News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Incorporating Craftworld colors into Aspect warrior amour.  (Read 3845 times)

Offline ZarathustraSuicuine

Which path do you do it? I'm thinking of getting some banshees or some Shining spears and have some fire dragons that I need to repaint to include into my Iyanden army, and am wondering how have people incorporated their craftworlds colors into the aspect warriors?
For my Swooping hawks I used yellow on the wings and robes, and regal blue on the helmets whilst maintaining the bulk of the turquoise traditional colors, am thinking of banners for Shining spears, but for the fire dragons and banshees I am not so sure.
Has anyone converted fire dragons to have banners like in the 2nd edition artwork?   I was thinking of possibly doing the Banshees hair and robes yellow, but not sure how that would go with the traditional bone white main color, has anyone used/seen good alternatives to it? Possibly an almost black purple blue? Or would that look too much like Dark Eldar?
EDIT: Just saw these CoolMiniOrNot - Craft world Yggdrasil: Howling Banshees by Stempe If I tried a similar purple with yellow for the hair and a dark blue for the robes and holsters, would that look good?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:38:47 PM by ZarathustraSuicuine »
Iyanden Eldar, Thousand sons. Yes I use Swooping Hawks, I find they work for me and I love the models.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Incorporating Craftworld colors into Aspect warrior amour.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 06:42:32 AM »
It's not really a question of whether we think it looks good, it's more a question of what you think.  You're going to be fielding the army, so if you want to employ some different colour schemes for your Aspect Warriors, then feel free to do so.  There is no rule stating that you must paint your models in accordance with the example paint schemes as laid down by GW.

I don't see any particular problem with the approach that you're taking.  Some may not like the combination of colours, others may love them, but that's all down to personal preference.  Go with the colour combinations you like the best is my advice.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Fealhach

• Armies: CWE, DE, IG, SoB and Crimson Fists
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 08:06:35 AM »
My opinion on using the traditional Aspect Warrior colours is it depends on how many different Aspects you use in your army: one or two, and they make a nice contrast to the general craftworld colours. Several Aspects and you start to get the 'Taste the rainbow' effect.

Your craftworld's colours will factor too. I use Avengers and Banshees which, although they're still in their Aspect colours, fit in with my craftworld colour scheme. The Dragons and Spiders I field with them provide some contrast.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 09:02:39 AM »
Thanks, just wanted to sound ideas to make sure they did were not ridiculous. I think I will go for the smooth dark purple for the banshees and either a pale orange or pale grey/white for the fire dragons and just banners for Shining spears and dragon exarch, may use some from the old 2nd edition codex.
Iyanden Eldar, Thousand sons. Yes I use Swooping Hawks, I find they work for me and I love the models.

Offline Purdy81

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 11:40:20 AM »
Ive got at least one squad of each aspect, all painted in aspect colours, however every model that has got some sort of cloth, be it loin cloths on banshees, bottom cloth of avengers e.t.c e.t.c are all painted the same colour, even the little tassels around guardians wastes.

Really does seem to bring them together rather than being a hodgepodge, eye lenses are all the same too

Offline Rip of Zahr-Tann

• Autarch of the Brown & Black Attack
  • Armies: Zahr-Tann, Poisoned Tongue, Sa'cea Sept
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 03:31:05 PM »
I've simply gone for whichever colour scheme I think looks best on each Aspect but tried to incorporate elements of the Craftworld's colour scheme (Zahr-Tann, so brown and blue) into each squad to try and make the army look unified.

Dire Avengers - blue plates over a silver bodysuit, brown sash, helmet silver or red depending on shrine
Fire Dragons - red plates over a black bodysuit, helmets red or black depending on shrine
Warp Spiders - dark brown armour, bone helmets
Howling Banshees - black armour, bone helmets, orange manes, brown sashes
Striking Scorpions - Gretchin Green plates over black bodysuit
Dark Reapers - dark brown armour with silver faceplates (2nd edition models)
"You call our technology witchcraft because you do not understand anything beyond the ancient designs your ancestors used. You kill anything that does not conform to your hideous and narrow view of the galaxy. You blunder into every trap set along your path because you refuse to look into the future and consider every consequence. How your species inherited the stars is a mystery beyond our understanding." - Autarch Narios Starblade of Zahr-Tann

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 04:49:12 PM »
As others have said, a lot of how you approach something like this depends on the colours you are using. However, is also depends a lot on HOW you use them.

For instance, Alaitoc is Blue and Yellow. If you use the codex scheme, a blue body with a yellow head, then you have particular limitations which you have to deal with. If you have a yellow undersuit and blue plates, you have a different set of limitations.

For wholesale integration, I find the schemes with the undersuit one colour, and the armoured plates another to be the most versatile. You can maintain a consistent undersuit colour throughout the entire army, without the need to over think things. For instance, my Eldar colours are Red and Green, with a red undersuit and green armour. The red undersuit is present on all my aspect warriors as well, regardless of whether it’s the bone armour of my Banshees, or the black armour of the Dark Reapers.

With the exception of the Fire Dragons (red undersuit and orange plates doesn’t offer much definition) the uniformity prevents the whole ‘taste the rainbow’ effect, while still maintaining the individuality of the different aspects.

That’s not to say that all colours would work as well as Red, however, since it’s rather general and tends to go with just about everything. Aliatoc colours are a little more touchy, in my experience, and may require something of a more deft touch… Have you considered painting a single arm of all your aspect warriors in traditional Craftworld colours? Would painting the weaponry in Alaitoc colours do?

Really, though, as Iri said, you have to try combinations out for yourself and see what works best. I’d recommend doing test schemes of (if you have them) spare Guardians first and see what you can come up with. You clearly want the Aspects to fit with the rest of the army, and not stand out as drastically as GW’s are want to, but only you can decide how much you want them to ‘pop’. And to do that, you have to experiment a little.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline finoro

• They couldn't hit a bull squiggoth at this range!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 03:25:47 AM »
My army(Alaitoc) is nearly all Aspect warriors. The only guys in traditional craftworld Blue with Yellow accents are Pilots who are hard to see and Rangers who are all wearing cloaks so its quite hard to see them too.

I found you can get something that looks like an army rather than a packet of Smarties by picking a few things and keeping it the same army wide.

Holsters and straps are made of whatever eldar use but they just use the best holster material for everybody. Weapons are all primarily wraithbone, maybe not the blades of power weapons but the hilts will be, so they will look the same army wide, from the greatest Titan Pulsar to the humblest Shuriken pistol. Likewise Soulstones and back pack vents.

When all the little touches on models are the same then it brings it all together.

Oh and as previously stated any cloth(other than Seer robes) should be one craftworld colour.

Guns are big and they are all the same colour, nearly everyone has a sash or a tassel and they are all the same colour, everyone has a soulstone.

It might not work absolutely on a model by model basis but it does produce an army.
The farseers of the Eldar are rich in lore and know all the ways of skinning cats. Do not ask which way is best lest the knowledge burn your soul.

Offline Calaeth

• Mind over Matter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 06:38:07 AM »
I took the liberty of uploading and linking to some pictures of my aspect warriors, all painted in my Biel-Tan scheme. You will see that the white and green colours are present in every model, yet the appearance differs enough so you can say which aspect the warrior belongs to. Shining Spears and Forgeworld models are not in this collection, since I do not play with them.

Here they are:

Guardian, DireAvenger, Pathfinder, SwoopingHawk, WarpSpider, HowlingBanshee, StrikingScorpion, FireDragon, DarkReaper, FarSeer   

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 08:52:03 PM »
It is all personal taste, an army made up of units in all the same colours, does look good, but if I was going to do that, I'd just paint marines. You can still create a some what uniformed effect by having other links, say gun colours all the same, clothes as has been said, and Mech colour schemes.

« Reply #10 on: May 1, 2012, 07:15:58 AM »
With the exception of my swooping hawks, all the weapons will be bronze, will post up pics of my exarchs at the moment.
Calaeth: Those really nicely painted, and I now have the idea of painting Warp Spiders and/or Shining Spears with the Craftworlds yellow on their armour rather then robes and crests as I'm doing with the rest of my aspect warriors.