, and you know who you are, thanks... I'm hopin' we're not collectively running out of steam and deciding that this site just requires too much time and energy...That would be the greatest shame of all...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline travisb7

• Ork Boy
Re: Call it Relatively New Guy Curiousity
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:34:01 PM »
Honestly? March has been quiet because the site has had some technical issues over the past few weeks (namely, ALL posts disappeared, and no new posts could be created).

That's why it is so quiet :D

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:39:51 PM »
Actually I was going to be running an event this month, but a combination of the site errorors at the beginning of the month as well as real life complications made me have to postpone it for the time being.  This "event" was (or rather I should say is) my new year's resolution and unlike the majority of people I know I keep those resolutions.  March on its own though generally see's a number of difficulties for a number of people, many of which you outlined in your post, but for students it's doubly hard as that's Midterm season (god I miss college already).

I don't like speaking on the behalf of the other Warbosses these days, but I assure you we are in the planning phase for something in April.  It's not my event, so I don't feel right announcing it to the community, but it's coming together.

By the way Ork E Nuff I'm glad to see you have such passion for the WotW.  It's creation was a big part of my life, and even though I haven't been a major player in it's ongoing development lately, I still care deeply about it's future and continued existence.  In fact your very words:
This site has become a sort of haven on the web for us who tinker, who create, who write, and gripe about our favorite 40k army/race.  This site really showed me that you don't have to be perfect to play and collect and create, just insane enough to never say "Well, I got enough ork stuff...mayber I'm done."  This site also showed me that this web community can come together and support one of their own during the tough times
are the EXACT hopes we all had when we created the WotW, and all felt a bit foolish for having.  I say that last part because realistically many communities fall apart rather quickly, but the WotW has been going strong for 3 years!  Which is incredible, especially when one realizes that the former attempts at similar Ork Chain of Command structures on this site lasted less than a single year.

I'm not saying that the WotW is perfect, but I can say that the current leadership of AoD, Skeetergod, Adamscurr and myself all deeply care about the community and are always working to find ways of both growing our community and rewarding the community with events like Campaigns, Contests, Unit of the Month discussions, the Toof Bank, Fluff Competitions, the Junkyard build offs, and any other ideas that we bash together like an Ork Mek hammering away at a piece of scrap.

Another thing to consider is that because of the relative age of the codex, there generally aren't that many newcomers posting lists, but various rumor mills have been churning with the possibilities of a new Ork dex coming next year, and regardless of the validity or invalidity of those rumours, interest is peaked and therefore traffic within our forums will be picking up as people get into the Ork mindset again.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 09:19:58 AM »
I'd agree that the site issues probably have alot to do with the low traffic and amount of posts which I agree is a bit of a shame as I always like to have new posts to read.

Perhaps we should all try to take the time to post a couple of new threads each week to try to get the interest back up, I find I spend more time on the site when more is happening and I'm sure others are the same.

I'm off to start some new threads, now I just need to think of something to talk about  :P

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 10:44:15 AM »
I agree that the forum has suffered a bit. I see it as my fault, as I have been overly busy going through training for my new job, and moving, and all that stuff that comes with it. I actually found myself having withdrawals from talking with fellow orks and playing the game.

While the pain is less now, there are still pangs, and so even though I have way too much other stuff to do, I log on and check it out and try to keep track of the stuff going on.

Next month after I finish my training and maybe get settled in my new location will have me much more active and posting more.

Only two more weeks and life will be much more groovy.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 10:56:34 PM »
Aside from all the work recently as for some reason work has picked up 10 fold and I am running out of time to do anything.  Florida has a really weird season, when everyone else is trying to get away, everyone else is coming here.  So aside from that non-sense.

Speaking personally my main army design really got a pounding at the end of 5th with the FAQ's hammering a big mek's kff.  Then when sixth came out hull points + the kff nerf really pushed me away from the typical list which was sad because I loved my kan wall lists.  But since then i have been running more of a hybrid list and also have been utilizing allies and actually went to one of the last tourny's at my LGS.   It was a lot of fun.   

Before breaking my finger I decided to compete in The Challenge to motivate me to paint more models.  Though last year I was in something similiar and even though that died in a few months I considered painting between 1-2 FOC's a month.   With The Challenge I was painting even more models. 

As far as commenting on lists goes, i was a lot more active in 5th because I could speak from experience of playing a lot and tournament play as well it has taken me a long time to get into 6th and to be honest I still think 5th was better.  So I reserved from commenting on a lot. 

I have a few ideas including some custom flak traxx I want to work on.   So we have mentioned working on an event but with Skeet moving and everything else going on we haven't finalized everything.   But don't fret we always seem to come up with something to pick the board back up when it gets low...    ;)