News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: DE list for WD article against Tau  (Read 3920 times)

Offline -bill-

• Haemonculus: 2007 London 40K Online RTT Champion
    • Pine Lodge IFAs
DE list for WD article against Tau
« on: February 8, 2006, 08:00:27 AM »
Can I add a welcome to Xtapl - I hope you continue to post despite some scathing attacks - still a rarity on this particualr website whioch I must say is policed very well by the mods (no I'm not creeping)

On a related point - looking thru last months WD, I saw inside the back page that DE are to feature in a battle against Tau in the next issue of WD in UK - March issue released around 26th.

So any suggestions for list - of course you have to guarantee that DE will lose to one of the worst cc armies otherwise GW won't sell much Tau. So lets see no wwp and lots of entangled squads being shot to pieces before they can cc the wrong things.

Oh I know I'm getting much too cynical in my old age.

Offline Deamian

• Sybarite
  • Have a Fishystick!
DE list for WD article against Tau
« Reply #1 on: February 8, 2006, 08:11:28 AM »
They'll probably have mostly infantry DE force without a WWP...they don't want the shiny new tau to loose.

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
Re: DE list for WD article against Tau
« Reply #2 on: February 8, 2006, 08:39:40 AM »
Seems to be a good topic for a separate discussion.
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2006, 11:25:07 AM »
I am doubtful that it will be anything special. If I had to place a bet on it then I'd say it will be a rather uninspiring and inefficient hybrid list using the Studio army, mixing a few assaulty squads in Raiders with lots of ground-pounders. There will be little flaws just to make the list properly irritating to vets, like a Retinue that has an Incubus with a Shredder, or Raider Squads that have a 'naked' Sybarite. Vect might be there if it's a high enough pointer game. If it uses a WWP, I'd expect to see only one, and probably only used to let loose a Talos. My next likely choice would be for a Wych Cult led by Lelith. 

I imagine the battle will be demonstrative of Tau strengths and weaknesses. They'll blow loads of stuff away at range, and take some losses in assault to any DE that make it through the firestorm, but pull their asses out of the fire by redeploying their fast jet-pack suits to shoot the DE units after the melees are over. Needless to say, I think it's odds on that the Tau will win. You never know though. WD batreps aren't quite like they used to be. Sometimes they go against the grain, and use a non-Studio army played by someone highly competant. I'd *love* to see a proper WWP army or a cunningly used Raider fleet trouncing the new Tau.

Nothing can be asserted as definate. We'll have to wait and see. DE players are all cynics, so we know where the money is - weak list, Tau victorious slaughter - but we just might get a nice surprise.

Offline Alasdair

« Reply #4 on: February 8, 2006, 12:31:31 PM »
I highly doubt the DE army will win. The Tau army will have undoubtably been designed to showcase the strengths of the Tau army so we'll get blown away at range and the units that do reach close combat will be picked off by mobile battlesuit units after the combat is over exactly like Lomendil said.

After all how could GW let the new Tau lose, they DO want all those kids to go out and buy tau don't they?  It would be great if we won, but we probably won't.

Offline Xtapl

• Speed is my armor.
« Reply #5 on: February 8, 2006, 12:36:15 PM »
If past WD battle reports are any indication, DE don't stand a chance. I think they will try to portray a tight game, but army-of-the-month NEVER loses the batrep. Ever.

Offline CODEXsc

• Sybarite
« Reply #6 on: February 8, 2006, 03:13:39 PM »
Like it was said before. You cant let the shiny new tau loose. Unless there is a propper wwp list by a veteran then the battle is going to be stupid.

They are going to make the best army in the game loose to a fire based army. It is saying noobs pick tau they can sit back and shoot anytihng. Dont play dark eldar cause they are weak and fragile. Well i say bs to that. I hate when they do that to the dark eldar. So i really hope they do a good job and dont let the dark eldar shot to pieces.

Offline Archon Khiraq(danceman)

• The Devil in Pale Moonlight
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • What's the matter? Don't you like clowns?
« Reply #7 on: February 8, 2006, 03:39:14 PM »
DE will loose...

then the two playing will give length how suprisingly good Tau were while the DE player will go with "if i just had done that i´d won" or something. Remember the DE vs Eldar report anyone? the 3 golden rules... which they of course didnt play by.
Im very sceptical about this.

But on the great wonderful side of things they chose Dark Eldar to play against them, not some random SM army. Atleast we get some attention  :)
"The blade itself incites to acts of violence" - Homer.

Offline faithlessmonkeigh

• Dracon. Nope, no more title shenanigans.
  • let me!! judge you!!
« Reply #8 on: February 8, 2006, 04:12:28 PM »
ok buts lets imagine they did win... that would put a huge smile on my face- a huge one, HUGE!!!!
a real trouncing too, like you open the book and you see the armylist... and its good, adn then - by turn 4, all tau are gone.

GW surprised us recently - we were in the white dwarf
that is quite an achievement for us, who knows what they are gonna do next.

i dont care waht you guys say - the new tau force will lose, because the new guy doesnt know how to utilise the new uinits, and the DE will trounce 'em.

la la la la im not listening to what anyone else has to say contrary.

i am praying though

faithless

...Aaaaaaaand you completely missed the point of the topic.  Thanks.
-Kyure -

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: February 8, 2006, 07:07:27 PM »
I was hoping to see what you guys would take if you were picked to fight Tau for a WD article.  I'm just curious to see if anyone produces a list that comes close to the one that gets used in the article.  I can't put one together until later on this week since I'm away on a trip.
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Talos Claw

• Unit Creation and Point Cost Guide
« Reply #10 on: February 8, 2006, 07:40:52 PM »
My choice would be several Ravagers with a bunch of Raiders, mostly filled with Grotesques. But...what they will actually have.... :)

Maybe something like -

Archon, Incubi + Master, 2xShredder (foot)

2x10xWarriors (Raiders)

1xTalos (foot)

Warp Beasts (foot)

Scourge, Hellions, or Mandrakes, which will probably do the best of all the DE units and get lots of people buying them.

But...that might be just me.  :)

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #11 on: February 8, 2006, 07:50:31 PM »
I'd take my usual WWP list, only with 2 Haemonculi as deployers. I think it highly unlikely that GW would use anything remotely like it though.

• let me!! judge you!!
« Reply #12 on: February 8, 2006, 07:51:49 PM »
my list for 2000 points is usually as follows....

2x warrior squad- blasters/splinterrifles footsloggers
2x raiders
lelith hexpirax with her veteran drugs wyches
1x wyche squad
1x dracon with 5 man incubi
12x mandrakes
5x man scourges - 4 splinter rifles
1x 3 man tank hunter jet bike squad

i think thats around it

not my personal favourite for killing tau- but it has to do, thats all i got.

with lelith i can gaurantee combat in turn one - 12" deplyment, 12" move, 2" dismount, 1-6" fleet role, combat drug chosen- 12" assault- 39" - 44" range from my table edge.

second wyche squad charges also -

dracon stays back

second attack comes in the form of mandrakes, scourges, lord and jet bike

a tactic that is not optimised but i need more models before i can go to a better stratedgy

faithless

-Kyure -

Offline Bannedface666

• BANNED - Spammer: Forum Blathermouth | Archite
  • Artist for hire... Mostly banned :)
    • cubiclebattles
« Reply #13 on: February 8, 2006, 10:05:51 PM »
This is going to be ugly folks.

I can imagine Tau railguns firing on raiders out in the open, killing all the wyches on board, teaching new players "The danger of using transports recklessly"

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
« Reply #14 on: February 8, 2006, 11:28:41 PM »
Thinking about it, I'd use my Wych Cult against Tau.  But I doubt GW would use an alternative list when debuting a redone army.

Offline Mahahelel

• Grotesque
« Reply #15 on: February 9, 2006, 12:05:03 AM »
Scourge, Hellions, or Mandrakes, which will probably do the best of all the DE units and get lots of people buying them.

Mandrakes are actually very good againat Tau. If I was going to talior my list towards Tau I would include at least one squad of mandrakes.
To absent friends...
Pfc. Nicholas J. Greer Oct. 7th 2005 C Co. 3/504 PIR 82nd
Sgt. Eric A. Fifer Oct. 7th 2005 C Co. 3/504 PIR 82nd
Sgt. Charles Wyckoff Jun. 6th 2008 C Co. 1/508 PIR 82nd

Offline interpretivechaos

• Luck is what you make of it
« Reply #16 on: February 9, 2006, 12:24:33 AM »
I severely doubt it will happen, but I would find it extremely interesting if they played Army of Shadows vs the Tau, 30 mandrakes, decapitator, Deepstriking Raiders and Ravagers...

And now we demonstrate the great ability of the new snipe- ooh... where'd that come from?

• let me!! judge you!!
« Reply #17 on: February 9, 2006, 03:25:18 AM »
bloody good point Intellectawe, we can be hopeful that this will teach the newbs how not to play DE... make that a new rule for GW- whenever GW says anything about the DE, you do the exact opposite.

It's just GW's secret code for hints and special techniques

.....sigh, if only

faithless

-Kyure -

Offline Topswill

• Dark Eldar rock
« Reply #18 on: February 9, 2006, 08:28:48 AM »
 8) My brother plays Tau & they are difficult to crack.
I would go for bikes 10 of them. added T & better save.
Got 1 haemie on a bike & my archon's on a bike as well.
2 ravagers
3 raiders of which 1 with wyches.
Then you could go either way.
Get a haemie & a portal
or
Go for another raider with some more troops.
Another combo which is my actual favorite is the warp beast pack.

Oh & do not forget that our bikes get to move in the assault phase as well which is fun to use vs. Tau  ;D
The best tactic is to make him run! Charge the 24" forward & hope for the best (glancing hits). He will not kill everything, you will get something in cc the next round and start killing him off. Note the archon & haemie in the bike squad are just awesome killing cc machines! TAU suck in CC!!

Watch those stupid stealth suits though they will hit you first with an S4 I believe.
I think a portal army would be best against Tau though. The HQ has the ability to aim at different units per model in the unit. They all have targetters if wanted...well not all that good vs. limited amount of targets (they will die)
Kill, pillage, rape, murder...for a DARK Eldar doesn't sleep on a soft pillow of feathers and cuddle stuffed animals.

Offline Bannedface666

• BANNED - Spammer: Forum Blathermouth | Archite
  • Artist for hire... Mostly banned :)
    • cubiclebattles
« Reply #19 on: February 9, 2006, 09:42:41 AM »
8) My brother plays Tau & they are difficult to crack.
I would go for bikes 10 of them. added T & better save.
Got 1 haemie on a bike & my archon's on a bike as well.
2 ravagers
3 raiders of which 1 with wyches.
Then you could go either way.
Get a haemie & a portal
or
Go for another raider with some more troops.
Another combo which is my actual favorite is the warp beast pack.

Oh & do not forget that our bikes get to move in the assault phase as well which is fun to use vs. Tau  ;D
The best tactic is to make him run! Charge the 24" forward & hope for the best (glancing hits). He will not kill everything, you will get something in cc the next round and start killing him off. Note the archon & haemie in the bike squad are just awesome killing cc machines! TAU suck in CC!!

Watch those stupid stealth suits though they will hit you first with an S4 I believe.
I think a portal army would be best against Tau though. The HQ has the ability to aim at different units per model in the unit. They all have targetters if wanted...well not all that good vs. limited amount of targets (they will die)

I know this is a bit of topic, but in my opinion Tau are easy to crack. But will the inability for Tau to adapt to the speed of DE be shown?

Will Wyches and/or a tooled up Archon with incubi force Tau to break and run due to low leadership be shown?

Will Tau units be pinned due to low leadership against 4+ Horrorfexes by shown?

Will the fact that DE are better at EVERY phase of the game be shown? DE can out manuver Tau, DE can easily out shoot the Tau, and DE in their sleep can out assault Tau. But will this be shown?

I am telling you guys, the only thing this report is gonna show is how POWERFUL Tau guns are when they are blowing the weakest Vehicle in the game out of the sky every turn.

Will every squad of warriors carry 2 Dark Lances? Hells no.

DE has been represented POORLY ever since GW introduced them. Why would the DE win now?