News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How many Meganobz are too many Meganobz?  (Read 3727 times)

Offline Nobbla

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
How many Meganobz are too many Meganobz?
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:38:57 AM »

Hi
Plan to try a Death Star unit of Meganobz in a Battlewagon in a tournament list, but I am not sure many Meganobz shall I use without wasting points? I plan to run them together with a Mek with KFF and Boss pole.
I am thinking of using seven of them (excluding the Mek), but do anyone has an experience using such a unit and if so is it the right amount.
Thanks for replies!

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
Re: How many Meganobz are too many Meganobz?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 05:27:41 PM »
I've used up to 10 at one time...it is a point drain, but if you use them properly (transport, painboy, some sort of HQ).  They are CC godz, but, being something akin to slow and purposeful, they do tend to plod along.  They are gun targets; every cannon or big whatever from your opponents will target them, assuming they are that smart.  Mix up your arming; for every regular twin linked shoota, you need 2 kombi-skorchas and 2 kombi-rokkits.  Remember, you have pk, you will swing last.  Cybork them if you can, the invul save is worth it's weight in gold...If they have iron gobs, count that as a bosspole...ammo runts, attack squigs, etc...bring out the best in these monsters.  Good luck!
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 06:27:25 PM »
I have six that I often run with Ghaz in a battlewagon, they can take so much fire and will tear most things appart in CC.

Offline waylander1983

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:02:18 PM »
Simple answer is u can never have to many lol. 9 with a HQ in a battle wagon will draw soooooo much fire away from the rest of your boys that the 600 point sink is actually worth it for how many other things it helps survive. do the math hammer of just how nay bolter rounds it will take to kill 10 mega armoured 2 wound models and you will see what I mean. add mad dok for cybork bodies and feel no pain and people will start to dislike u! :)

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
  • Operate, operate, still time to operate! /Mad Dok
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:34:19 AM »
I've used up to 10 at one time...it is a point drain, but if you use them properly (transport, painboy, some sort of HQ).  They are CC godz, but, being something akin to slow and purposeful, they do tend to plod along.  They are gun targets; every cannon or big whatever from your opponents will target them, assuming they are that smart.  Mix up your arming; for every regular twin linked shoota, you need 2 kombi-skorchas and 2 kombi-rokkits.  Remember, you have pk, you will swing last.  Cybork them if you can, the invul save is worth it's weight in gold...If they have iron gobs, count that as a bosspole...ammo runts, attack squigs, etc...bring out the best in these monsters.  Good luck!

MEGA-Nobz can't have any goodies except kombies.  ;)

I often run a squad of 4-5 with either Gaz/Warbozz/Mek in a Battlewagon. They hit hard if you play them right. Good luck with them though, you will need it ;)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 11:50:15 AM »
I recommend taking nine with the mad doc. The mad doc can give them cybork, FNP, and makes them fearless which is not the detriment it was in last edition. Yes, you have to move towards the nearest enemy, but that is what you are doing anyway, so no big deal.

If you mount them in a BW, you can use it to block LOS so that the mad doc can't see what you don't want them to charge, and to see what you do want them to charge.

There are other deathstar units out there that are far more deadly than a mob of MaNs, so choose your fights carefully.

I prefer regular nobs over MaNs, as there is far more kit options, and no need for a special character to give them FNP and cybork. However the 2+/5+/5+ save of the MaNs is hard to beat, just make sure you take a character to provide them with the needed LD savers like either a boss pole or fearless.

Good hunting, and make sure you post a batrep with pictures  ;D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 10:27:04 PM »
I used to run 5 with my KFF Mek regularly in a BW...  While they are not as versatile as nobz or biker nobz, they are a whole lot cheaper for what you get...  You'll find you have to be a little choosy at what you assault... but they are a pretty good unit that will put some fear in your opponents...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #7 on: February 1, 2013, 02:06:20 PM »
Gretchin:  In the old days, of which I can physically harken back to, you could really kit out the MANZ.  Today, not so much...but, one can dream...and I still say, 10, regardless of the expense (or if you're playin' an apoc game) is just right.
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 1, 2013, 04:16:03 PM »
In my experience "Deathstar" units tend to underperform.  Add to that the very nature of the Ork codex which relies on multiple redundancy and a backup to the backup plan and Deathstar units seem even more unimpressive as it takes away from the army overall.  Of course that's just my standpoint.

I think the best bet for your tourney would not be a Deathstar unit of 10 Megas in a Battlewagon, but rather 2 units of 5 each in a Wagon possibly with a Mega Armored Boss.  That way instead of 1 super Ard unit your opponent would have to deal with 2 Termie equivalent units.  In fact you do have the possibility of going full Deff Wing with a grand total of 5 possible Meganob units.

Of course you still would have the same general problem that Megas have, which is a high susceptibility to force weapons, Ap2, Instadeath via Str8, Slow and Purposeful, and Ld if a Boss doesn't accompany or is killed in a Challenge.  Taking Grotsnik as Skeetergod suggested would help by giving them an Invul via Cybork Bodies, as well as FnP in the unit he's with, but even then he doesn't come with a Bosspole and WILL be targeted by every Precise Shot and Challenge possibility to take out your FnP bonuses.

If you really MUST have a deathstar unit, the best choice would really be a large horde of Biker Nobz with a Dok and 2 attached Biker Bosses.  Sure they don't have the 2+ of the Megas, but higher toughness, better guns, faster movement, the constant cover save from the Exhaust Cloud Special Rule, easy access to Cybork and FnP without taking up an HQ slot, and if you take a Boss or two with them he can separate for suicide runs against AV.  Sure it might be a suicide and I call the tactic just that, but in the last edition this Green Torpedo attack was the best way to take out a Land Raider or Monolith, and for the most part I believe it is still viable (although truthfully I haven't done it so far in 6th).

You could also have a unit of 8 Megas with Grotsnik and a Megaboss in a Wagon, it's the strongest and Ard-est that Megas can get.  It'd be a nice tough Deathstar unit, but frankly I don't think its a wise investment of points or the financial aspect of buying the minis (although konverting them would be great and I'd ask that you supply pictures if you go that route).

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
« Reply #9 on: February 2, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »
I'd have to agree with OD on this matter, orks aren't about Death Stars, and I don't think that the list will be that competitive.

However, if you are set on taking g lots of mega nobs, I recommend goi g for two separate squads, each of 4 or 5 guys, each in a battle wagon with deff rola. This means that that their is more redundancy in this list, and also that you can take on two units at once, without losing your charge bonus.
Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline Farseer Arendil

• Ork Boy
  • For the Craftworld
  • Armies: Alaitoc Eldar, Orks
« Reply #10 on: February 2, 2013, 09:57:11 PM »
I pass the nod to OD on this one.  Deathstar Orks tend to get crushed.  Sinking a ton of points into one unit of Orks tends to erode your boyz ability to load up on bodies and swamp most enemies in a tsunami of green choppy and shootiness.  However each game store has it's own meta and they might be the right thing for yours.
Besides, the FW DCCW is too damn awesome not to put it on a ven dread... Holy Moly! You know something? that's not even a proper DA ven dread; its a generic ven dread with a RW icon plastered on one side after half the icon's wing has been cut away, pathetic! :P

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #11 on: February 3, 2013, 07:46:04 PM »
Speaking of MANZ...  One of my favorite ways to run them is 3 MANZ in a trukk...  Give them each a  skorcha and you have a really cheap and vicious unit that your opponent cannot ignore because of their destructive potential...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!